ECNL post season stucture '22-'23

You never know how the Champion League seeding will shake out from one year to the next. The ECNL always states that it will be based on their discretion. I don't recall them using the Showcase games for seeding purposes last year.

Please someone screenshot what your looking at. What’s up there right now has been up there for weeks. Some of the nations top teams are in the bottom. Doesn’t make sense

Please someone screenshot what your looking at. What’s up there right now has been up there for weeks. Some of the nations top teams are in the bottom. Doesn’t make sense
I do not think you can find it on the ECNL App. You need to use a web browser. When viewing standings there is a dropdown box that you can select Champions League Seedings.

Choose "Champions League Seedings" from the dropdown either from the website or the ECNL App. It is also important to note that Division Winners get priority when determining the top seeds in each of the "11" brackets. Also, you cannot have two teams from the same conference within your bracket. If somebody can predict all of the brackets with this info you are a better man than most. lol

1686169614710.png

ECNL REGIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIP – WEST games are scheduled to start next Friday, June 16th. Teams from Northern California and Northwest coming.

No schedule posted yet. Sheesh

Maybe we should just fill-in the bracket and schedules ourselves and send them in to the ECNL. I'm pretty sure this group would do a better job of seeding than the League will do.

It is also important to note that Division Winners get priority when determining the top seeds in each of the "11" brackets.

I've suspected this was how the 1st place seeding worked, but with the expansion to 44 teams and the removal the wildcard the past few years never made much sense.

As the the conference winners with priorty, I bet you could have a conference winner where in that conference the second place team seed ranks higher because of better performance in showcases. It would be interesting to see how that scenario plays out. Does the Conf 2 place team get the 1st place seeding over the conference winner
Same if there are 2 or 3 teams from the same conference who are in the top 11 based on ppg in the champ league seeding line up. The idea that a conference winner gets priority would mean that true PPG standings really don't apply.

As i typed this out it just occured to me this is probably why it takes them so long to publish the groups, i suspect they massage this a bit more than i ever assumed

Choose "Champions League Seedings" from the dropdown either from the website or the ECNL App. It is also important to note that Division Winners get priority when determining the top seeds in each of the "11" brackets. Also, you cannot have two teams from the same conference within your bracket. If somebody can predict all of the brackets with this info you are a better man than most. lol

View attachment 17088
What makes you think that division winners get some sort of priority? Are you just speculating or is this documented somewhere? I thought they use the "seedings" as you show in your post to place 1-11 as the top seed in each group?

View attachment 17088
This seriously can’t be the final ECNL seedings? For example it’s saying Eagles Girls 2010 is the 14th 2010 team and Blues are the 22nd? That’s ridiculous.

This seriously can’t be the final ECNL seedings? For example it’s saying Eagles Girls 2010 is the 14th 2010 team and Blues are the 22nd? That’s ridiculous.

I think you are looking at standings. In the seedings Surf is #1, Eagles #12, and Blues #13. It looks to be based on PPG so if you are in a weaker division it's easier to have a higher PPG vs the Southwest where there are quite a few good teams to play against.

What makes you think that division winners get some sort of priority? Are you just speculating or is this documented somewhere? I thought they use the "seedings" as you show in your post to place 1-11 as the top seed in each group?
Historically, conference winners take the top seeds. Assuming this, the top 10 seeds will go to conference winners by pts/game - IIRC pts/game NOT including showcases. The Champions League Standing includes showcases. So, you can't necessarily use those to determine the order of the Top 10. It's even possible that a 2nd place conference team is above a conference winner in the Champions League Standings if there is a difference in the Showcase results. You'd have to go back to each Conference, find the winner, and use their conference record pts/game to determine the top 10 seeds. For the remaining "wildcards", they used the Champion's League Standing pts/game, which includes the Showcases. I never saw this in writing but was able to "back into" this logic using the first-round matchups for the oldest group last year. It might be different this year as the conferences have significantly changed. It would seem odd that the Southwest, with 17 teams only gets a single "conference winner" - same as the New England conference with 8 teams.

My question is… are there 10 conference winners or 12? The Southwest has Mojave and Sonoran, Ohio Valley has the North and South.

Historically, conference winners take the top seeds. Assuming this, the top 10 seeds will go to conference winners by pts/game - IIRC pts/game NOT including showcases. The Champions League Standing includes showcases. So, you can't necessarily use those to determine the order of the Top 10. It's even possible that a 2nd place conference team is above a conference winner in the Champions League Standings if there is a difference in the Showcase results. You'd have to go back to each Conference, find the winner, and use their conference record pts/game to determine the top 10 seeds. For the remaining "wildcards", they used the Champion's League Standing pts/game, which includes the Showcases. I never saw this in writing but was able to "back into" this logic using the first-round matchups for the oldest group last year. It might be different this year as the conferences have significantly changed. It would seem odd that the Southwest, with 17 teams only gets a single "conference winner" - same as the New England conference with 8 teams.
Ok, it looks like the Champions League Qualifier Standings removes non-Conference showcases. So, use that for the seeding conference winners. However, I believe you must go to the Champions League Standings to seed the remaining qualifiers.

If am correct, the seeding for the oldest age group would look like the following. Note that MVLA and Concorde both have 2 and 2/3 pts/game. Not sure how that tie will be broken

Conference winners

1PDANA312-0-0
2InternationalsOV2.8715-0-1
3Real CONW2.8412-0-1
4SlammersSW2.7821-1-1
5DKSCTex2.7219-0-3
6ConcordeSE2.6613-1-1
7MVLANor2.6615-0-3
8SLSCMW2.6412-1-1
9World ClassNE2.5712-2-0
10CharlotteMA2.338-0-4

Wildcards