CRL, California Regional League, 2016-2017 (04s) - Tech Specs

Blues - Dido 2-1 I.E. Surf

Surf tied it up off a header from a free kick.

Blues got the go ahead with a beautiful switch of the field to the winger on the run.

Great info not at all what we saw. Neither team will be at top of CRL so it's a building game anyway. Kale dominated the game start to finish.

I am more concerned about a coach ejection for continued foul language and a parent sideline of IE surf referring to girls as "**cking *itches"
Just goes to show you that no amount of bedazzled hats or shirts makes a parent classy.
Parents ruining the game all abound. Kale and his sidelines dead quiet so I have no idea what you are referring to.

Which brings me to a quick question- won't most of that team leave for either Legends DA OR Arsenal ECNL anyway next year?
I was sitting in the middle of this game and heard no foul language from IE surf parents. So, please stop trying to spread rumors about a team without the facts. As a parent of this team, I find it offensive if anyone were calling either team what you said and would approach that parent. What you probably heard (and I agree) is that Kale's team was constantly hacking our girls with intent to injure and we expressed our dissatisfaction with the play level. The ref did a good job at catching them in the act and giving us many free kicks. It's sad when a team has to resort to hacking players to win. In any case, I do agree, however, that coaches should never curse during a game. Kale's sideline was just as vocal as ours in favor of the hacking. They didn't like calls going against them.

Last edited:
Strange ending indeed, IE Surf West definitely was a surprise CRL Play In result but they earned it, just like everyone else. Of the teams in the league, it's no secret they're the underdog in these games.

But it should be seen as a great opportunity to challenge the girls who will probably be favored in their division come league. The toughest part is realistic expectations, and letting everyone, player and parents, what CRL means in the grand scheme of things. Last year my DD went through a similar experience, where in CSL the team was very competitive but in CRL it was another story, struggling against much tougher competition. The coach threw development out the window and played kickball trying to give our girls a shot at winning games in a league they were never going to finish in 1st. The girls got frustrated and not just losing, but playing awful soccer. From what I've seen, Bradbury and Butler have had bright spots with their girls and if the wins aren't there, the small victories are.

Keep your head up girls! Keep chipping away!

Agree 100% Tech. We know we are playing with house money and are definitely overmatched by the elite teams (RSC, Surf, & LAGSD - so far). However, we did earn our way in and have been competitive with the next level teams. Today's game against LAGSB was very competitive and we held a 1-0 lead about midway through the 2nd half. Our game against Kale was also competitive and at least the 1st half against your team. I've told the parents on our team to keep perspective after playing RSC, Surf, & LAGSD in consecutive games. Not only are these some of the top teams in SoCal, they are amongst the best in the country, with multiple YNT and D1 players. The experience we are getting is invaluable, particularly adjusting to the speed of play. We've never had the chance to play top tier 1 teams consistently and we are certainly taking our lumps, but it is only going to make us better down the road. And your right about the small victories, it's been great to see some of our girls, including mine, get just a little bit sharper, tighter, and faster with every game.

With respect to calling the LAGSD game 5 minutes early, we were surprised as well. In the end, it's neither here nor there in my opinion. I would have let it play out.

I was sitting in the middle of this game and heard no foul language from IE surf parents. So, please stop trying to spread rumors about a team without the facts. As a parent of this team, I find it offensive if anyone were calling either team "**cking itches" and would approach that parent. What you probably heard (and I agree) is that Kale's team was constantly hacking our girls with intent to injure and we expressed our dissatisfaction with the play level. The ref did a good job at catching them in the act and giving us many free kicks. It's sad when a team has to resort to hacking players to win. In any case, I do agree, however, that coaches should never curse during a game and our coach was caught this time and paid the price. I only heard him curse this one time though and not the entire game as someone put it. Kale's sideline was just as vocal as ours in favor of the hacking. They didn't like calls going against them.

I totally agree with the fact that your players are hacks.
Desperation leads to flopping and Hacking.
Kale was up there was no need for it.
Your parent was approached. They must be ashamed that they called a ten year old a "*ucking bitc*", they also must be ashamed that they chanted "dirty blues".
It was sad but it's clear the fish rots from he head with your team.
But seriously where can I get those bedazzled t shirts?

WIth regard to play and style of play some observations from lurking on this site for a long time.
The reason why this site really isnt effective anymore is because its impossible for Mom and Dad to be objective about what they see. We are all interrelated and have friends on various teams or "rival" teams so this forum lacks any consistent objectivity and in fact, truth. Its entertainment. When someone comes along like Will or Sped we freak out because they are saying something we arent ready for, or do not want to hear.
The "predictions" are worthless this year. The "fights" are dumb as well.
What I wish, which is next to impossible is that ACTUAL SOCCER TALK OCCURRED. I do not think it does because I do not think alot of people know what soccer looks like. Saying "great game..blah blah blah" can be texted to someone. How about actually dissecting a game? To me thats more interesting but no one here ever does that because that would be "calling out" 11 year old girls. Saying that a team is losing consistenly because of "X" would be uncouth and isnt appropriate at this age.
So take this for what it is- a random parents sideline understanding of what is happening and calling out whatever team they dont like for whatever reason or their little forum friends do not like. First targets? Blues and Surf EVERY TIME. Back up target? Rangers and Eagles.
This 04 rankings for this age group has to be one of the funniest threads I have ever seen. I knew we reached a new low when I saw that.

I bet that has been a great game!
Was a good game. Galaxy played very well and finally got a goal in a game they were the better team (obviously coming from a biased opinion) With that said Beach played well and there D did a great job of not letting galaxy get many clean shots off in their 3rd. Beach had some good shots where are keeper made nice saves and one pop fly shot that went off the crossbar. So in the end we were lucky to get the win.

The one observation that is most impressive in CRL to date is Surf has the second most goals scored and have not allowed a goal in any of their games. Easy to see why they are on top of the standings.

WIth regard to play and style of play some observations from lurking on this site for a long time.
The reason why this site really isnt effective anymore is because its impossible for Mom and Dad to be objective about what they see. We are all interrelated and have friends on various teams or "rival" teams so this forum lacks any consistent objectivity and in fact, truth. Its entertainment. When someone comes along like Will or Sped we freak out because they are saying something we arent ready for, or do not want to hear.
The "predictions" are worthless this year. The "fights" are dumb as well.
What I wish, which is next to impossible is that ACTUAL SOCCER TALK OCCURRED. I do not think it does because I do not think alot of people know what soccer looks like. Saying "great game..blah blah blah" can be texted to someone. How about actually dissecting a game? To me thats more interesting but no one here ever does that because that would be "calling out" 11 year old girls. Saying that a team is losing consistenly because of "X" would be uncouth and isnt appropriate at this age.
So take this for what it is- a random parents sideline understanding of what is happening and calling out whatever team they dont like for whatever reason or their little forum friends do not like. First targets? Blues and Surf EVERY TIME. Back up target? Rangers and Eagles.
This 04 rankings for this age group has to be one of the funniest threads I have ever seen. I knew we reached a new low when I saw that.
Great first post. Get the conversation going, anything in particular you want to talk about in terms of breaking down the games?

There are plenty of posters willing to discuss and not get bent out of shape as long as it's troll free.

Was a good game. Galaxy played very well and finally got a goal in a game they were the better team (obviously coming from a biased opinion) With that said Beach played well and there D did a great job of not letting galaxy get many clean shots off in their 3rd. Beach had some good shots where are keeper made nice saves and one pop fly shot that went off the crossbar. So in the end we were lucky to get the win.

The one observation that is most impressive in CRL to date is Surf has the second most goals scored and have not allowed a goal in any of their games. Easy to see why they are on top of the standings.
Sound assessment @Presdad ! Our girls struggled to find any rhythm today. When we did, we got some opportunities and your keeper did her job! Hopefully we'll get to see your girls on the pitch again soon. Until then, you @LonewolfUSA and @Lightning Red ....stay classy!

Great first post. Get the conversation going, anything in particular you want to talk about in terms of breaking down the games?

There are plenty of posters willing to discuss and not get bent out of shape as long as it's troll free.

Ok well to start I would say it's a honor to be in CRL at all and the vast majority of parents and coaches are reasonable people who are excited at the prospect of having the opportunity to play high caliber teams weekly. If you start from that point of mutual respect I think it goes a long way.
I think that this league represents a variety of styles of play the ones most notably missing being an athletic Macias team, a well controlled Strikers team and even a heart filled Condliffe one. We are very lucky every week to be here.

The post about IE SURF WEST TWO was awesome- both Tech and the parent. I have to say again that's the spirit of this league- getting better every week and going up against girls we will see on the National stage one day.

Maybe I am too much an optimist but I have yet to see a team where I couldn't point out 2-4 really great players on each team who were impact players and will develop well. I suppose that I can in the future start that dialogue by stating that in this forum and pointing out that type of play.

The margins have been thin in CRL. There have been so many missed chances, upsets, and that is the beauty of this game.

Like I said it's a honor to be around all of you and my daughter is better for the experience whether she wins or loses.

This is a year when girls quit soccer. They move on or concentrate on other sports. They grow up. The next six months will bring changes and new teams, challenges and moving. I hope we can all share our experiences for the good of this forum.

Ok well to start I would say it's a honor to be in CRL at all and the vast majority of parents and coaches are reasonable people who are excited at the prospect of having the opportunity to play high caliber teams weekly. If you start from that point of mutual respect I think it goes a long way.
I think that this league represents a variety of styles of play the ones most notably missing being an athletic Macias team, a well controlled Strikers team and even a heart filled Condliffe one. We are very lucky every week to be here.

The post about IE SURF WEST TWO was awesome- both Tech and the parent. I have to say again that's the spirit of this league- getting better every week and going up against girls we will see on the National stage one day.

Maybe I am too much an optimist but I have yet to see a team where I couldn't point out 2-4 really great players on each team who were impact players and will develop well. I suppose that I can in the future start that dialogue by stating that in this forum and pointing out that type of play.

The margins have been thin in CRL. There have been so many missed chances, upsets, and that is the beauty of this game.

Like I said it's a honor to be around all of you and my daughter is better for the experience whether she wins or loses.

This is a year when girls quit soccer. They move on or concentrate on other sports. They grow up. The next six months will bring changes and new teams, challenges and moving. I hope we can all share our experiences for the good of this forum.
Well said!

Now on to the nitty gritty :

1. I love the way Surf plays. I love the talent and am in awe of ALL THE PLAYERS. The bench is so deep. I feel like I am watching a chess match when they move the ball and it's humbling. It's one of those teams that even if they are near I migrate to watch out of respect. I think the parents do a great job as well of respecting The game and I enjoy to watch.
2. Beach is phenomenal. Building from the back and moving forward. Their forwards are so sneaky, so skilled and fast.
3. RB Surf is a great team. Bowling has always been a favorite of mine. I love to see him coach and watch him. I was suprised to see what happened but as with most things in club soccer I judge on the totality of experiences and not an isolated incident.
4. I haven't seen Arsenal or LAGSD. I am intrigued because of everything I have read.

It seems like in a way CRL is locked up with the top four at this point but perhaps after a league season people can work through the kinks and finish strong?
I haven't been to every game at CRL and miss a lot of the tournaments etc due to work. As I mentioned before though there has not been one game this year that I haven't heard my daughter say " wow that X was awesome" or " I wish I could move the ball like her". That's what I try to instill that this experience will allow her to befriend girls she will know for many years.
There used to be a lot of dialogue on the forum. Maybe we got away from it because of mean people or people taking things personally but if we all approach this with respect about the fact that this league is phenomenal and these girls are working hard regardless of standings maybe everyone will open up more.
Just my humble two cents

Good posts Striker17. Very thoughtful and passionate. I like that!

My dd is in the 03 age group, so I don't have a dog in this fight, but I know some of the posters here in this age bracket. I think you will find that the VAST MAJORITY of posters are the type of people you are looking for. Willing to discuss the X's and O's of these teams, the playing styles, the philosophies of the different coaches, etc. Yes, there are posters here that are only looking to stir the pot and get rises out of us. The best thing to do is ignore those posters and concentrate on the positives of our daughter's playing a sport they love.

Best of luck on the upcoming season. ECNL opens up for your daughters next year along with the DA, so this may be the last "fun" year before the ultra-competitiveness of club soccer kicks in.

If it's trolling to present facts then yes I will now be an official troll to the land of delusional unicorn parents on this board. Hurry up circle all the buddies for the dislikes.
By the way can I order a bedazzled hat?
You mean fact (singular) which was the Coach was ejected. The balance of your statements are opinions.

Ok, the bedazzled thing was funny....I'll give you that one.

Kale dominated the game start to finish.

I am more concerned a parent sideline of IE surf referring to girls as "**cking *itches"
Just goes to show you that no amount of bedazzled hats or shirts makes a parent classy.
Parents ruining the game all abound. Kale and his sidelines dead quiet so I have no idea what you are referring to.

Which brings me to a quick question- won't most of that team leave for either Legends DA OR Arsenal ECNL anyway next year?

Liar with an axe to grind

Back