College Entrance Scam includes former Yale Women's Soccer Coach

Sorry to be late on this thread but am I the only one that see this as its unfair and unfortunate but it happens....

First let me acknowledge that the whole value system we hold dear and close to our hearts of fairness is the basic fabric and the core of being Americans. That said, its totally understandable that many are upset but step back for moment and think about this. The wealthy and affluent families throughout the world have had advantage of placing their offsprings into better education and social establishments.

The fact that the there was a middleman/conduit benefiting by enabling the wealthy to get their kids into better schools says he saw an opportunity to make a buck (illegal but much needed service, depending on your perspective), so service provided.

Lets separate the private and public schools first. Clearly, public school needs to be more accountable and equitable to all tax paying people who actually fund the schools. Private schools, however, can do whatever they want to in accordance to their governance and their business model. While they are all not for profit schools, it does not mean that they don't make money. Just the opposite. Just look at the endowments at these universities.

In most countries, the affluent expect their children to attend the best school. For an example, British royalty all attend Cambridge. All Chinese Communist Party leaders and the 6 families attend Tsinghua. Many middle eastern royalties also attend Cambridge and Oxford. Do you think they all got in on their own merit and hard work?

The fact that they used athletic recruiting simply says these universities are willing accept less than their normal student population qualification for athletes. Athletes are exceptions to the schools because its a way for them to make more money via boosters, TV revenues and attract support without lowering their educational standings. Yes I know soccer and most are not revenue generating but football and basketballs are and NCAA doesn't make separate rules for revenue generating vs non.

All the corrupt coaches, proctors and alike on the take, really speaks to peoples character and effect of easy money on them. They need to do a better job of doing background checks and character references than already do before they are hired.

So my point is, I get that it sucks and is not right but its also not surprising and I'm sure that similar back door entrance exist in other ways. What is surprising to me is that the parents named spent 2x, 3x, 4x or more than the total tuition costs for some of these schools to get their kid accepted into them. I mean, both UCLA and USC are fine schools but neither is worth that.

As for all those student athletes that did not get into the school because of this, well okay, I bet everyone of those who would have been at these schools fond another school to attend and play sports with. If one is good enough to be recruited by these schools, then they clearly were recruited to multiple schools.
What you’re missing is that some of the bribe money found its way into the team’s account and that is a NCAA violation that has cost schools national championships, post season play and scholarships.

The media train is rolling with this. For gods sake it’s made it on headlines in Europe. The Administration has got to do something. It just looks bad with the silence

College Admissions Scandal
Published 28 mins ago
UCLA student had no business playing for top soccer program: report

lauren-isackson.jpg

Lauren Isackson supposedly played midfielder for UCLA. (UCLA)

A UCLA student whose parents are wrapped up in a nationwide college admissions scandal involving dozens of parents and prominent universities was listed on the university's 2017 women’s soccer team that finished as runner-up to the national champions -- even though she reportedly lacked playing experience.

Lauren Isackson’s 2017 roster profile showed she made the honorable mention team in the West Bay Athletic League in 2014, but prosecutors alleged she never played competitive soccer prior to joining the Bruins, the Los Angeles Times reported Tuesday.

WERE LORI LOUGHLIN AND OTHER COLLEGE ADMISSIONS SCANDAL PARENTS DRIVEN BY THIS BEHAVIORAL DISORDER?

Isackson was part of a recruiting class that was touted by experts as the second-best in the nation, the newspaper reported. Her teammates included Hailie Mace, who went on to make the U.S. national team, and Anika Rodriguez, who was second on the team in points and goals, and Ashley Sanchez, who had participated in U.S. National team camps before joining the Bruins in 2017.

There were no statistics listed for Isackson for the 2017 season despite being listed as a midfielder. Prosecutors said Isackson had no competitive soccer experience before going to UCLA, according to the Los Angeles Times.

“Some team members are on the roster for the purposes of preparing the team for competition, and may not play in games,” UCLA Tod Tamberg told the newspaper Monday, adding that Isackson was no longer on the soccer team, but was still a student at UCLA.

Bruce Isackson and his wife Davina allegedly began conspiring with William “Rick” Singer, who pleaded guilty to several charges of racketeering and money laundering last week, in 2015. Isackson’s fake athletic profile was sent to UCLA men’s soccer coach Jorge Salcedo, according to the newspaper. Salcedo then reportedly passed the teen’s test scores and transcripts to an unnamed coach on the women’s team.

The Isacksons allegedly gave Singer more than 2,100 Facebook stock shares in the form of donations to the Key Worldwide Foundation, the Los Angeles Times reported, citing an affidavit. Singer reportedly used the charity to pay Salcedo and Ali Khosroshahin, a former USC coach who allegedly passed Isackson’s profile to Salcedo.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Salcedo was the only person from UCLA indicted in the scheme and was placed on leave. The scandal has swept up other high-profile individuals, including Lori Loughlin and Felicity Huffman

She does look like a regular sucker player. LOL

Yes but... In the criminal indictment, it clearly stated that Singer forwarded the transcript and test scores to a "UCLA women's soccer coach". Then on June 28, 2016, the UCLA Student-Athlete Admissions Committee granted "provisional student athlete admission" to Isackson, provided she met certain requirements. One of those was "participating on the UCLA team as a student-athlete for a minimum of one full academic year".

View attachment 4270

So, the key questions are

1) Does a "team Manager" meet the definition of "student-athlete"?
2) Are team managers issued uniforms?
3) Is it normal/acceptable for someone who is considered a "team manager" to be listed on the team's web site and in their media guide as a player at the position of "Midfielder"?

Answers No, No, No.....It is only a matter of time before NCAA drops sanctions (no playoffs, scholarship restrictions) on UCLA’s soccer programs.

Hopefully Cal South bans him as a club coach so he does not corrupt club soccer.
If he is convicted of racketeering, he will go to jail for several years. Even a lesser plea would still likely include a couple felonies.

Probably hard to pass a background check for a club job.

I agree with you. in most organizations, they have to fire the person - anything otherwise, it would send the wrong message that this is okay and you can get away with it. For that reason alone, her getting fired is definitely not out of the question. I'm just saying given her pedigree, if she truly didn't break any rules and had good intentions doing a favor for a colleague, it would behoove UCLA to figure out a way to keep her.

So just curious how much were you paid to come on to the forum to create some positive PR for AC?? Hope it was a chunk of change cause you are certainly working hard for the $$.

It isn't believable that the men's soccer coach was paid $200,000 and golly gee, the women's coaching staff was just doing him a solid out of the kindness of their hearts. Don't forget, this is a public university, funded by tax payer dollars. A treasured spot at a premier public university was gifted to someone that shouldn't have gotten an admission in that way. It may not bother some of you but I am disgusted at the lackadaisical attitude about this. Everyone seems so accepting of the lack of ethics and integrity and that "it happens, oh well" isn't a good explanation. People in this country used to stand for something and honesty and integrity used to mean something. Now, it is just get what you want, however you can and no one really cares to hold anyone to a higher standard.

Hopefully Cal South bans him as a club coach so he does not corrupt club soccer.

He has already involved at least one club by pretending that one of his proteges was a player there.

I think that many clubs should do some soul-searching about their emphasis on "exposure" to college coaches, given the fact of the small proportion of players who actually end up with recruiting offers.

See bold type...yeah, bet she was "instrumental"...a couple #41s each year:

LA Breakers FC are delighted to announce the hiring of UCLA Head Coach Amanda Cromwell as Special Advisor to the Board, ECNL Staff Coach and College Consultant.

“Amanda Cromwell is one of the most accomplished women’s soccer coaches in the world,” said Mike Page, Club Director for LA Breakers FC. “She brings a wealth of knowledge and unrivaled connections with the NCAA and US Soccer. Her hiring demonstrates the commitment that LA Breakers has to elite player and coaching development in the Los Angeles region.”

Cromwell’s accomplishments in the game include leading the UCLA Bruins to the program’s first-ever NCAA Championship only eight months after being hired in April, 2013. Cromwell was subsequently named Soccer America’s Coach of the Year, the first-such honor for a UCLA Women’s Soccer coach. In addition to coaching at UCLA, Cromwell was instrumental in securing a $5-million dollar donation for the transformation of UCLA’s Wallis Annenberg Stadium as the new home for Bruins Soccer.

“I am very passionate about being an integral part of developing the L.A. youth soccer scene,” said Coach Cromwell. “I have been looking for the ideal partnership in the area, and LA Breakers and their vision for youth soccer are the perfect fit for me. I am really excited to begin my work with them.”

Cromwell earned 55 caps while representing the U.S. Women’s National Team. She was a member of the United States’ 1995 FIFA Women’s World Cup team and an alternate for the U.S. Olympic team in 1996.

Cromwell has already begun working with LA Breakers FC teams and will be working with and evaluating players at our ECNL tryouts this month.

LA Breakers FC are delighted to announce the hiring of UCLA Head Coach Amanda Cromwell as Special Advisor to the Board, ECNL Staff Coach and College Consultant.

“Amanda Cromwell is one of the most accomplished women’s soccer coaches in the world,” said Mike Page, Club Director for LA Breakers FC. “She brings a wealth of knowledge and unrivaled connections with the NCAA and US Soccer. Her hiring demonstrates the commitment that LA Breakers has to elite player and coaching development in the Los Angeles region.”

Cromwell’s accomplishments in the game include leading the UCLA Bruins to the program’s first-ever NCAA Championship only eight months after being hired in April, 2013. Cromwell was subsequently named Soccer America’s Coach of the Year, the first-such honor for a UCLA Women’s Soccer coach. In addition to coaching at UCLA, Cromwell was instrumental in securing a $5-million dollar donation for the transformation of UCLA’s Wallis Annenberg Stadium as the new home for Bruins Soccer.

“I am very passionate about being an integral part of developing the L.A. youth soccer scene,” said Coach Cromwell. “I have been looking for the ideal partnership in the area, and LA Breakers and their vision for youth soccer are the perfect fit for me. I am really excited to begin my work with them.”

Cromwell earned 55 caps while representing the U.S. Women’s National Team. She was a member of the United States’ 1995 FIFA Women’s World Cup team and an alternate for the U.S. Olympic team in 1996.

Cromwell has already begun working with LA Breakers FC teams and will be working with and evaluating players at our ECNL tryouts this month.

Granting a so-so student guaranteed admission is a time-honored way for colleges to improve their facilities. It's not like the girl took someone else's scholarship or playing time.

Interesting twist as it appears that AC and a few other UCLA coaches are involved with LA Breakers. What is also interesting is Salcedo also has involvement with LA Breakers....

http://labreakersfc.com/fc-los-angeles-and-westside-breakers-have-merged

How is it possible for a college coach to have contact with high school players like that without it being a recruiting violation? In a different article on this topic it says that AC will not just be a consultant on the board but will be involved in evaluating players at ECNL tryouts

Last edited:
Brandi Chastain coaches at Thorns and coaches at Santa Clara. I guess it might make an easier path for players at that club to that college, but there are so few good coaches (especially females) that it’s hard to overlook the value of having top coaches at the club level.

How is it possible for a college coach to have contact with high school players like that without it being a recruiting violation? In a different article on this topic it says that AC will not just be a consultant on the board but will be involved in evaluating players at ECNL tryouts

A lot of college coaches are either youth coaches or are affiliated with youth clubs.

Back