College Entrance Scam includes former Yale Women's Soccer Coach

My understanding is that the head coach has to submit the information to the student- athlete admissions process?

When you reach a certain level in your career, more often than not, you rely heavily on your staff and you have to trust them. Yes, you have to sign off on things and ultimately it’s your responsibility, but it’s unlikely Cromwell processed the paperwork, uploaded the file, etc... she just gave the ok.

My theory... Ali shows up in her office, says, “ I noticed you have an open roster spot, were you going to fill it this year?” She says no. He goes, “I need a favor, long story but can I use that spot for a year to help a kid get in?” She asks some questions like does she have the transcripts, grades, etc? He goes yes, I can send them to you and I can take care of all the paperwork and everything for you...

Next thing you know, she ends up on the front page of the LA Times...

When you reach a certain level in your career, more often than not, you rely heavily on your staff and you have to trust them. Yes, you have to sign off on things and ultimately it’s your responsibility, but it’s unlikely Cromwell processed the paperwork, uploaded the file, etc... she just gave the ok.

My theory... Ali shows up in her office, says, “ I noticed you have an open roster spot, were you going to fill it this year?” She says no. He goes, “I need a favor, long story but can I use that spot for a year to help a kid get in?” She asks some questions like does she have the transcripts, grades, etc? He goes yes, I can send them to you and I can take care of all the paperwork and everything for you...

Well Ali wasn’t her assistant so that would just be weird. And head coaches personally have to sign off on any special admits. And the schools specifically tell coaches each year not to do this. They can’t admit managers. They can’t admit kids of friends. Even if it’s a walk on kid who will never sniff the field and will be practice fodder they still have to show worthiness to be a special admit.

Have any of you ever been on a collegiate team? There aren’t just randoms floating around. Even the end of a bench walk on at UCLA would have a legit soccer predigree. That kinda sucks too that there are prob 30 so cal girls who have busted their ass for years playing for blues or surf or slammers who would’ve died to be admitted to UCLA and rostered on the team as a end of the bench walk on. But UCLA won’t give them the time of day but will admit this kid? Why? As a favor to Jorge?

UCLA statement shows there has been a side door.

Of course there is a side door... there’s always a side door, everywhere... why? Because rules aren’t perfect and there are always exceptions. You frankly cannot make a rule for everything - you have to give people discretion and a degree of flexibility otherwise you risk severely handicapping your organization.

Cromwell can use her roster spots for whatever she wants, the catch is she only gets so many spots and her job is dependent on fielding a winning team. She could field a team of hamsters if she wants so long as she wins and doesn’t exceed her budget. No scholarship dollars were given in this case, she didn’t personally benefit, she probably gave up a roster spot that she wasn’t planning on using that year as a favor to someone else... and aside from this fiasco, im sure the team will do great - she’ll have done her job.

UCLA’s statement basically is saying she broke no internal rules if I’m interpreting correctly.

Of course there is a side door... there’s always a side door, everywhere... why? Because rules aren’t perfect and there are always exceptions. You frankly cannot make a rule for everything - you have to give people discretion and a degree of flexibility otherwise you risk severely handicapping your organization.

Cromwell can use her roster spots for whatever she wants, the catch is she only gets so many spots and her job is dependent on fielding a winning team. She could field a team of hamsters if she wants so long as she wins and doesn’t exceed her budget. No scholarship dollars were given in this case, she didn’t personally benefit, she probably gave up a roster spot that she wasn’t planning on using that year as a favor to someone else... and aside from this fiasco, im sure the team will do great - she’ll have done her job.

UCLA’s statement basically is saying she broke no internal rules if I’m interpreting correctly.
Wow...you are clueless!

So I take it you’re saying you have firsthand knowledge of the situation? If so, please share! Otherwise you’re as clueless as the rest of us... ;)

I see what your saying. But where it gets weird for me is 1. it was uncovered as part of an FBI investigation into a multi-million dollar scandal of athletic coaches accepting bribes to help non-athletes get into elite colleges, and 2. her dad is on tape saying things like he's paranoid to talk over the phone and if word of this gets out it's going to be front page news.

Not sure how to explain that away. I guess maybe he pinky promised AC not to let everyone know what a softie she was or something and he was afraid of making the coach look good...?

Last edited:
I have to applaud the 'ol USC soccer coach. This was some 5-d, underwater chess the dude was playing against his cross town rival.

He bascically said, "here take this, and hang on to it for a couple years. No, it's not a grenade, it's not a torpedo, just a little something that I'd like you to take care of for me. Please be sure to deliver to someone in the Women's Soccer program. I'll make sure the sender compensates you for your service. Don't worry it should be safe, I also left 4 of those packages floating around on my campus before I left. So far no problems."

If a coach says that his staff is too big and he doesn't know what all of them are doing, all the AD has to do is copy that and put it in his dismissal letter.

I have to applaud the 'ol USC soccer coach. This was some 5-d, underwater chess the dude was playing against his cross town rival.

He bascically said, "here take this, and hang on to it for a couple years. No, it's not a grenade, it's not a torpedo, just a little something that I'd like you to take care of for me. Please be sure to deliver to someone in the Women's Soccer program. I'll make sure the sender compensates you for your service. Don't worry it should be safe, I also left 4 of those packages floating around on my campus before I left. So far no problems."
At least I feel that USC is trying to set things right. They have admitted mistakes and are being proactive to investigate, punish those involved and put new procedures and people in place.

On the other hand UCLA has only punished Jorge who was charged. No acceptance of any errors and no real statement to the press. For all we know Isackson is still on campus. At least admit that they put trust in someone that they should not have. I think this attitude is what pisses most people off.

At least I feel that USC is trying to set things right. They have admitted mistakes and are being proactive to investigate, punish those involved and put new procedures and people in place.

On the other hand UCLA has only punished Jorge who was charged. No acceptance of any errors and no real statement to the press. For all we know Isackson is still on campus. At least admit that they put trust in someone that they should not have. I think this attitude is what pisses most people off.
USC has more experience in handling scandals. Sorry, I couldn't resit!! :D:D:D

Let’s be clear, I’m not saying what AC or the women’s program did was okay. It just puzzles me that someone who spent their entire lives building their career to become one of the best coaches in the country would jeopardize that career to help some kid get into school where as far as we know otherwise had nothing to gain. She got nothing out of this.

If she got paid, she would’ve been arrested. If the program got a donation (no evidence of that) they would’ve published it already - so doesn’t look like it happened and their endowment is big enough, she already has every resource she needs. If the school got a donation, then everyone was in on it and she’d just be the scapegoat. None of those scenarios are likely.

Trying to put myself in that situation and figure out how it went down - people don’t do things with the intent of getting themselves into trouble. Again, not saying what she did was okay... but my guess is she did this favor for Ali and felt like she was actually doing a good thing for helping a kid out - but as they say, no good deed goes unpunished. I doubt she had any idea who the kid was, that her parents were paying for this nor that Ali was getting paid, in fact given he only got $25k, he might not have even known about the money until after it happened and then they gave it to him as a thank you.

I mean seriously, if someone came up to you and said I’ll give you $25k to pull some strings, red flags would be raised immediately and you’d be like whats the catch? You’d also be like it’s gotta be something wrong with what I’m doing here. $25k is nothing, any sane person would’ve been like hell no. Instead, if someone asked as a favor, you might be more likely to do it just to help them out assuming you didn’t think you we’re doing anything illegal.

My point is this, Sure, there are some people who will blatantly make clearly bad propositions and bad choices, but more often than not, the lines are blurred and bad characters will pitch you/manipulate you in a way that doesn’t make it sound wrong, even make you feel like you’re doing a good thing. Is that an excuse? No. But if you can identify when/how these things happen, where compromises were made, the more capable you are keeping yourself out of trouble.

Further bolsters my theory even Ali didn’t know he was getting paid and thought he was just helping someone out. They probably paid him after the fact to “thank him” and keep quiet.

Cromwell knowingly got this kid into UCLA.
Maybe I’d do the same. Maybe we all would if we had the power. Feel bad for her because she was just trying to do someone a favor.

One thing for certain, coaches have been put on notice and will not be doing any favors this year.

Let’s be clear, I’m not saying what AC or the women’s program did was okay. It just puzzles me that someone who spent their entire lives building their career to become one of the best coaches in the country would jeopardize that career to help some kid get into school where as far as we know otherwise had nothing to gain. She got nothing out of this.

If she got paid, she would’ve been arrested. If the program got a donation (no evidence of that) they would’ve published it already - so doesn’t look like it happened and their endowment is big enough, she already has every resource she needs. If the school got a donation, then everyone was in on it and she’d just be the scapegoat. None of those scenarios are likely.

Trying to put myself in that situation and figure out how it went down - people don’t do things with the intent of getting themselves into trouble. Again, not saying what she did was okay... but my guess is she did this favor for Ali and felt like she was actually doing a good thing for helping a kid out - but as they say, no good deed goes unpunished. I doubt she had any idea who the kid was, that her parents were paying for this nor that Ali was getting paid, in fact given he only got $25k, he might not have even known about the money until after it happened and then they gave it to him as a thank you.

I mean seriously, if someone came up to you and said I’ll give you $25k to pull some strings, red flags would be raised immediately and you’d be like whats the catch? You’d also be like it’s gotta be something wrong with what I’m doing here. $25k is nothing, any sane person would’ve been like hell no. Instead, if someone asked as a favor, you might be more likely to do it just to help them out assuming you didn’t think you we’re doing anything illegal.

My point is this, Sure, there are some people who will blatantly make clearly bad propositions and bad choices, but more often than not, the lines are blurred and bad characters will pitch you/manipulate you in a way that doesn’t make it sound wrong, even make you feel like you’re doing a good thing. Is that an excuse? No. But if you can identify when/how these things happen, where compromises were made, the more capable you are keeping yourself out of trouble.
You keep saying Ali, but the indictment says Ali forwarded to Jorge who forwarded to a coach on the women's team. Ali knew he was getting paid, and would have been paid more than the $25k had Isackson's file not gone into the wrong pile. As it did get in the wrong pile, he moved it on to UCLA. Ali knew what was up. Jorge knew what was up. The only question is did Amanda know what was up. Most people have a hard time believing she had no inkling that something wasn't on the up and up.

Ali knew about the money. the court documents state the ringer paid $350000 to ali’s affiliated club in exchange for rostering 4 girls to make the athlete background story credible. I don’t pretend to know the story with UCLA but Ali was not hoodwinked.

Yes... I think that's the whole ever-loving point. She put the University, her team, her assistant coaches and even her own career at risk... to do a favor to another coach from a different university? Even if she’s totally innocent as you've laid it out, AC plainly isn't up to being a coach at that level if she's making those sorts of decisions.

And yet the University still has her back, at massive damage to the University's own reputation. It's all very strange.

Last edited:
Ali knew about the money. the court documents state the ringer paid $350000 to ali’s affiliated club in exchange for rostering 4 girls to make the athlete background story credible. I don’t pretend to know the story with UCLA but Ali was not hoodwinked.

Sorry got them confused... meant the guy who only got the $25k...

Back