Coast Soccer League

Here is a link to 2016 Cal South State Cup Presidents round of 16 to finals. All of these teams got reconfigured with the age changes so not sure how representative it is.

http://2016scpdy-calsouth.affinitys...590A1-8823-48EA-BAE6-5BEC187EF802&roundtype=0

Thank you for the link. Very interesting. I see that one Coast League (Crown City Academy-So Cal) did well but clearly SCDSL teams are the ones to advance when it counted. As you noted many teams have reconfigured with age changes so I can't see Crown City So Cal advancing that far again. They been doing well this year per their record but what level of competition are they really getting except Eagles? Like many clubs several of their experienced girls have since moved on to their respective age groups. FC Golden State PDA 06 is surprisingly playing Coast also but talented enough to be playing in SCDSL so I was puzzled with that. The disparity in terms of level of play is definitely more visible with the girls side of things. Don't get me wrong there are some very talented girls players in the Coast league from 06's down to 99 but most of these girls will in my opinion eventually find their way over to SCDSL especically as they mature. From what I learned this weekend if they are to really want to engage in higher level play that is more consistent and offers greater opportunity for getting on a college recruiters radar than SCDSL is the place to be. Thank you SCDSL parents who enlightened my wife and I on this. We are happy with our team since we are new to club but we are going to have our daughter put in the work and try to get her on a SCDSL team next spring, that is where the real competition is playing and to be the best you have to play with the best.

With a kid under 14, it would seem more important to have them with a team that has a coach that both the parent and the child love. Keeping them playing, improving, and loving the game seems to be the most important thing during these early years. The top girls eventually will move to a ECNL or DA team, but we are really only talking about the top 1% for this group, aren't we?

Thank you for the link. Very interesting. I see that one Coast League (Crown City Academy-So Cal) did well but clearly SCDSL teams are the ones to advance when it counted. As you noted many teams have reconfigured with age changes so I can't see Crown City So Cal advancing that far again. They been doing well this year per their record but what level of competition are they really getting except Eagles? Like many clubs several of their experienced girls have since moved on to their respective age groups. FC Golden State PDA 06 is surprisingly playing Coast also but talented enough to be playing in SCDSL so I was puzzled with that. The disparity in terms of level of play is definitely more visible with the girls side of things. Don't get me wrong there are some very talented girls players in the Coast league from 06's down to 99 but most of these girls will in my opinion eventually find their way over to SCDSL especically as they mature. From what I learned this weekend if they are to really want to engage in higher level play that is more consistent and offers greater opportunity for getting on a college recruiters radar than SCDSL is the place to be. Thank you SCDSL parents who enlightened my wife and I on this. We are happy with our team since we are new to club but we are going to have our daughter put in the work and try to get her on a SCDSL team next spring, that is where the real competition is playing and to be the best you have to play with the best.

I agree I don't think Crown City Academy-So Cal will do as well. My understanding is that team only has about 3 returning players from last year. The rest come from either flight 2 teams or bronze teams. I also hear Eagles lost a few of their best '06 players so probably not as strong as they were last year either.

I'm not sure how or why it happened, but SCDSL is clearly a higher level of competition for younger girls. There are a few teams in CSL that can and do compete with SCDSL teams, but not a lot. Interestingly, I do not believe the same disparity exists on the boys side.
IMHO, boys development academy's is little more dispersed between the CSL and scdsl so more quality players chasing the higher level are dispersed between the leagues. Girls, on the other hand, only had ECNL, which was primarily an scdsl group of teams (except Eagles). Thus all the good players gravitated toward scdsl to play in EGSL. For instance, we don't have any ecnl teams in the San Gabriel valley (nearly all larger clubs are CSL in the area). A high percentage of our best talent travels south to play on the ecnl teams. Take monrovia's two u17 uswnt players; they both play on ecnl teams in OC.

Prior to state cup, we will have surf thansgiving challenge. Not all of the best teams will be there but the three best CSL teams will be and enough of the scdsl leaders will as well. we will see how CSL girls fair against scdsl teams then. However, without the Texas teams there to defend their crown from August, the thanksgiving winner still can't say they are the best...either way it will be a good proxy for what's to come in state cup.

Funny thing is, even that won't be a great predictor. Teams begin to shift between November and February as tryouts create rifts in allegiances and girls fade off to other sports. I've seen several good teams get separated from their coach between the season and. State cup. Prior to state cup the CCU SoCal girls will have played over 50 tournament or league games since June as will most of the other better teams. Even the most cohesive and conditioned teams will begin to feel the fatigue of a long season and may be nowhere near the peak they once were in (whenever that was during tournament Or regular season). Better question, how do you keep a team together and in peak condition for state cup.

So you never know what will happen when you get to state cup....

Some notable scores
Silver North
Socal Academy 2 Eagles 2 any game details??
Eagles and SoCal was an intense game. SoCal went up 2-0 and had three hard shots blocked by field players when the keeper had to block earlier shots in the series. Toward the end of the game, SoCal seemed to lose focus, Eagles gained momentum and pounced. Their last goal was on an excellent play with only a few minutes left.

We are new to club but we are going to have our daughter put in the work and try to get her on a SCDSL team next spring, that is where the real competition is playing and to be the best you have to play with the best.

If the definition of "good" is winning state cup then see who wins and go for it, however winning state cup at U11 does not necessarily = good or more importantly the right coach.

As far as there being more competition in SCDSL that is probably true, but league is only two months. The rest of the year your coach decides your level competition and for some winning medals is everything.

In our case with Carlos Guerrero's FCGS team we are really happy. In the spring and summer we scrimmaged plenty of good teams, attended top flight tournaments and played several more highly competitive teams not only from SCDSL & CSL but other states too. In the end it has been the perfect fit for my DD.

In closing, if you think it's time for a move then I would suggest evaluating way more than just which league or wins and losses.

Last edited:
Lol OC Premier shows up two players short so we play 7. Their 8th player shows up coach tries to add the 8th player without drawing attention to it.

#YouthSoccer

Last edited:
Back