Coaches paying for players....not clubs - coaches.

Is it Ok for a Coach to pay for a Players Dues?

• 1. If the player truly needs it? (For instance if the Dad is in Jail)

• 2. Heck yes, we need to win and the coach thinks this player will help us win?

• 3. No, let them apply for financial aid through the club.

• 4. Never.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Negative! Look at Joe Corona, Agudelo, Greg Garza, Michael Orozco, Alejandro Bedoya, Omar Gonzalez and Paul Arriola. Only the kid that plays in Monterey has been the only one in recent memory that chose Mexico over the US and that has to do with USMNT not qualifying for the WC.

I don't know where do you get your facts to make such a comment??
Do you know what this means"?" ?

How would anyone know? The coach could hand the parents a check to pay for the fees. Its all online now anyway. The coach could sponsor players as any other parent could sponsor other kids. He could pay the club the fees directly to the treasurer as well.

Coaches tell the Director or whomever they have handling financial aid about Player A needing assistance. The coach could donate scholarship money. Said players would be covered by the coaches money or anyone else who donated money. Coaches money would go to someone else and another persons money would cover Player A, but in the end its all the same pool of money.

Parents getting upset because the other kid didnt pay out of his parent's pocket is absurd. If a person found a lotto ticket worth $2500 or a bag with $2500 and used it pay club fees - would it be wrong to the same person who has issues of a club/coach/other parent paying for a kid's fees? Unfortunately I hear the complaints often. I will say the time parents should be pissed about it is if parents are shopping kids around to clubs, kids dont show up to practice or have an entitled attitude. I've only run across a few kids who people had a legit gripe to be mad about - these kids had an outside Handler shopping them to teams. Real dangerous people out their selling kids and parents dreams they cant fulfill. Not the kids fault USUALLY.

How would anyone know? The coach could hand the parents a check to pay for the fees. Its all online now anyway. The coach could sponsor players as any other parent could sponsor other kids. He could pay the club the fees directly to the treasurer as well.

Coaches tell the Director or whomever they have handling financial aid about Player A needing assistance. The coach could donate scholarship money. Said players would be covered by the coaches money or anyone else who donated money. Coaches money would go to someone else and another persons money would cover Player A, but in the end its all the same pool of money.

Parents getting upset because the other kid didnt pay out of his parent's pocket is absurd. If a person found a lotto ticket worth $2500 or a bag with $2500 and used it pay club fees - would it be wrong to the same person who has issues of a club/coach/other parent paying for a kid's fees? Unfortunately I hear the complaints often. I will say the time parents should be pissed about it is if parents are shopping kids around to clubs, kids dont show up to practice or have an entitled attitude. I've only run across a few kids who people had a legit gripe to be mad about - these kids had an outside Handler shopping them to teams. Real dangerous people out their selling kids and parents dreams they cant fulfill. Not the kids fault USUALLY.
I overheard a manager giving his speech at a team beating, he told his parents "we have 2 scholarship kids so we have to make up that money somehow". I think word could easily get around, at least at our club.
How would the conversation go?
[Parent]
I really want my kid to play on your team, but I can't afford it.
[coach]
No problem you kid is really good and I will pay for it myself, but don't tell anyone.

Last edited:
How about the parents ego?

If the kids better then yours, they deserve to start regardless of where the moneys coming from.

yep thats the gripe. i hear it all the time. People ask, "Is Johnny on scholarship?". Ill say i dont know even if i do, but will ask them "Why?". Usually the answer is "My kid doesnt play as much as him". To which i reply "Johnny is better". then its "yeah but" or "im not paying for that". I also find many of these parents donate to their High School sports teams to ensure kids make the team.

yep thats the gripe. i hear it all the time. People ask, "Is Johnny on scholarship?". Ill say i dont know even if i do, but will ask them "Why?". Usually the answer is "My kid doesnt play as much as him". To which i reply "Johnny is better". then its "yeah but" or "im not paying for that". I also find many of these parents donate to their High School sports teams to ensure kids make the team.
By donate, do you mean pay the fees or on top of that?
BTW, how did you find out about kids on scholarship?

From your previous post,

By donate, do you mean pay the fees or on top of that?
BTW, how did you find out about kids on scholarship?

From your previous post,

I know about scholarships given my position at my kid's club, parents feeling comfortable with me to ask for help and coaches/admins trusting me with information when they need help. There has been a previous discussion about this on here - pretty lengthy one. Some clubs send out spreadsheets showing who owes fees. If at the beginning of a season, the spreadsheet shows a kid has a balance of "$0", then they can deduce the kid was sponsored - given who the kid is and who the parents are. Wont get into morality or if clubs/teams should do that, but that is how many parents on clubs know if a parent is sponsored or not. Most teams/clubs I have dealt with dont do that for a plethora of reasons.

As far as donations go I have seen, at various clubs, people giving a general donation to cover scholarships. The money is accounted for properly. Nothing stops anyone from donating the money. I've seen people donate anonymously for specific players - most likely family members. I seen families at clubs pay for: classmates fees, kids that go to their church, athletic kids they found in random places (MX leagues, Rec Leagues, Park,etc). I've seen coaches donate back salaries to pay for scholarships - which is kind of what we are specifically talking about here. I dont know a situation where a coach would really have to tell anyone he is covering fees, unless he wants it to be known.

I overheard a manager giving his speech at a team beating, he told his parents "we have 2 scholarship kids so we have to make up that money somehow". I think word could easily get around, at least at our club.
How would the conversation go?
[Parent]
I really want my kid to play on your team, but I can't afford it.
[coach]
No problem you kid is really good and I will pay for it myself, but don't tell anyone.

Yeah thats a bad situation. Not the managers place to A) say that and B) looking to make up money anywhere. ALl that should be accounted for in preseason budgeting. Ive detailed some of the convos Ive had and reason why some ask for "help". People lose jobs, family deaths, etc. Ive seen really bad players get help, but I know at other clubs it really is dependent on how good the kid is. Outside of soccer Ive seen coaches give kids actual money to give to take home to take care of problems

I know about scholarships given my position at my kid's club, parents feeling comfortable with me to ask for help and coaches/admins trusting me with information when they need help. There has been a previous discussion about this on here - pretty lengthy one. Some clubs send out spreadsheets showing who owes fees. If at the beginning of a season, the spreadsheet shows a kid has a balance of "$0", then they can deduce the kid was sponsored - given who the kid is and who the parents are. Wont get into morality or if clubs/teams should do that, but that is how many parents on clubs know if a parent is sponsored or not. Most teams/clubs I have dealt with dont do that for a plethora of reasons.

As far as donations go I have seen, at various clubs, people giving a general donation to cover scholarships. The money is accounted for properly. Nothing stops anyone from donating the money. I've seen people donate anonymously for specific players - most likely family members. I seen families at clubs pay for: classmates fees, kids that go to their church, athletic kids they found in random places (MX leagues, Rec Leagues, Park,etc). I've seen coaches donate back salaries to pay for scholarships - which is kind of what we are specifically talking about here. I dont know a situation where a coach would really have to tell anyone he is covering fees, unless he wants it to be known.
It just rubs me the wrong way, that's all.

Im not a soccer coach at all but I understand the pressure of putting together a winning team for job security.

If it costs me $3k (that im able to write off as a donation) to bring a STUD on board to make sure ill have a job next season that pays $60k,why wouldn't I?

Coaches and clubs paying for special kids happens ALL THE TIME with ALL sports at every level.

Yeah thats a bad situation. Not the managers place to A) say that and B) looking to make up money anywhere. ALl that should be accounted for in preseason budgeting. Ive detailed some of the convos Ive had and reason why some ask for "help". People lose jobs, family deaths, etc. Ive seen really bad players get help, but I know at other clubs it really is dependent on how good the kid is. Outside of soccer Ive seen coaches give kids actual money to give to take home to take care of problems
I think if all the parents came come to an agreement to pay for the kid that is one thing, it is another for the club to mandate it, as I have witnessed.
Good stuff.

I dont know a situation where a coach would really have to tell anyone he is covering fees, unless he wants it to be known.

Won't the treasurer at least know if the coach is paying the money directly to the club? Otherwise won't the coach take a double hit (he'll have to declare the salary as income, and pay taxes on it, but he won't get to write off any donation if it's directly made to the player)?

Yes, but you are talking about truly need based. Need based is one thing. For wins and ego is not morally correct or ethical in book. Shady as all get up.

If it takes a free carrot to pull a great player away from another club, who cares......but obviously from some of these knee jerk reactions the family better make sure to keep it confidential.

Do some of you bitch when the team manager gets a discount?
I don't bitch, and no one should, when a team manager gets a discount. It is a hard job that takes a lot of time and requires people to put up with a lot of BS.

As for a coach paying for a kid out of his own pocket: if I am the DOC of the club that would be a no go. If there is a kid that needs help with dues we can handle that at the club level and it doesn't need to get out to the team/public. If I have a coach willing to pay out of his own pocket to pull a "stud" onto his team, I would think I need better coach(es). Who is the kid loyal to, the coach or the club? I don't want a bunch of cowboys as coaches thinking they can do whatever they want. Work within the guidelines of the club's rules. Serve the club's purpose and mission statement, do a good job and everything will be fine.

Anyone the thinks "it's OK for this kid to get special attention because he is a baller" is part of the problem with youth sports. Creates entitled a$$holes. At some point these kids will need to be productive members of society, and this approach isn't helping.

I

Anyone the thinks "it's OK for this kid to get special attention because he is a baller" is part of the problem with youth sports. Creates entitled a$$holes. At some point these kids will need to be productive members of society, and this approach isn't helping.

Actually the entitlement a$hold is the kid that daddy pays for everything and thinks money can buy them whatever they want and means they can play in any team because daddy is paying big bucks. "Don't worry daddy will take care of the issue, let me get my checkbook".

The kid that gets the scholarship is not an issue, it's the parents that tell the kid that he is the best player in the region is the issue.
Don't blame the kids for getting a free ride.

Keep in mind that the scholarship kid is the one that the coach and team puts pressure to score goals or make the team win. If he/she doesn't perform the scholarship will go away.

Back