Coaches paying for players....not clubs - coaches.

Is it Ok for a Coach to pay for a Players Dues?

• 1. If the player truly needs it? (For instance if the Dad is in Jail)

• 2. Heck yes, we need to win and the coach thinks this player will help us win?

• 3. No, let them apply for financial aid through the club.

• 4. Never.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Soccer

SILVER ELITE
I have heard of a few coaches paying dues to the club, for what is perceived as a star player by the coach (not the club). What are your thoughts? See poll.

From my experience these parents of these players do not need the help. They are living through their kids. These players usually have the best gear are voting to go to Vegas, etc. Have no loyalty to the club.

In the rare case there is truly that player who needs help.

There is potential drama that comes with entitling players.

I know a coach who coached in an affluent area and chose to help pay players dues. The players came from a nearby low income community, and they played for clubs that were the type where all the kids disappear from the club scene around high school age, and the remaining kids no longer have teams to play with. The community he coached in was predominantly white/asian, whereas the kids came from an latino commuinty. The kids were very talented and would not have been able to play club soccer at all anymore without the coaches help (the scholarship monies were already used up for that year). This coach was by no means wealthy.

I know a coach who coached in an affluent area and chose to help pay players dues. The players came from a nearby low income community, and they played for clubs that were the type where all the kids disappear from the club scene around high school age, and the remaining kids no longer have teams to play with. The community he coached in was predominantly white/asian, whereas the kids came from an latino commuinty. The kids were very talented and would not have been able to play club soccer at all anymore without the coaches help (the scholarship monies were already used up for that year). This coach was by no means wealthy.

If it was truly done to help the kids then awesome for that coach.

The instances I have recently heard of are kids have played club soccer for a few years, parents went shopping for the best deal.

Not about morally helping a kid to obtain a better life, but to fuel a coaches desire to win. (Ego)

I have heard of a few coaches paying dues to the club, for what is perceived as a star player by the coach (not the club). What are your thoughts? See poll.

From my experience these parents of these players do not need the help. They are living through their kids. These players usually have the best gear are voting to go to Vegas, etc. Have no loyalty to the club.

Has anyone made whiny little bitch noises about it?

Kudos for the kid and the family who getting a free ride.

You also dont know if the coach hasn't been given the green light from the club to do this for recruiting purposes.

If it was truly done to help the kids then awesome for that coach.

The instances I have recently heard of are kids have played club soccer for a few years, parents went shopping for the best deal.

Not about morally helping a kid to obtain a better life, but to fuel a coaches desire to win. (Ego)
I don't understand what you are rally looking for here. I think every human would understand a coach paying for a player that could not afford the dues/tournament fees/uniform cost. We have had kids that we discreetly got outgoing player uniforms for, paid some tournament fees, or even "sponsored" part of their registration. Only a loser would argue with that.

Your scenario, and follow up comment seems different. You seem upset that there are clubs/coaches that offer players scholarships/financial aid to get them to come to their clubs because the player is good. This happens all the time, and the parent/player will often gladly accept the next $$$. Is it "good" for youth amateur sports? Of course not. If it is not need based, it is no longer amateur. But I suspect that despite your belief that the player does not need (financial) help, you may be mstistaken.

I don't understand what you are rally looking for here. I think every human would understand a coach paying for a player that could not afford the dues/tournament fees/uniform cost. We have had kids that we discreetly got outgoing player uniforms for, paid some tournament fees, or even "sponsored" part of their registration. Only a loser would argue with that.

Your scenario, and follow up comment seems different. You seem upset that there are clubs/coaches that offer players scholarships/financial aid to get them to come to their clubs because the player is good. This happens all the time, and the parent/player will often gladly accept the next $$$. Is it "good" for youth amateur sports? Of course not. If it is not need based, it is no longer amateur. But I suspect that despite your belief that the player does not need (financial) help, you may be mstistaken.

I agree help when needed and warranted it is the right thing to do. As long as the family is grateful in the same breath. I know many kids we have helped out, who went onto great things.

The scenario presented to me was the need is not warranted. Hence my question is it ethical for a coach to sabotage fairness for perceived wins. I have older kids, never heard of this in our years. The club always provided the support on dues and the parents on the team chipped in for team fees etc. and in all cases the parents were extremely grateful. This scenario was a younger team, which I found odd. For fact he knows the club is not involved. I advised this dad to leave. Not worth it, it’s club soccer nothing more then a youth sport, if not ethical then run.

This scenario was a younger team, which I found odd. For fact he knows the club is not involved. I advised this dad to leave. Not worth it, it’s club soccer nothing more then a youth sport, if not ethical then run.

My kid is on a team that the coach and parents are aware of the help and we are ok with this. The kids come from a low income area and paying $3k a year is not possible. To be honest this is going to happen more often as prices continue to go up. The scary part is that we might miss on great talent if lower income parents eventually decided that club soccer is too expensive for their kids.

My kid is on a team that the coach and parents are aware of the help and we are ok with this. The kids come from a low income area and paying $3k a year is not possible. To be honest this is going to happen more often as prices continue to go up. The scary part is that we might miss on great talent if lower income parents eventually decided that club soccer is too expensive for their kids.
What is scary about it?
That is what the Mexican and rec leagues are for.

What is scary about it?

Exactly not sure what is scary about it. I know you were asking Soccerfan4life.

Then it should be up to the club to help players truly in need. Not a coach who is trying to inflate his/her ego for wins. And if parents want to help with teams fees good for the parents. Club soccer is not a right as well. There are other ways to help pay for dues as well, Clubs always have ways to work off dues. Well at least Surf does.

Not ethical for a coach to due this for a player for wins. Not sure if it is even right not for wins, by a coach. It makes the coach to invested in one player when you have 15+ on the team.

Exactly not sure what is scary about it. I know you were asking Soccerfan4life.

Then it should be up to the club to help players truly in need. Not a coach who is trying to inflate his/her ego for wins. And if parents want to help with teams fees good for the parents. Club soccer is not a right as well. There are other ways to help pay for dues as well, Clubs always have ways to work off dues. Well at least Surf does.

Not ethical for a coach to due this for a player for wins. Not sure if it is even right not for wins, by a coach. It makes the coach to invested in one player when you have 15+ on the team.

Nonsense.

It’s the coach’s money and he can do what he wants with it.
I haven't been this situation, but I know if I was paying and the coach was paying for another kid and that kid started in front of mine that would be a problem.
Many coaches egos are off the chart.

How would someone find out if a coach is paying for a kid to play?
That must be a fun sideline to be on. Everyone talking about other kids behind each other’s backs until someone finally says “I heard coach Juergen is paying for Tyler to play this year. I don’t even think he is THAT good. Why am I paying $3k a year for that Tyler kid to play the “good” positions?”

How would someone find out if a coach is paying for a kid to play?
That must be a fun sideline to be on. Everyone talking about other kids behind each other’s backs until someone finally says “I heard coach Juergen is paying for Tyler to play this year. I don’t even think he is THAT good. Why am I paying $3k a year for that Tyler kid to play the “good” positions?”
Managers like to talk, that is one way, the parents of the player is another. I agree, let the coach do what he likes with his own money, at his own peril.
I told our manager if they are paying for any players don't let me know.

It’s the coach’s money and he can do what he wants with it.
I see your point and I would encourage that coach to funnel that money into the clubs "official scholarship" process to help avoid any possible digression issues.

Back