Club Soccer and High School Track

Title IX doesn't require the same opportunities. Rather, it prohibits school sponsored discrimination. In most HS and Colleges, one sport rules ... Football. The second sports behind football is football. The third is probably basketball. Then soccer, water polo, cross-country, etc. Title IX simply requires schools to provide an equal number of athletic opportunities (or at least that is how its been interpreted). Because football is so popular and basically a boys sport, schools tend to promote other girls sports to balance out the fact that their dollars are going to football. This means that the other boys sports have less support and tend to get killed. In high schools you will find girls volleyball, but no boys volleyball teams because ... football and Title IX.

There is a perceived inequity between football and other sports. This is not because of school sponsored discrimination, rather, football is actually a profit center, whereas most other sports are not (basketball often an exception). Football is the one sport that has programs with advertisers, boosters that raise tens of thousand of dollars, and stands filled with hundreds of students and parents (in some cases thousands). The same argument exists between the Men's and Woman's US Soccer teams. Men are paid more because the men generate more money in advertiser and ticket sales.

With regard to the CIF, they actually have initiatives directed at informing the member schools and parents of the various equality programs: http://www.cifstate.org/governance/equity/index
Actually, I don't know what high school you are referring to, but there is boys volleyball at all our local high schools. Second, US Women's Soccer earned more money then the US Men's Soccer last year.

US Women's Soccer earned more money then the US Men's Soccer last year.
This can't be right. I can't think of a single women's team sport that makes anywhere close to the amount of money as the equivalent male team sport.

He should have said US WNT earned more money than the US MNT.
I don't have any figures in front of me, but this could only be possible during a woman's World Cup year when the men's team doesn't have any major international tournaments to provide an income boost for that year.

Men's World Cup generates so much money that if you take each team's World Cup take and divide it by four, to annualize the income, the men's team has to make much, much more than the women's team per annum.

Sports is eat what you kill business. The women's team has won more games, but that just entitles them to a bigger slice of a much, much, much smaller pie.

If the women's team wants to be paid like the men's team, they have to start generating TV revenue like the men.

Back