Club Soccer and High School Track

SCS Fan

BRONZE
My 9th grade DD is going to try HS track this year. She has always been one of the fastest on her teams. She thinks she would be good at the 800. I told her that should be the longest that she runs. I initially thought track would be good for her soccer training, but have come across some things on the internet that say otherwise. I keep thinking that running sprints in track has to be good for her overall fitness. But there is also a concern she will be doing track while club soccer starts up again and it may be too much physical stress. Her club coach supports playing other HS sports. Any thoughts on running track while also playing club soccer?

My 9th grade DD is going to try HS track this year. She has always been one of the fastest on her teams. She thinks she would be good at the 800. I told her that should be the longest that she runs. I initially thought track would be good for her soccer training, but have come across some things on the internet that say otherwise. I keep thinking that running sprints in track has to be good for her overall fitness. But there is also a concern she will be doing track while club soccer starts up again and it may be too much physical stress. Her club coach supports playing other HS sports. Any thoughts on running track while also playing club soccer?

My player did it every year. She had to miss CIF finals due to club conflicts every year and usually had to scratch at least two of her events in CIF prelims each year due to schedule conflicts but it was a great experience. Her track coaches weren't happy that she had to scratch but they understood soccer was her #1 sport. It was great for fitness and for speed. I highly recommend it.

My DD coaches (multiple) have told her to pick any sport but track. I have not done any research - this is a 16 year old kid not a professional soccer player...

They are probably thinking about themselves and conflicts not your daughter.

Nothing to do with conflicts as other sports would conflict. Both (different clubs and real good coaches) said it is bad thing to do for a soccer player. We just brushed it off and didn't ask why and really didn't care.

Nothing to do with conflicts as other sports would conflict. Both (different clubs and real good coaches) said it is bad thing to do for a soccer player. We just brushed it off and didn't ask why and really didn't care.

Smart move. Focus on your player. You know her better than they do.

If she can hit under 60 sec in the 400, or 2:20 in the 800, she's looking at a D-II scholarship.
Let her run over hurdles. The track coach will freak because your dd will naturally alternate legs over the hurdles. Soccer players and hurdlers share something in common.

My DD coaches (multiple) have told her to pick any sport but track. I have not done any research - this is a 16 year old kid not a professional soccer player...
From what little I have read on the internet I think those coaches say that because Track and Field deals with straight-line speed while some other sports (Basketball, Volleyball, Field Hockey) involve lateral movement similar to Soccer. So, those team sports would be preferable over Track and Field. Mainly due to Club Soccer my DD is a 1 sport athlete so Track and Field is a sport she won't really be behind too much in. She might try field hockey next year. My conclusion is 3 months of Track and Field will do more good than harm and she will still be playing club soccer. I'm looking forward to see how she does in Track and Field.

From what little I have read on the internet I think those coaches say that because Track and Field deals with straight-line speed while some other sports (Basketball, Volleyball, Field Hockey) involve lateral movement similar to Soccer. So, those team sports would be preferable over Track and Field.
Sounds like something a soccer coach would say.:)

My DD had several teammates that tried the cross country/track and club soccer at the same time. They all ended up with injuries that their doctors attributed to too much running. Most of them either dropped soccer or running by their junior year in HS.

From what little I have read on the internet I think those coaches say that because Track and Field deals with straight-line speed while some other sports (Basketball, Volleyball, Field Hockey) involve lateral movement similar to Soccer. So, those team sports would be preferable over Track and Field. Mainly due to Club Soccer my DD is a 1 sport athlete so Track and Field is a sport she won't really be behind too much in. She might try field hockey next year. My conclusion is 3 months of Track and Field will do more good than harm and she will still be playing club soccer. I'm looking forward to see how she does in Track and Field.

My player ran track her whole high school career and a couple of years before that. She never had a problem. Not sure who was giving you the advice or who wrote the stuff on the internet. Perhaps it was that Nigerian prince that has millions stuck and just needs like $10k for the wire transfer fee. Either way just listen to your player. If she is tired talk to the coach about reducing her conditioning (my player wouldn't do any soccer conditioning during track season). There are lots of options just come up with a plan. This is the first year that she hasn't played more than one sport and it's because soccer is her job now.

My DD had several teammates that tried the cross country/track and club soccer at the same time. They all ended up with injuries that their doctors attributed to too much running. Most of them either dropped soccer or running by their junior year in HS.

I respect your opinion a ton Surfref but my player never had an issue with it. If she was tired we just cut back her training. She didn't do soccer conditioning during track season. We made it clear to both coaches that club soccer was number one. We were lucky and both of her coaches wanted what was best for her even if it cost the track coach a couple of section and state titles.

Most sports doctors say that if you want to play multiple sports, pick sports that do not double or triple up on same body parts.

The easiest example is if a baseball/softball player also playing tennis or water polo. The arm motion and stress on rotator cuff is very similar. I can imagine that soccer and any running sports, like track/cross-country falls into the similar category.

I've read that professional soccer players (mens) run about 5~6 miles during a 90 minute game in EPL. For youth players I'ver read the similar comparison of 3~4 miles in a game for olders. So running more doesn't make much sense. Try swim, tennis, or other non-contact sports that doesn't stress legs....

Back