Club Soccer and High School Track

I respect your opinion a ton Surfref but my player never had an issue with it. If she was tired we just cut back her training. She didn't do soccer conditioning during track season. We made it clear to both coaches that club soccer was number one. We were lucky and both of her coaches wanted what was best for her even if it cost the track coach a couple of section and state titles.
Even if it cost the track coach a couple of section and state titles! Too funny.

Yup. Easy choice for her. She loves soccer. It's a team sport. She would never let her team down.
Don't get me wrong MAP, most of my time spent on this forum is less about info and more about entertainment. I got a kick out of reading the posts from parents who so obviously live vicariously through thier kids. No one does it more proud and obvious than you. Heck, the world might be a better place if all parents put thier kids on a pedestal like you. I really hope that they use a lot of Bubble wrap when they relocate the statue of your DD from your yard to the College stadium entrance some day.

I respect your opinion a ton Surfref but my player never had an issue with it. If she was tired we just cut back her training. She didn't do soccer conditioning during track season. We made it clear to both coaches that club soccer was number one. We were lucky and both of her coaches wanted what was best for her even if it cost the track coach a couple of section and state titles.

Glad it worked out. My DD teammates were doing 3x a week soccer practice, 1x week with personal trainer and games at the same time running longer distance cross country and track. I think they would have not had problems if they had cut out the personal training and not run the long distance. They were running 3-8 miles a day for cross country/ track. She did have a teammate that ran 100 and 200 sprints that had no problems.

Most sports doctors say that if you want to play multiple sports, pick sports that do not double or triple up on same body parts.

The easiest example is if a baseball/softball player also playing tennis or water polo. The arm motion and stress on rotator cuff is very similar. I can imagine that soccer and any running sports, like track/cross-country falls into the similar category.

I've read that professional soccer players (mens) run about 5~6 miles during a 90 minute game in EPL. For youth players I'ver read the similar comparison of 3~4 miles in a game for olders. So running more doesn't make much sense. Try swim, tennis, or other non-contact sports that doesn't stress legs....

I wear a GPS watch when I referee and have been averaging 5-6 miles per high school game and 6-7 per U18/19 game. One of my DD college teammates has a pair of the Addidas cleats that has the sports tracker built into the sole. She is an outside midfielder ( team usually played 3-3-4) and averaged 8 miles a game this past fall with 10.4 in one game.

Yup. Easy choice for her. She loves soccer. It's a team sport. She would never let her team down.

One of my DD teammates that dropped soccer went on to get a 75% scholarship to run long distance track. I don't think she would have got the scholarship had she continued to play soccer. When she was doing both sports she tended to have a lot of injuries.

One of my DD teammates that dropped soccer went on to get a 75% scholarship to run long distance track. I don't think she would have got the scholarship had she continued to play soccer. When she was doing both sports she tended to have a lot of injuries.
Have a student that was a stud soccer player, ECNL I think. She started running as a freshman and now as a junior has 20+ schools looking at her for track, UCLA being one of them. Due to the potential injury factor in soccer, she quit playing. Looking for her to set State records and eventually be in the Olympics. Soccer wouldn't have done that for her.

Not sure who was giving you the advice or who wrote the stuff on the internet. Perhaps it was that Nigerian prince that has millions stuck and just needs like $10k for the wire transfer fee.
So Track and Field does not focus on straight-line speed and Track and Field promotes lateral motion? Crazy talk much?

So Track and Field does not focus on straight-line speed and Track and Field promotes lateral motion? Crazy talk much?

Let's assume that track and field "focuses" on "straight-line speed" instead of "lateral motion." So what? There is still a huge overlap of of soccer running skills developed in track and field.

1. Stride length and turnover rates: If there is one recurring running problem I see with soccer players, it is overstriding. This reduces speed because the additional heel-striking acts as a brake to every step. Overstriding reduces a runner's turnover rate, which also slows a runner down. When track coaches talk about getting an "extra step or two," they usually mean getting an additional stride or two in the same distance, which increases overall speed. Overstriding and low turnover rates also hurt dribbling technique, because good dribblers use short strides so that their feet are always closer to the ball. Overstriding is the first mechanical problem addressed by most track coaches, whether in sprints or long distances.

2. Torque: All good track coaches teach runners how to increase the force and rate of rotation in the abdominal section, because these muscles lift the knees up. This is mostly done with endless sprints and technical training. It is the same abdominal strength which allows players to drive their quad upward, allowing stronger kicks.

3. Fast-twitch muscle development: Soccer is primarily a "slow-twitch" muscle-cell game, and few soccer players develop their speed to its maximum. Most soccer running is done at a slow jog to a walking pace, with a relatively few periodic sprints interspersed. Soccer is fabulous for developing slow-twitch muscle cells, in the same way as cross-country running. Sprinters have a much higher need for fast-twitch muscle cells, and training as a sprinter develops these muscles better than anything else, except possibly weight training. As a result, most soccer players who train as sprinters run faster than those who don't.

4. Anaerobic recovery and ability to delay the build-up of lactic acid: Sprinters have better anaerobic recovery rates than long-distance runners. Because soccer is more like long-distance running than sprint-training, a player who trains for sprints will improve her anaerobic recovery rate. Sprint-training also helps to delay the build-up of lactic acid in muscle cells, which helps a player's endurance.

How many college football players also run track?

My girl's club teammate also runs track. State level sprinter (beyond region). OCVarsity just mentioned that she is also the top goal scorer in the county right now, http://www.ocvarsity.com/articles/league-86269-chargers-first.html

Short girls really should be working on jumping, such as long, triple and high jump to make up for the lack of height. Many college coaches look at height and if your girl isn't 5'10" but has a 12" more of a vertical leap than the other girl, might be a good selling point.

Depends upon the event. Look I'm not going to argue with you about what might work. You do whatever you want with your player. I know what worked for mine and track was a big part of it. She is doing pretty good so far in college. I can tell you that no player that get significant game time on her team is slow. All of them are expected to have great technical skills and lateral quickness. Good luck to you and yours.

Let's assume that track and field "focuses" on "straight-line speed" instead of "lateral motion." So what? There is still a huge overlap of of soccer running skills developed in track and field.

1. Stride length and turnover rates: If there is one recurring running problem I see with soccer players, it is overstriding. This reduces speed because the additional heel-striking acts as a brake to every step. Overstriding reduces a runner's turnover rate, which also slows a runner down. When track coaches talk about getting an "extra step or two," they usually mean getting an additional stride or two in the same distance, which increases overall speed. Overstriding and low turnover rates also hurt dribbling technique, because good dribblers use short strides so that their feet are always closer to the ball. Overstriding is the first mechanical problem addressed by most track coaches, whether in sprints or long distances.

2. Torque: All good track coaches teach runners how to increase the force and rate of rotation in the abdominal section, because these muscles lift the knees up. This is mostly done with endless sprints and technical training. It is the same abdominal strength which allows players to drive their quad upward, allowing stronger kicks.

3. Fast-twitch muscle development: Soccer is primarily a "slow-twitch" muscle-cell game, and few soccer players develop their speed to its maximum. Most soccer running is done at a slow jog to a walking pace, with a relatively few periodic sprints interspersed. Soccer is fabulous for developing slow-twitch muscle cells, in the same way as cross-country running. Sprinters have a much higher need for fast-twitch muscle cells, and training as a sprinter develops these muscles better than anything else, except possibly weight training. As a result, most soccer players who train as sprinters run faster than those who don't.

4. Anaerobic recovery and ability to delay the build-up of lactic acid: Sprinters have better anaerobic recovery rates than long-distance runners. Because soccer is more like long-distance running than sprint-training, a player who trains for sprints will improve her anaerobic recovery rate. Sprint-training also helps to delay the build-up of lactic acid in muscle cells, which helps a player's endurance.

Preach it DM!! I have seen how much of a difference it makes which is why I made sure my player ran track since 7th grade. She is always one of the fastest on the field and it makes a difference.

Any child who plays football year round runs the risk of being crippled by age 18.
Ahh ... risk analysis. Espola is not wrong, but his analysis is too shallow. Children who participate in gymnastics, rugby, boxing, karate, rodeo, soccer, baseball, basketball, weightlifting, sailing, climbing, skiing, and almost any other sport one can think of, all risk "crippling injury." So what are the reasons for putting your kids in sport at all?

1. Exercise: Most sports provide a lot of exercise, but the safest and most healthful activity is just doing a lot of walking. Personally, I have never heard of, nor can conceive of a person getting a "crippling injury" by walking, unless stepping in front of a car counts. So forget this soccer stuff; the smart choice is to avoid competitive sports and just walk daily with your child.

2. Mental benefits: Competitive sports are said to provide discipline and teamwork skills, which give life-long benefits. Of course, so do forensic debates, academic decathlons, robotics contests, Boy Scouts, theater and cotillion. Those are all a lot safer than sports. So why choose dangerous sports?

3. Mating Strategy: This is the only one I really believe. We (especially males) play sports to attract mates. In all life as we know it, animals compete. Few fight to the death, but many fight to "crippling injury." Animals compete in other ways too: bowerbirds build elaborate nests; antelopes stott; monkeys howl. Humans are the same: chicks dig artists and singers, but mostly they dig athletes. I believe that, deep down, nearly every kid plays sports to "show off," at least to some degree, which is a mating strategy. We choose dangerous sports because these are the ones that show the most "fitness," from a biological sense. The best athletes seemingly have the best genes, and are first choices when it comes to passing those genes along. Cheerleaders always date quarterbacks; never towel boys.

Ahh ... risk analysis. Espola is not wrong, but his analysis is too shallow. Children who participate in gymnastics, rugby, boxing, karate, rodeo, soccer, baseball, basketball, weightlifting, sailing, climbing, skiing, and almost any other sport one can think of, all risk "crippling injury." So what are the reasons for putting your kids in sport at all?

1. Exercise: Most sports provide a lot of exercise, but the safest and most healthful activity is just doing a lot of walking. Personally, I have never heard of, nor can conceive of a person getting a "crippling injury" by walking, unless stepping in front of a car counts. So forget this soccer stuff; the smart choice is to avoid competitive sports and just walk daily with your child.

2. Mental benefits: Competitive sports are said to provide discipline and teamwork skills, which give life-long benefits. Of course, so do forensic debates, academic decathlons, robotics contests, Boy Scouts, theater and cotillion. Those are all a lot safer than sports. So why choose dangerous sports?

3. Mating Strategy: This is the only one I really believe. We (especially males) play sports to attract mates. In all life as we know it, animals compete. Few fight to the death, but many fight to "crippling injury." Animals compete in other ways too: bowerbirds build elaborate nests; antelopes stott; monkeys howl. Humans are the same: chicks dig artists and singers, but mostly they dig athletes. I believe that, deep down, nearly every kid plays sports to "show off," at least to some degree, which is a mating strategy. We choose dangerous sports because these are the ones that show the most "fitness," from a biological sense. The best athletes seemingly have the best genes, and are first choices when it comes to passing those genes along. Cheerleaders always date quarterbacks; never towel boys.
Unless that towel boy happens to be extremely intelligent and ends up being a corporate officer (CEO, CFO, COO, etc) at any Fortune 500 company.

Overstriding also leads to knee injuries.

Unless that towel boy happens to be extremely intelligent and ends up being a corporate officer (CEO, CFO, COO, etc) at any Fortune 500 company.
In nature, mating strategies rarely look to the long-term. The moose with the harem is not the one who is likely to live the longest, or to become wisest; he is the one who fights best during that particular one-month season of rut. Winner takes all.

Your towel-boy CEO is usually in his 50s by the time he reaches that apex, and so is his mate. For purposes of reproduction, her useful days are over. While sex may be on your CEO's mind, he rarely wants a harem of pregnant women following him around with their hands out for child support. Purely in terms of mating strategies, the ignorant, non-condom-using 18-year old quarterback cutting a rut-path through the sophomore class is much more likely to pass his genes along than the 57-year-old CEO.

In nature, mating strategies rarely look to the long-term. The moose with the harem is not the one who is likely to live the longest, or to become wisest; he is the one who fights best during that particular one-month season of rut. Winner takes all.

Your towel-boy CEO is usually in his 50s by the time he reaches that apex, and so is his mate. For purposes of reproduction, her useful days are over. While sex may be on your CEO's mind, he rarely wants a harem of pregnant women following him around with their hands out for child support. Purely in terms of mating strategies, the ignorant, non-condom-using 18-year old quarterback cutting a rut-path through the sophomore class is much more likely to pass his genes along than the 57-year-old CEO.
I agree purely based on animal instincts with limited intelligence, but we are talking about humans. There are many females and males for that matter, who look at intelligence when selecting a mate (marriage) and having children with. As humans we are all aware, it's not the biggest and strongest gene that achieves the highest annual income. As for your CEO being 57, there are exceptions....especially, in the tech industry where young entrepreneurs become millionaires and billionaires overnight.

MJ has the highest net worth for a sports athlete at 1 billion, but Bill Gates net worth is 90 billion.

Back