Climate and Weather

Been trying to learn the finger picking sequence for Sound of Silence. My big fingers have a hard time on the part getting from modified C to G and back again quickly. But its fun. For the beginner, I find this lady's videos to be very helpful.

C to G is easy. Two fingers more or less on the switch.

There's no getting through Gore followers. Ask them to explain past Ice Ages and their eyes glaze over... " but look, I have this chart!"

To my understanding there are two main schools of thought on long term cycles that likely underlie climatic transitions such as moving from one interglacial period to the next. One has to do with the asymmetries in Earth's orbit around the sun. The other has to do with release of aerosols from the Earth's interior due to volcanism or super plume events. These may be cyclic due to slow thermal convection within the mantle.

There is lots of information online on both these forcings.

Everyone's experience is different I suppose. Mine is that questions come up pretty easy and the glazing comes when the answers are found to be difficult or require effort.

So how about a chart showing the last 6k years? Or 10k? How would that look?

Since you asked, some back and forth on a 400,000 year reconstruction based on isotope proxies can be found in posts ranging like 625-675 ish. Here's a portion of that sequence that I don't recall if I ever uploaded that spans about -20 K before present. Doesn't look like I stuck axes labels on by the y-axis is temp anomaly relative to a point within the proxy data. The red points at the end are instrumentation data from 1880 to present.

Present.jpg

What would past Ice Ages have to do with a current discussion on AGW?

Quite a bit actually. As has been pointed out before and will doubtlessly be pointed out again, it is not possible to do a climate "experiment" +/- humans as a variable on the planet. In triplicate no less. So conceptually the approach with AGW is a modeling approach, and is it just one facet of a broader effort to understand the factors that cause climate to be as dynamic-on a geologic timescale-as it is. If you can identify the natural forces that cause climatic events like ice ages, for example, and quantify them, you can ask whether our current warming trend can be explained without some additional variable that needs to be plugged into the equation.

While there were never more than 3 Stooges in any film or vaudeville stage, they were drawn over the years from Moe, Shemp, Larry, Curly, Joe, Fake Shemp Joe, Curly Joe and Fake Larry Emil, so you still have room for Izzy, the plumber, nosport, and two players to be named later.

You seemed to have gone beyond enjoying their humor and have become a staunch follower....

Explains your thinking process....

2013-updated_scientific-method-steps_v6_noheader.png

Science
1) Identify problem
2) Solve problem.
3) Tell me how you solved the problem.
4) Yes, it matters how good you are.

That research looks quite familiar........................

To my understanding there are two main schools of thought on long term cycles that likely underlie climatic transitions such as moving from one interglacial period to the next. One has to do with the asymmetries in Earth's orbit around the sun. The other has to do with release of aerosols from the Earth's interior due to volcanism or super plume events. These may be cyclic due to slow thermal convection within the mantle.

There is lots of information online on both these forcings.

Everyone's experience is different I suppose. Mine is that questions come up pretty easy and the glazing comes when the answers are found to be difficult or require effort.
Like when I ask Wez for the AGW ratio?

What would past Ice Ages have to do with a current discussion on AGW?

The question has never been, does Climate change over time. The question is, how much is man contributing to the current unusual spike up in Global temperature (since the industrial revolution starting pumping carbon into the atmosphere) and what are the consequences?

Everything if the Data is correct......
The current GW/CC premise is a LIE and
designed to steal monies thru deceit.

Back