Blues 06 - For those that want to talk about it

Never said they were. I think this discussion started with the claim (not by you) that Blues will no longer be a top destination for players now that teams like Albion and LAGSD have DA. My opinion is that Blues and Surf will remain the top dogs, and the other 2 will generally be 2nd choice. That's not a knock on those programs, and it's certainly not to suggest that they won't field teams better than Surf or Blues now and then. I will say, however, that the 04 LAGSD team, as good as it is, would be better if the several girls who left at U10 etc. were still there. That's still on Duggan and he still has no idea how to fix it.

On the keeper, I'm sure she's great. But let's just watch the larger picture this tryout season. How many keepers will the club lose at 04, 05 and 06? I know at least 3 that won't be back next year already, and that's just from the top team or two in each age. And yes, Blues is getting one of them.

I respectfully disagree. It's about coaching staff. Blues 04 age group for two consecutive years has lost large amounts of girls due to their selection of coaches. I can't see that changing moving forward.

I respectfully disagree. It's about coaching staff. Blues 04 age group for two consecutive years has lost large amounts of girls due to their selection of coaches. I can't see that changing moving forward.

That would break a fairly long run of good top teams for them. I don't think that it will change but since November nothing surprises me.

Copa: I agree 100% with your last paragraph. That said, your first paragraph is not 100% accurate (at least for the 03 ECNL players). You state that all ECNL players are bound till May 1 and cannot try out or speak to other clubs. I can tell you I personally witnessed at least five current 03 ECNL players at the Pateadores DA tryouts. The cannot try out part applies only to ECNL to ECNL clubs, but some of the DA clubs do not have ECNL status and thus are not tied to this draconian rule. As for the speak to other clubs, that is also inaccurate. I know of three different players who are current ECNL players and each of them have been offered spots on DA I teams (and I am sure many others too). I doubt there are DA I offers in writing to the current ECNL players, but if you think that the 03 and 04 DA I coaches have not been making phone calls to their "wish list" players, I respectfully disagree.

You may be spot on with your assertion about players not even thinking about any of this, but I can guarantee parents are thinking about this long and hard.

Please understand I am not trying to call you out. I am just trying to shed some light on the 03 and 04 DA teams.

You are very right!!! Didn't think of that, but ECNL and DA are different entities. So, yes, flood gates are open! Crazy times.

speaking of bombs, ask Duggan how his top girls 2008 team looks all of a sudden (and I'll give you a . Again, nothing to do with DA or ECNL, just people.

Well, Surf coaches are more than aware Duggan's been calling and emailing promising spots on the DA team, but we'll see how far that really goes, lol.

You seem upset Coach. I know it bothers you four girls you wanted from his 04 didn't come over. Maybe next year

speaking of bombs, ask Duggan how his top girls 2008 team looks all of a sudden (and I'll give you a . Again, nothing to do with DA or ECNL, just people.

What happened to the 2008 team??

And, just so my words are clear, Pauly is a stand up guy and a great trainer. Not had him as a coach, but DD loved him as a trainer.

Last edited:
Cuts justified? Perhaps Blues seem to have justified their decisions with 2 early tourney wins in big tourneys (Legends Classic/Man City Cup)? Even spring EGSL was a good showing despite all the changes.

Cuts justified? Perhaps Blues seem to have justified their decisions with 2 early tourney wins in big tourneys (Legends Classic/Man City Cup)? Even spring EGSL was a good showing despite all the changes.
After playing them in the Finals on back to back weekends, I would say they've put together a solid squad.

Question from a non-Blues parent: How many of the kids at youngers level make an impact in olders? I know that a lot of SC Blues' reputation is made on kids making USGNT/USGWT and being recruited to major colleges. I also know that they recruit heavily. So is all this winning at the youngers level part of building a brand that helps attract these same girls' replacements at olders level?

They will almost certainly win more this year, but I'm not sure if they will be better off long-term or not. Many of those girls from last year who are no longer at Blues are very good players and are on top teams at other clubs (Beach, Slammers, WCFC at the very least from what I know). When this group goes to a big field next year, who will fill in the additional roster spots now that they don't have two strong teams? I'm sure an argument can be made that winning this year allows them to more easily recruit additional players next year (for those parents focused on winning). In comparison, SD Surf seems to be very well set-up for next year if they fill out their A team roster with some of the girls from their very strong B team. I guess only time will tell if the somewhat painful changes last year pay off in the long run.

Question from a non-Blues parent: How many of the kids at youngers level make an impact in olders? I know that a lot of SC Blues' reputation is made on kids making USGNT/USGWT and being recruited to major colleges. I also know that they recruit heavily. So is all this winning at the youngers level part of building a brand that helps attract these same girls' replacements at olders level?

That would be correct!

They will almost certainly win more this year, but I'm not sure if they will be better off long-term or not. Many of those girls from last year who are no longer at Blues are very good players and are on top teams at other clubs (Beach, Slammers, WCFC at the very least from what I know). When this group goes to a big field next year, who will fill in the additional roster spots now that they don't have two strong teams? I'm sure an argument can be made that winning this year allows them to more easily recruit additional players next year (for those parents focused on winning). In comparison, SD Surf seems to be very well set-up for next year if they fill out their A team roster with some of the girls from their very strong B team. I guess only time will tell if the somewhat painful changes last year pay off in the long run.
Def see point, flip side is:

Some kids who play was solely based on size or/and aggression are no longer viable because they didn't develop past that point (while others grew), with no fault to the coaching. Not always the case, every kid is different. Kids that go to skills sessions don't always develop to the same level. Doesn't mean at all that they're bad kids.

Some players were never skills-based, touch, or foot-inclined to begin with--every kid is different. But you're right, everyone would like more good players.

Def see point, flip side is:

Some kids who play was solely based on size or/and aggression are no longer viable because they didn't develop past that point (while others grew), with no fault to the coaching. Not always the case, every kid is different. Kids that go to skills sessions don't always develop to the same level. Doesn't mean at all that they're bad kids.

Some players were never skills-based, touch, or foot-inclined to begin with--every kid is different. But you're right, everyone would like more good players.

The girls that have been able to get by on size and aggression will have a hard time on the big field. Especially once others start growing and they no longer have a size advantage. It is all about skill, skill, skill!

Back