Best 2005 Possesion Coaches

Kale is the prefect defention of kick ball, kick and chase, go deep.
We played Apple Valley about 4 weeks ago and they were doing this the first 10 minutes of the game and they were undefeated until this past weekend, so I imagine it is a common trait for their team. My daughter was playing outside the 18 most of the time to clear every ball. Hats off to Apple Valley coach who switched mid game and stopped playing that route, instead running possession through the midfield. I think my daughter had about 45 touches that game, crazy high number for a keeper when she usually gets 15-20.

I think if a team defensively runs a high back line, presses with its mids and fowards, then going over the top for the other team can be the best bet. Especially if their keeper stays on her line. Adapting during the game and taking what the other team gives you should be under consideration for all coaches. In the NFL if teams only run and throw short passes, the safeties creep up. Need to go long to keep the other team honest.

Part of that is because they usually wind up with the fastest and some of the biggest kids around. Play to your strength.

What happens to the girls when they are no longer the fastest and biggest? Does anyone have any experience on how their players develop as they move onto the older ages? Are they missing skill or lack the mental ability? I am genuinely curious...

I don't see a lot of skill development happening at practices. From my very brief experience with club soccer it seems that most of the individual skill development (needed for possession soccer) comes from private trainings.

What happens to the girls when they are no longer the fastest and biggest? Does anyone have any experience on how their players develop as they move onto the older ages? Are they missing skill or lack the mental ability? I am genuinely curious...

I don't see a lot of skill development happening at practices. From my very brief experience with club soccer it seems that most of the individual skill development (needed for possession soccer) comes from private trainings.

It is a myth that teams who practice a direct high-energy approach to games as conditions warrant don't also spend practice time developing individual skills.

We played Apple Valley about 4 weeks ago and they were doing this the first 10 minutes of the game and they were undefeated until this past weekend, so I imagine it is a common trait for their team. My daughter was playing outside the 18 most of the time to clear every ball. Hats off to Apple Valley coach who switched mid game and stopped playing that route, instead running possession through the midfield. I think my daughter had about 45 touches that game, crazy high number for a keeper when she usually gets 15-20.

I think if a team defensively runs a high back line, presses with its mids and fowards, then going over the top for the other team can be the best bet. Especially if their keeper stays on her line. Adapting during the game and taking what the other team gives you should be under consideration for all coaches. In the NFL if teams only run and throw short passes, the safeties creep up. Need to go long to keep the other team honest.

Agreed, happened recently to my daughter's team, who is known to often possess up until the ball is practically walked into the goal (sometimes too much, admittedly). Team playing them had their defenders at mid-field and wouldn't drop back even when the ball was at midfield -- trying to get our team off their game. Worked for awhile, and then the girls naturally adjusted with through ball after through ball, over the top, running onto it, sprinting down, breakaway style for the rest of the game. Ended up 4-0. Interesting to see which girls shone with that style vs. the original, typical style of play. Proud of the girls for adjusting and finding the players who had the speed to run the ball down and get a nice shot off.

Ok, resurrecting this topic as league is winding down. I don't care if it's flight 1/2 or silver/gold, I'm just looking for coaches who are trying to develop their players to play a possession style in the I.E. / North OC area, Irvine too. I don't care if they have a winning record right now- I just want a coach who is helping their players grow in not only the fundamentals, but their soccer IQ as well and who isn't a yelling maniac. Do these magical unicorn coaches exist??
Shayon Jalayer from BYSC..he is all about possession and movement off the ball. We don't have the personnel to necessarily pull it off, but this was the girl's first season with him..they will improve in the years to come if they stick together and with him as coach. It should be fun to watch.

how about Brian Ziegenhagen, Eagles 05 white & 03 coach- Technical / Tactical: Technique on Demand, Ball Mastery & Manipulation, Game Intelligence-Awareness of Surroundings, Decision Making In & Out of Possession ,Create Width/Depth; Angles of Support,Movement Off the Ball...

Back