Best 2005 Possesion Coaches

I'm definitely not against passion and I agree that kids do need some motivation at times. When I say "maniac yeller" I mean where you come on the forum and you see a random parent comment on the crazy screaming coach they witnessed. We already experienced that this season- it was awful and I won't put my DD through that again.

Ok, resurrecting this topic as league is winding down. I don't care if it's flight 1/2 or silver/gold, I'm just looking for coaches who are trying to develop their players to play a possession style in the I.E. / North OC area, Irvine too. I don't care if they have a winning record right now- I just want a coach who is helping their players grow in not only the fundamentals, but their soccer IQ as well and who isn't a yelling maniac. Do these magical unicorn coaches exist??

They exist. Carlos Guerrero FC Golden State & Randy Bowling IE Surf Premier. I could be wrong but I thought FC Golden State was practicing in Azusa (which is technically in the SGV but really not that far from the IE and it is going against traffic. Not sure if IE Surf RB is practicing in San Bernardino or La Verne, but again not a bad drive against traffic. Bowling is more of a yeller when things aren't connecting but you can tell the corrections made on game day are referencing something from training. Guerrero is not a yeller and his teams play possession. Good luck!

FWIW I see a lot of teams trying to play "possession," but the players lack the technical ability to execute it. Traps are loose; passes aren't to feet; girls lack confidence on the ball when they're under pressure. So they don't move the ball quickly, can't play out of tight spaces, and they end up having to hoof it. Most teams, despite what their coaches say, end up playing direct when they're not playing a wildly overmatched opponent. Hurtarte's CDA Slammers team makes a real effort to possess; the Galaxy teams do, as well. And I'm obviously biased, but ball mastery, technical ability, and possession are the foundation of Jacob Tudela's teams. (I'm not selling -- we're in LA.)

FWIW I see a lot of teams trying to play "possession," but the players lack the technical ability to execute it. Traps are loose; passes aren't to feet; girls lack confidence on the ball when they're under pressure. So they don't move the ball quickly, can't play out of tight spaces, and they end up having to hoof it. Most teams, despite what their coaches say, end up playing direct when they're not playing a wildly overmatched opponent. Hurtarte's CDA Slammers team makes a real effort to possess; the Galaxy teams do, as well. And I'm obviously biased, but ball mastery, technical ability, and possession are the foundation of Jacob Tudela's teams. (I'm not selling -- we're in LA.)

You speak the truth. My daughters team looks pretty good when playing a lesser opponent. But when are matched up against a faster, bigger team it looks pretty rough.
A coach who teaches possession is important. But it's also important to face the right kind of competition. Too easy and you won't learn much. To hard and you'll learn less.

They exist. Carlos Guerrero FC Golden State & Randy Bowling IE Surf Premier. I could be wrong but I thought FC Golden State was practicing in Azusa (which is technically in the SGV but really not that far from the IE and it is going against traffic. Not sure if IE Surf RB is practicing in San Bernardino or La Verne, but again not a bad drive against traffic. Bowling is more of a yeller when things aren't connecting but you can tell the corrections made on game day are referencing something from training. Guerrero is not a yeller and his teams play possession. Good luck!
Carlos Guerrero is the 06 coach and not 05. He is indeed a great coach though! You should look at IE Surf RB

Your that parent that gets upset when a coach ask his/her team to drop the ball and reset if they want to switch the point of attack huh.

Or gets upset when the coach wants his players to play short on a corner kick or goal kick.

We all seen that parent throw their hands up in the air at their coach and scream "WHY!"
In my humble opinion “pure” approaches are not the most effective. There is a place for an athletic direct style play and a place for possession. I think a good strategic coach knows when to direct players to use one of the other given the circumstances of the game. A hybrid.

The problem is that you can't teach a true possession style of play in one year. It takes multiple years of dedication in which there will be bad, bad losses. And parents nowadays hate bad losses and see it as a result of poor coaching. You'll only see true possession teams at a club that mandates it at the youngest age groups. And most clubs fall on the spectrum between SD Surf/West Coast/Beach --------------------- LAGSD/Legends/Arsenal

The problem is that you can't teach a true possession style of play in one year. It takes multiple years of dedication in which there will be bad, bad losses. And parents nowadays hate bad losses and see it as a result of poor coaching. You'll only see true possession teams at a club that mandates it at the youngest age groups. And most clubs fall on the spectrum between SD Surf/West Coast/Beach --------------------- LAGSD/Legends/Arsenal
Absolutely. It requires a commitment from the coach (who may not collect as many trophies from his or her 8 to 12-year-olds) and from the parents (who, as you say, may have to sit through some losses.) So great coaching is important, but so is great communication. For example, a team might make a lot of progress in Tier 2 and get to the point where they can dictate play pretty consistently against other teams; then they get promoted to Tier 1, where everyone is a little bigger and a little faster, and suddenly there's a fraction of a second less time to make decisions, and then the whole possession thing falls apart. Girls can lose confidence ("Why doesn't it work anymore?"), parents can lose patience ("WHY DOESN'T IT WORK ANYMORE?!"), and the coach has to send the message that what's needed is just good training and time. And if the coach backs that up with some good training over time, the team will eventually hit the next level.

So, yeah, it's mostly on the grown-ups. In my experience, when the coach commits to a philosophy, and the parents support it, the kids are actually the easiest to get on board.

"...true possession..."

What a joke.

Possession soccer is a method of playing soccer with the ball in order to reach the ultimate objective the goal. This method for the most part involves the ball staying on the ground and being distributed throughout the field with an objective. The kids playing this style of soccer need to have a different kind of soccer IQ. The coaches coaching this kind of soccer need to have a different kind of soccer IQ. The ultimate goal of possession soccer is still scoring a goal. Finding coaches that coach this style correctly are not very common. In my opinion this method isn’t very easy to coach because it involves a great deal of work and development by the coaches. It’s a shame we don’t have more coaches out there coaching this style of soccer, specially at this critical age.

Part of that is because they usually wind up with the fastest and some of the biggest kids around. Play to your strength.

Back