Are their any decent Soccer Clubs Left?

SoccerFrenzy

SILVER ELITE
Just curious, are their any decent soccer clubs left that care for the development of players? Parents wanting to go to a team for a trophy at lower level ages without thinking it's about development. Seems like how big or small the club is all they care about is $$$, stealing players from other clubs offering them free rides while leaving teams to hang dry. DOC's not caring. Not going to even mention the founders. I can go on and on.

Please let me know what clubs that are out there that actually care about player development?
TIA

I think there are plenty of good clubs for kids of all range of abilities. In my mind it is defined by what is the definition of what is a good club and the age....many parents on this board have a different definition or perspective.

The parents screw it up 90% + of the time. Most kids we interact with want to compete, play, and have fun....and most want to win and do well. It's fun to win...

There is a club for everyone, all levels. Everyone is so concerned with who is the best, etc., it boils down to what you want for your kid. What is good for you?

What are you looking for and what your expectations are for you kid(s), and most important what do they want...I always wonder how many parents even ask their kids what they want or where they want to play....vs how many are pushed toward a direction and resent it later....

We rank kids at 10 yrs old and in the Big Tournaments the parents are off their rockers crazy....

I don't think too many on this board had this kind of pressure to play or do anything this intense at this age. I can't imagine everyone on the board was a D1 athelete, national pool player, or pro player....

My two cents....soccer in So. Cal is nuts and I am a transplant from North Texas and it is nuts there too. Crazy competitive in both areas.

Just curious, are their any decent soccer clubs left that care for the development of players? Parents wanting to go to a team for a trophy at lower level ages without thinking it's about development. Seems like how big or small the club is all they care about is $$$, stealing players from other clubs offering them free rides while leaving teams to hang dry. DOC's not caring. Not going to even mention the founders. I can go on and on.

Please let me know what clubs that are out there that actually care about player development?
TIA

I would research the coach over the club. Some clubs may have the right idea with development, but may not have the right coach for it.

TIA
Legends has created a development program in the West. The development program is for players with an emphasis on technical skills and playing 50% of the game. These teams are Tier 3 and the response has been overwhelming.

I think you will find the all the parents on the forum think their kid is at a club that develops players. If the team has a winning record, then that is proof that they develop players. If the team has a losing record, it is because, per the DOC's and coaches, development takes time. My $0.02 is to forget about the club and focus on the coach.

I think you will find the all the parents on the forum think their kid is at a club that develops players. If the team has a winning record, then that is proof that they develop players. If the team has a losing record, it is because, per the DOC's and coaches, development takes time. My $0.02 is to forget about the club and focus on the coach.[/QUOTE]
What coaches/scouts can he get out to see your player as well as what tournaments he can get the team in too.

Find the right fit on an individual level with a team and coach, not a club. What your player values is important as well as the environment they can succeed and grow in. All clubs are a business and they have a bottom line, but there are coaches out there that love to influence and teach players the game regardless if it's a top ECNL or Academy team or a Tier 3 or bronze team. Whatever the level of your player, do research at the coach and team level and not the club level.

Too many ulittle parents get caught up in the win at all cost mentality and put team success in place of individual growth. Too many times I have seen players on team's that win it all, their growth as player is stunted, because they are coacheded to release the ball within a touch or two of receiving it. They are told always to send the ball forward even though the smart play could be back or to the side. These same players are loss or lack confidence when it comes to carrying the ball, shooting the ball, crossing the ball, or making a simple 8 yard pass to feet. I also recommend you find the right style, if your player has a high soccer IQ and a gifted touch, playing on a direct team that just sends it too space and let fast forwards run onto it, might not make that much sense. If your daughter is athletic but lacks technical skills, a direct team could highlight her strengths better. Finally what is your players end game, does she want to play college ball etc? As she gets older and that is for her find a situation that well help her reach those goals and polish her ability. There are many clubs that sell a great package but when you pull back the curtain you find it's smoke and mirrors. Club A puts X amount of players a year in college but only 5% of that X amount started as a ulittle in that club. Club B has 5 YNT players so they must do something right? When you have over 800 players in the club that's horrible odds that your player will ever be a YNT player. The point is go to all the club's websites you will see all their strength highlighted, but if you truly want to find the best fit look around, don't be lazy, and don't be afraid of change. After all you are the paying customer and your kid means the most to you.

As others have said, focus on the coach and not the club. The problem here is the economics of youth soccer. The average coach needs to have about 4-5 teams to make a decent living if they are going to do this full time. Coaches are under constant pressure from the DOC make the club look good by winning. The DOC and Coach is under constant pressure from the "client" aka "parents" to win. A good coach may start out with the philosophy to put "development" over "winning," but the pressure from the parents is win and play my kid. Parents also equate winning with development. While there is a correlation, winning is not the true measurement of development because winning requires 11 players to perform better than the other team's 11. Take a team with 3 great players and 8 mediocre players and have them play teams with 9 great players and 2 good players ... they will lose. But, if both coaches have the same development philosophy, those 8 mediocre players may become good or great, but its going to take time.

Why do we think that it's only up to the coach to develop the players. Formulas for succes include:
- personal training
- good coach
- good team
- kids with passion for the sport
- a lot of hard work and patience.

And don't think your kid deserves a scholarship. If he/she is that good they will rise to the top and get noticed by scouts as long as the kid is playing the right tournaments.

You can be a great club with 25 amazing coaches. But if you have 1 coach that does things the wrong way, it can make your club look really, really bad.
("Wrong way" can be anythjng from being a jerk, embezzlement, fake birth certificates, or god forbid something physical)

Why do we think that it's only up to the coach to develop the players. Formulas for succes include:
- personal training
- good coach
- good team

We tend to think it's up to the coach because, at the end of the day, they are the face of the club anyway. Most clubs don't have DOCs dropping by to make sure club policies/practices are being taught unless there is parental uprising (squeaky wheel and all). Heck I'm willing to bet the average "soccer parent" has no exposure to anyone else in the club outside their team except during "mandatory club tournament volunteer time". To your average parent all the club does is supply the fields.

So yeah ... the coach is what matters. Especially as he picks the team, which means he builds the environment your kid will be working in from the training program to peer attitudes.

You can be a great club with 25 amazing coaches. But if you have 1 coach that does things the wrong way, it can make your club look really, really bad.
("Wrong way" can be anythjng from being a jerk, embezzlement, fake birth certificates, or god forbid something physical)

Especially if that 1 coach is the DOC or club president.

I think a good club is different for each kid. Maybe some clubs develop 4-5 great players at the top and get them to college, but the other 10-15 don't develop at all. If your kid fits that criteria, then that would be a good club for you. Maybe you want playing time. Or great keeper training. Your kid is fast and amazing and wants a team that kicks it over the top. You have a keeper and they play back to them. Need a coach that is nice, or maybe your kid responds better to a kick in the butt. There are so many options, and socal clubs must be doing something right when you consider how many kids from the region make it to college and continue playing.

My 2005 kid likes the coaches and players she is with. The kids improved. The team improved. Keeping my daughter happy is at the top of my list for any club. We shouldn't fault other parents for the reasons they choose to be with a club, especially if they are looking out for their kids best interest.

TIA

Not an easy answer but, yes, there are however, it's getting more difficult with parents chasing the latest "new" avenue because they think it will get their kid recruited. While I agree with most of the replies so far, it really comes down to finding the "right" coach, then having a group of players willing to stay together and not chase the next "new", latest and greatest to get to the next level. I've had the privilege watching my oldest DD (aged out this year) play with the majority of her team mates for the last 7 years. The ones that stayed together had their ups and downs, it was a very successful team from a win/loss standpoint as well, 10 of these young ladies will go on to play at the college level. (With some of the best parents I might add), I believe it's because they made a commitment to themselves to stay together, believed in the coaching staff and truly learned to play the Beautiful game the right way. I now see my younger daughters team, having seen the highs of undefeated seasons to battling some of the best teams in their age group, parents freaking out because they're not winning every game. I see players that aren't willing to go through the rough times (development) only to jump ship to their next latest "new" team. With parents willing to make crazy commitments to drive their kid for countless hours, 3-4 times a week, it's making things more difficult for some of the smaller more development focused type of clubs but, YES, THEY ARE OUT THERE!....that was my short .02

- personal training
- good coach
- good team

And don't think your kid deserves a scholarship. If he/she is that good they will rise to the top and get noticed by scouts as long as the kid is playing the right tournaments.

100%, this is spot on.

The "clubs" are nothing more than a business and you and your child are customers. So what you need to do is find the best salesman/coach that accommodates you families needs and follows through with his/hers promises as they were selling you on their coaching ability and club being the best fit for your family. The clubs do nothing more then manages a group of salesman to follow a common goal of recruiting more players to build a larger customer base. THAT IS ALWAYS THE BOTTOM LINE IN ALL BUSINESSES - SELL MORE!
Some clubs are building a reputation based on "elite teams" (SURF) some are building on "winning teams" (CARLSBAD) and some are complete smoke and mirrors (ALBION) based on zero stats and 95% of the customers never do any kind of real fact checking on. So figure out what teams belong to what coach and do some homework on the coach. Listen to what people are saying when asking questions about the club and coach. Always take a step back and read between the lines, DO NOT get caught up in the sales pitch spewing from the coaches lips. Keep things in perspective.
The thing is we all are looking for something different and I know for a fact most parents do not want the ugly truth about lil Suzie, most want a BS story on how lil Suzie is or can be one of the best players on the field with the right coach and team around her and guess what...EVERY SINGLE coach or club you talk to has that exact perfect fit for her! HA HA HA
I think there are good coaches but lets get one thing clear all clubs are selling a product to make money and they all want to sell as much of that product as possible. Some have better marketing strategies and great locations and others are just getting by. The more money the better their marketing budget.

It is no different then buying a new truck from Chevy, Dodge or Ford they all offer a good truck, they all offer cool colors, styles and they all offer a salesman willing to promise to the moon and back when your shopping. It all comes down to what style looks best to you and who sold you the best line of BS, because in the end they all have about the same pro's and cons. And YES they all want to sell volume because volume = money and money = bonus programs = happy employees!
The big difference is there is ZERO warranty or refunds in youth soccer, no matter what the story is you will never see your hard earned money come back to you if your don't get the product promised, so make your choice wisely. Good luck.

The "clubs" are nothing more than a business and you and your child are customers. So what you need to do is find the best salesman/coach that accommodates you families needs and follows through with his/hers promises as they were selling you on their coaching ability and club being the best fit for your family. The clubs do nothing more then manages a group of salesman to follow a common goal of recruiting more players to build a larger customer base. THAT IS ALWAYS THE BOTTOM LINE IN ALL BUSINESSES - SELL MORE!
Some clubs are building a reputation based on "elite teams" (SURF) some are building on "winning teams" (CARLSBAD) and some are complete smoke and mirrors (ALBION) based on zero stats and 95% of the customers never do any kind of real fact checking on. So figure out what teams belong to what coach and do some homework on the coach. Listen to what people are saying when asking questions about the club and coach. Always take a step back and read between the lines, DO NOT get caught up in the sales pitch spewing from the coaches lips. Keep things in perspective.
The thing is we all are looking for something different and I know for a fact most parents do not want the ugly truth about lil Suzie, most want a BS story on how lil Suzie is or can be one of the best players on the field with the right coach and team around her and guess what...EVERY SINGLE coach or club you talk to has that exact perfect fit for her! HA HA HA
I think there are good coaches but lets get one thing clear all clubs are selling a product to make money and they all want to sell as much of that product as possible. Some have better marketing strategies and great locations and others are just getting by. The more money the better their marketing budget.

It is no different then buying a new truck from Chevy, Dodge or Ford they all offer a good truck, they all offer cool colors, styles and they all offer a salesman willing to promise to the moon and back when your shopping. It all comes down to what style looks best to you and who sold you the best line of BS, because in the end they all have about the same pro's and cons. And YES they all want to sell volume because volume = money and money = bonus programs = happy employees!
The big difference is there is ZERO warranty or refunds in youth soccer, no matter what the story is you will never see your hard earned money come back to you if your don't get the product promised, so make your choice wisely. Good luck.
What is it about San Diego Clubs that you don't like?

Back