ACL Injuries

Happened in the Spring but helpful to keep a running list...Sunshine Fontes torn ACL while playing High School soccer. Was #5 recruit, played on youth national teams, etc. UCLA now, not sure if redshirting.

Question, so my DD 03 tore her ACL in March and had surgery a month later. She hit her four month mark and is doing great. With social media being huge with college recruiting, would it be wise to post recovery on her social media. Or should we wait. Before the tear, she was talking to a few schools. Your thoughts?

Question, so my DD 03 tore her ACL in March and had surgery a month later. She hit her four month mark and is doing great. With social media being huge with college recruiting, would it be wise to post recovery on her social media. Or should we wait. Before the tear, she was talking to a few schools. Your thoughts?
Mine is going through same thing and roughly same timeframe. However, my DD is already committed. I'm of the "stay away from social media in general" mind set. My DD posts very little by design. That said, you will need to be forthcoming with the interested schools pending your DD is also interested. Since she is 03, there is nothing keeping her from talking to these schools. Have they continued their interest since the injury? Where are you at in the process?

Mine is going through same thing and roughly same timeframe. However, my DD is already committed. I'm of the "stay away from social media in general" mind set. My DD posts very little by design. That said, you will need to be forthcoming with the interested schools pending your DD is also interested. Since she is 03, there is nothing keeping her from talking to these schools. Have they continued their interest since the injury? Where are you at in the process?
Nothing to serious. Very beginning stages. We kind of tailored off due to the injury.

Thanks for the advice. Her expected return will be for the Spring ECNL Showcase.
All the best to your DD. Hope she recovers as expected. I suppose my DDs return will be around the same time. She's currently running and doing light ball work on straight plane. No cutting or jumping. The whole thing is brutal even though she's been a champ with her rehab and she feels great. Hard to watch your team from the sidelines...sigh.

All the best to your DD. Hope she recovers as expected. I suppose my DDs return will be around the same time. She's currently running and doing light ball work on straight plane. No cutting or jumping. The whole thing is brutal even though she's been a champ with her rehab and she feels great. Hard to watch your team from the sidelines...sigh.
I agree.

I also agree. My dad just started her first day of college yesterday. She of course can’t play yet - she’s 6 weeks post op from her surgery. ACL year in March, June surgery. Coaches (D1 school) have been super supportive and she’s right to rehab with them. She watched her team win NC from sidelines, and compete at Nationals from sidelines but she is determined to be back strong. I’m thankful colllege has her doing their rehab since I’m sure it’s better than we had. Her temp dorm roommate didn’t show up yesterday because we found out she tore her ACL as well. Sucks

I also agree. My dad just started her first day of college yesterday. She of course can’t play yet - she’s 6 weeks post op from her surgery. ACL year in March, June surgery. Coaches (D1 school) have been super supportive and she’s right to rehab with them. She watched her team win NC from sidelines, and compete at Nationals from sidelines but she is determined to be back strong. I’m thankful colllege has her doing their rehab since I’m sure it’s better than we had. Her temp dorm roommate didn’t show up yesterday because we found out she tore her ACL as well. Sucks
Ugh! That sucks. Glad she's motivated and getting proper rehab. I'm sure the fire burns in her just like my DD. They will be stronger after all the BS.

My DD tore her ACL and meniscus during her first game at Nationals in May. We got her into surgery 2 wks later. The Dr. used a cadaver so her healing process is progressing nicely. The Dr. has cleared her to start running in about 2 wks (3 mo. mark) right when soccer practice begins at her school but no contact and no cutting. She is bummed since she was looking forward to playing for her D3 school this fall but now will be redshirting. Dr said she should be ready to get back to practicing/training in November. The PT says she is ahead of schedule as far as her therapy goes and my DD hasn't complained of any pain and is feeling good. She is just excited that she will still be able to be part of the team although she won't be able to play this season.

My DD tore her ACL and meniscus during her first game at Nationals in May. We got her into surgery 2 wks later. The Dr. used a cadaver so her healing process is progressing nicely. The Dr. has cleared her to start running in about 2 wks (3 mo. mark) right when soccer practice begins at her school but no contact and no cutting. She is bummed since she was looking forward to playing for her D3 school this fall but now will be redshirting. Dr said she should be ready to get back to practicing/training in November. The PT says she is ahead of schedule as far as her therapy goes and my DD hasn't complained of any pain and is feeling good. She is just excited that she will still be able to be part of the team although she won't be able to play this season.
Sorry to hear and glad she is recovering well. My DD was cleared to run at 3 months. Make sure your DD doesn't go ape shit like my kid and run 5+ miles first time out. After the run, her knee bothered her a bit because she was running on the track in one direction putting too much pressure on the injured knee. After she dialed it back, she's feeling fine. Also, super important to roll out the IT bands before running. She's now running about 2 miles per day on the treadmill and no issues. She'll build from there. Also, she's been hitting it hard in the gym and quad/ham nearly 90%. Good luck with everything!

US Soccer and ECNL should require all of their clubs to report any/all serious injuries such as ACLs at the end of each year/season and make it public. That way, the clubs/coaches can be accountable if a greater number of injuries are occurring at one club vs. another. Eg, not resting players enough, etc.

That U of M study is interesting. Fatigue does seem like it may be rising to the top of potential causes. There are several others suggested, of course.

Yep- id like to see this type of data collected:
1. How many games did you play 30+ minutes in over the past 6 months.
2. For females- where were you at in your menstrual cycle.
3. How many times per week do you train
4. When was the most recent training before you injury. What was the intensity?
5. How do you recover after a hard training or game.
6. What were your last 6 meals? Food and time of day.
7. How many hours per night did sleep over the 7 days prior to your injury.
8. Weight gain or weight loss over the past 3 months?
9. Any nagging injuries/soreness lasting more than 4 weeks (ankle, knee, quad, hamstring, calf, hip, glutes)
10. How “ready” to play did you feel before and during the game. Did you ask to sit or sub out?
11. How far into the game or practice were you when the injury occurred.

US Soccer and ECNL should require all of their clubs to report any/all serious injuries such as ACLs at the end of each year/season and make it public. That way, the clubs/coaches can be accountable if a greater number of injuries are occurring at one club vs. another. Eg, not resting players enough, etc.

That U of M study is interesting. Fatigue does seem like it may be rising to the top of potential causes. There are several others suggested, of course.
Totally agree. I honestly have a serious gripe with DDs club because they don't mandate any ACL prevention excersices prior to training and games. They leave it to the girls and if you don't have a girl that's motivated to do it and get the team to do it, they won't do it. Given all the data regarding the decrease in injuries if you do the 15 -20 min program before training, I just don't understand the club's indifference. We have all this information and data about concussions (these are serious and I'm not diminishing anything with respect to these injuries) and absolutely nothing being done about the ACLs with girls in particular. Pisses me off!

I would be extra cautious with the recovery since the Dr used a cadaver tendon. Every study I have read says that cadaver has a much higher rate of re-tear since the body is incorporating foreign tissue. I hear that 6 months is possible for patella or hamstring but a minimum of 9 months for cadaver.

DD is in camp right now. Training started last Tuesday. Today is 5 1/2 months post acl (patella) and meniscus surgery. Our Dr cleared here to return to sport before we left. College Orthopedic is more conservative(for which we are grateful) and won't consider clearing her until a minimum of 6 months regardless of how well she is progressing. She is participating in everything but no contact allowed. She did not initially pass her fitness test (no surprise). The target was 35 on the beep test and she got a 30 (though surprisingly 7 other healthy girls did not pass). She retook the test Sunday and was one of two to pass with a 37! This week they plan on doing series of tests in the weight room to determine the strength of her repaired leg. She gets treatment every day including their off days. She has no pain running, sprinting and kicking. I suspect at 6 months she is likely to be cleared to ease into contact at practice. The most likely scenario is still redshirting. This has been a tremendously long and difficult progress but the key is to stay focused and for your daughter to stay within the guidelines her PT and Dr's allow while working hard. There is no reason why any of our daughters can't return to the field stronger and become even a better player.

Back