ACL Injuries

Dd was cleared today 6 weeks 8 days post acl and meniscus surgery! She passed the fitness test at the beginning of camp. Then all of the various hop tests. Has been participating in everything but no contact. Last week she passed all of the various strength/ lift tests. Her repaired leg muscles have returned and are now equal to her other leg. She just called me and surprised me with the clearance. She fully participated in practice including scrimmaging and she felt great. Brought tears to my eyes. It is unclear on whether she will still redshirt or start playing in a few weeks as she gets up to speed. I am ready to buy last minute plane tickets though.

So what do the doctors say about the ligament “vascularizing?” We’ve been told by two different surgeons that it’s all about re-vascularizing the ligament, and not necessarily how you actually feel (i.e. strength wise). Our doctor won’t clear her till 9 months post surgery.

So what do the doctors say about the ligament “vascularizing?” We’ve been told by two different surgeons that it’s all about re-vascularizing the ligament, and not necessarily how you actually feel (i.e. strength wise). Our doctor won’t clear her till 9 months post surgery.

I believe everyone heals at a different rate. She used her patella tendon. I have been told by two doctors that if the hamstring or quad was used it takes several more months. Also one of the keys is regaining symmetry of the legs in size and strength. Believe I am nervous. But even if she waited to 12 months I still would be nervous. We are putting a lot of faith in her doctors, Athletic Trainer, strength and fitness coaches. She has worked hard to get to this point and has passed every test.

I believe everyone heals at a different rate. She used her patella tendon. I have been told by two doctors that if the hamstring or quad was used it takes several more months. Also one of the keys is regaining symmetry of the legs in size and strength. Believe I am nervous. But even if she waited to 12 months I still would be nervous. We are putting a lot of faith in her doctors, Athletic Trainer, strength and fitness coaches. She has worked hard to get to this point and has passed every test.
I think my DD's injured leg is actually slightly bigger than the non-injured one now.. I don't know for certain, but it's tough to tell. One more month before she's cleared for plyometrics..fingers crossed. Also, how do you know if the ligament is "vascularized"?

Dd was cleared today 6 weeks 8 days post acl and meniscus surgery! She passed the fitness test at the beginning of camp. Then all of the various hop tests. Has been participating in everything but no contact. Last week she passed all of the various strength/ lift tests. Her repaired leg muscles have returned and are now equal to her other leg. She just called me and surprised me with the clearance. She fully participated in practice including scrimmaging and she felt great. Brought tears to my eyes. It is unclear on whether she will still redshirt or start playing in a few weeks as she gets up to speed. I am ready to buy last minute plane tickets though.
Note, this is a typo by Simi. He means 6 months, 8 days. Not, 6 weeks. Obvious for all of us following his dd's progress and hoping for a quick recovery but want to ensure no newbies read only this post and think 6 weeks is anywhere near the realm of possibility. 6 months is a great result.

I think my DD's injured leg is actually slightly bigger than the non-injured one now.. I don't know for certain, but it's tough to tell. One more month before she's cleared for plyometrics..fingers crossed. Also, how do you know if the ligament is "vascularized"?

I am not sure you can actually tell. Literature I have read seems to indicate that this process is completed by 16 to 20 weeks. I guess if the new ACL works properly is the only way to tell.

Note, this is a typo by Simi. He means 6 months, 8 days. Not, 6 weeks. Obvious for all of us following his dd's progress and hoping for a quick recovery but want to ensure no newbies read only this post and think 6 weeks is anywhere near the realm of possibility. 6 months is a great result.

Yikes that was hell of a typo! Thanks for catching it. From what I can tell my dd is in the top 5% from a recovery standpoint. It is really amazing that she has passed all of the hop and strength tests and that she has symmetry in her legs at this point. From a parent standpoint this is the scariest part of the recovery process.

Yikes that was hell of a typo! Thanks for catching it. From what I can tell my dd is in the top 5% from a recovery standpoint. It is really amazing that she has passed all of the hop and strength tests and that she has symmetry in her legs at this point. From a parent standpoint this is the scariest part of the recovery process.
Both my daughters have torn their ACLs (one has done it twice) and their recovery is completely different using the same doctor and PT. Each person heals different and each person has a comfort level to push the knee. Its been 3 years since the first ACL and I still get nervous watching her play.

Both my daughters have torn their ACLs (one has done it twice) and their recovery is completely different using the same doctor and PT. Each person heals different and each person has a comfort level to push the knee. Its been 3 years since the first ACL and I still get nervous watching her play.
Interesting. Good info. @Just A Dad so are you of the mindset that genetics plays a role for acl tears? Did you or their mom tear one? Girls tear at similar ages? Any other thoughts re causes?

Interesting. Good info. @Just A Dad so are you of the mindset that genetics plays a role for acl tears? Did you or their mom tear one? Girls tear at similar ages? Any other thoughts re causes?
Both of my kids had knee surgery, my son has had surgery on both knees and my daughter is 4 months out of ACL surgery. I have torn my meniscus playing soccer and my husband also tore his skiing. I think genetics plays a big factor in knee injuries unfortunately.

Both of my kids had knee surgery, my son has had surgery on both knees and my daughter is 4 months out of ACL surgery. I have torn my meniscus playing soccer and my husband also tore his skiing. I think genetics plays a big factor in knee injuries unfortunately.[/QUOTE
Will your family continue to ski? I ask because I retired my ski's after two surgeries.

Last edited:
Will your family continue to ski? I ask because I retired my ski's after two surgeries.
UGH! This is a big discussion in my family because we are skiers. However, with DD already being committed and on the recovery trail, I told her I think her skiing days are done for quite sometime. It's just not worth the risk, but she begs to differ, as she truly loves it. It's really a bummer because it's probably our favorite thing to do as a family. I didn't even purchase our passes this year :(

Are either of your DDs playing in college?

I grew up playing football and never had knee injuries and their mother ran track and has bad knees but never tore anything. my youngest who tore it twice and has had mulitple broken bones. She is super competitive in everything she does and takes to many risk. oldest daughter has never had any major injuries but tore her ACL first college practice. Youngest tore hers at 13 and 14 oldest at 18. Youngest first one happened at the end of the game hit going for ball stepped and dropped (nothing dirty). second time was 10 months later in her first scrimmage and was running full speed hit and stuck her leg out to catch herself and dropped. like i had said in earlier post she took the summer off (2 months) and was not ready to get back on the field especially without a knee brace (she refused to wear it). after the second we waited a full year and limited her playing time the first half of the season. She still never wore a knee brace because she thought it made her a target. shes now starting her second season and sees a trainer 1-2 times a week to keep everything balanced. oldest tore her ACL last 10 minutes of practice taking shots on goal. Shes 2 months into PT and is ahead of where her sister was at this point. Im not sure on the first ACL but the second and third both girls were on their periods. I do believe genetics do play a part also think fatigue was a big factor.

My son has already been back snowboarding after his surgery. He doesn't ski, never has. The rest of us continued to ski before my dd hurt her ACL.
She wants to go to Boulder, so I'm sure she will want to ski again. My son is already talking about season passes to Mammoth and Big Bear. We love to go to Park City or Tahoe, but
that will have to wait another year for my dd.

Back