ACL Injuries

Dubs, seeing your DD running will bring tears to your eyes. At first we were told 6 months post op for her to begin no contact practice. Shortly before that, Dr says he wants at least 9 months and possibly a year. The closer we got to her release, we were actually happy for the extended period off. You will hear stories about so and so came back after 6 months and then in her first game back, another injury. Let her graft heal and keep her spirits up and she will be back stronger than ever!

My DD tore her ACL in Vegas this March in National League. Right before going to college to play D1. She was devastated to say the least. We have an HMO so process has been slow but having surgery on 6/20. College coaches have so supportive and amazing and I'm sure she will get lots of rehab there as well once she starts in fall. Going to go back and read up on what to expcet. Curious mostly about the first month.

My DD had a detached ACL. Healing time was more like a fracture then a tear. Still required surgery to repair. The ACL was intact and she did not have to wait for it to vascularize. From what I understand, that process takes a year. So it was a bit quicker, she was cleared to play with a brace after 5 months. Her ortho and PT trainer both cleared her through a series of tests. Her injured leg was actually stronger than the other. She joined her sisters team a flight lower, but a year older. Played with a don joy (non joy) brace for another 2 months.

A year and a half later, PT every other week, and back playing flight 1. Her knee is still uncomfortable at times, most likely from scar tissue. She is a tough kid. She was determined to get back out there. For her quitting was never and option even though I probably would have hung up my cleats.
How did they determine it being detached versus torn?

Also forgot to add - My DD was 18 so probably post Puberty (have heard of studies showing females on or near their menstrual cycles have higher chance of tears and pulls) She was just running during a game and changed directions - nothing fast or serious UGH Its her right dominant leg.

Slightly over 3 months out from surgery for acl and meniscus. Injury occurred due to contact. Lucky that she had surgery withing two weeks of her injury. Process started slow since she was on crutches for 6 weeks. Then PT started and she was cleared to start running at 12 weeks. I spoke to PT today and she is doing great. Running (no cutting yet) and plyo drills while building quad strength. Next visit is next week at 16 weeks. Dr plans on clearing her for cutting drills at next visit along with some ball drills. We will also be hiring an Athletic trainer while continuing PT. Today she told me she has no pain at all. In fact it feels better than before the injury. Dr and PT both say the ACL is strong. She reports to camp at 5-1/2 months with first preseason game at 6 months. She feels she will be in proper physical condition by then but it remains to be seen how she responds to actually playing and whether she returns this year or redshirts. Everyone heals differently but so far so good. In the end it will be the medical staff and how she feels that dictates when she returns.

Dubs, seeing your DD running will bring tears to your eyes. At first we were told 6 months post op for her to begin no contact practice. Shortly before that, Dr says he wants at least 9 months and possibly a year. The closer we got to her release, we were actually happy for the extended period off. You will hear stories about so and so came back after 6 months and then in her first game back, another injury. Let her graft heal and keep her spirits up and she will be back stronger than ever!
Thank you very much for the encouraging words. We will definitely take whatever time she needs to heal properly. It's just she already feels great and is chomping at the bit, so tempering that enthusiasm is what we're dealing with and will be for some time it sounds like. :(.

Well looks like my older daughter tore her ACL ( younger daughter did hers twice) in her first college practice. Since we will be going down this road again I would like to ask did you use patellar tendon or one of the hamstring tendon.

Our Dr opted for the patellar tendon. So sorry you have to go down this path again. What a nightmare. Best wishes and a prayer for you all.

Well looks like my older daughter tore her ACL ( younger daughter did hers twice) in her first college practice. Since we will be going down this road again I would like to ask did you use patellar tendon or one of the hamstring tendon.

No freak’n way! I feel for you brotha. Hang in there.

Slightly over 3 months out from surgery for acl and meniscus. Injury occurred due to contact. Lucky that she had surgery withing two weeks of her injury. Process started slow since she was on crutches for 6 weeks. Then PT started and she was cleared to start running at 12 weeks. I spoke to PT today and she is doing great. Running (no cutting yet) and plyo drills while building quad strength. Next visit is next week at 16 weeks. Dr plans on clearing her for cutting drills at next visit along with some ball drills. We will also be hiring an Athletic trainer while continuing PT. Today she told me she has no pain at all. In fact it feels better than before the injury. Dr and PT both say the ACL is strong. She reports to camp at 5-1/2 months with first preseason game at 6 months. She feels she will be in proper physical condition by then but it remains to be seen how she responds to actually playing and whether she returns this year or redshirts. Everyone heals differently but so far so good. In the end it will be the medical staff and how she feels that dictates when she returns.

Damn simi, that sounds pretty ambitious. Mine tore it 10/20, surgery 1/10, started running late April. Still goes to PT 2x/week. Question for all, what do your dd’s do other days outside of PT?

We chose hammy. The way her ortho spoke about it just seemed right for her. However, she has a teammate that used cadaver and one that used patella. I guess there isn't a right answer here... just what you feel most comfortable with. Cadaver will obviously provide a quicker recovery out of surgery, but longer term didn't sound like a good choice for a young person. Whatever works for your DD though..

Damn simi, that sounds pretty ambitious. Mine tore it 10/20, surgery 1/10, started running late April. Still goes to PT 2x/week. Question for all, what do your dd’s do other days outside of PT?

We got lucky with the quick surgery since the surgeon had a cancellation. PT 3x a week and she goes to the gym most other days. After next week it will be PT 1x/week, Athletic Trainer 2x, and likely gym or running the other days. Her PT and Dr both feel she is progressing well.

Also forgot to add - My DD was 18 so probably post Puberty (have heard of studies showing females on or near their menstrual cycles have higher chance of tears and pulls) She was just running during a game and changed directions - nothing fast or serious UGH Its her right dominant leg.
sorry to hear this and best to your DD in her recovery. curious...turf or grass?

My daughter tore her ACL completely and tore a bit of her maniscus in Colorado. Surgery was 1 1/2 weeks after injury. Pre-hab 2x the week before surgery. 4 weeks post surgery today. Dr used her quad for ACL repair with screws that turn into bone and cleaned up her maniscus. PT 2x a week, 1 1/2 hour sessions. Stationary bike up to 25 minutes a day now. Ab, quad, calf, mini squats, and stretches. Used crutches for only 2 weeks after surgery. She still has a slight limp, but can bend her knee to 135 degrees and almost straightened. She is still working on her gait, mind over matter.

My son has had two knee surgeries, both cadaver, two years apart. Started running at 3 months after both. Back to soccer after 6 months the first knee, he is only 4 months post surgery for second knee. He had his maniscus replaced in both knees, knee cap shaved down and tightened back into place with some screws. He can run a mile comfortably and is beginning to kick the soccer ball around again. Goes out and plays basketball with a brace on.

My daughter tore her ACL completely and tore a bit of her maniscus in Colorado. Surgery was 1 1/2 weeks after injury. Pre-hab 2x the week before surgery. 4 weeks post surgery today. Dr used her quad for ACL repair with screws that turn into bone and cleaned up her maniscus. PT 2x a week, 1 1/2 hour sessions. Stationary bike up to 25 minutes a day now. Ab, quad, calf, mini squats, and stretches. Used crutches for only 2 weeks after surgery. She still has a slight limp, but can bend her knee to 135 degrees and almost straightened. She is still working on her gait, mind over matter.

My son has had two knee surgeries, both cadaver, two years apart. Started running at 3 months after both. Back to soccer after 6 months the first knee, he is only 4 months post surgery for second knee. He had his maniscus replaced in both knees, knee cap shaved down and tightened back into place with some screws. He can run a mile comfortably and is beginning to kick the soccer ball around again. Goes out and plays basketball with a brace on.

Best of luck to your DD in her recovery. That sucks but she'll be back on the field better than ever soon enough. Her brother sounds like great inspiration!!

Back