Academy vs. ECNL

Yes, my buddy has a son on a boys DA club. He told me in the DA 2 year combined age groups, usually the Uodd year players (older) play more than the Ueven year players (younger).

He also told me, the DA clubs have a decision after 5-6 games played to either keep a player on the roster or drop them. After 5-6 games, the player is on the roster permanently. So, if my DD was not playing much after 5 games on the DA team. I would then request for her to be dropped to the ECNL team, so she gets play time and college exposure instead.
That assumes ECNL teams keep room open. How far into the season will the DA team play it's 5-6th game? And what if you're DA at a non-ECNL club (Carlsbad, for instance)? Do you leave that club all together or stay on the top team?

That assumes ECNL teams keep room open. How far into the season will the DA team play it's 5-6th game? And what if you're DA at a non-ECNL club (Carlsbad, for instance)? Do you leave that club all together or stay on the top team?

ECNL teams can carry very big rosters (30 players). So, I don't think it would be a problem to same space and give a top player playing time mid way through the season. Especially because ECNL is split in half anyway. That long break for HS soccer would be perfect time to mix in new DA defectors. I know it's all hypothetical, but possible. No?

Not sure how non USYS teams roster, but Carlsbad also seems to stack their older rosters to 20+. Is there a season cutoff or limit for non ECNL teams?

So, you asked if players will leave clubs all together? It's what I heard happens on the boys. Why not girls too?!

I have also heard fabled legends about players that actually leave ECNL clubs for non-ECNL clubs. Shocking, but true.

I have also heard fabled legends about players that actually leave ECNL clubs for non-ECNL clubs. Shocking, but true.

That, of course, is true. The difference is, it's not player 1-11 that leaves ECNL for non ECNL, unless they are leaving a bottom end ECNL team. HOWEVER, I have seen starting NON ECNL players leave to ECNL losing teams. Saw that just this year. Frankly, I was confused. Given that the teams they left was ranked well and the clubs they left were just given DA. Saw this from two different players. Both starters and key players.

Not saying it doesn't go the other way too, but I've just not seen it. DA may change this. We shall see!

That, of course, is true. The difference is, it's not player 1-11 that leaves ECNL for non ECNL, unless they are leaving a bottom end ECNL team. HOWEVER, I have seen starting NON ECNL players leave to ECNL losing teams. Saw that just this year. Frankly, I was confused. Given that the teams they left was ranked well and the clubs they left were just given DA. Saw this from two different players. Both starters and key players.

Not saying it doesn't go the other way too, but I've just not seen it. DA may change this. We shall see!

I think it already is. Families are going to think twice about the distances and costs if they feel they can get the same or better result somehwere closer to home. At this point ECNL may need to think about reaching out to more geographical areas in SoCal. How about including a club or two somewhere in the vicinity of Los Angeles or the South Bay? Maybe they should consider reaching out to the non-ECNL DA clubs? What better way to promote their product than to capitalize off the limitations of the DA product at the clubs that have it. Time to be inclusive I think!

IMO, if the individual isn't playing...what is the point, to just train 4 days a week? I'm sure the ECNL teams will make room for a DA player who wants to drop down.

That, of course, is true. The difference is, it's not player 1-11 that leaves ECNL for non ECNL, unless they are leaving a bottom end ECNL team.

Meatsweats, I'm sorry but I have to stick up for Cali after your post above. You do know Cali's DD was the Captain of her Strikers U14 team, before moving to Legends right?

I think it already is. Families are going to think twice about the distances and costs if they feel they can get the same or better result somehwere closer to home. At this point ECNL may need to think about reaching out to more geographical areas in SoCal. How about including a club or two somewhere in the vicinity of Los Angeles or the South Bay? Maybe they should consider reaching out to the non-ECNL DA clubs? What better way to promote their product than to capitalize off the limitations of the DA product at the clubs that have it. Time to be inclusive I think!

In theory, this makes all kind of sense. Will be interesting what move ECNL makes next.

Meatsweats, I'm sorry but I have to stick up for Cali after your post above. You do know Cali's DD was the Captain of her Strikers U14 team, before moving to Legends right?

Yup. I'm aware. Did you not read the part I wrote about "bottom flight" ECNL Clubs. Isn't Strikers at or near the bottom of all ECNL. Nothing against them. I know some players that recently moved there and I think they have brought in some great coaches of recent. Just saying you don't see starters leaving Blues, Surf or Slammers to play at Legends or Carlsbad. Or do you? I could be wrong. If I am, I'll be the first to recant.

Noting that the academy teams will be combined in age groups and assuming that the teams will consist of the top 11 players from each year ( top 11 of the 04's, top 11 of the 03's), what will happen to the players who don't make the cut? Will they be moved to the b teams? And will the b teams now be the ones competing in the Ecnl, since the A teams would be in the academy? Also, will the same try-out procedure apply, or would the players need to try-out in front of specifically-qualified coaches instead of the usual coaches within the own club?

Noting that the academy teams will be combined in age groups and assuming that the teams will consist of the top 11 players from each year ( top 11 of the 04's, top 11 of the 03's), what will happen to the players who don't make the cut? Will they be moved to the b teams? And will the b teams now be the ones competing in the Ecnl, since the A teams would be in the academy? Also, will the same try-out procedure apply, or would the players need to try-out in front of specifically-qualified coaches instead of the usual coaches within the own club?

Outside of your last sentence, it's exactly what we've been talking about this whole thread.

Procedure? Who knows. Qualified coaches. What are those? Who is top, 2nd and 3rd tier? I think it's already noted. Thing is, we have to wait to see how parents and players respond. The bag is mixed and there's still a year for ECNL to make some more additions to give DA a run. Should they choose. At the end of the day, players and parents are the major factors. But even they are limited. The politics of competitive soccer is very strong!

Outside of your last sentence, it's exactly what we've been talking about this whole thread.

Procedure? Who knows. Qualified coaches. What are those? Who is top, 2nd and 3rd tier? I think it's already noted. Thing is, we have to wait to see how parents and players respond. The bag is mixed and there's still a year for ECNL to make some more additions to give DA a run. Should they choose. At the end of the day, players and parents are the major factors. But even they are limited. The politics of competitive soccer is very strong!

By qualified coaches I meant if the regular club coaches would host the tryouts or would US National Coaches be the ones picking the players for the teams?

Can a player be rostered on a DA team and an ECNL team at the same time? Or is each playing circuit mutually exclusive?

I could see where Blues, Surf and Slammers allows players to play on each team (if allowed) to have a competitive advantage over the organizations that only have DA or ECNL.
Thanks

Can a player be rostered on a DA team and an ECNL team at the same time? Or is each playing circuit mutually exclusive?

I could see where Blues, Surf and Slammers allows players to play on each team (if allowed) to have a competitive advantage over the organizations that only have DA or ECNL.
Thanks

DA girls are not allowed to compete in other league/tournaments. DA girls cannot play with non DA teams within their club or another club, during the DA season. Other than the DA season games, they can only compete with their DA teams in several tournaments approved by US Soccer. For example, I saw that boys DA have a special bracket in Surf Cup.
If you want exact information I would recommend to google the DA application document, and read the GDA FAQ page in US Soccer. There is a link to the application nearby the FAQ page.

DA girls are not allowed to compete in other league/tournaments. DA girls cannot play with non DA teams within their club or another club, during the DA season. Other than the DA season games, they can only compete with their DA teams in several tournaments approved by US Soccer. For example, I saw that boys DA have a special bracket in Surf Cup.
If you want exact information I would recommend to google the DA application document, and read the GDA FAQ page in US Soccer. There is a link to the application nearby the FAQ page.

In spite of that, some clubs require their players to register through both PDA and USYSA, giving the clubs some flexibility in how to use t he players and limiting the ability of players to leave the PDA program.

i looked into WCFC and the other 2 are a distance, but you didnt mention Strikers, are they ECNL only? and how are they? I imagine to see lots of movement again in the youth soccer world, just like this past season with the age change.......us parents are scrambling to put our kids on the right path because we want to get the best for our money........and a lot of money it is...........
Strikers aren't good enough and don't have the history and qualified coaches for a GDA acceptance. They will only be ECNL.

The top tier talent based on college recruitment by top universities (academically or for top D1 NCAA soccer schools) in SoCal is solely ECNL Teams: Blues, Real So Cal, Slammers, and West Coast.

After that you get Legends, Beach, and ECNL Eagles in the next tier of placing players at top schools.

ECNL teams Strikers and Arsenal rank well below Legends and Beach in terms of player placement.

Those are the facts in the debate, everything else is homerism.

I would like the true honest opinion of pros and cons for each....... which clubs will prevail...... let's just say I am shopping clubs for my daughters and I want to give them the best possible chance at success. What we are not hearing from our club now is any type of sales pitch on how they will sustain at their particular status right now regarding this topic and where they are headed for the future you would think we'd have a big meeting or something but parents feel like they're in the dark ....Ready ....Set .....Go....!
Like anything what is the ultimate goal with your daughter? Right now if your looking for an Avenue to college ecnl is the best option. Depending on her age the best advice is get your daughter to a good technical trainer and go from there.

Back