Academy vs. ECNL

I have heard the same as well. There is a very big difference between being a Stanford soccer player and a Princeton one and what that translates to academically.

Without further clarification, this qulaifies as one of the most useless posts of this, or the previous, forums.

Please enlighten us with your insight.

You may find if fishy, but the one I know is absolutely true!

Stanford was recruiting a former teammate of my DDs and I know for a fact Stanford's minimum GPA requirement is 3.50 without test scores. Another buddy I know DD's was also being recruited by Stanford and he told me the same. Every player is different, let's say hypothetically a player has the minimum 3.50 GPA, but still hasn't scored the minimum on the SAT/ACT for Stanford's admissions approval. The player keeps taking the test to meet the min. requirement until the admissions deadline. Waiting pins and needles hoping the last test score meets minimum admissions requirement, only to be disappointed that it didn't"

Without further clarification, this qulaifies as one of the most useless posts of this, or the previous, forums.

Please enlighten us with your insight.

When you show your level of intellect right off the first post and attack another person (who you don't know by the way) engaged in discussion, your opinion becomes irrelevant. In order to have meaningful discussion don't insult another person next time sport. This forum is rife with online cyber warriors isn't it?
I may or may not have some personal experience here. I could truly care less if you are incapable of understanding the difference college socially, college academically, long term professionally of playing at Stanford vs an Ivy. I could truly care less if you are incapable of understanding the time and travel commitments of playing at Stanford vs and Ivy and the mental, physical, academic toll it takes on that athlete at Stanford. All that shows me is that you don't understand any nuance of what I am suggesting and/or lack the ability to view anything from a different perspective and I don't intend on spending my Sunday morning enlightening you.

97391de3e69ff101ac27b5ceda66acd13f6079f906b7185e205dfffb00341f3f.jpg

My DD gets accepted or partial to go to great school like Stanford, Game over she wins, reguardless of soccer.

Believe it or not, it does happen. Why you may say?....fit. We know a fam who's dd realistically looked at the rigors of admissions, her scores/test & if (again ... if) she got thru, she'd have to maintain. Where did she finally decide to go.... She's currently at ND.

Another family/kid comes to mind on boys side (American football) who the kid is a complete stud on the field, even brighter in the class. Stanford offered the kid all that and a bag of chips, so when the dad (unassuming, but sharp guy who went to Caltech) Told them.... "thank you sir, but my boy's dream is to go to Harvard", they (Cardinal staff) were quite disappointed. This kid is now on his 2nd year at Cambridge (MA) wearing a different hue of red.

Doesnt happen often but it does happen.

Last edited:
So....soccer player difference between the 2, totally follow ya. But the academic comment doesn't compute. ??

ZD and DosE, Strkr17 makes a legit point-Princeton is incredibly challenging academically. At Stanford for example you can drop classes at last minute and do many things to keep a high gpa. In contrast, Princeton almost relishes being difficult and in a way proud that their graduates were tested and humbled...no comparison... Then there is the weather...I don't even think Stanford has an indoor pool bc the weather is so nice all the time... Take that Princeton!

Last edited:
ZD and DosE Princeton is incredibly challenging academically. At Stanford for example you can drop classes and do many things to keep a high gpa. Princeton almost relishes being difficult and in a way proud that their graduates were tested and humbled...no comparison... Then there is the weather...I don't even think Stanford has an indoor pool bc the weather is so nice all the time... Take that Princeton!

Clearly you have experience (as alum or parent) because you're 100% correct. Not to mention the mandatory psych councilling sessions student athletes must attend to offset the high rate of suicide at the ivies.

Last edited:

Striker- It's been said that "the apple doesn't fall far from the tree".....If that holds true, I'd say the future is bright for your dd and she's gonna b A-Ok because that retort/response is of Stanford/Ivy caliber ;)

Buddy_christ.jpg

As an 02 parent, when do I really have to be concerned about any of this?
Elephantchow, it depends on what type of college your player wants to attend. If your kid wants to play d3 or Ivy there is plenty of time. Attending camps in summer of sophomore year in HS will be a good time to start but Vegas and other showcases and winter college ID camps as late as junior year or even summer after junior year can work also.

I find this incredibly fishy.

The Head Coach is well aware of all his recruits test scores and grades and calls his recruits once a month on the phone starting their junior year. The Head Coach has sway with the Dean of Admissions.

Stanford does things like commit scholarship money to two YNT Goalkeepers that are the same year, but only one gets "admitted." Scholarship money now saved for another recruit, one player left scrambling but kept off the market for other top schools.

They are not above going after a player that's committed somewhere else too, even at a position where they seem stacked.

Incredible school, great team though.
It is absolutely true. Know the player well. Stanford's loss and the Ivy's gain.

My son was recruited by Stanford. (Different sport.) He has everything he needed. GPA, ACT etc. But, they came for a visit/check in and pulled grades and he had a C- in Latin at the time (bad quiz). That was the end of their interest. There are enough kids that are perfect out there they don't need to mess around.

Back