Academy season

Not really.

10-0-0, 9-0-1, 5-5-0, 4-5-1 formations occur regularly in soccer. So regularly, in fact, that there is a commonly used phrase for these types of formations, "Parking the bus".

Parking the bus happens so often and at every level of soccer, it's a feature of the game, like diving.
It doesn't matter at this point in the season. The whole 2003 ussda project is a disservice to soccer. Have any of you seen the 02's play? Get ready. The disservice continues.

It doesn't matter at this point in the season. The whole 2003 ussda project is a disservice to soccer. Have any of you seen the 02's play? Get ready. The disservice continues.
There seems to be this contagious disease in this forum where any longball, or direct play, is automatically bad, or not "true" soccer. That's bullshit.

It's part of the game. If teams are committing 3 forwards and at least 2 mids to a press, longballing it to a wide open winger is the correct play. The point is to move the ball to space, force the other team to stretch their formation to cover that space, and exploit the gaps.

Some teams are over committing to the press, expecting their opponents to tiki-taka into their press, and then bitching when their opponents longball over their trap. There's an easy way to beat the longball, space your players properly when pressing.

There seems to be this contagious disease in this forum where any longball, or direct play, is automatically bad, or not "true" soccer. That's bullshit.

It's part of the game. If teams are committing 3 forwards and at least 2 mids to a press, longballing it to a wide open winger is the correct play. The point is to move the ball to space, force the other team to stretch their formation to cover that space, and exploit the gaps.

Some teams are over committing to the press, expecting their opponents to tiki-taka into their press, and then bitching when their opponents longball over their trap. There's an easy way to beat the longball, space your players properly when pressing.
If we were talking about youth rec soccer or adult Sunday league games, sure.
These boys are students. They're supposed to use their games to test how well they can apply what they've learned in training. Thirteen year old boys at real academies are not considered soccer players. They're students. They can learn what you recommend in a week when they're 16.
No worries, though. I don't see this happening at any academy, especially the MLS academies. If you're up a goal or two get ready. All about the wins and egos (not my words).

The kids at flight 1 level and above should know how to play in tight spaces, quickly pass to open man in diamond or box, switch the field, and recognize when a pass over the top is warranted. JJP has a point, direct is not always bad, it is a style of play, if you don't have the athletes to do that, can't bitch if the other team does. You have to find a way to counter another teams speed or direct play. Coaches and players have to recognize and account for the other team when they have a burner up top. Reading danger, knowing where you are in space, and reaction time are differences between good players and great ones.

The kids at flight 1 level and above should know how to play in tight spaces, quickly pass to open man in diamond or box, switch the field, and recognize when a pass over the top is warranted. JJP has a point, direct is not always bad, it is a style of play, if you don't have the athletes to do that, can't bitch if the other team does. You have to find a way to counter another teams speed or direct play. Coaches and players have to recognize and account for the other team when they have a burner up top. Reading danger, knowing where you are in space, and reaction time are differences between good players and great ones.
Shhhh....

It's not just about winning, bro.

When teams are playing 4-5-1 or 5-5-0 like what described they are trying to eke out draws basically 0-0, 1-1 etc and they has been a number of those recently.

At this age really no need for that, if coaches are that afraid of losing and will sacrifice play for results there are bigger problems.

Teams can press with everyone and there is no trap, all the players should be learning how to adapt to any situation but having 10-15 players bunched up in the middle field all game scrambling for every ball doesn't help that much IMO,

Just my own theory, but I think some of these "Dev Academy" clubs have a higher obsession with their win/loss record because they think if they can finish near the top of the table, they'll have a better chance getting full DA status.

A few years ago, there used to be a publicly available score card of each Academy club. I'm guessing the clubs protested about having this public, which is a shame. It was a useful tool to see which DA clubs were trying to run like real academies and which ones were operating just like glorified flight 1 teams.

Just my own theory, but I think some of these "Dev Academy" clubs have a higher obsession with their win/loss record because they think if they can finish near the top of the table, they'll have a better chance getting full DA status.

A few years ago, there used to be a publicly available score card of each Academy club. I'm guessing the clubs protested about having this public, which is a shame. It was a useful tool to see which DA clubs were trying to run like real academies and which ones were operating just like glorified flight 1 teams.
Glorified Win At All Costs Flight 1 teams that's what they really are.

Yea but some of these coaches charge $good Dam money ,and all they do is recruit instead of teaching the game properly,and you arestill playing long ball .so what's the purpose of paying 1800$ to a level E,or D .coach. just stick around in local sunday league and play long ball.save some money....its so sad. There's a big difference between recruiting and great training. Some of these wining teams flight one . Have the poorest soccer training it's so funny...

I just think if you are winning you are developing.
Galaxy and Goldenstate are the teams that I see developing the kids the right way...
That's what I am seeing on the field...
Don't get me wrong there is alot of talent on other academies.

Galaxy and Goldenstate are the teams that I see developing the kids the right way...
That's what I am seeing on the field...
Don't get me wrong there is alot of talent on other academies.
Is it really development if you take the most advanced kids, put them in something close to their natural positions and let them play?

There are a couple or two players playing up at some of the academies that are top prospects like EA on the GA. they rest are pretty much along for the ride.

Considering the amount of resources spent over the 10 years , you would expect more players rising to the top but that really hasn't happen yet for the Socal Clubs domestically.

Some of the top prospects for clubs like GA ending up playing for the mexico YNT's so there is opportunists losses for the US YNT's . Other players go on to the foreign leagues or else where so academy hasn't been a great investment for player return yet, more of a pass through or springboard to other things for the players.

LAFC is coming on and will start the MLS season in 2018 with a full academy slate of teams planned in 18-19'. Going to be interesting to see how they might do things differently, with two MLS clubs near by going to make for more opportunities and competition for players. The way the system is setup the rest of the clubs don't have the allure that the pro clubs bring so they have a need to be better at developing players to keep up, overall some would say they do a better job with less while others say those with more should be doing better but that's opinion and I haven't seen any stats on that either-way.

Galaxy and Goldenstate are the teams that I see developing the kids the right way
Assuming you're serious, you couldn't be more wrong. The need to win trumps development at this point.
My son can paint a one-eyed bull like a million dollar Picasso painting this afternoon, as if he were an artist. But he's not an artist. His one-eyed bull wouldn't be worth shit. It took Picasso decades of hard work to become an artist.

There was a 10 year old girl "painter" not that long ago. Oprah "discovered" her. Sold her art for millions. But the people buying that crap didn't know what art is. It looked like art, after all. Not a stretch to imagine she's still painting crap today.
Our boys too look like soccer players. They wear the same $300 shoes as Ronaldo and Messi. They too will be playing like crap five years from now because we're treating students as if they were soccer players.

Did your player get a straight red vs RSC?

10-man galaxy for 40 mins+ 3-1 over RSC.

According to the game Report all goals scored in the last 15 minutes of the game, maybe someone could give us a better perspective of what happened during the game?

The goalie from real so cal was the player of the game...
He kept the score close...
Not surprised, I've seen a couple of RSC games and the kid has made amazing saves, now if he was the man of the match that means Galaxy dominated with 10 players most of the game?

Reactions: JJP
Back