7 vs 7 questions for SoCal League

I appreciate the reference and have read these. It is possible i missed the directive from US Soccer on competitive play to be removed and diminished and/or played in a closed scoring system. I do see the Development Initiatives on coaching and development but did not come across anything that references my points.

My stance on laziness isnt solely based on the hidden scores and $8 trophies. It is the entire setup of the 7v7 system which i have justified on a few occasions in this thread. The only cost the SoCal Soccer League incurs for this is the use of the GS platform, approximately $8 per team per matchday, and a minimum wage employee initially setting up the brackets and. After that from what i have learnt here is updating a Red Card list weekly on their site. Outside of that there appears to be 0 expense and/or effort put in to the 7v7 bracket. This has been my experience in its totality. While i have gained a lot of valuable insight into youth soccer in the US and a lot of my assumptions/expectation curbed and a few changed based on the time everyone has put in to discuss this topic and educate me and hopefully some others, it doesnt change some of the things that are mismanaged / misrepresented / unaddressed by SoCal Soccer League and maybe US Soccer.

I fail to see how any rule or intent is being broken and so does legal counsel. I appreciate your thought behind this but from a legal standing the only entity breaking any practice is SoCal Soccer League.
Wait....so am I to gather from your legal statements that you are either suing or in the process of suing SoCal League? For a first year 7v7 soccer game??? Presumably it's because some injury resulted from the game in question, and not just because you think they are false advertising?????

I think the main concern Random was raising outside any legal context is political: that the league would be unhappy going around the restrictions has set up in light of the directives from US Soccer. Potentially they would have to answer to US Soccer why are you allowing parents to do that. That potentially has them taking an issue with your club. Which (unless you are the director of said club and it is yours) will make them not to happy with you and your player. So unless you have the backing of your club (not just the team because otherwise now it's just the coach you put on the hot seat), not exactly the wisests of moves politically, again separate from all the legalities.

I appreciate the reference and have read these. It is possible i missed the directive from US Soccer on competitive play to be removed and diminished and/or played in a closed scoring system. I do see the Development Initiatives on coaching and development but did not come across anything that references my points.

Then you either can't read, or can't understand the meaning of what you're reading. The intent of US Soccer is to minimize the focus on winning at all costs attitudes for the youngers, and focus instead on individual player development and maturation. If you can't see the direct and obvious actions that are being taken to attempt to implement that directive - you are either intentionally or unintentionally blind. I'm assuming the former, but it sounds like you're trying to convince everyone of the latter. Either way it's both tedious and ineffective.

I fail to see how any rule or intent is being broken and so does legal counsel. I appreciate your thought behind this but from a legal standing the only entity breaking any practice is SoCal Soccer League.

If you believe that the link to this thread isn't likely already in the hands of someone below, you are naive.

BOD.png

"Hey Michelle - which U7 team was bitching about a 5 year old stomping on other kids, and sent us that useless video with legal threats? Check out what the guy is saying now online. Apparently he's contacted GotSport directly to get a PIN to recreate the full standings table for U7 and share it widely. Anyone talked to their DOC lately about expectations for the youngers?"

Then you either can't read, or can't understand the meaning of what you're reading. The intent of US Soccer is to minimize the focus on winning at all costs attitudes for the youngers, and focus instead on individual player development and maturation. If you can't see the direct and obvious actions that are being taken to attempt to implement that directive - you are either intentionally or unintentionally blind. I'm assuming the former, but it sounds like you're trying to convince everyone of the latter. Either way it's both tedious and ineffective.
You have apparently regressed back to name calling but thats fine. Since you are so good at comprehension please elaborate where it states to remove competition all together? Where does it state member organizations should engage in false marketing practices? Where does it state member organizations should charge for services and have the members do the work after paying? where does it state the league should provide incompetent supervision and lack of oversight? i can go on but lets start with this.

If you believe that the link to this thread isn't likely already in the hands of someone below, you are naive.
I dont have a problem with anyone having a link to the thread. I am hoping to effect change.

Wait....so am I to gather from your legal statements that you are either suing or in the process of suing SoCal League? For a first year 7v7 soccer game??? Presumably it's because some injury resulted from the game in question, and not just because you think they are false advertising?????
I retain the right to go to the District Attorneys office and have them take the case on. I am not looking to profit of this and/or sue the League in any capacity but will do what it takes to protect the rights and safety of the children on the team(s)

I think the main concern Random was raising outside any legal context is political: that the league would be unhappy going around the restrictions has set up in light of the directives from US Soccer. Potentially they would have to answer to US Soccer why are you allowing parents to do that. That potentially has them taking an issue with your club. Which (unless you are the director of said club and it is yours) will make them not to happy with you and your player. So unless you have the backing of your club (not just the team because otherwise now it's just the coach you put on the hot seat), not exactly the wisests of moves politically, again separate from all the legalities.
The information i have shared is freely available. My If the League has to respond to US Soccer about there incompetence and or laziness in setting up the correct structures that is on them. Maybe they will take heed of the issues that they have and incorporate positive change. It is not mine or the clubs responsibility to look out for the "happiness" of the League Management but it is our responsibility to look out for the safety and rights of our players and staff.

I am a new parent in US Club Soccer world. I grew up overseas and the systems were very different to what we see here. I have several questions and was hoping for some honest unbiased feedback:

SoCal league appears to be the only relatively functional system in our area right now. The others as seen from multiple threads have died of or are basically splinter organizations. However, SoCal Soccer League seems to have no oversight and/or systems in place to register teams accurately. Currently, they have both a U8 and U7 league for Fall. In the U8 brackets they have over 150 teams registered with more than 40% of them being U7/U6 teams.

(a) Why are they allowing teams that are the wrong age group to register? This appears to be an automatic rejection that can be plugged in to GotSport but they dont use it?
(b) Is there some valid reasoning to this?

The 7 vs 7 brackets are also now closed in looking at results (granted you can still retrieve them with a little common sense from gotsport) and the League is not going to recognize winners / runners up or acknowledge the performance of any team.

(c) Considering we pay the league fees, managers/coaches enter the scores, we print the teams sheets for the referee, pay the referee fees for each game, provide corner flags etc - what does the League do? Isnt this equivalent to us hiring and paying someone to do a job only for them to come over and watch you do the job your self? The entire 7 vs 7 section are glorified friendlies with with majority of the teams wrongly bracketed and/or even allowed to play club instead of having them play in a recreational league.

(d) Given that so many teams are wrongly registered in each age bracket and flight what kind of oversight is there on an organization like this to prevent abuse of children and parents from clubs and the league just milking them for their money? Looking at all the scores in many of the U8 and U9 brackets there only appears to 1 maybe 2 out of every 9/10 teams that actually should be in club soccer.

(e) Lastly, but most importantly given that SoCal Soccer never has any representatives at games and dont want to listen to feedback from Coaches / Managers who watches out for teams flagrantly violating the league rules especially those related around other coaches screaming and berating their own players?

Any feedback or insight in the world of club soccer at this age, league, systems etc is much appreciated!
Great questions and great responses from the folks. We have a big mess on our hands with youth soccer in SoCal. This is the Mecca they say. The best of the best is produced right here. About 2% of the paying customers seem happy though. I tried to speak up about many things in the past and they fell on deaf ears. We need a system like they have in Europe. I like what Spain does. This is a big money grab and big cash cow for some. There is no order of leagues, just the "my league is better than your league." No promotion or regulation in any league, just like MLS. I wish you guys all the best. I have a friend from Chile who has a dd who can flat out play the game the right way. I think she will be heading over to Spain next year and play on one the top academies.

1696632176503.png

You are a tool. My snap assessment was spot-on. You're not posting to learn anything, share anything useful, or debate in good faith. You're just an arrogantly clueless, overly-privileged expat who is in for a world of disappointment. When people think of dumbass U8 soccer parents - they are thinking of people like you. Good luck on your adventure, you're going to need it.

You are a tool. My snap assessment was spot-on. You're not posting to learn anything, share anything useful, or debate in good faith. You're just an arrogantly clueless, overly-privileged expat who is in for a world of disappointment. When people think of dumbass U8 soccer parents - they are thinking of people like you. Good luck on your adventure, you're going to need it.
Thanks for the assessment. Clearly as stated earlier you are most likely a spokeperson for SoCal Soccer League or taking your share of their false marketing dollars. Instead of talking down to people on youth soccer i suggest you first learn the difference between Initiative and Directive. Everytime you have been directly asked to quantify your assertions of superior understanding and knowledge you have stooped to name calling and ridicule. Clearly you have a problem articulating your thoughts so no need to add anymore of your anger and hate to this thread. If you do grow out of your tantrum phase and have something productive add please feel free.

I retain the right to go to the District Attorneys office and have them take the case on. I am not looking to profit of this and/or sue the League in any capacity but will do what it takes to protect the rights and safety of the children on the team(s)
Wait - you're alleging criminal action? At a U-little soccer game? Where you already signed the waiver?

I'm no lawyer, but... good luck with that.

Wait - you're alleging criminal action? At a U-little soccer game? Where you already signed the waiver?
If the League chooses to keep allowing referees to come out who are either not capable of keeping up with play thereby willfully endangering the children, or who are repeatedly and willfully allowing coaches/sidelines/parents to promote violence, racism, and/or emotional/mental harm to the children on the field then yes.

If the League chooses to keep allowing referees to come out who are either not capable of keeping up with play thereby willfully endangering the children, or who are repeatedly and willfully allowing coaches/sidelines/parents to promote violence, racism, and/or emotional/mental harm to the children on the field then yes.
The ref situation is horrible at best in Socal in all leagues. I'm not saying all the refs suck, but most of them have no idea how to ref a futbol match. In Spain, most of the kids would be banned from playing the style we play here. They would be sent over to kickball and rugby leagues. Soccer in the States is not like Futbol in Europe. I know were talking 7x7, but High School Soccer refs were unable to make a call or pull a yellow, let alone a red card. I told my kids AD that if he doesn't hire refs that make a call and could at least jog up the field, then I will speak with the higher ups at the district. I was serious. It was dangerous and scary. and AD came through with the top refs. We do need to pay qualified refs more money per game. The abuse they take from parents deserve more pay. They just need a good teaching on how to call the game right. I'm grateful my dd made it out alive and not hurt bad in the 11 years of club. Welcome to the forum by the way Rhyser. Opinions are always welcome, and you even come with solutions in some cases. I keep telling the parents they need a voice at the table. The kid's wellbeing needs to come first and that means, "safety first." That was the only thing my wife yelled at refs for. We actually played against a dirty player, who kicked one of our players in the back of the leg and ref saw it. 100% Intentional swift kick. He gave her a warning. A warning bro, that's it. I was shocked until I saw her rich daddy talking to the ref at the snack shop and giving him a "thank you" so to speak.

I generally don't like name calling on this board because we're supposed to be talking about soccer, but this is delusional. No DA in the country will take this on. For one thing, _you_ put your child in the situation and signed a waiver shielding the club and league from responsibility, so who is ultimately responsible? No one's forcing you to make your kid play in SoCal.

So I circle back to my original response. Take your kid out of "competitive youth soccer". They'll end up a better player.

I, for one, can't wait to find out what happens. I give you credit for taking a stand, but the problem some are having (I presume) is that people come on this board all the time telling tales of dangerously clueless refs, violent kids, psycho parents, and coaches putting kids in at risk in a million different ways, but there's never video and when there is, the content is decidedly underwhelming when compared to the story told. If you can back up what you are saying, you will be due an apology, but don't hold your breath for it! ;)

The ref situation is horrible at best in Socal in all leagues. I'm not saying all the refs suck, but most of them have no idea how to ref a futbol match. In Spain, most of the kids would be banned from playing the style we play here. They would be sent over to kickball and rugby leagues. Soccer in the States is not like Futbol in Europe. I know were talking 7x7, but High School Soccer refs were unable to make a call or pull a yellow, let alone a red card. I told my kids AD that if he doesn't hire refs that make a call and could at least jog up the field, then I will speak with the higher ups at the district. I was serious. It was dangerous and scary. and AD came through with the top refs. We do need to pay qualified refs more money per game. The abuse they take from parents deserve more pay. They just need a good teaching on how to call the game right. I'm grateful my dd made it out alive and not hurt bad in the 11 years of club. Welcome to the forum by the way Rhyser. Opinions are always welcome, and you even come with solutions in some cases. I keep telling the parents they need a voice at the table. The kid's wellbeing needs to come first and that means, "safety first." That was the only thing my wife yelled at refs for. We actually played against a dirty player, who kicked one of our players in the back of the leg and ref saw it. 100% Intentional swift kick. He gave her a warning. A warning bro, that's it. I was shocked until I saw her rich daddy talking to the ref at the snack shop and giving him a "thank you" so to speak.
I've seen that some teams are starting to carry extra forwards because they know a certain amount are going to get hurt.

Although nobody is saying it out loud the reason forwards are getting hurt more than other positions is because refs aren't giving yellows/reds for dangerous play by defenders.

I've seen that some teams are starting to carry extra forwards because they know a certain amount are going to get hurt.

Although nobody is saying it out loud the reason forwards are getting hurt more than other positions is because refs aren't giving yellows/reds for dangerous play by defenders.
100%. If the refs made calls the right way, club soccer would be reduced to 20% of the players. I made up that percentage by the way ;)

I generally don't like name calling on this board because we're supposed to be talking about soccer, but this is delusional. No DA in the country will take this on. For one thing, _you_ put your child in the situation and signed a waiver shielding the club and league from responsibility, so who is ultimately responsible? No one's forcing you to make your kid play in SoCal.

So I circle back to my original response. Take your kid out of "competitive youth soccer". They'll end up a better player.
I agree it's unlikely a DA would ever do something. They aren't locking up the shop lifters what makes him think they'll actually do something like go after a kids soccer league after the waivers. See…maybe he shouldn’t be shocked by American puffery after all. He seems to be capable of it.

One thing the op doesn’t understand is the leagues aren’t some deep pocket monster calling all the shots. Especially after calsouth, they are just an instrument for the clubs. He’d have to go up (to us soccer) and down (to his own club which made the decision to sign up his player and play them in the league). Won’t exactly win his kid friends in a cut sport with a problematic parent unless he’s prepared to possibly have his kid write off any prospect for future soccer (including the academies down the line)

still there was the concussion lawsuit. As I once told dad4, I’ve always wondered if there was a parent who’d bring down the system in a lawsuit. That parent would likely have to have tremendously deep pockets and want to spend thousands of dollars in a lawsuit or be able to get a lawyer that would be willing to donate time or a contingent. Still I’d bring the popcorn if someone else contributed the tequila. I always thought the more likely culprit was some small club with high performing teams locked out of letter league looking at competition law.

I wouldnt be so quick to jump on this bandwagon . There are currently two former OC Mayor's kids playing youth soccer in the 7v7 league. There are 3 ADAs who have kids starting and/or playing in the league that i know off and next year is an election year for the DAs office. Several willing to take this on as a marquee case if push comes to shove.

No one's forcing you to make your kid play in SoCal.
I am not forcing my child or those on our teams to play in SoCal but we are giving them the option to chose. Alongwith that we are doing the best to make sure that they are not being exploited by those around them and the safeguards that they have a right to are in place. Your argument is akin to saying that no one is forcing people from different races to live in the US. Maybe if they leave then there will be no racism in the country.

SoCal soccer is a small world especially in the top flight. You are going to see the same kids, the same parents and the same coaches again, again and again. Coaches do change clubs often and they do talk to each other. You don’t want to get a reputation. Your heated game is not the norm. We have played SoCal for many years, for the most part it’s well run and well organized. For the price of a tournament, we get 12 games. What’s there to complain about?

@Rhyser I usually don't get into too many discussions on here, but for whatever reason this one is captivating me. I know you are really lighting a fire under some folks, but I am really trying to take what you have posted in. It seems like you really have a beef with many things SOCAL but the nature of some of your posts seems to be ever changing so in my mind I am trying figure out what the deeper issue is here.

I went back to your original post. To paraphrase it was basically the bracketing/aging of the youngers is too variable and uncontrolled, why do we need refs when they don't do much because these are glorified friendlies (parents do all the work anyways), the league provides no oversight or mechanics for feedback. Got it, and everyone has a right to their own opinion. Then I just looked at some of your replies on the post below and I want to get some clarification, and then add some of my own thoughts.

You have apparently regressed back to name calling but that’s fine. Since you are so good at comprehension please elaborate where it states to remove competition all together? Where does it state member organizations should engage in false marketing practices? Where does it state member organizations should charge for services and have the members do the work after paying? where does it state the league should provide incompetent supervision and lack of oversight? i can go on but lets start with this.

-False marketing--Is that back to the "competition" thing? I though that was quelled with all the information provided by myself and so well by other posters that this comes from US soccer. And just for the sake of argument there are definitions of "competition" that do not involve wining or a victor....It can be as simple as 2 opponents engaging in a contest.
-Members do the work that we play the league for- What exactly are you yourself doing that you feel is reasonable that the league should be doing for the league fee? From your original post- we pay the league fees, managers/coaches enter the scores, we print the teams sheets for the referee, pay the referee fees for each game, provide corner flags.
-Lack of supervision- I know what you mean here and I will touch on it further down.

You went a long way in your original post of coaches screaming and berating to now the allowance of literal violence, promotion of violence, and now (100+ posts into the thread), eh, racism. It just comes off as things are being exacerbated for affect or to fall in line with the veracity of the narrative . I mean when I read the quote above I took it as you are saying the refs are allowing for blatant child abuse to occur.

Listen I don't know what the truth is and what is isn't..... I am just telling you as a total neutral observer for this point alone it comes off as you are exacerbating these stories. If this was really occurring this would be points 1, 2, and 3 of my original post..... not what are 17's playing in the 16s bracket and why do we need refs ? But maybe that’s just me.

A couple points from me (as someone with 40+ years in the game that held every position possible outside of being on the BoD of a club)

- True league fees for SOCAL are about $500 ($400 last year so i am adding for inflation and for nicer numbers), higher for NPL ( but I think most of those extra $ go up to NPL admin) . So across all age groups lets say avg roster of 15 players, so about $33 per player. You average club player including team fees and all the crap like canopies, unforms, etc is lets say 2.5-3.5K ( My DD is 4K not including travel costs) So your cost to SOCAL is about 1% of what you pay annually. At what we are already paying now, and what you seem to be asking for, do you know what that will do to out of pocket expenses?

I don’t know what all goes into that but obviously website maintenance, admin costs (organization, coach/mgr/admin certification management, compliance with fields, field permits, referee association management, scheduling, and I’m probably missing a ton)
So my question to @Rhyser is do you expect for that fee that the league in addition to these duties does what you mention in the OP (enter scores, print your match cards, accounting costs to pay the refs directly via the leagues?)

And while we are on the subject of SOCAL in regards to "oversight" you mentioned a few times.... I think SOCAL is close to 1K teams now, lets say on any given day there can be 300-400 games on 150-250 fields? Are you saying you would expect the league to provide a rep at each field weekly? Its crazy to even think what that would cost.

- With respect to referees, you mentioned before having coaches and manager evaluate them and based on those evals they may be eliminated form further refereeing. Thats asinine. First coaches are not objective and therefore cannot evaluate without bias. Many managers have never even played the game. You could maybe have some sort of feedback mechanism when coaches can give their input, but that would get out of control Secondly, even most coaches do not know the laws of the game (IFAB changes them annually)... Many still think any hand on ball contact is handling. Your only option is to have a more extensive network of referee assessors (we already do)-- but again, we are short refs as is, and many that assess and needed to cover games in the first place. And then who foot the bill for the assessments? There is actually within the Cal South referee Core an initiative to make all coaches pass the Grassroots ref course before they are allowed to coach.

With regards to pace of play, That is usually and issue for 11 v11 and much less at 9v9 and especially 7v7. I get it I hate it myself when I see refs hardly leave the vicinity of the center circle. If the egregious incidents that you say are occurring are actually happening, they should still be easily visible regardless of your position on the field ( most 7v7 are 55x35 yards). Im not saying isnt not possible but to me, unlikely. I whole-heartedly agree with @TopesWin in that in all my years I have had few instances of where what someone’s description of an incident to me was as bad or worse than described (whether I saw it live myself or on video after the fact), but hundreds if not thousands of where the description was exaggerated compared to the actual incident.

y final thing is this....if you want change then post the video if the incidents occurred how you describe. I am no legal expert but I don’t think posting a real factual video would preclude you from pursing something legally. There have been numerous incidents in soccer alone ( mostly player and parent physical attacks on refs) that helped create a storm of community support and change. I think there was even a incident in basketball last year I believe at Laguna Hills high School that only became known thanks to a video being posted.

Lastly, thin about this.... lets say you persue this, and lets say by some way somethings comes of it legally (lets just talk about referees). How many referees do you think will still want to do the jobs knowing what potential repercussions are (lets say there is no video evidence but parent A says the ref allowed for player B to hit my kid and he should be held liable criminally or civilly for allowing it? Or even coaches? What will that do to "competition"?

You guys all take care…..

You don’t want to get a reputation. Your heated game is not the norm. We have played SoCal for many years, for the most part it’s well run and well organized. For the price of a tournament, we get 12 games. What’s there to complain about?
The warning always come from parents to STFU. We played 11 years in Socal soccer. I got a bad reputation by the Docs Jamis, who then told the scouts to stay clear of "Hawk Dad" that's for sure. My dd was punished all because I spoke up, challenged the higher ups and complained about naughty and yelling behavior with coach, doc, assistant coaches and some of the paying parents. My complaining was 100% for the physical protection and mental wellbeing of our daughters. What did I get for speaking up? Yup, a bad reputation :( I already said the GDA was 100% a "Bait & Switch." When most of the Docs talk, they lie. Fraud is real folks. Telling a parent, you can make a slow player fast is utter nonsense and a big fat lie.

Last edited:
I wouldnt be so quick to jump on this bandwagon . There are currently two former OC Mayor's kids playing youth soccer in the 7v7 league. There are 3 ADAs who have kids starting and/or playing in the league that i know off and next year is an election year for the DAs office. Several willing to take this on as a marquee case if push comes to shove.
You've already brought this up with these DAs...? Why didn't you lead with that? Who would they charge and with what specific crimes?

And what do you mean by "if push comes to shove"? What would trigger the ADAs taking action?

And what do you think this will accomplish? These leagues come and go. If there were criminal charges against CalSouth, that would be the end of it and something else would take its place. But it would be exactly the same. There are still too few refs and the talent is still spread out and Americans still don't know enough about how to develop players. No league will change this. Because league play is not how you develop players.

Let's just say that every time you post, I get more skeptical.

Back