2019 Women's D1 Soccer Talk!!!!

Are you sure about that? The only result of note from the WCC this weekend was a 0-0 tie vs. Texas A&M.

The anchors at the bottom of the conference will make it very difficult to get three teams in.

True but the WCC elite can make some statements in the next couple of weeks. The wildcard is what damage Portland can do. They already tied wash.

True but the WCC elite can make some statements in the next couple of weeks. The wildcard is what damage Portland can do. They already tied wash.

I hate to say this but UDub isn't very good this season. They might finish in dead last place based upon early results from the Oregon schools. They were the only schools that I saw finishing below the Huskies this season and now that doesn't look to be the case. Could their coaches last season be her worst?

Very curious to watch everyone's observations of SCU as the season unfolds. I saw them play Oregon on Sunday. The score does not indicate it but Oregon outplayed SCU in the first half (not dominant but outplayed; a very long-range goal by SCU with about 28 seconds before halftime was the only goal). SCU was definitely more dominant in the 2d half but the goals were not the result of crisp passing, good build-up, etc. As I wrote separately to @SpeedK1llz , they collapse on any player who has the ball at the top of the box - and by "collapse", I mean that. It was effective but if a ref calls things tighter or if a team who plays them frequently anticipates (and attacks from the wing), I think they will concede some goals. Their super frosh (whom you SoCal folks know very well) was impressive with 2 goals and an assist and they have other players who were fun to watch. I do give SCU a ton of credit with respect to their non-conference schedule - Pac12, ACC, SEC. We will have a great measure of that team by the time it opens its conference schedule in October.

Very curious to watch everyone's observations of SCU as the season unfolds. I saw them play Oregon on Sunday. The score does not indicate it but Oregon outplayed SCU in the first half (not dominant but outplayed; a very long-range goal by SCU with about 28 seconds before halftime was the only goal). SCU was definitely more dominant in the 2d half but the goals were not the result of crisp passing, good build-up, etc. As I wrote separately to @SpeedK1llz , they collapse on any player who has the ball at the top of the box - and by "collapse", I mean that. It was effective but if a ref calls things tighter or if a team who plays them frequently anticipates (and attacks from the wing), I think they will concede some goals. Their super frosh (whom you SoCal folks know very well) was impressive with 2 goals and an assist and they have other players who were fun to watch. I do give SCU a ton of credit with respect to their non-conference schedule - Pac12, ACC, SEC. We will have a great measure of that team by the time it opens its conference schedule in October.

This weekend will be a good indication of where they are at. Duke and Wake Forest are decent but not outstanding teams. They are of the caliber of a Texas A&M but both play better soccer which will present even more of a challenge to them. Oregon is pretty bad to be honest so we will see a lot more this weekend.

I didn’t think SCU played as well as their game vs. Texas. Agree it was more even than the score indicated. I love their style of play when they’re firing on all pistons, but they definitely weren’t that game. Oregon looked decent and had a freshman that stood out.

This weekend will be a good indication of where they are at. Duke and Wake Forest are decent but not outstanding teams. They are of the caliber of a Texas A&M but both play better soccer which will present even more of a challenge to them. Oregon is pretty bad to be honest so we will see a lot more this weekend.

That's sort of my point - results over a large sample size can indicate something but results in a given game often indicate very little unless one is there to see the teams, see the goals, etc. Oregon did play well in the 1st half and while I wrote that SCU was dominant in the 2d half, it was not necessarily because of a beautiful, ball possession style. One would expect a Top 25 team to beat an unranked team by multiple goals (or it certainly is not surprising) but I'm looking at and for different things when I watch a game.

(I also watched Cal v Weber State last Thursday - can't conclude too much because Weber State was so overmatched but Cal did what it needed to do by sustaining possession through passing and ball control. That is something that will be a lot harder v strong competition (it always is) but it absolutely is what I want to see - at every level (even the younger youth levels) - with two unequal teams. That is not how SCU played in the (admittedly) small sample size of 1 game. I hope to see them play Cal on the 15th (as of now, no conflicts with my own kids' games))

I didn’t think SCU played as well as their game vs. Texas. Agree it was more even than the score indicated. I love their style of play when they’re firing on all pistons, but they definitely weren’t that game.

With all the bad soccer out there not sure this one in particular deserved all that, are you an Arkansas fan? I happened to catch this game too and didn't see it quite the same. Oklahoma ranked at 90 and Arkansas at 29 - either Oklahoma is much better than it's ranking or Arkansas is really bad. Did anyone see the UNC-Duke match?
No. No skin in this game at all. Just happened to be on so I watched. This match was probably indicative of many college soccer matches, but this was my observation. However, I do recall watching Arkansas last year and they played much better than what I saw this time.

That's sort of my point - results over a large sample size can indicate something but results in a given game often indicate very little unless one is there to see the teams, see the goals, etc. Oregon did play well in the 1st half and while I wrote that SCU was dominant in the 2d half, it was not necessarily because of a beautiful, ball possession style. One would expect a Top 25 team to beat an unranked team by multiple goals (or it certainly is not surprising) but I'm looking at and for different things when I watch a game.

(I also watched Cal v Weber State last Thursday - can't conclude too much because Weber State was so overmatched but Cal did what it needed to do by sustaining possession through passing and ball control. That is something that will be a lot harder v strong competition (it always is) but it absolutely is what I want to see - at every level (even the younger youth levels) - with two unequal teams. That is not how SCU played in the (admittedly) small sample size of 1 game. I hope to see them play Cal on the 15th (as of now, no conflicts with my own kids' games))

They are definitely going to have many significant tests well before they get to league. League play is going to seem like a vacation quite honestly.

No. No skin in this game at all. Just happened to be on so I watched. This match was probably indicative of many college soccer matches, but this was my observation. However, I do recall watching Arkansas last year and they played much better than what I saw this time.

Organized chaos is Arkansas' style of play.

Stats are great but the W is what gets you in the tournament and keeps your job. Not sure the AD cares about how good you look on pitch.

The best teams are not necessarily the most talented ones, but rather the ones that have players that can get the job done in the most critical moments.

Their problem is that they only have about 4 soccer players on their roster. The rest are just athletes and that is one of the reasons that he just does hockey style substitutions. Pinto and Russo are special. Otto and Fox are elite. Those four are their teams fulcrum. The rest are just really good athletes but basically just moving parts. Florida State is a much more technical and surgical team. Their depth took a big hit this year though and it might be tough for them to repeat with basically only 13-14 players that are ready for primetime. I like Virginia's offense but their defense is going to get them scored on a lot.
Totally agree. When a scholarshipped Lacrosse player is getting significant minutes because she can run, that should tell you something. Still, they are a level above Duke, who was surprisingly unthreatening.

Stats are great but the W is what gets you in the tournament and keeps your job. Not sure the AD cares about how good you look on pitch.

The best teams are not necessarily the most talented ones, but rather the ones that have players that can get the job done in the most critical moments.

I agree that the point is to win. They outshot Texas A&M and lost. My point is that against the schedule that they are playing, that shit won't fly as the Aggies showed them.

September 18th the Golden Spike that connected the transcontinental railroad will be back on display at it's home at Stanford University (Leland Stanford donated the spike as he was one of the robber barons that reaped RIDICULOUS profits off of the industrialization of America). Back in May was the 150th anniversary of the uniting of the Union Pacific and Central Pacific railroads.

I'm definitely going to check it out the next time I am up there in the middle of October.

Back