2019 Women's D1 Soccer Talk!!!!

The new Pepperdine keeper sent a message today.
The legacy continues.

I know, I know.
They could have scored a goal and won today, but damn.
The waves keeper took charge, and that was cool to see.

She was especially good on crosses....very strong....plus really nice young lady off the field...she spent some time with our u14 GK after the game. Made the little ones day. She has a big fan.

Did anyone else have to mute the UCLA/Long Beach State game? Was it just me or was that announcer annoying at first I thought it was a joke..
I thought it was a joke as well. He sounded like a mix of horse racing announcer and auctioneer. Unlistenable!! Really hope this was a one time guest appearance.

Do any of the schools in the Big West conference live stream their games?

UCSB streams most of their home games. I haven't watched any of those, but on the men's side they use the audio from a local radio broadcast, and the long-time announcer there is quite good.

UNC’s High Press is impressive!

Their problem is that they only have about 4 soccer players on their roster. The rest are just athletes and that is one of the reasons that he just does hockey style substitutions. Pinto and Russo are special. Otto and Fox are elite. Those four are their teams fulcrum. The rest are just really good athletes but basically just moving parts. Florida State is a much more technical and surgical team. Their depth took a big hit this year though and it might be tough for them to repeat with basically only 13-14 players that are ready for primetime. I like Virginia's offense but their defense is going to get them scored on a lot.

Conversely, I made the mistake of watching Arkansas v Oklahoma. Jesus.. what a shit show. Sorry if I sound like a soccer snob, but it was nothing but a ping pong game shitty field conditions notwithstanding.

https://bigwest.org/calendar.aspx?path=wsoc

Just look for the game that you are interested in. If it says video then there is a scheduled livestream. Sometimes they are added last minute so I would also check back on the week of the game that you are interested in. Long Beach State streamed the UCLA game.
When the Big West team is at a non-Big West away game, there may be video even though it is not listed on the WSOC sight. For instance Utah Valley has a YouTube channel and it is listing that they will stream the Sept. 2nd game.

Elite wcc doing well. BYU, Pepperdine and SC look like the teams to beat.

Pacific and SMC bringing the wcc RPI down with 2 losses to weak opponents. I suspect both coaches could be gone by Dec.

If Travis doesn't win his next game, I'm not sure he makes it to September. Seems like the new assist was some insurance.

Conversely, I made the mistake of watching Arkansas v Oklahoma. Jesus.. what a shit show. Sorry if I sound like a soccer snob, but it was nothing but a ping pong game shitty field conditions notwithstanding.

Unfortunately that is how a lot of D1 soccer is. Good athletes that happen to play soccer. You can tell when you are watching a soccer team. I was impressed this weekend with the number of teams that are trying to play soccer. The number is growing, however, there are only a handful that can consistently execute it. I only see one keeper that I have seen right now in college that is really good with her feet. That affects the ability of a team to play possession for sure.

You are not a soccer snob. You are just seeing the ugly truth of college soccer. There aren't nearly as many elite soccer players as one might think. The true advantage of the US system is the number of teams and thus players that consistently train. And the wide variety of styles that you see from week to week. It makes flexibility in gameplan a highly desired thing. Even the best teams have to adjust their tactics when an opponent is taking something away.

If you want to see some good soccer check out a certain game on the PAC 12 network at 5:30pm on Thursday. You will see some excellent soccer being played.

Unfortunately that is how a lot of D1 soccer is. Good athletes that happen to play soccer. You can tell when you are watching a soccer team. I was impressed this weekend with the number of teams that are trying to play soccer. The number is growing, however, there are only a handful that can consistently execute it. I only see one keeper that I have seen right now in college that is really good with her feet. That affects the ability of a team to play possession for sure.

You are not a soccer snob. You are just seeing the ugly truth of college soccer. There aren't nearly as many elite soccer players as one might think. The true advantage of the US system is the number of teams and thus players that consistently train. And the wide variety of styles that you see from week to week. It makes flexibility in gameplan a highly desired thing. Even the best teams have to adjust their tactics when an opponent is taking something away.

If you want to see some good soccer check out a certain game on the PAC 12 network at 5:30pm on Thursday. You will see some excellent soccer being played.
Oh I am acutely aware my friend. Just still a bit shocked that those two teams both couldn't string together 3 passes. I've seen a lot of that direct style in the college game and agree with your points. I also know your daughter's team is one of the few that effectively controls the game through possession and possession requires highly technical players. I'm also glad more teams are trying to execute that style. Looking forward to watching all the PAC 12 match ups when league starts.

If Travis doesn't win his next game, I'm not sure he makes it to September. Seems like the new assist was some insurance.

Agree on St Mary's. They have the coach in place to take over in the interim if things keeping going south.

UOP coach not far behind. She's on track to get fired at the end of they year. 2 losses for us against very bad opponents @ home! It doesn't get any easier for us with Davis coming to town and a road game vs. a Fresno State Sunday, a team that just came away with a tie to Oregon.

I never understood the hire as current coach has NEVER had a winning record in D1. She unfortunately is not the new AD's hire.

With all the bad soccer out there not sure this one in particular deserved all that, are you an Arkansas fan? I happened to catch this game too and didn't see it quite the same. Oklahoma ranked at 90 and Arkansas at 29 - either Oklahoma is much better than it's ranking or Arkansas is really bad. Did anyone see the UNC-Duke match?

Yes I saw it and Duke is not on North Carolina’s level at all. They seemed to be holding on for dear life the whole time. If not for excellent play by their keeper (who is a shot stopping machine) they would have lost 4-0.

If the WCC keeps having positive results vs. power conference they will get three teams in. Portland plays UNC, CAL and Oregon. It's important they get two positive results to strengthen the WCC RPI.

Are you sure about that? The only result of note from the WCC this weekend was a 0-0 tie vs. Texas A&M.

The anchors at the bottom of the conference will make it very difficult to get three teams in.

Back