2018 ODP West Schedule is out.

One of the ODP coaches seemed pretty concerned about the ODP and its lack of players due to DA and ECNL this year.

My experience is from 2009 thru 2014 of ODP (from about 6th grade until my player's junior year of high school). Things may be changing but it's because the parents are getting sold a bill of goods that isn't going to increase a kid's chance of going to a top school. All that is going to happen is that you are going to have more robotic players who can't adjust to different styles of coaching and they are going to miss out on a lot of experience that is excellent at preparing players for the next level. My player's ODP team from her junior year could be most D1 colleges. There isn't one GDA team in the country that wouldn't be mauled by the top half of D1. I will bet anything that the numbers of players receiving scholarships won't change (it will be within one standard deviation of the mean of the last 10 years). I will bet that the same number of players transfer due to bad fit. I am confident that things with GDA and their mandates are going to change in some way, shape or form.

I know that if my player were an '05, like the daughter of one of my good friends, she would play for the same clubs that she played and for the same coaches and would do the same ODP camps. Hindsight is 20/20 and her determination, her coach and her parents were the keys to her development. Not US Soccer mandates or 4 days a week of team training. Her college team doesn't train 4 days a week and they were the NCAA runner up. This crapola coming from US Soccer and the clubs isn't necessary.

My experience is from 2009 thru 2014 of ODP (from about 6th grade until my player's junior year of high school). Things may be changing but it's because the parents are getting sold a bill of goods that isn't going to increase a kid's chance of going to a top school. All that is going to happen is that you are going to have more robotic players who can't adjust to different styles of coaching and they are going to miss out on a lot of experience that is excellent at preparing players for the next level. My player's ODP team from her junior year could be most D1 colleges. There isn't one GDA team in the country that wouldn't be mauled by the top half of D1. I will bet anything that the numbers of players receiving scholarships won't change (it will be within one standard deviation of the mean of the last 10 years). I will bet that the same number of players transfer due to bad fit. I am confident that things with GDA and their mandates are going to change in some way, shape or form.

I know that if my player were an '05, like the daughter of one of my good friends, she would play for the same clubs that she played and for the same coaches and would do the same ODP camps. Hindsight is 20/20 and her determination, her coach and her parents were the keys to her development. Not US Soccer mandates or 4 days a week of team training. Her college team doesn't train 4 days a week and they were the NCAA runner up. This crapola coming from US Soccer and the clubs isn't necessary.
Do you think there is more visibility with DA and ECNL than regular clubs?

I agree MAP. But in our case my kids’ club became DA. For us DA is the same club and coaches, and to avoid DA we have to leave the club and commute or play down on the second team.
I can say that US soccer directly scouts DA teams. At games and practices occasionally.

DA is great but there are many kids in geographical areas where there are no DA options. Many of these kids are DA quality but no option for DA unless their family moves or they are sent from their family to a DA where they have connections like aunts and uncles to live with. ECNL is a good option too but again there are areas based on travel time to training, travel to play schedule or whatever where parents just do not find it feasible to maintain that level. So ODP can be an option more on the girls side I am sure. I do know a few boys who were seen at the Region Championships in FL that helped them to the next level. DA is great but misses, ECNL is great but misses, ODP is dying. What are the options? Do what you think is best for your child.

DA is great but there are many kids in geographical areas where there are no DA options. Many of these kids are DA quality but no option for DA unless their family moves or they are sent from their family to a DA where they have connections like aunts and uncles to live with. ECNL is a good option too but again there are areas based on travel time to training, travel to play schedule or whatever where parents just do not find it feasible to maintain that level. So ODP can be an option more on the girls side I am sure. I do know a few boys who were seen at the Region Championships in FL that helped them to the next level. DA is great but misses, ECNL is great but misses, ODP is dying. What are the options? Do what you think is best for your child.
Any exposure is good exposure, you never know, one of the ODP coaches just may take a liking to your kid.

My point is that the scouts are not doing their job. No kids that are playing DA should be on this list because they are not eligible for ODP and yet the bulk of the players listed are playing DA.

Regarding the costs, everyone that has a child that plays with a Calsouth players card is funding this program. If you did not realize it, part of the fee to play rec or competitive soccer goes to fund Calsouth and their programs including ODP. I for one don't mind that some of my money goes to the ODP program so that our region can prove that we are #1 but I do mind paying for scouts that are not doing their job. Gosh the least they can do is make sure everyone on the list is still playing soccer.
Scouts that's funny. Your coach recommends the players to the ODP. THERE IS A LOT OF FAVORITISM.

Scouts that's funny. Your coach recommends the players to the ODP. THERE IS A LOT OF FAVORITISM.
@jdiaz I have to disagree on two fronts.
First, its not a waste of money ... $100 to $200 bucks to get the ODP badge on the kids resume is worth its weight and opens college doors. ODP in SoCal may be a bit diluted, but ODP SoCal teams will still beat 90% of the rest of the west region because we are very, very deep in talent here. In 2016, Cal South was named champion in 5 of the 10 groups. Many kids with DA potential won't go because of the rules or requirements. They will stay in NPL, Premier/Flight 1/ECNL and get an ODP invitation now and then.

Second, the ODP scouts will be at National Cup in full force. They have their list that is recommended by the various clubs/coaches, but are sitting on the sidelines and watching for players that stand out.

And then, you have studs, like Hailie Mace. Two sports gal who wanted to play with friends, but alas, a "nobody", according to knowledge folks who just know how things work and can ID talent. You know, folks who's judgement you can trust, like DOC, coaches, parents, especially
on this forum.
Hey big mama Bruin, Wendy Mace, if you are reading this, you done good. Thank you for fighting the good fight.

Girls ODP I don't know. But the boys it's about money and favorites. Weather you want to believe it or not the coaches are asked to refer kids to ODP. If you look at the regions they almost same kids recycle 2 to 4 players for better players. And they train the kids for ODP then select the kids. Most of the region's are sponsored by MLS team . Who sponsors ODP in california?

Nothing could keep me from being there with my 13 year old daughter. Separating adolescent girls from their parents? What’s the point of that?
I was pointing out that from what I understand per DA was hotel stay for players and parents is to be separate. I didnot say I approved or disagreed.

Last edited:
I was pointing out that from what I understand per DA was hotel stay for players and parents is to be separate. I didnot say I approved or disagreed.
Right. Understood. I was just stating my position on the fact you stated. Not objecting to anything you said.

Girls ODP I don't know. But the boys it's about money and favorites. Weather you want to believe it or not the coaches are asked to refer kids to ODP. If you look at the regions they almost same kids recycle 2 to 4 players for better players. And they train the kids for ODP then select the kids. Most of the region's are sponsored by MLS team . Who sponsors ODP in california?
There will always be enough top quality players to have a great team. 98% of the top players are not playing DA and will not for all the reasons already identified. The problem is that scouts will not bother to look at lower level teams for a gem. And Mace is a great example of a player that got no respect. I am sure her coach recommended her to ODP but the scouts probably did not want to waste their time on a low level game. For everyone that has seen scouts at games, I bet your team is a top 25 team in Socal or your coach is somehow connected to the ODP coaches or scouts. Or at the very least, you're in a Nike club. Don't believe me, look at the clubs the players come from.

Nothing could keep me from being there with my 13 year old daughter. Separating adolescent girls from their parents? What’s the point of that?

You may be a decent and appropriate parent but I have seen much of the opposite. Parents can be an interference, badgering their DD to tears because she didn't perform the way the parent thought she should or trying to coach their DD leading to confusion on the field. It is a distraction and is disruptive. Your DD needs to be focused on the team and coaching instruction. It is not a regular tournament or family vacation. There is no reason to stay at the hotel as your DD is involved in team activities and itinerary the whole time.

If your DD gets a call up to a YNT camp will you be staying with her then as well and will you be traveling to international matches if she gets selected for a YNT roster? The coaches and you need to see how your DD handles this type of environment to see if she is mature enough and able to handle that higher level environment.

You may be a decent and appropriate parent but I have seen much of the opposite. Parents can be an interference, badgering their DD to tears because she didn't perform the way the parent thought she should or trying to coach their DD leading to confusion on the field. It is a distraction and is disruptive. Your DD needs to be focused on the team and coaching instruction. It is not a regular tournament or family vacation. There is no reason to stay at the hotel as your DD is involved in team activities and itinerary the whole time.

If your DD gets a call up to a YNT camp will you be staying with her then as well and will you be traveling to international matches if she gets selected for a YNT roster? The coaches and you need to see how your DD handles this type of environment to see if she is mature enough and able to handle that higher level environment.
That would be great if the kid was in her late teens. A lot of these kids are 13, yes 13! Far too young to be with almost complete strangers and away from parents, IMO. I'd agree with you if they kids were older.

Back