2018 ODP West Schedule is out.

You don’t pay the camp fees if your daughter makes it. It’s obvious you’re hasn't or you would know that. My point was the $100-$125 cost is nominal for what you get in return. Is this really that difficult to comprehend?
Smart ass. When they invite the pool of players you pay $100 . Right or wrong. Then if your picked. They want you to attend the camps that are how much smart are. Next when your picked to play against you pay for travel cost. Not everything is free. The other regions that have POP take it serious. And have sponsors to take up the cost for the kids. That' how much you know.

You don’t pay the camp fees if your daughter makes it. It’s obvious you’re hasn't or you would know that. My point was the $100-$125 cost is nominal for what you get in return. Is this really that difficult to comprehend?
The only thing that's great is the gear that nike gives them for free. The training the boys get is garbage for $100-125.

There is no training. Invite as many that may legitimately show up. Let them scrimmage together, and then collect the $125 for the 40 -50 extras. Money grab.

I don't naively or blindly trust any coach that's why I taught my DD to be strong, independent, and assertive. She knows how to recognize trouble and is not vulnerable to the wrong type of attention. She also knows how to take steps to be safe and speak up when someone is out of line. It is very clear to others that I am watching and that action will be taken if someone crosses a line. I don't need to be a helicopter parent that teaches my DD to be weak. If I thought the situation was unsafe she wouldn't be participating in the first place.
I never stated that I would put my child in what I believe to be compromising situation. This isn't for the sake of soccer, events like these happen in the doctors office, schools, anywhere . Honestly, nothing is safe . If I live with that constant thought , my 13 year old would be locked away in a tower . When she does travel , I'm nearby. And she travels A LOT.
I’m sure you know that a minor child is never allowed to be in a room with a doctor without a parent or a nurse present.

And to you and the other posters who have suggested that staying in hotel is no different than a sleepover or other events at school, I don’t think you are really seeing the issue clearly. There are so many more variables in hotel that you cannot control. I think because we are all normal well-adjusted people that are not pathological or evil, we find it hard to imagine the lengths that these people will go to to get access to kids. We worry about it when we need to but they spend much of their time thinking about ways to get close to kids. These guys are incredibly manipulative. Sometimes they charm the parent to gain trust and sometimes, when the relationship with the parent is shaky, they work on the child directly.

I agree with the posters who say that a close relationship with your child, teaching your child to trust their gut, to speak up immediately when something doesn’t feel right and to never ever be alone in a room somewhere with an adult that isn’t their family member is the best defense but please remember we are talking about 13-year-old girls. The adults in question are respected. The girls take direction from these coaches trainers etc. on an ongoing basis and they’re in a position of having to impress and gain approval from them. All it takes is one incident where a kid doesn’t say no quickly enough and then they can be convinced that they are now a participant, they’re part of a secret and they have something to lose from telling someone.

Sorry for my long post.

I’m sure you know that a minor child is never allowed to be in a room with a doctor without a parent or a nurse present.

And to you and the other posters who have suggested that staying in hotel is no different than a sleepover or other events at school, I don’t think you are really seeing the issue clearly. There are so many more variables in hotel that you cannot control. I think because we are all normal well-adjusted people that are not pathological or evil, we find it hard to imagine the lengths that these people will go to to get access to kids. We worry about it when we need to but they spend much of their time thinking about ways to get close to kids. These guys are incredibly manipulative. Sometimes they charm the parent to gain trust and sometimes, when the relationship with the parent is shaky, they work on the child directly.

I agree with the posters who say that a close relationship with your child, teaching your child to trust their gut, to speak up immediately when something doesn’t feel right and to never ever be alone in a room somewhere with an adult that isn’t their family member is the best defense but please remember we are talking about 13-year-old girls. The adults in question are respected. The girls take direction from these coaches trainers etc. on an ongoing basis and they’re in a position of having to impress and gain approval from them. All it takes is one incident where a kid doesn’t say no quickly enough and then they can be convinced that they are now a participant, they’re part of a secret and they have something to lose from telling someone.

Sorry for my long post.
I agree, all it takes is one poor decisions and a few minutes and the young lady life is changed forever.
It happened at our church. The parents let their daughter go with an old guy that had been around the church for years.

/QUOTE].

Sorry for my long post.

Again it all starts with conversations at home. My minor child has never been alone with a doctor or a nurse alone. Hell she doesn't even go to the restroom at practice alone. The girls go in groups. Not the parents. I have taught my DD to trust her gut and to never go anywhere alone, and most importantly be aware of your surroundings. A lesson that's served my college aged children well when they attend parties or walk around campus.

As you have stated, these individuals will go out of their way to gain the parents' trust and to manipulate the situation. Which goes back to the point, a parent being there isn't necessarily going to stop the intentions of these sick individuals. I've done my best to teach the signs of creepy to the best of my ability. It's a sick world, and unfortunately to many of our DD's are prey.

Mace did not play with the Eagles until her senior year and while she was known when she committed, she was not known until her mom sent a video to UCLA and the coach came down to watch her play. I believe it was her junior year and the Nomads Thanksgiving tournament with low level teams. I might be confusing this with another player, but she was not know and had never made ODP which shows you that the scouts are not doing their job.

She played for Threesixty... he hasn't posted since the Forum crashed.

Last year, they issued a press release right after the rosters were finalized. Don't know why they haven't issued a press release as of yet.

Sorry for my long post.
I am sure all the girls on the US gymnastics team trusted the "team" doctor and coaches as did the parents. And how many years did abuse go on for these young women?

I agree...DA is changing and will continue change ODP if not make it obsolete. DA and NTC are the new pathways. But it’s still a nice chance to play with different kids until DA or for those that opt not to do DA.

One team i know had 3 kids leave for DA team and come back to ODP with parents complaining kids regressing. Some ODP age groups, regionally, have had seen more kids go to D1 schools then DA teams in the region. Depends on coaching. If ussf put some $ into ODP we'd be better off. No reason not to have both ODP and DA. DA puts the restrictions and control is the main reason.Problem is USSF tends to only like things that make them money and try to get rid of things they have to invest in. So focus is on DA but ODP still produces some talent. Part of the problem is parents drinking the DA Is the End All Koolaid. ODP should get some influx of money but probably wont happen unless something changes on ussf admin side.

One of the ODP coaches seemed pretty concerned about the ODP and its lack of players due to DA and ECNL this year.

Odp coaches i know dont worry about DA. They get the best talent they can find and coach. As mentioned, many have gone DA only to return. Also some players double dipped - dont know about this years rules about playing DA and ODP. Bad ODP coaches as well, but tend to be solid for the most part. At least in this region

While I do agree that was in the past, and it will be different moving forward, I don't agree at all with your 98% number. There are and will be plenty of good players not playing DA. There will certainly be some ECNL players that could but choose not to play DA, some good non-DA/ECNL club players that choose not to travel to play DA or prefer to play locally with classmates/friends (SDSC 03 a good example). And if it continues, ODP will still be a regional all-star team of sorts. Probably not on the level of what @MAP describes with future UCLA/Stanford/UNC and YNT players, but still good quality.
Those schools still scouting odp and some taking those kids. Those sayimg otherwise are probably selling another product. Its a solid option for kids and parents

Odp coaches i know dont worry about DA. They get the best talent they can find and coach. As mentioned, many have gone DA only to return. Also some players double dipped - dont know about this years rules about playing DA and ODP. Bad ODP coaches as well, but tend to be solid for the most part. At least in this region

What region is your region?

This is the 1st year for girls DA so it will definitely have an affect, but still a good route.

Back