2017-2018 D1 Women's Soccer Talk!

This is one of the reasons (outside of the outstanding academic reputations in the conference) that we were pleased that our daughter chose to go to a PAC 12 school. The Big Ten is also a very forward thinking conference and they usually do things in lock step with the PAC 12.

And all this time I assumed that your daughter's parents were wealthy enough that she didn't need a scholarship, especially not for in-state UC costs.

And all this time I assumed that your daughter's parents were wealthy enough that she didn't need a scholarship, especially not for in-state UC costs.

Our ability to pay has nothing to do with whether our player deserves a scholarship. I already spent my $31k on club soccer. I have already more than recouped what I spent. By the way in state tuiton, fees, books, materials, room and board at my kid's school is $30k a year out the door. Quite a bit more than what you paid for your kids. Why wouldn't I let my kid's talent and hard work foot the bill? One of my best friends in college had the same football scholarship that I had and his folks lived next to Will Smith. Should he have turned it down? My best friend was on the same scholarship that I was on and his dad was CEO of Matson Shipping. Should he have turned it down?

You are kooky some times and definitely a dilettante.

Our ability to pay has nothing to do with whether our player deserves a scholarship. I already spent my $31k on club soccer. I have already more than recouped what I spent. By the way in state tuiton, fees, books, materials, room and board at my kid's school is $30k a year out the door. Quite a bit more than what you paid for your kids. Why wouldn't I let my kid's talent and hard work foot the bill? One of my best friends in college had the same football scholarship that I had and his folks lived next to Will Smith. Should he have turned it down? My best friend was on the same scholarship that I was on and his dad was CEO of Matson Shipping. Should he have turned it down?

You are kooky some times and definitely a dilettante.

My kids went to UC Davis, one on soccer scholarship (I paid for his room and meals for two years, then he took that on himself) and the other on a combination of parental, academic, loan and work money.

They were asked to leave the team but are still taking up scholarships. I have heard most of them are staying at ASU so those scholarships won't be freed up. Also heard that they have 12 - 14 new players coming in from various places (international, JUCO and freshman) even though TD shows seven.
They were asked to leave? Ouch. I only know of 1 leaving and she is a great player. There must be something else going on I assume.

They were asked to leave the team but are still taking up scholarships. I have heard most of them are staying at ASU so those scholarships won't be freed up. Also heard that they have 12 - 14 new players coming in from various places (international, JUCO and freshman) even though TD shows seven.
Very true, if the coach kicks them off the team, but the players want to remain at the school. Then he can NOT pull their athletic ship money as long as the player entered the program the fall of 2016 as a freshmen.

If the player transferred and decides to leave the money behind then the money is freed. I heard the new ASU coach is an ass.

Very true, if the coach kicks them off the team, but the players want to remain at the school. Then he can NOT pull their athletic ship money as long as the player entered the program the fall of 2016 as a freshmen.

If the player transferred and decides to leave the money behind then the money is freed. I heard the new ASU coach is an ass.
I've talked with him several times and he is not an ass at all. He wants to win and play possession soccer, change the culture at ASU. He wants to get better players to play a better style, which I'm sure doesn't sit well with some people that may be in the middle of the situation. He is definitely driven to win.

From talking with other coach's there may be a better way to push players out to free up scholarships, he has chosen a different path.

This might explain why the player left LOL

I've talked with him several times and he is not an ass at all. He wants to win and play possession soccer, change the culture at ASU. He wants to get better players to play a better style, which I'm sure doesn't sit well with some people that may be in the middle of the situation. He is definitely driven to win.

From talking with other coach's there may be a better way to push players out to free up scholarships, he has chosen a different path.
He isn’t going to beat UCLA and Stanford playing possession, because he will never get the top YNT players. I would question if he is selling possession style of play, because isn’t he from England? Also, having money tied to players who he kicked off the team isn’t going to help any either. Not to mention ASU is NOT a top academic school.

Lastly, the class of 2018 (this fall) the majority are not his recruits, so is he also going to kick them off after a year and tie up more athletic money in the process.

Last edited:
I've heard the same. Some may ask what qualifies as an "ass"???

Answer: A coach who burns a kids fresh redshirt year by having her play for 2min, purposely redlining her ability transfer.

Maybe there's more to this.....but I've heard from multiple fam's that the dude is less than stellar (that's being PC).

He doesn't sound much different than Jim Harbaugh when he came to Michigan. I bet there are some Michigan fam's that have similar sentiments. http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-harbaugh-michigan-recruiting-20160122-column.html

What about honoring the University's commitment to the players? They are never going to outrecruit the California schools so who is going to replace them with? I just think that it is a terrible example to set to "force" kids to leave. My player's coach inherited another coach's recruits and proceeded to win a national title with them. The last group of players that weren't recruited by the coach just graduated and because they were committed to the program she was committed to the players. She even started all of them in the last regular season game (a game that mattered not only because it was against their rivals but it helped determine tournament seeding!) and most of them played at least half of it!

There are right ways to do things and wrong ways to do them. This guy is doing it the wrong way. He is dooming his program because with that kind of loyalty he will never get the truly elite players from anywhere other than Arizona and most of them are trying to get out of Arizona.

Answer: A coach who burns a kids fresh redshirt year by having her play for 2min, purposely redlining her ability transfer.

Maybe there's more to this.....but I've heard from multiple fam's that the dude is less than stellar (that's being PC).
We must be hearing it from the same grapevine which is coming from the players mouths.

What about honoring the University's commitment to the players? They are never going to outrecruit the California schools so who is going to replace them with? I just think that it is a terrible example to set to "force" kids to leave. My player's coach inherited another coach's recruits and proceeded to win a national title with them. The last group of players that weren't recruited by the coach just graduated and because they were committed to the program she was committed to the players. She even started all of them in the last regular season game (a game that mattered not only because it was against their rivals but it helped determine tournament seeding!) and most of them played at least half of it!

There are right ways to do things and wrong ways to do them. This guy is doing it the wrong way. He is dooming his program because with that kind of loyalty he will never get the truly elite players from anywhere other than Arizona and most of them are trying to get out of Arizona.
Keidane at USC also inherited an underacheiving team who weren’t his recruits and got them into the tourney his 1st year there.

My kids went to UC Davis, one on soccer scholarship (I paid for his room and meals for two years, then he took that on himself) and the other on a combination of parental, academic, loan and work money.

It sounds like your son was a super motivated and well balanced individual so congrats. My kid only gets to work during the summer and at the soccer camps. She has a busy enough schedule between school, her college team and national team commitments. That is her focus. She has the rest of her life to work. Right now she needs to win a natty, get accepted into her major program and get ready for the MCAT.

Oh and winning the CONCACAAF championship would be nice. My spouse wants to go to France.

I was hoping the one that had 0 minutes but listed as playing 1 game got hurt and not that the coach wasn't playing her. If this is the player you reference WOW that coach IS an overqualified "ass"

Waldron takes the Pitt job. They had to throw a ton of dough at that. Great guy great hire. Can he bring Pitt back from the depths of hell?

Back