2016-17 D1 Women's soccer thread!!!

OK then, fire in the hole....I know US News and World Reports rankings are not just an academic ranking. It is an overall ranking, and I am sure that you will disparage my findings by vilifying some aspect of their ranking criteria...however, they are objective. You and I are not.

Average ranking of Pac12 schools in the US News & World Report 2017 rankings: 81
Average ranking of ACC schools in the US News & World Report 2017 rankings: 55

Your statement that the Pac12 is only 2nd to the Ivy League is woefully incorrect. Take off the west coast sunglasses to see the truth.

Not enough? Money Magazine is another objective source: Average rank for a Pac12 institution, 147. Average for an ACC school, 143.

Lastly, my favorite college ranking site, http://colleges.startclass.com/, has the following average rankings...
Pac12: 197
ACC: 91

If you want to compare conferences, you are walking in quick sand carrying an anvil.

Ha pretty funny but I can do that too.

http://www.languagemonitor.com/top-...emic-reputation-after-conference-realignment/

https://www.timeshighereducation.co...ing-world-universities-2016-results-announced

So Notre Dame is the difference maker for the ACC (aren't they independant) and if you remove them the conference drops significantly. Let's dig a little deeper. All 4 Pac 12 teams in California are in the top 25. NC State is like 194th. If you look globally (thus the Shanghai rankings) it isn't even close. Also you probably didn't realize the the Start Class rankings are such that the higher the score the better so you unwittingly helped make my point.

Let's uses some common sense here. If your daughter had been offered a scholarship to a Pac 12 school versus a bottom feeding ACC school with zero West Coast street cred would she have taken it? I bet if Cal or Stanford had come calling you would have wet yourself and begged Mr. Hodges to do all that he could do to help her. Mine was recruited by all of the top ACC schools and she didn't even consider any of them and that includes Notre Dame, North Carolina and Duke.

Now since we are talking athletics their really is no comparison. You can take all of the national championships for all of the ACC conference and they are not much more than the total for the third best team in the Pac 12. If you take away UNC's 21 women's soccer championships then there are 3 schools with more national titles than the whole conference. And since we are talking women's soccer this decade the ACC and Pac 12 are even on national titles and if recruiting is a sign then this could be the first full decade that the ACC doesn't sit at the top of the hill.

This anvil doesn't feel that heavy and it feels more like I am ice skating.

Good luck to your daughter.

Ha pretty funny but I can do that too.

http://www.languagemonitor.com/top-...emic-reputation-after-conference-realignment/

https://www.timeshighereducation.co...ing-world-universities-2016-results-announced

So Notre Dame is the difference maker for the ACC (aren't they independant) and if you remove them the conference drops significantly. Let's dig a little deeper. All 4 Pac 12 teams in California are in the top 25. NC State is like 194th. If you look globally (thus the Shanghai rankings) it isn't even close. Also you probably didn't realize the the Start Class rankings are such that the higher the score the better so you unwittingly helped make my point.

Let's uses some common sense here. If your daughter had been offered a scholarship to a Pac 12 school versus a bottom feeding ACC school with zero West Coast street cred would she have taken it? I bet if Cal or Stanford had come calling you would have wet yourself and begged Mr. Hodges to do all that he could do to help her. Mine was recruited by all of the top ACC schools and she didn't even consider any of them and that includes Notre Dame, North Carolina and Duke.

Now since we are talking athletics their really is no comparison. You can take all of the national championships for all of the ACC conference and they are not much more than the total for the third best team in the Pac 12. If you take away UNC's 21 women's soccer championships then there are 3 schools with more national titles than the whole conference. And since we are talking women's soccer this decade the ACC and Pac 12 are even on national titles and if recruiting is a sign then this could be the first full decade that the ACC doesn't sit at the top of the hill.

This anvil doesn't feel that heavy and it feels more like I am ice skating.

Good luck to your daughter.
Boy oh boy...you sure showed me with your Global World Language Monitor ranking! How far down did you have to dig that one up? And that Shanghai ranking is just as relevant too. Come back with real rankings rather than some far-fetched, desperate google search type of results. That ice is pretty thin.

And you sure do alot of "if you remove this school" or "take away this and the results look more favorable". My stats are provided are provided by well known sources that are trusted by millions of Americans. In a conference vs. conference comparison, the ACC wins hands down.

As for hypotheticals about where my kid would have gone, I know for a FACT that she would not have gone to a school in California. Her main goal was to play out of state and away from home...probably to get away from her overbearing father. She was recruited by some very strong academic D3's but she said she also wanted to play D1 soccer. Realistically, she is not a game changing stud but a very controlled and technical midfielder. She is perfectly at home with the Wolfpack, and their academic program. Plus, being close to the east coast population centers, it bodes well for her to find internships and employment post graduation in her political policy/science field of study. As for the athletics, we hoped for better non-conference results and a couple of conference wins in the 2016 season, and it is working out well. Thanks for the well wishes...I will pass it on to my player.

Lastly, my favorite college ranking site, http://colleges.startclass.com/, has the following average rankings...

The results of your favorite looks a bit suspect, like Rollin the 8ball (I ain't talkin bout the narcotic):confused:

0936e5f4ae8fcd4542edfbb865a3e885.jpg

Last edited:
Boy oh boy...you sure showed me with your Global World Language Monitor ranking! How far down did you have to dig that one up? And that Shanghai ranking is just as relevant too. Come back with real rankings rather than some far-fetched, desperate google search type of results. That ice is pretty thin.

And you sure do alot of "if you remove this school" or "take away this and the results look more favorable". My stats are provided are provided by well known sources that are trusted by millions of Americans. In a conference vs. conference comparison, the ACC wins hands down.

As for hypotheticals about where my kid would have gone, I know for a FACT that she would not have gone to a school in California. Her main goal was to play out of state and away from home...probably to get away from her overbearing father. She was recruited by some very strong academic D3's but she said she also wanted to play D1 soccer. Realistically, she is not a game changing stud but a very controlled and technical midfielder. She is perfectly at home with the Wolfpack, and their academic program. Plus, being close to the east coast population centers, it bodes well for her to find internships and employment post graduation in her political policy/science field of study. As for the athletics, we hoped for better non-conference results and a couple of conference wins in the 2016 season, and it is working out well. Thanks for the well wishes...I will pass it on to my player.

So what you are saying is if let's say Stanford, Cal, UCLA or USC offered your daughter a scholarship she would have said, "No thanks I want to play in Oregon or New Mexico or North Carolina? So t he connections in let's say the Bay Area or SoCal aren't world class? Come on Cali. I can make stuff up too (like the quickly googled info that both of us pulled up). That simply doesn't pass the sniff test just like all of your ECNL bashing after being such a champion of ECNL when your little Mia played for the Strikers.

Your favorite ranking site says otherwise but if you in your heart of hearts think that the ACC is such a badass academic conference then good luck to you with that. Let's hope she likes the weather because I spent some of my youth in North Carolina and it is the least sucky place in the South but it still sucks. If mine were to go to the East Coast it would be to an Ivy league school.

So what you are saying is if let's say Stanford, Cal, UCLA or USC offered your daughter a scholarship she would have said, "No thanks I want to play in Oregon or New Mexico or North Carolina?

Yes, if it was Princeton, or Duke, or UVA, or Notre Dame, she most certainly would have said No Thanks.

Yes, if it was Princeton, or Duke, or UVA, or Notre Dame, she most certainly would have said No Thanks.

Okay Princeton is in the Ivy League so that isn't the question. Notre Dame is in the Midwest and is the best of all of the ACC schools. Outside of that unfortunately you would lose in pretty much every instance.

No worries we can talk hypotheticals all we want to. My sources tell me a different tale. Time will tell.

Geez Louise...you guys really need to take some Xanax. A traditionally underperforming team takes out a traditionally good team, and it upsets your whole world. I wasn't saying anything about the rest of the season, or the past...I was just thrilled that one of my favorite teams won. In the previous forum, you chose to admonish the Wolfpack, my daughter's school of choice. Now that they have a little success, you are quick to put them down once again. It is very difficult to go from the bottom of the table to the top, especially in the ACC. When you're bad, you have to get to good before you can get to great. Just as UCLA has a tough schedule, so does NC State. Of the 10 best teams in the country, 4 play in the ACC. How many are in the Pac12? 1. So why not let the Wolfpack ladies (and their recruits) enjoy some success...because it is a very long and arduous road to get over .500 in one of the toughest conferences in the country. You were the ones saying that it was unlikely the coach wouldn't be there when my daughter arrived.

It will be a successful season if they can pick off one or two more of their remaining conference games. Many of their key performers are freshman, along with their 2 German imports. We are just hoping for a better season than last year (already has happened), and then continual improvement in 2017. We'll see.
You were the one that posted how did UCLA do against NC State last week, not me!

Difference between you and I, when my DD's school did well last year. You didn't see me bragging or poking fun. Like I posted, know your role and shut your mouth.

OK then, fire in the hole....I know US News and World Reports rankings are not just an academic ranking. It is an overall ranking, and I am sure that you will disparage my findings by vilifying some aspect of their ranking criteria...however, they are objective. You and I are not.

Average ranking of Pac12 schools in the US News & World Report 2017 rankings: 81
Average ranking of ACC schools in the US News & World Report 2017 rankings: 55

Your statement that the Pac12 is only 2nd to the Ivy League is woefully incorrect. Take off the west coast sunglasses to see the truth.

Not enough? Money Magazine is another objective source: Average rank for a Pac12 institution, 147. Average for an ACC school, 143.

Pac12: 197
ACC: 91

If you want to compare conferences, you are walking in quick sand carrying an anvil.
Why take a conference average? Do academic ranking by University, none of this average crap.

You were the one that posted how did UCLA do against NC State last week, not me!

Difference between you and I, when my DD's school did well last year. You didn't see me bragging or poking fun. Like I posted, know your role and shut your mouth.
Not to brag, but my DD's school is ranked in the top 10 in college football!

The best forward not playing on the USNT is Lynn Williams.
She may be the best of all.

Sat in the bleachers at Drake stadium for round of 16 playoff game between Pepperdine and UCLA a couple of years ago (the year after UCLA's naty) and it was like one of those AYSO games where you have one stud v. the other team. She was easily the best player on the field and almost single handedly beat UCLA. And this was a UCLA team with three or four first round picks, including Mewis. I said to myself then that I couldn't imagine anyone in the country as talented as her.

Sat in the bleachers at Drake stadium for round of 16 playoff game between Pepperdine and UCLA a couple of years ago (the year after UCLA's naty) and it was like one of those AYSO games where you have one stud v. the other team. She was easily the best player on the field and almost single handedly beat UCLA. And this was a UCLA team with three or four first round picks, including Mewis. I said to myself then that I couldn't imagine anyone in the country as talented as her.
I was there as well.
She is an absolute beast. (Since she's a woman, she's a beautiful beast)

Umm you know Mewis is on the WNT don't you?

Umm you know Mewis is on the WNT don't you?
Exactly.
Mewis absolutely earned her way onto that squad with her play.
Williams just bides her time.
I have to think, if the USA didnt have such a deep pool, and was getting beat on a regular basis, they would break the glass and call on her super human soccer abilities. Even if she didnt play for one of the "feeder" programs.

Exactly.
Mewis absolutely earned her way onto that squad with her play.
Williams just bides her time.
I have to think, if the USA didnt have such a deep pool, and was getting beat on a regular basis, they would break the glass and call on her super human soccer abilities. Even if she didnt play for one of the "feeder" programs.

Hey I don't disagree. I still can't figure out why Crystal Dunn isn't the focus of the offense and why JJ isn't playing a different position. All I can do is cheer and hope they win in spite of "executive" decisions.

Anyone hitting the UCLA/ASU Game Tomorrow night?

Forks Up!

It should be an interesting game. It was a draw last year. Both teams have some significant differences so it will be interesting to see what happens. Any predictions Juve? By the way congrats to your daughter. Boyd is a good coach and really put Cal on the map.

It should be an interesting game. It was a draw last year. Both teams have some significant differences so it will be interesting to see what happens. Any predictions Juve? By the way congrats to your daughter. Boyd is a good coach and really put Cal on the map.
Should be a good match. After their match with CSUF I think ASU is ready for Conference play. They played a fairly weak preseason but that's ok because they are fairly young. Should be a fun match. Not sure if ASU has quite enough yet. But I like their recruiting classes so far. DD's old teammate just Committed last week to the Devils. Trying to rally a couple of others that I think would help.

Back