2016-17 D1 Women's soccer thread!!!

Once again Neil's Cal squad chokes on the kryptonite that is the WCC. And to add insult to injury, they lose to the perennial bottom dweller St. Mary's.
This was a shocker, but like I said before, week to week, women's college soccer can be very good, or very bad, with the same teams going Jekyll and Hyde.
The really consistent teams like Virginia and Stanford are the exceptions.

This was a shocker, but like I said before, week to week, women's college soccer can be very good, or very bad, with the same teams going Jekyll and Hyde.
The really consistent teams like Virginia and Stanford are the exceptions.
We've talked about the parity in women's soccer for a couple of years now.
It's tougher and tougher with all the talent available to dominate every game.
So called mid level teams have the talent to knock off a top tier on any given game day.
Certain final scores maybe shocking, but they are not unusual.
Good luck!

I like 'SC and more importantly the PAC 12 so I look forward to the consistency that a stable lineup will bring. I do like Petredes and liked her as a club player too and she will definitely help. The 3 mid majors they played are a far cry from the extremely talented and seasoned teams that are who they need to be measuring themselves against. We will see next weekend against a talented but inconsistent North Carolina team.
After the demolition of UNC today I'd say the backline is pretty set? Realistically s/b 5-0 could have been worse. That is 5 consecutive clean sheets since the adjustment and even more dominating play since Auburn when KM was moved to DM.

After the demolition of UNC today I'd say the backline is pretty set? Realistically s/b 5-0 could have been worse. That is 5 consecutive clean sheets since the adjustment and even more dominating play since Auburn when KM was moved to DM.

Like I said, backline was the best part of USC. But the reality is that none of the teams USC has played thus far can be considered elite. UNC got pummeled by Duke who did everything but score (see box score), and needed OT to beat a modest Florida Atlantic side in Boca Raton. Nonetheless, the scoresheets are racking up and they are finding rhythm, and winning at GA and AU is not easy, neither is beating UNC. Now I see the SDSU transfer is cleared, which should help a lot.

The SoCal college teams are making this season exciting to follow. USC, UCLA, LBSU, UCSB, UCI, Pepp, LMU, USD, CSUN, CSUF, UCR and I hope I'm not forgetting any are good bets for an enjoyable afternoon of competition. Notice I said "competition" nothing to do with the quality of the event which will vary from match to match.

I like what Freeman has done and moving Mills to holding mid was a bit of genius. Prisock is solid. The two wide backs did a decent job against Carolina. Carolina is a direct team and does much better on set pieces. Their goals against UCLA were on a PK and a corner kick. 'SC's offense looked solid although very direct. Keidane is an excellent coach he knows how to make something out of whatever ingredients he has. This was definitely a defining win for them. I hope they continue to do well. Cal and Stanford will expose any cracks not to mention their date at the Stub Hub center on the 4th of November.

The SoCal college teams are making this season exciting to follow. USC, UCLA, LBSU, UCSB, UCI, Pepp, LMU, USD, CSUN, CSUF, UCR and I hope I'm not forgetting any are good bets for an enjoyable afternoon of competition. Notice I said "competition" nothing to do with the quality of the event which will vary from match to match.
UCR is 2-2-3, got crushed by Michigan 0-4, the toughest team they played.

USD is 3-3-1 and 3 of their loses came from Power 5 schools.

Fullerton looks to be having a down year with a 3-4 record and 3 of their 4 loses coming from Power 5 schools.

I mention Power 5 results, because a mid-major school beating Power 5 schools in non-conference play translates to being the favorite to win their conference or conference tourney championship.

Last edited:
UCR is 2-2-3, got crushed by Michigan 0-4, the toughest team they played.

USD is 3-3-1 and 3 of their loses came from Power 5 schools.

Fullerton looks to be having a down year with a 3-4 record and 3 of their 4 loses coming from Power 5 schools.

I mention Power 5 results, because a mid-major school beating Power 5 schools in non-conference play translates to being the favorite to win their conference or conference tourney championship.

Nonsense.

Like I said, backline was the best part of USC. But the reality is that none of the teams USC has played thus far can be considered elite. UNC got pummeled by Duke who did everything but score (see box score), and needed OT to beat a modest Florida Atlantic side in Boca Raton. Nonetheless, the scoresheets are racking up and they are finding rhythm, and winning at GA and AU is not easy, neither is beating UNC. Now I see the SDSU transfer is cleared, which should help a lot.
USC has some real talent, and if that team gels, could make a run at going all the way.
The SDSU transfer is as good a forward as you will see, and Mills is awesome in the defensive middle.
All the way back on page one of this thread, I said "dont count them out", and anyone who does is nuts.

The SDSU transfer is as good a forward as you will see

I got to see Savannah Jordan up close and although that 'SC forward is talented there isn't a striker in the land not named Pugh, Morgan or Dunn that is better. You will see her as the first pick in the draft and sooner or later the full USWNT.

I got to see Savannah Jordan up close and although that 'SC forward is talented there isn't a striker in the land not named Pugh, Morgan or Dunn that is better. You will see her as the first pick in the draft and sooner or later the full USWNT.

Totally agree. Watched Florida vs Kentucky and Savannah Jordan is the real deal. Best post up forward in the country.

Totally agree. Watched Florida vs Kentucky and Savannah Jordan is the real deal. Best post up forward in the country.
There are a few that stand out in the college game right now.
Jordan is one, Hatch at BYU is another. Look for Pruitt to make waves this season.
She had ten goals for SDSU as a freshman on a bum knee.
She has a real team behind her now, and if she's healthy, look out.

The best forward not playing on the USNT is Lynn Williams.
She may be the best of all.

There are a few that stand out in the college game right now.
Jordan is one, Hatch at BYU is another. Look for Pruitt to make waves this season.
She had ten goals for SDSU as a freshman on a bum knee.
She has a real team behind her now, and if she's healthy, look out.

I have seen all 3 of those players up close and they all are terrific players. However, Savannah Jordan is on another level entirely Mr. Sanders and that is the truth. By comparison the next group of top forwards are playing checkers while she is playing chess. She has all of the tools. Speed, strength, good size, great in the air, great moving without the ball, dangerous on set pieces, great distributing the ball, great 1v1 or a high soccer IQ, grit a lethal finisher and she is a winner. I believe that she is well on her way to her 4th straight All American season. She has scored over 20 goals every single year with everyone knowing she was going to get the ball! She is the main scorer on the U23 WNT. Some people don't perform like their resume. This woman makes you think that there are two if her on the field. If you get a chance I suggest you check her out live it is pretty impressive. She will be on the full WNT eventually.

I have seen all 3 of those players up close and they all are terrific players. However, Savannah Jordan is on another level entirely Mr. Sanders and that is the truth. By comparison the next group of top forwards are playing checkers while she is playing chess. She has all of the tools. Speed, strength, good size, great in the air, great moving without the ball, dangerous on set pieces, great distributing the ball, great 1v1 or a high soccer IQ, grit a lethal finisher and she is a winner. I believe that she is well on her way to her 4th straight All American season. She has scored over 20 goals every single year with everyone knowing she was going to get the ball! She is the main scorer on the U23 WNT. Some people don't perform like their resume. This woman makes you think that there are two if her on the field. If you get a chance I suggest you check her out live it is pretty impressive. She will be on the full WNT eventually.
She's definitely a great player.

North Carolina 0 - 0 North Carolina State at half. So far the Tarheels have been able to keep up with the Wolfpack. We'll see what happens in the next 45.

Congratulations
North Carolina 0 - 0 North Carolina State at half. So far the Tarheels have been able to keep up with the Wolfpack. We'll see what happens in the next 45.

NC State 1 - University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill 0

Congratulations CaliKlines, eat a pickle haters.

Pepperdine peppering UCLA 7-2 shots in the first half no score.

Back