2016-1017 GIRLS HIGH SCHOOL SOCCER THREAD

So I looked at the pdf bdob provided and I don't understand it 1 bit. The leagues are now mixed with teams from multiple divisions? How does that help/hurt the ones in the lower numbered divisions within the same league?

So I looked at the pdf bdob provided and I don't understand it 1 bit. The leagues are now mixed with teams from multiple divisions? How does that help/hurt the ones in the lower numbered divisions within the same league?

If I'm understanding correctly, the divisions are for CIF Playoff purposes. It doesn't change the league itself and isn't really that much different than years past--some teams in each league are going to be much better than others, but when it's time to go to CIF they will play teams that are "more equivalent" in skill. Or to put it more simply: league is determined by where the school is located; division is determined by the "ranking" or skill level of the team.

Had a pretty good conversation last week in San Jose with a gal that scored a pretty famous goal in 1999 and a guy with a funny accent that used to work with some US women. Both thought the High School experience was very valuable and there is far more to it than just the soccer aspects.
Playing HS what comes to mind most is a player gaining leadership experience where they wouldn't on their club team.

It's only a few weeks into the season, but my kid is absolutely loving her first year of HS ball. We heard all the horror stories of how rough, violent, and unskilled the competition is, how bad the refs are, etc. But after 8-9 games, except for the fact that some of their opponents have been pretty remedial in skill, none of the other observations have held true. I've actually seen way fewer bad fouls. The refs have been about the same level as I've seen in SCDSL and CSL. The competition from school to school is hard to gauge (lots of blowouts) but my kids' school is loaded club players who are really enjoying playing with each other. I'm sure this experience varies greatly from place to place, but both parents and players are really digging it. My only complaint is that I can't get to all the weekday games.

It's only a few weeks into the season, but my kid is absolutely loving her first year of HS ball. We heard all the horror stories of how rough, violent, and unskilled the competition is, how bad the refs are, etc. But after 8-9 games, except for the fact that some of their opponents have been pretty remedial in skill, none of the other observations have held true. I've actually seen way fewer bad fouls. The refs have been about the same level as I've seen in SCDSL and CSL. The competition from school to school is hard to gauge (lots of blowouts) but my kids' school is loaded club players who are really enjoying playing with each other. I'm sure this experience varies greatly from place to place, but both parents and players are really digging it. My only complaint is that I can't get to all the weekday games.
Yes, and you will appreciate the free weekends! Once you get thru the tournament season, it was an unexpected benefit of high school ball.

I would also add, representing and playing for their school pride.
Exactly. It's what HS sports were all about "back in the day". My kids are having a blast playing together for the first time on their HS team. Couldn't be more proud. Makes the thought of DA taking this away very hard to grip.

Edison falls to Sunset league rival Los Alamitos 2-1 in Alise Cup Final. Better luck next time Chargers!
Los Al was on fire this last week! They gave up only one goal! After having watched them play, they have to be one of the top teams in D1 this year.

We always have 3 refs as well. I watched part of a tournament this weekend where there was a game with only one ref. Its a good thing it was a JV (?) game or a really slow paced varsity game. Otherwise he would have more than earned that paycheck .

Hey MC where is CM going to school at? Signing day is less than 2 months away. I am a little curious. She would be quite the coup for anyone even then top couple of classes would love to have her.

Can anyone explain the rationale behind the split up of leagues into their respective playoff divisions? I am only going to go into two examples because I know them pretty well.

In the Big VIII, Centennial finished 2-8 and 0-9-1 the last two years. Very uncompetitive the last two years in D2. One would anticipate that because of their recent history that the team would not be considered a D1 nor a D2 and infact, D3 might even be pushing it, however, they remain in D2.

Newbury Park, that played D2 last year and went to the Final four and to the Regional Championship and the previous season made it to the quarterfinals in CIF, eliminating Troy HS in earlier rounds, has been placed in the D2 bracket once again whereas Troy, that was D2 has been moved up to D1.

If one is looking to create the most competitive divisions, one would think that D1 programs should, at least on paper, be better than D2, D2 better than D3 and so on and so forth. Having watched a team such as Bishop Amat on Monday, a D3 program, I would say that they would probably win at D2. I am going to bet that there are going to be some huge goal differentials in many games come the first and second round of playoffs in our newly and more competitive method of dividing teams into playoff divisions.

Esperanza, Div 1, must be doing something right...6-0 to start the season. Not sure if they have beaten anyone of any strength yet, but I think the Excaliber tournament will be a good barometer. Who else is in?

Esperanza, Div 1, must be doing something right...6-0 to start the season. Not sure if they have beaten anyone of any strength yet, but I think the Excaliber tournament will be a good barometer. Who else is in?

Yeah - Yorba Linda is an awful team this year - they should have crushed them and San Juan Hills is not that great but definitely better than YL. Easy schedule so far but Excaliber should tell a better story (I think). I believe the 'right' is playing easy teams but could be wrong.

Hey MC where is CM going to school at? Signing day is less than 2 months away. I am a little curious. She would be quite the coup for anyone even then top couple of classes would love to have her.
I'm not sure. I spoke her dad on Saturday and they are still undecided. I think she has narrowed down her list of schools and is more than likely waiting until she hears back from admissions before she states what school she is committed to. All I know is, I am still receiving emails from coaches from small Quaker schools in the Midwest to the Ivies to the top Pac 12 schools. She definitely has a great problem to have. Wish my kid had the same problem :)

I'm not sure. I spoke her dad on Saturday and they are still undecided. I think she has narrowed down her list of schools and is more than likely waiting until she hears back from admissions before she states what school she is committed to. All I know is, I am still receiving emails from coaches from small Quaker schools in the Midwest to the Ivies to the top Pac 12 schools. She definitely has a great problem to have. Wish my kid had the same problem :)

Thanks for the info. She is a good kid and her dad is a nice guy. Definitely a good problem to have and I am sure that it will work out for her. Things will work out for your daughter too. She is one helluva player that has just gotten unlucky with injuries. I still remember the first time I saw her play at YOP camp. I remember being surprised that she played for Surf Blue (although at the time both teams in the age group were excellent). She is a tough cookie with big things in her future. Good luck to her.

What is wrong with this thread that espeola had to go start his own? Lots of great info on this one already. Thanks everyone !

Back