Youth Soccer Rankings ?

OK - here are the two sets of game sources:

2011 team: 2011 Sources.jpg

2010 team: 2010 sources.jpg

The 2011 team played as recently as 6/22. The 2010 team played as far back as 3/22 on their own. It looks like these teams both entered the 2022 Classic as two separate teams (5/21 - 5/22). From this data alone, it shows that one team didn't cleanly become the other. Some of their game history is clearly unique. If nothing changes going forward, the 2011 version of the team will just eventually time out of the rankings, and the 2010 version that is continuing to play, will continue to have games added to their own game history. If there are individual events (like for example, the Swallows Cup 2022 from 6/18) that were really the 2010 team and should be pulled over - it's just a click to do so. For what it's worth, it looks like they were playing against exclusively 2010 teams in that tournament (Slammers 2010 twice, Pateadores 2010, CFA).

OK - here are the two sets of game sources:

2011 team: View attachment 15030

2010 team: View attachment 15031

The 2011 team played as recently as 6/22. The 2010 team played as far back as 3/22 on their own. It looks like these teams both entered the 2022 Classic as two separate teams (5/21 - 5/22). From this data alone, it shows that one team didn't cleanly become the other. Some of their game history is clearly unique. If nothing changes going forward, the 2011 version of the team will just eventually time out of the rankings, and the 2010 version that is continuing to play, will continue to have games added to their own game history. If there are individual events (like for example, the Swallows Cup 2022 from 6/18) that were really the 2010 team and should be pulled over - it's just a click to do so. For what it's worth, it looks like they were playing against exclusively 2010 teams in that tournament (Slammers 2010 twice, Pateadores 2010, CFA).
The team from April / May left. But according to Mark, the team name keeps the game. It doesn’t follow the roster even though it’s 100% a different team with different coaches AG versus DO’b. The 2010 RL was taking over by the 2011 pre-ECNL team I think around august was when they started playing, maybe late July. This is why you don’t see any SoCal games from this season for that 2011 team.

The team from April / May left. But according to Mark, the team name keeps the game. It doesn’t follow the roster even though it’s 100% a different team with different coaches AG versus DO’b. The 2010 RL was taking over by the 2011 pre-ECNL team I think around august was when they started playing, maybe late July. This is why you don’t see any SoCal games from this season for that 2011 team.

A team is just a collection of game results, that represent the performance of that team. When teams change, the results can stay with the changed name, or they can stay with the original name, especially if that original team gets rebooted with the same name. But in general - as long as people are happy that the results are tied to who people can agree the team actually *is*, any option that represents that best is fine. Here's info from the FAQ for the app.

Team History Results

The coach wants to keep the black team history together and we fixed the team history to reflect that. This comes down to the philosophical question "what is a team?". Is it the group of players or the name of the team? Our policy is that if all concerned are happy then we will move history from an old team to a new team. However, if anyone objects then the team name defines the team and results with the same name will be grouped together.

Say that the Springfield Purple Puppies all pick up and move to a new club, the Smallville Raging Butterflies. There is no issue with the Butterflies adding (and keeping) all of the game results from the Puppies. Or they can decide not to, if they feel the team has changed enough (whether just roster, by name, or whatever). If the Springfield club reboots the team name, and has a new group of Purple Puppies, it's OK for them to add (or keep) the game results that were assigned to the previous incarnation. That would be OK as well. All Mark is saying is that if there is contention, and both the new Raging Butterflies, and the new/old Purple Puppies have any issue with how things are being assigned, the "winner" of that contention is the one with the same name, and the Purple Puppies would keep game history that was named Purple Puppies.

Since in Arsenal/Sporting's case, according to the info here, the whole team moved over, the game data shows the Coach is there, and the old team did appear to stop playing and become the new team - there is no "old" team to complain about results being assigned properly. So based on the info you provided, I moved the results over to Sporting California USA RL (2010 Girls).

sporting data sources.jpg

Turns out that this helped that team's rating/ranking quite a bit; they immediately jumped from 112th in state to 88th in state (for 2010G).

sporting new rank.jpg

Their most recent performance in RL appears to be underperforming as compared to that new rating (judged by the 4 "red" games, no green, and rest black), so over time the rating will continue to adjust to whatever the current performance is as new games are added each weekend.

sporting recent RL results.jpg

I wanted to come back and bump this thread with some new information about the Soccer Rankings (SR) app. I weighed the options of just starting a new thread, but figured it might make more sense to have the information consolidated here where there has already been so much discussion about the ratings/rankings/algorithm/etc.

So today Mark made a pretty incredible discovery, and I'm giddy because it was at least partially based on a suggestion I gave him. But before I get there, a little background might be helpful to ground the discussion. So first off, the way this system works is pretty well known and well described at this point, at least to folks who frequent this board. Game data is pulled in from a various electronic sources, and assigned to a team entity. If a correct team entity for the data can't be identified, it creates a new team entity. Rinse and repeat, continuing to add game results to each entity. If the game results have a rated team on the other side of it, the rating for each team is adjusted based on the new results. The ratings of the two teams are compared, and if the actual goal difference is more than expected by the existing ratings, the one who overperformed has their rating bumped up a smidge. If the goal difference is less than expected. the one who underperformed has their rating bumped down a smidge. If the goal difference is pretty much spot on with what was expected, neither team's ratings will move much at all. (more details on this up on the FAQ for the app)

There are a couple outcomes of these ratings, but essentially they are useful for predicting what is going to happen when two rated teams compete. Those predictions can be used to flight tournaments, choose proper league brackets, or as a fun prediction for how an upcoming weekend may be expected to play out. Now these predictions are never going to be 100% accurate (right every time), or 0% accurate (wrong every time); but the better the data, and the better the algorithm, the better quality the predictions can be. For definitions, Mark uses "predictive power" to state these same concepts. 0% predictive power means a coin flip (getting no better than 50% correct). 100% predictive power = god. You can convert predictiveness to the % of results correctly predicted by dividing by 2 and adding 50%. So 70% predictive power would translate to getting 85% of predictions correct. In all of these trials correct is defined as picking the correct winner, for games that result in a winner. If the wrong winner is chosen, it's a failure. Tie game results are excluded from these predictivity results.

With this setup, predictivity of the app isn't an estimate or a guess - it's a specific number that can be calculated as often as desired. Run through all the stored games in the database right now, and compare the predicted results using the comparative ratings, and the actual game results, and divide the correct predictions over all of the games being predicted, and 1 number gets spit out. Turns out this number, as of today, is 66.7% predictive over all games, which translates into picking the correct winner of the soccer game 83.35% of the time. So as expected, it's way better than a coin flip, and will pick the right winner about 5 out of 6 times. This predictive number is a validation that the ratings derived from the algorithm themselves have a certain level of accuracy. If the ratings were wildly inaccurate, the predictive number would trend to 0%; if the ratings were supernatural, the predictive number would trend to 100%. But by any measure, the real, provable, actual predictivity number is pretty darned good (and better than a well known other ranking system by more than 50 points, it's insane). For any skeptics that doubt that youth soccer can be ranked/rated, or even skeptics of this particular algorithm / ranking system, the predictivity number is what mathematically shows the expected probability - and it's an admirable number.

But that still isn't the interesting discovery. Here comes the interesting discovery. There is an intuition, even by proponents of this type of comparative ranking that uses goal differences, that the quality of the data (and the predictions) depends on how close the compared teams are to each other, and how many expected shared opponents they have. The more interplay, the better - the less interplay, the more drift. I believed that to be the case, as it seems reasonable. For example, if teams are in the same league, or same conference, or even same state; they play each other enough, that their comparative ratings will be honed and sharpened by each other, and would have a higher predictive value. And conversely, if you're comparing teams that are not in the same league, same location, may have never seen each other before, and have few if any common opponents - it makes intuitive sense that their comparative ratings would drift a bit more, and would be somewhat less accurate. Remember, this actual predictivity, this quality of each prediction, can be calculated by looking at the existing data for games that would fit into this category.

So what I suggested to Mark - and to be fair, he had also thought of himself within the past few days as well - was that he should exclude all in-state games, and measure the predictivity of interstate games exclusively. CA teams playing AZ, TX playing OK, or any other permutation in the country where the opposing teams are in different states. What this would do, is measure how good the predictions are, when there is very little shared information going into the upcoming game. Interplay is low. This represents what happens when you go to a big tournament elsewhere, as opposed to predicting what will happen with a local league game. He coded the query, ran the data, and a few hours later the number was spat out. And it turns out that for these interstate games, the algorithm is 67.0% predictive, which translates into picking the correct winner of the soccer game 83.5% of the time. So all of the intuitive worry about drift, or more local data being more refined than less remote data, turned out to be a false intuition. The comparative ratings, when used even across different states, provide just as good (and in fact a teensy bit better) predictions as when they are applied to local / in-league contests. If a team has sufficient data to be rated, that rating can be trusted regardless of extensive interplay or not. It's an incredible finding, and it validates all of the work and effort Mark and his team have done over the years to polish and refine the algorithm, tying game data to a useful rating.

And now to a real-world use, it looks like we're predicted to lose both games this Saturday with my youngest's team, so what's the leading recommendation to fill my thermos?

I wanted to come back and bump this thread...
Great post.

Anecdotally, I do think there is a socal under score. It could just be because this is where we live, but I have noticed that while the predictions are largely true when playing intra-socal, when socal teams play out-of-state tournaments, you can bump up most of their scores by a point or two. It could also just be that socal MLS Next is overloaded at the top. Or maybe we just play better on the road... who knows.

Anecdotally, I do think there is a socal under score.

I think there are a couple of factors here. The first one, is separating the idea of winning a game by more than expected or less than expected, from the idea of winning the game or losing the game. They are overlapping and related, but they are fundamentally different. The measured predictiveness is whether a correct winner was chosen - not the likelihood that it got the goal difference close to correct for that particular game. If you're supposed to win by 2 and you win by 4, that's a correct prediction. If you're supposed to win by 3 and you win by 1, that's a correct prediction. That overperformance/underperformance is exactly what's factored into the team history to maintain the rating - but the closeness to that rating isn't the success measure being discussed ("Did we win?").

Another relevant factor is that this predictiveness can be measured with different populations of games, to understand how the quality of the predictions changes for different types of opponents/games. All of these different populations report different predictiveness numbers, but in the big picture, in most cases they are pretty close. (e.g. girls games show about 2% higher than boys games, cross-year games show about 2% higher than all games, cross-gender games show about 20% lower than all games - in that case still picking 71% of the winners).

But the different population that may be relevant to the socal teams you're discussing, is that for teams in the top 100 by age (top 100 nationally, not top 100 in state), the predictive power is 50.2%, choosing the correct winner 75.1% of the time. That's still more than 3 out of 4 correct picks, but it is noticeably less predictive than the 5 out of 6 correct picks that can be seen in the overall population. I didn't check all age groups, but just flipping through 2010G for top 100, it shows that ~20 SoCal teams are in the top 100 nationally. If you just sort by CA 2010G teams, you have to go all the way down to the 22nd place team (Slammers FC RL), to see a team that is out of the top 100 (103rd in that case). It looks like only 3 of those teams are not in SoCal. (There are 483 ranked 2010G teams in CA, out of 2878 ranked 2010G teams nationally, or 16.7%)

That tells me two things. The first is that people following these ratings specifically for their favorite SoCal teams are going to see a measureable amount more of incorrect calls, compared to anyone following all of the other teams that aren't standing so close to the top step. It also shows that the top SoCal teams really are that good. Their high collective ratings are not a measurement error - having 20 of the top 100 just in SoCal is a testament to the quality of the game in that area - it's something to be proud of.

I think there are a couple of factors here. The first one, is separating the idea of winning a game by more than expected or less than expected, from the idea of winning the game or losing the game. They are overlapping and related, but they are fundamentally different. The measured predictiveness is whether a correct winner was chosen - not the likelihood that it got the goal difference close to correct for that particular game. If you're supposed to win by 2 and you win by 4, that's a correct prediction. If you're supposed to win by 3 and you win by 1, that's a correct prediction. That overperformance/underperformance is exactly what's factored into the team history to maintain the rating - but the closeness to that rating isn't the success measure being discussed ("Did we win?").

Another relevant factor is that this predictiveness can be measured with different populations of games, to understand how the quality of the predictions changes for different types of opponents/games. All of these different populations report different predictiveness numbers, but in the big picture, in most cases they are pretty close. (e.g. girls games show about 2% higher than boys games, cross-year games show about 2% higher than all games, cross-gender games show about 20% lower than all games - in that case still picking 71% of the winners).

But the different population that may be relevant to the socal teams you're discussing, is that for teams in the top 100 by age (top 100 nationally, not top 100 in state), the predictive power is 50.2%, choosing the correct winner 75.1% of the time. That's still more than 3 out of 4 correct picks, but it is noticeably less predictive than the 5 out of 6 correct picks that can be seen in the overall population. I didn't check all age groups, but just flipping through 2010G for top 100, it shows that ~20 SoCal teams are in the top 100 nationally. If you just sort by CA 2010G teams, you have to go all the way down to the 22nd place team (Slammers FC RL), to see a team that is out of the top 100 (103rd in that case). It looks like only 3 of those teams are not in SoCal. (There are 483 ranked 2010G teams in CA, out of 2878 ranked 2010G teams nationally, or 16.7%)

That tells me two things. The first is that people following these ratings specifically for their favorite SoCal teams are going to see a measureable amount more of incorrect calls, compared to anyone following all of the other teams that aren't standing so close to the top step. It also shows that the top SoCal teams really are that good. Their high collective ratings are not a measurement error - having 20 of the top 100 just in SoCal is a testament to the quality of the game in that area - it's something to be proud of.
CA is like GA, FL, TX you can play soccer all year long + theres high density populations which translates to several local high level teams to play.

Some locations like CO, IL, NY have population density but they cant play outdoor soccer year round. Usually they augment with things like futsal or at the highest levels have indoor fields but this is a 2nd choice to outdoor. (Assuming outdoor performance is the overall goal)

I grew up in the midwest + at the time didnt understand how CA teams (all teams not just soccer) were able to dominate. After living in CA for the last 25 years + with kids in the sports funnel it all makes sense now. This doesnt mean players outside places like CA wont accel. But from experience I can say that you just cant understand the level of competition happening in CA until you're in it.

To highlight above I remember a game a couple of years ago + I recognized 3-4 pro sports parents pacing the sidelines watching their kid play. Since then seeing pro sports parents has become more and more common. Not that this wouldnt happen in other places. It's just more visible in CA + Socal specifically.

USA Sports Statistics (company that makes SR), just posted a preview on FB of the 2015 rankings that will be officially released to the app on Aug 1. To perhaps nobody's surprise, looks like 3 of the top 10 nationally on both the Girls and Boys side are from SoCal, including #1 for 2015G.

boys.jpg girls.jpg

Not exactly sure how accurate the rankings are?

Very. A higher rated team will beat another rated team 82% of the time. A higher rated team in the top 100 nationally will beat another team in the top 100 nationally 75% of the team. Does that mean every ranking from 1 to 2000 in each age group is exactly correct and will predict who wins the next game with 100% certainty? Of course not. Something that could do that would be science fiction rather than an actual rating system. But anyone claiming they are terribly inaccurate is either intentionally obtuse or doesn't understand how probability works.

Someone hadn't linked Koge's win from last month as of yet, but when you do so you can see how well they did in the finals. They overperformed in all 4 games (all 4 marked green), and in doing so upped their own rating/ranking significantly.

koge2.jpgkoge1.jpg

That said, the 05/04 rankings (and soon, the 06/05 rankings), are probably the wonkiest in terms of making sure each team has all of their games (and none of anyone else's games) correctly assigned per team, since it's when the age groups shift from 1 per year to 2 per year. Some teams keep individual year teams, some go to two years, some go to two years but keep the name of the single year. There is none of that complication for every other group from U9-U17.

Also, the U19s get all kinds of messed up in the second half of the year as kids either commit to colleges or drop out. My U16 son had to double play with the U19s at the MLS Next Showcase in Dallas because they didn't have enough kids. I mentioned this to a college scout and he said that there some clubs don't even bring their college-committed players to the year-end tournaments because so many drop out at the last minute.

And while we're here, I think one of the reasons the predictions for the top 100 teams are less accurate than the rest may be that at that level, many of the best players are playing up. Atlanta United's U16s, for example, moved their 2 top players up for most of the season, but then brought them back for MLS Next Cup which they won. LAFC will sometimes play an entire team up against lower league teams (play, the U15s in a league game against the U16s) which doesn't get reflected in the rankings (meaning, to the ranking algorithm, they look like the U16s even though they're really the U15s).

Also, the U19s get all kinds of messed up in the second half of the year as kids either commit to colleges or drop out. My U16 son had to double play with the U19s at the MLS Next Showcase in Dallas because they didn't have enough kids. I mentioned this to a college scout and he said that there some clubs don't even bring their college-committed players to the year-end tournaments because so many drop out at the last minute.

Yep - the more the team makeups are variable, the more the results will be variable.

And while we're here, I think one of the reasons the predictions for the top 100 teams are less accurate than the rest may be that at that level, many of the best players are playing up. Atlanta United's U16s, for example, moved their 2 top players up for most of the season, but then brought them back for MLS Next Cup which they won. LAFC will sometimes play an entire team up against lower league teams (play, the U15s in a league game against the U16s) which doesn't get reflected in the rankings (meaning, to the ranking algorithm, they look like the U16s even though they're really the U15s).

This may be accurate or not, depending on how the teams are entered and how the results can be captured from the specific tournament systems. In many (most?) situations, if the Strawberry Bunnies 2008 team plays up in the 2007 bracket for a tournament, they are still called the Strawberry Bunnies 2008, the GotSport reference team # is tied to that 2008 team, and when the results are pulled into SR, it will show up as results for the 2008 team correctly. However - if they instead enter the tournament as the Strawberry Bunnies 2007 team and there is no tie to a GotSport reference # when they sign up, and they are playing in the 2007 bracket, it is likely the results will come in as 2007. No idea how LAFC specifically handles this when they sign up for various events - whether they are playing the U15 teams against the U16s, or they still play as the U16 team - but it's mostly (entirely?) made up of U15 kids for that tournament.

No idea how LAFC specifically handles this when they sign up for various events - whether they are playing the U15 teams against the U16s, or they still play as the U16 team - but it's mostly (entirely?) made up of U15 kids for that tournament.
This isn't for tournaments, but for league games. Others can speak to this more, but LAFC will sometimes roster, eg, all 08s for an 07 game. There's no way youth rankings could know (unless they're parsing individual game rosters - which I'm pretty sure they aren't).

This isn't for tournaments, but for league games. Others can speak to this more, but LAFC will sometimes roster, eg, all 08s for an 07 game. There's no way youth rankings could know (unless they're parsing individual game rosters - which I'm pretty sure they aren't).

All SR is doing for these rankings is looking at the game results and tying them to the team entity. If LAFC is still calling it their 2007 team, but decided to only have 08's play on it that weekend - you're right, it's still the 2007 team and that team's results would be tied to the 2007 team ratings/rankings. There is no knowledge of roster details. If the 08's are not as strong as the 07's (perhaps likely, but maybe not universally true), the rating might be somewhat lower than it would have been otherwise if they were only playing 07's as the team name suggests.

If the club is rostering younger players on the 2007 team, it is still a 2007 team. The app compares team results not players, so I don't see how it is an issue. My question is where is LAFC playing all the 2007 players if the 2008's are displacing them for a league game? Seems like the club is either benching an entire roster worth of players, or the club registered more teams in league than they have players to roster. Or the third possibility, the source of the claim is exaggerating the scenario, and only a few 2008's are guesting to fill in roster gaps. Either way, the results of the registered team, belong to that team, even if it is a hodgepodge roster each game. I wouldn't expect a team that has constantly changing roster to perform very well regardless of the age difference. Once they reach U15, they are all basically on equal footing anyway (U15-U19) and it is more about knowledge, skill, and ability and not age.

If the club is rostering younger players on the 2007 team, it is still a 2007 team. The app compares team results not players, so I don't see how it is an issue.
The issue is that it lowers the rank of the '07 team and when the actual '07 team plays (at an important tournament or playoffs, say) they're better than their rank suggests.

My question is where is LAFC playing all the 2007 players if the 2008's are displacing them for a league game?
They're playing the '06s or getting the day off. There are a lot of games in an MLS Next season.

Or the third possibility, the source of the claim is exaggerating the scenario, and only a few 2008's are guesting to fill in roster gaps.
Nope. I've seen it happen where the entire 08s played up and so did the 09s. You'd have to ask the LAFC parents how often they do this.

Once they reach U15, they are all basically on equal footing anyway (U15-U19) and it is more about knowledge, skill, and ability and not age.
I disagree. It's pretty rare that a club's U19s won't beat their U17s and 17 > 16 and so on. Yes, there are exceptions where a club has a particularly good or bad team in one age group, but for the most part age and size still matter. One way to see this is to look at the teams' ratings.

LAFC 2007B is a 53.70
LAFC 2008B is a 53.51

For what it's worth, those 2 teams are essentially interchangeable, from a predictions standpoint. LAFC 2006B shows slightly better at 55.61. And the 05/04's are only a tinge better at 56.01.

While it is true that when different players are on a team different results can be expected, keep in mind that the predicted results as already scored/reported are based on the existing data, with all of its foibles, as is. It's all taken into account. If the data were perfect, it's possible the predicted results would be a shade better. How much better? That's a complicated and fully debatable point, but it's quite possible that it wouldn't change as much as one might expect.

Back