Youth Soccer Rankings ?

dawson

SILVER ELITE
It's rankings are not perfect but are reasonable .
But it's the only site I know that does a pretty good job of recording games played history for teams.

It's been down for 3 days .
Anyone know if it's coming back ?

It's rankings are not perfect but are reasonable .
But it's the only site I know that does a pretty good job of recording games played history for teams.

It's been down for 3 days .
Anyone know if it's coming back ?
On another thread, someone said the guy's email is coming back undeliverable. Doesn't seem like it's coming back !!!

I just tried to log on to "youth soccer rankings .us " and I got " sports engine . com " . I searched the website and found no
reference to youth soccer rankings .

That does not look good . It was fun to look up a teams records to get a feel for who you were going to play especially for out of
state teams . Oh well .

I just tried to log on to "youth soccer rankings .us " and I got " sports engine . com " . I searched the website and found no
reference to youth soccer rankings .

That does not look good . It was fun to look up a teams records to get a feel for who you were going to play especially for out of
state teams . Oh well .
It sure was fun to have that resource. Hopefully the guy that ran the site shares his magical algorithm with someone else to take over.

It sure was fun to have that resource. Hopefully the guy that ran the site shares his magical algorithm with someone else to take over.
Much of the algorithm was new ranking = average ( opponent ranking + goal differential.)

The harder part is data standardization and all the screen scraping for data gathering.

Much of the algorithm was new ranking = average ( opponent ranking + goal differential.)

The harder part is data standardization and all the screen scraping for data gathering.
It was also weighted by time, but you're right, it's gathering the data that's the pain.

View attachment 13249

There it is. YSR is dead.
Interesting that they mention SportsEngine.

Imagine the amount of information you could realize if you had backend access to SportEngine data.

1. Whos winning + whos losing
2. Which coaches do better over time
3. Which DOCs do better over time
4. How many practices top teams actually participate in
5. How many tournaments top teams actually participate in

Etc, etc etc. You could even from the opposite and find out which teams / coaches / docs are losing + likely show why.

How many hours a week do you think YSRs was putting into this?

seems like an opp for someone to step in and build it up and charge a nominal monthly fee for access. I think you would have a good customer base

similar to what Pomeroy does for college basketball.

is the issue actually getting the data ?

How many hours a week do you think YSRs was putting into this?

seems like an opp for someone to step in and build it up and charge a nominal monthly fee for access. I think you would have a good customer base

similar to what Pomeroy does for college basketball.

is the issue actually getting the data ?
Getting the data is always the issue.

This is why I've been saying leagues should have apps that refs run on their phones. After each game refs enter scores / card info / etc. This would be automatically uploaded to whatever website is tracking the scores.

You could even have the app show a pic of each player before the game so refs can confirm whos playing.

So many ways to make Soccer less awful. But then how would the powers that be not be able to bend the rules in their favor.

Getting the data is always the issue.

This is why I've been saying leagues should have apps that refs run on their phones. After each game refs enter scores / card info / etc. This would be automatically uploaded to whatever website is tracking the scores.

You could even have the app show a pic of each player before the game so refs can confirm whos playing.

So many ways to make Soccer less awful. But then how would the powers that be not be able to bend the rules in their favor.
CSL started this on their app a few years ago, although limited to score and cards. They had team managers enter the information and then the refs sent in the paper copy as a check on the TMs. It wouldn't take much to add the goals for each player and the photo ID if they haven't already. MLS Next does it now as did USSDA before them. DA made it publicly available, but MLS keeps the data internal, at least for now.

CSL started this on their app a few years ago, although limited to score and cards. They had team managers enter the information and then the refs sent in the paper copy as a check on the TMs. It wouldn't take much to add the goals for each player and the photo ID if they haven't already. MLS Next does it now as did USSDA before them. DA made it publicly available, but MLS keeps the data internal, at least for now.
If you know all the players then parents should be able to "prebuy" parking for tournaments + get into the facilities quicker. Just show that you've paid on your phone and get scanned in.

They need to license all the data to 3rd parties + let other businesses that know how to manage data do their thing.

Soccer groups tend to be greedy, not very knowledgeable, + willing to bend the rules. These things don't mix well with black and white data.

Interesting that they mention SportsEngine.

Imagine the amount of information you could realize if you had backend access to SportEngine data.

1. Whos winning + whos losing
2. Which coaches do better over time
3. Which DOCs do better over time
4. How many practices top teams actually participate in
5. How many tournaments top teams actually participate in

Etc, etc etc. You could even from the opposite and find out which teams / coaches / docs are losing + likely show why.

"likely show why"?

Last edited:
Hi all - I joined this site only because this thread was one of the top results for searching on the web for youthsoccerrankings.us. I discovered that site not too long ago, but had gotten great use out of it this season for a number of local teams, and was happy to have that background on the teams we would be seeing in both league play and tournament play. I had traded some messages with the site founder along the way. After it went down last week, I was surprised to hear that it was actually SportsEngine who both run the site, and who decided to take it down without warning. They have also decided not to let the site revert back to its prior status, run and maintained (for free), by the founder. If anyone wants to share how much value they did get out of it, and try and convince SportsEngine to relent - now is the time. Their contact info is terribly hard to find, but the main contact page is up at:

I can confirm that the press@sportsengine.com is still live and reading incoming email, although the woman listed on that page appears to have left SportsEngine as of last month, according to LinkedIn. help@sportsengine.com is another one that shows up if you try and message them on twitter. If anyone knows or comes across a better contact - please post up. I sent an email with my thoughts a little while ago, and perhaps others can do the same.

Rankings report and top 10 is big time for parents with players under 14. Someone needs to run with this 100%. Parents love this stuff and coaches can use rankings to get his or her players excited to play the #2 team out of Texas.

Anybody can do a similar ranking to what youthsoccerrankings.us previously did by using the Microsoft Excel Solver add-on and collecting all the data needed. It's the collection of data that's a pain since you have to scour the web for league and tournament scores across multiple platforms. Gotsport.com and totalglobalsports.com. I believe youthsoccerrankings made this easier by writing a program to screen scrape scores from the different sites. A previous poster had done this for the 05's and I had done this for the 09's (the Excel solver portion only...manually collected the scores). This is a labor of love and I can understand why the youthsoccerrankings owner let it go after a while if they had kids age out. There is a lot of inconsistencies in way teams show up on different sites (or different tournaments within the same site) and I'm sure youthsoccerrankings was flooded with correction requests like "my daughters team actually won 5-0 instead of 1-0...you have to fix this!" You take for granted what you have until one day it's gone.

Back