Vaccine

If you are going to contribute to MS's attempts to bully me off the forum, I'm not interested in participating in any discussions with you.

As for the cardiac problems, I am watching with interest and when someone has something with real meat* to discuss instead of just isolated anecdotes, perhaps a meaningful discussion can ensue.

Other than that, I have been trying to stay awake through all the WWC games and not succeeding very well.

* I hope you didn't find that offensive.
The last thing I want is for you to leave the forum.. you provide way toouch entertainment!

Maybe do your research and find your information, or as you call it, your meat .

You'll find that you'll have more then enough to consume.

But how's the memory? You forgot already? Yet you remember what you posted on the original version of the forum.

" that sounds like something I would think about"

We should be skeptical of science more than ever. Some would have you believe that science is proof, or a fact. It is not. Science is a process that it is subject to the bias of the researcher/"scientist". Science tries to claim that if its "peer-reviewed" it is beyond bias. Bullshit. Science typically occurs in a controlled environment. Real life does not. Trust reality before science. Trust your own eyes and ears before science.

Science has been corrupted by politics, as the authors of this paper admit.

For those who think the Covid "booster" was useless, fun fact:
Worldwide, the majority of Covid related deaths occurred before the booster was available to all.
In Florida, the majority of Covid related deaths occurred after the booster was available worldwide.
Ideology can be harmful to your health.

Worldwide, the majority of Covid related deaths occurred before the booster was available to all.
In Florida, the majority of Covid related deaths occurred after the booster was available worldwide.
The FDA authorized the use of the booster for all individuals on November 19, 2021. On that date Florida had 61,147 deaths, their total deaths through July 1, 2023 are 88,896 (according to the data from usafacts.org). So that's 61,147 pre-booster, and 27,749 post-booster approval for all individuals (not accounting for time to get the booster, which would make post-booster deaths even less). Just FYI only 17% of the US population has had even one booster.

Thanks for proving the point that ideology can be harmful to your health.

So to take a page out of your book, who told you this?

Florida still has the largest percentage of senior citizens compared to every other state, right?

Here's a really fun fact, Fudd: I could be wrong but it seems like there was a lot of JoeTato Briben and vaccines in 2021

Florida still has the largest percentage of senior citizens compared to every other state, right?

Here's a really fun fact, Fudd: I could be wrong but it seems like there was a lot of JoeTato Briben and vaccines in 2021

The Meat Beater tends to forget things. Forgetting to take into account all the non covid deaths reported as covid deaths for the hospitals financial gain.

Lets face it.. the dude is irrelevant and he doesn't even know it.

We should be skeptical of science more than ever. Some would have you believe that science is proof, or a fact. It is not. Science is a process that it is subject to the bias of the researcher/"scientist". Science tries to claim that if its "peer-reviewed" it is beyond bias. Bullshit. Science typically occurs in a controlled environment. Real life does not. Trust reality before science. Trust your own eyes and ears before science.

Science has been corrupted by politics, as the authors of this paper admit.
It's so much bigger than just science. The legacy news and social media blindly supported any assertion or request. Their "conspiracy theories" were found to be the truth. The current hand-wringing over climate change only makes me chuckle. I suppose some people just can't get enough of being played for a fool. When John Kerry is serious enough about his carbon emissions that he gets to his speaking engagements riding on a solar-powered donkey, I'll consider getting concerned. When Klaus Scwab gives all his money to charity and rents an apartment in a 15-minute city, I'll consider getting concerned. When Gavin "French Laundry" Newsom gives up his hair gel goes full surfer dude, composts all his waste, and cooks the fish and seaweed he gathers on a daily basis in a solar oven, I'll consider getting concerned.

He's late getting the memo that the focus of the narrative changed to heat hysteria.
Well I just drove through Mesquite NV and its 116. But you know whats causing the heat? Its called summer, it happens every year. I thought the Today show had turned into the Weather Channel. No mention of the form 1023 that alleges Joe took a $5mm bribe on Burisma. Instead wall to wall coverage of it being hot in Phoenix.

Well I just drove through Mesquite NV and its 116. But you know whats causing the heat? Its called summer, it happens every year. I thought the Today show had turned into the Weather Channel. No mention of the form 1023 that alleges Joe took a $5mm bribe on Burisma. Instead wall to wall coverage of it being hot in Phoenix.
Please continue.

Ok...dont let anyone tell you that its only hot 3 months out of the year in Phoenix, that's a blatant lie. Speaking of blatant lies, do you have any more "fun facts" for us?
My goodness, CNN continues to beclown itself with climate hysteria. After the past few years, if I see CNN advocate - for anything - I assume it's political, and I should bias myself in the opposite direction.

He may not have a fun fact, but I see @espola is modeling for his cause.

1690655780720.png

More actual reporting - from the non-legacy media, of course - Public. Rather than start a new thread, I'll put this here. Fact-checking became prominent during COVID and was used often w.r.t. the vaccine. The irony is that the social platform the legacy media hates and wants to censor has "Community Notes" where individuals can post comments to add context and include sources. It's a much better source of fact-checking than anything in the legacy media. It will alert you if a tweet you "liked" has been community noted in the future.

- Smith, Gutentag, Shellenberger

Fake news about the riots in France was yet more proof that misinformation is widespread on social media platforms, said experts last month. “This video of several cars falling from a multi-story car park,” tweeted Shayan Sardarizadeh, a fact-checker with BBC Verify, “is from the set of the action film Fast & Furious 8 and unrelated to the current French riots.”

But the fact check was hardly a major journalistic coup. The Twitter account that posted the tweet, @GoryPhoto, was a clearly-marked parody account. GoryPhoto’s bio even included the disclaimer, "mostly lies and slander."

What’s more, Twitter’s crowd-sourced fact-checker, Community Notes, had already flagged the “Fast and Furious” tweet as fake six hours before Sardarizadeh tweeted. “Readers added context they thought people might want to know” read Twitter’s Community Notes. “This is a scene from Fast & Furious.”

Still, experts and journalists with the New York Times, AP, and BBC warn that fake news travels six times faster than factual news. “The system that connects us,” said former CNN journalist and Nobel Laureate Maria Ressa at a recent summit on disinformation, “spreads lies faster than facts — six times faster.”

But the idea that fake news travels six times faster than factual news is itself fake news. The source of the claim, which journalists frequently repeat and never fact-check, is an MIT study of a tiny number of tweets, not news articles.

And the roughly 126,000 tweets that MIT researchers analyzed to inform the study’s findings are equivalent to the number of tweets published in a mere 21 seconds today. In other words, they generalized from 21 seconds of tweets to the whole of the Internet to make their sweeping claim.

More dangerously, fact-checkers spread disinformation and demand censorship based on that disinformation. During the pandemic, Facebook alone removed 20 million posts and labeled more than 190 million claims related to Covid-19, relying on International Fact-Checking Network (IFCN) approved organizations to accomplish this massive “content moderation.”

Recently, another group, FactCheck.org claimed to have debunked the idea that north Atlantic right whales are threatened by wind energy development along the East Coast of the United States. “Federal agencies and experts say there is no link to offshore wind activities, although they continue to study the potential risks,” they noted.

But as both Public and the Washington Post have reported, top US government scientists recently affirmed that “surveying for, building, and operating industrial wind projects could harm or kill whales.”

In May 2022, one of them, Sean Hayes with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, said the wind projects “could have population-level effects on an already endangered and stressed species.” For the record: “population-level effects” includes extinction.

There are many cases of fact-checkers spreading disinformation that then results in censorship. Facebook censored stories claiming Covid-19 might have come from a lab. Last week, Public documented the role played by Anthony Fauci in creating junk science to create a fake debunking of the lab leak, which the White House and others used to justify censorship.

Fact-checkers have thus been forced to make an embarrassing series of retractions. PolitiFact, the dean of all fact-checking organizations, was forced in 2021 to retract its false debunking of a doctor who said COVID-19 was a “man-made virus created in the lab.” And just last week, the BBC was forced to retract its false claim that UK politician Nigel Farage was not de-banked for political reasons because, as it turned out, he was.

French President Emanuel Macron may have similarly spread disinformation after some reported that he had called for shutting down the internet in response to rioting. At first, Snopes and other fact-checkers claimed the allegation was false. But then, just a few days later, the Guardian reported that Macron had indeed announced that “when things get out of hand, we may have to regulate them or cut [social networks] off.”

Despite the terrible track record of fact-checkers getting the facts wrong, spreading misinformation, and demanding censorship, the fact-checking industry has shown no remorse, humility, or self-awareness.

Around the world, fact-checkers engage in biased fact-checking and demand censorship of others while displaying no apparent concern that they themselves may be guilty of the exact thing for which they are criticizing others.

Why is that? Can anything be done to make fact-checking more… factual? Or is fact-checking doomed to be biased, hypocritical, and authoritarian?

More actual reporting - from the non-legacy media, of course - Public. Rather than start a new thread, I'll put this here. Fact-checking became prominent during COVID and was used often w.r.t. the vaccine. The irony is that the social platform the legacy media hates and wants to censor has "Community Notes" where individuals can post comments to add context and include sources. It's a much better source of fact-checking than anything in the legacy media. It will alert you if a tweet you "liked" has been community noted in the future.

- Smith, Gutentag, Shellenberger

Fake news about the riots in France was yet more proof that misinformation is widespread on social media platforms, said experts last month. “This video of several cars falling from a multi-story car park,” tweeted Shayan Sardarizadeh, a fact-checker with BBC Verify, “is from the set of the action film Fast & Furious 8 and unrelated to the current French riots.”

But the fact check was hardly a major journalistic coup. The Twitter account that posted the tweet, @GoryPhoto, was a clearly-marked parody account. GoryPhoto’s bio even included the disclaimer, "mostly lies and slander."

What’s more, Twitter’s crowd-sourced fact-checker, Community Notes, had already flagged the “Fast and Furious” tweet as fake six hours before Sardarizadeh tweeted. “Readers added context they thought people might want to know” read Twitter’s Community Notes. “This is a scene from Fast & Furious.”

Still, experts and journalists with the New York Times, AP, and BBC warn that fake news travels six times faster than factual news. “The system that connects us,” said former CNN journalist and Nobel Laureate Maria Ressa at a recent summit on disinformation, “spreads lies faster than facts — six times faster.”

But the idea that fake news travels six times faster than factual news is itself fake news. The source of the claim, which journalists frequently repeat and never fact-check, is an MIT study of a tiny number of tweets, not news articles.

And the roughly 126,000 tweets that MIT researchers analyzed to inform the study’s findings are equivalent to the number of tweets published in a mere 21 seconds today. In other words, they generalized from 21 seconds of tweets to the whole of the Internet to make their sweeping claim.

More dangerously, fact-checkers spread disinformation and demand censorship based on that disinformation. During the pandemic, Facebook alone removed 20 million posts and labeled more than 190 million claims related to Covid-19, relying on International Fact-Checking Network (IFCN) approved organizations to accomplish this massive “content moderation.”

Recently, another group, FactCheck.org claimed to have debunked the idea that north Atlantic right whales are threatened by wind energy development along the East Coast of the United States. “Federal agencies and experts say there is no link to offshore wind activities, although they continue to study the potential risks,” they noted.

But as both Public and the Washington Post have reported, top US government scientists recently affirmed that “surveying for, building, and operating industrial wind projects could harm or kill whales.”

In May 2022, one of them, Sean Hayes with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, said the wind projects “could have population-level effects on an already endangered and stressed species.” For the record: “population-level effects” includes extinction.

There are many cases of fact-checkers spreading disinformation that then results in censorship. Facebook censored stories claiming Covid-19 might have come from a lab. Last week, Public documented the role played by Anthony Fauci in creating junk science to create a fake debunking of the lab leak, which the White House and others used to justify censorship.

Fact-checkers have thus been forced to make an embarrassing series of retractions. PolitiFact, the dean of all fact-checking organizations, was forced in 2021 to retract its false debunking of a doctor who said COVID-19 was a “man-made virus created in the lab.” And just last week, the BBC was forced to retract its false claim that UK politician Nigel Farage was not de-banked for political reasons because, as it turned out, he was.

French President Emanuel Macron may have similarly spread disinformation after some reported that he had called for shutting down the internet in response to rioting. At first, Snopes and other fact-checkers claimed the allegation was false. But then, just a few days later, the Guardian reported that Macron had indeed announced that “when things get out of hand, we may have to regulate them or cut [social networks] off.”

Despite the terrible track record of fact-checkers getting the facts wrong, spreading misinformation, and demanding censorship, the fact-checking industry has shown no remorse, humility, or self-awareness.

Around the world, fact-checkers engage in biased fact-checking and demand censorship of others while displaying no apparent concern that they themselves may be guilty of the exact thing for which they are criticizing others.

Why is that? Can anything be done to make fact-checking more… factual? Or is fact-checking doomed to be biased, hypocritical, and authoritarian?
If you’re going to post a big thing about “fake news”, you might want to pick one which is a little but clearer about what it is and is not saying:

Is your author actually saying that offshore wind farms will cause whales to go extinct? No. Is he making use of a vague term to imply they might? Absolutely. Does he have any actual evidence to support the use of the word “extinction”? Absolutely not.

A population level event can include extinction. I suspect it can also include far smaller shifts, such as a widespread change to feeding grounds. Your author doesn’t mention what the non-extinction meanings of this term might be. He just tosses out the word extinction as though it is the only possible interpretation, despite the fact that he has no evidence to support that particular claim.

In other words, your author displays “no apparent concern that they themselves may be guilty of the exact thing for which they are criticizing others.”

If you’re going to post a big thing about “fake news”, you might want to pick one which is a little but clearer about what it is and is not saying:

Is your author actually saying that offshore wind farms will cause whales to go extinct? No. Is he making use of a vague term to imply they might? Absolutely. Does he have any actual evidence to support the use of the word “extinction”? Absolutely not.

A population level event can include extinction. I suspect it can also include far smaller shifts, such as a widespread change to feeding grounds. Your author doesn’t mention what the non-extinction meanings of this term might be. He just tosses out the word extinction as though it is the only possible interpretation, despite the fact that he has no evidence to support that particular claim.

In other words, your author displays “no apparent concern that they themselves may be guilty of the exact thing for which they are criticizing others.”
You just demonstrated the strength of de-centralized "reporting" such as X and blogs. You added context, and you were clear in how you evaluated the statement.

To your specific point, many of the "facts checks" were blatantly incorrect - well beyond implying an interpretation of a word (includes) that is within its definition. If examples such as yours were the only thing we had to deal with from our representatives, the FBI, the CIA, the legacy media, etc., they would all be much more respected. They have all earned the scorn they get - and more.

You tried very hard to twist the comment into much more than it is. The term "includes" does not mean "likely", "common", etc. It absolutely does not imply that it is the only possible interpretation. It just doesn't. I have clear memories of how much leeway you gave an article from CNN that did much more. It misinterpreted definitions and data, but you gave them a pass because they included some version of "you should wear masks".

You just demonstrated the strength of de-centralized "reporting" such as X and blogs. You added context, and you were clear in how you evaluated the statement.

To your specific point, many of the "facts checks" were blatantly incorrect - well beyond implying an interpretation of a word (includes) that is within its definition. If examples such as yours were the only thing we had to deal with from our representatives, the FBI, the CIA, the legacy media, etc., they would all be much more respected. They have all earned the scorn they get - and more.

You tried very hard to twist the comment into much more than it is. The term "includes" does not mean "likely", "common", etc. It absolutely does not imply that it is the only possible interpretation. It just doesn't. I have clear memories of how much leeway you gave an article from CNN that did much more. It misinterpreted definitions and data, but you gave them a pass because they included some version of "you should wear masks".
Is there actually any evidence to support a link between wind farms and whale extinctions? Or is your author trying to use a couple weasel words to imply a link which isn’t really there?

Making allowances for weasel words is a cheat. If that is permitted, then the author could be a pimply faced 40 year old in his mom’s basement copying things he found on Breitbart.

See, it’s all ok because I said “could be”.

Similarly, you are a mammal. An example of a mammal is a mangy orangutan with severe diarrhea.

True? Yes. Helpful? No.

Where does it end? At some point, there is a standard of evidence, and we should respect those who don’t speak until they actually have some basis, but not those who don’t.

There are examples on all sides of both. The covid “hurricane” was an example of speaking rashly. Imperial College’s 2.2 M prediction was an example of speaking appropriately. Therefore, we should respect future IC predictions and discount future statements from Osterholm.

Is there actually any evidence to support a link between wind farms and whale extinctions? Or is your author trying to use a couple weasel words to imply a link which isn’t really there?

Making allowances for weasel words is a cheat. If that is permitted, then the author could be a pimply faced 40 year old in his mom’s basement copying things he found on Breitbart.

See, it’s all ok because I said “could be”.

Similarly, you are a mammal. An example of a mammal is a mangy orangutan with severe diarrhea.

True? Yes. Helpful? No.

Where does it end? At some point, there is a standard of evidence, and we should respect those who don’t speak until they actually have some basis, but not those who don’t.

There are examples on all sides of both. The covid “hurricane” was an example of speaking rashly. Imperial College’s 2.2 M prediction was an example of speaking appropriately. Therefore, we should respect future IC predictions and discount future statements from Osterholm.
A logic argument on the soccer forum! How fun!

that word “respect” is awfully loaded especially given some of the authoritarian prescriptions that at a minimum tickled your fancy. In fact that word “respect” and what it means is the entire ball of wax in this argument. You are doing the same handwaiving over the difficult issue that you accuse the article (and kicking has conceded is done in that article) of doing with respect to extinctions.

further it does not logically follow that because ic got something right and osterholm got something wrong that the next time it will be the same (or more/less likely to be the same). That’s the coin flip fallacy (otherwise known as the come fallacy for craps players and it’s corollary the dont come fallacy). Your proof skips over the step of why they got it right/wrong and how that would impact future events. A geometry teacher would downgrade you for making assumptions and skipping over reasoning in your proof. :)

Back