USC and UCLA to the Big Ten!

Money is undefeated so far and this is all about money. They will find a way to get rid of most of the sports that don't make money. Trust that.

If my kid was a 13 year old soccer star I would tell them to start focusing more on their academics since the future of soccer scholarships is less certain than ever.

Yup. Instead of the school offering scholarships, the booster collectives will pay the football players. That saves the school Title 9 money matching. We are already back to the days of SMU, but now everything is over the table, not under. You realize QBs are getting 7figure payments, right? Average players are getting $50-100K.

If you needed to be reminded, there's no money in US soccer :)

I think the program itself would have to be independent of the school - maybe a licensing agreement between the team and the school so the team could use the school's name/logo/etc., facilities rental agreements, etc. - but I think if school itself is offering the program, it would not take much for a good TIX attorney to make the argument for equitable treatment across the campus. All that said, who knows where this will be come fall of '24 when UCLA and USC (and who knows who else) have monster in-conference road trips.

If my kid was a 13 year old soccer star I would tell them to start focusing more on their academics since the future of soccer scholarships is less certain than ever.
Should be doing both. My kid found out during her Junior year that getting all A's in AP classes meant nothing when it came to getting academic money for college at a Cal State or a UC school. Thankful for soccer.

I still believe 95% of the schools will make more money keeping federal funds and retaining Title IX then trying to somehow divest itself from it. I can't see UCLA with 59% females at the school taking a step to do away with womens programs. They have a 119 national championships with 11 men's programs and 14 womens programs, only 1 in football.

All that said, who knows where this will be come fall of '24 when UCLA and USC (and who knows who else) have monster in-conference road trips.
Flying to Detroit, Michigan only takes 1 hour more at most than Oregon or Washington.

USC starting paying all athletes a stipend this year. Regardless of sport, financial aid or self pay, each athlete now gets about $5,000 a year cash. With about 500 athletes, that's $2.5 million, some small schools whole athletic budget is less than that.

USC is basically a healthcare company with a school. The whole Athletic department budget is probably less than 3% of total annual revenue.

Flying to Detroit, Michigan only takes 1 hour more at most than Oregon or Washington.

it's not the duration of the flight. Detroit is 3 hrs ahead. Going back and forth between time zones will wreak havoc on their sleep cycles and study patterns. If UCLA plays at UW on a Thurs, the team can fly out late on Wed no prob. If UCLA plays Rutgers on Thurs and if they fly on Wed, they have to fly early Wed so all of a sudden 2-day school weeks become the norm. If it were so simple as flight duration, the NFL would not put so much time into sleep studies and planning and they don't have work around classes.

Let the $$$ rain + get the power out of the hands of the few willing to bend the rules.

Talent is something that's being seriously undervalued right now.

Pay the players and let the chips land where they will.

There are plenty of universities with great women soccer programs that do not even have men football, I do not see why this is the beggining of the end of women college soccer as we know it.
I actually feel bad for the soccer players at UCLA and USC (and their parents), starting 2024. The horrendous traveling is definitely a reason to commit elsewhere. I hope that they schedule off-conference games with them, I do not see why not, more good local games for us.

it's not the duration of the flight. Detroit is 3 hrs ahead. Going back and forth between time zones will wreak havoc on their sleep cycles and study patterns. If UCLA plays at UW on a Thurs, the team can fly out late on Wed no prob. If UCLA plays Rutgers on Thurs and if they fly on Wed, they have to fly early Wed so all of a sudden 2-day school weeks become the norm. If it were so simple as flight duration, the NFL would not put so much time into sleep studies and planning and they don't have work around classes.
You mean the Seattle Seahawks with 29,446 miles and 34 time zones. If they want, they will be put USC and UCLA in the west, 8 teams, along with 8 teams in the East. 2 hour time zone, 3 away games and three home games. 1800 x 3 is 5400 miles and 6 time zones. 7th game in division vs each other. 2 out of division games vs East means one additional longer away game. 9 league games. Pretty sure most kids can learn as well on their computers as they can in class. Some even better. One of the things that impressed my daughter with college visits was the extra staff that is available to keeping athletes on track.

I'm not happy about it, but for college basketball and football, most are already used to travek and don't think it will be a major issue for these two sports. Does make you wonder what the transfer rate will be for other sports after putting in a year of this travelling for soccer or softball or many of the other sports.

Send her to Europe. They just broke a record in ticket sales at the women’s European soccer tournament. 500k tickets sold out of 700k available.

Oregon Ducks hold a lot of power now. If they stay put then Pac 12 adds a couple schools like SDSU and Boise State and forges ahead. But, if they go to Big ten, and likely take a school like Washington with them, then all bets are off and the Pac12 becomes a free-for-all with some schools going to Big12 -- AZ and ASU come to mind, and others trying to cobble together a new conference--Stanford, Cal, Washington State, etc. + Boise St, SDSU, UNLV, etc.

State politicians might also jump into the fray - there's already talk of making state laws to prohibit oregon and washington's state universities from traveling across the country for games and keeping the rivalries that have been ongoing since 1915 in tact.

WCC and schools without big football programs become a lot more attractive for soccer and all other olympic-sport student-athletes...program stability and your college life is not 100% determined by football.

Gonna be an absolute shit show.

Gonna be an absolute shit show.
Maybe.

But there is no real reason they need UCLA/USC to play every east coast team for every non revenue sport.

It's easy enough to have the minor sports split east/west while football follows the TV contracts.

Not so fast UCLA!!! Looks like another back room deal? I think our Governor is 100% right about and they should have talked with BOR. I mean, this is a state school and this will have huge impact on the all students.

1657981668074.png

"I read about it (is how I found out)," Newsom said in the interview. "No big deal. I’m the governor of the state of California. But maybe a bigger deal is that I’m the chair of the UC Board of Regents. I read about it. Is it a good idea? Did we have a chance to discuss the merits (of the decision)? I’m not aware anyone did. So it was done in isolation. It was done without regental oversight or support. It was done without any consideration to my knowledge."

He also expressed that in his mind, the decision lacked "decency" and that the impact will be felt throughout the state’s universities, not just the UC schools:

Not so fast UCLA!!! Looks like another back room deal? I think our Governor is 100% right about and they should have talked with BOR. I mean, this is a state school and this will have huge impact on the all students.

"I read about it (is how I found out)," Newsom said in the interview. "No big deal. I’m the governor of the state of California. But maybe a bigger deal is that I’m the chair of the UC Board of Regents. I read about it. Is it a good idea? Did we have a chance to discuss the merits (of the decision)? I’m not aware anyone did. So it was done in isolation. It was done without regental oversight or support. It was done without any consideration to my knowledge."

He also expressed that in his mind, the decision lacked "decency" and that the impact will be felt throughout the state’s universities, not just the UC schools:
"I inherited a deficit with UCLA athletics," Bruins AD Martin - Maybe you stop paying coaches so much and shorten your football program with so many scholarships. Glad to see that they are going to be held accountable if they make the move.

It's all talk. UCLA is in a deep hole and they either go to the big10 or cut a bunch of sport while having the school and state start paying their debt. Everyone knows UCLA is gone. Currently UCLA athletics doesn't get any money from the state.

CAL is a shit show. Poorly managed and has zero potential as big football draw. They actually spent $300million when they barely make enough money to keep athletics afloat.

PAC12 schools are mad but if given the choice and an extra $60 million a year any of them would leave for the big10.

Back