Trans eligibility rules for girls sports.

Should sanctioning bodies allow male to female trans athletes to register on girls teams?

Please do not mention any specific child or team. It is common enough to be an issue, but we can discuss the fairness questions without making life hard for some kid.

Even discussing it generally makes it hard on these children. All they want is to lead a normal life, but haters seem to think what they are really doing is trying to find a way to get a hand up in life to ruin someone else's athletic dreams. lol, yeah, that's the first thing on a 10-year old's mind: how can I ruin some one else's dreams of playing in college?

Should sanctioning bodies allow male to female trans athletes to register on girls teams?
If this is the question that you're asking, then the question that I have in return is what is the objective of playing youth sports? Our local sanctioning bodies have laid out their objectives on their website for all of us to see:

- Based on US Club Soccer's Vision, Mission and Core Statement, they should not allow transgender girls to play on girls teams.
- Based on Cal South's About Us, Vision, Mission and Core Statement, they should allow transgender girls to play on girls teams.

Even discussing it generally makes it hard on these children. All they want is to lead a normal life, but haters seem to think what they are really doing is trying to find a way to get a hand up in life to ruin someone else's athletic dreams. lol, yeah, that's the first thing on a 10-year old's mind: how can I ruin some one else's dreams of playing in college?
Without discussion, there will never be acceptance. Without acceptance, transgender girls will never be able to lead the normal life that you're talking about. Not everyone who wants to talk about this or is unsure on their stance here is a transphobe as @GoldenGate will have you believe. Where we stand today, there will be vitriol on the sidelines of the opposition when playing against a transgender girl. There's a reason that this topic was brought up on that forum to begin with.

If this is the question that you're asking, then the question that I have in return is what is the objective of playing youth sports? Our local sanctioning bodies have laid out their objectives on their website for all of us to see:

- Based on US Club Soccer's Vision, Mission and Core Statement, they should not allow transgender girls to play on girls teams.
- Based on Cal South's About Us, Vision, Mission and Core Statement, they should allow transgender girls to play on girls teams.

Care to expand on how you came to that conclusion for US Club Soccer? The words boy, girl, male, female, or gender are not used there.

If you want to have separate boys and girls leagues, you need some sort of rule for who is allowed into each league.

How do you pick that line? Do you defer to the loudest advocate until someone like Lia Thomas makes you look like an absolute fool?

That path ends poorly. Swimming was a laughingstock for months because of it. In the end, they had to switch their rules anyway.

You're better off putting all the Y chromosome athletes in the men's division.

Care to expand on how you came to that conclusion for US Club Soccer? The words boy, girl, male, female, or gender are not used there.
Correct. Nowhere is gender or inclusivity discussed. Instead, US Club talks about promoting the best interests of players and the game, acting in a businesslike manner and being a loyal member of U.S. Soccer. In that case, they should follow the guidelines that NWSL, US Soccer's women's league, has put in place for transgender athletes.

Correct. Nowhere is gender or inclusivity discussed. Instead, US Club talks about promoting the best interests of players and the game, acting in a businesslike manner and being a loyal member of U.S. Soccer. In that case, they should follow the guidelines that NWSL, US Soccer's women's league, has put in place for transgender athletes.
It's in the interest of women's sports to keep the compeition fair and not make it a laughing stock within the professional sports community...and to try and stay away from the vagueness of gender vs the quantifiable ID of sex at birth. There are outlyer medical conditions that contradict but those are few and far between.

It's a difficult and uncomfortable subject for some/many. Coed teams up to certain ages aren't a big deal. Puberty/hormones are the line in the sand and are so obvioss if you ever seen an elite U16/U17 girls team take on a U16/U17 boy's second team. I've never seen a close game and the differences are glaringly obvious. Size and strength matter and usually wins when bodies clash.

I have no problem with my daughters competing against athletes who are trans women or trans girls. I do not believe that there are adolescent boys or young adult men who will go through the process of living as a girl or woman just to catch a look at other girls/women in the locker room or for a competitive advantage. If someone identifies as a girl or woman and lives as a girl or a woman, I think she should compete in girls' or women's athletics. The issue involves a relatively small number of trans athletes so a policy of inclusion seems the most reasonable to me.

I don't have a high degree of confidence that this is a forum conducive to reasonable discussion of this topic.

(FWIW, I am a parent of one D1 woman soccer player and two HS girl soccer players (my first child is a boy (well, now a man) and is not really relevant to this discussion))

Quote of the year. Go dive into the off-topic to get an eye-opener. I did, went and took a shower, and promise to never do so again.

I am questioning why I'd comment on this thread at all b/c I know how I'm going to feel after. After being a pretty active commenter for a number of years, I took a very long break b/c how unreasonable so many threads got. I came back b/c of ACL tears and to help provide real world info re recruiting and playing at the D1 level (those are pretty solid threads). I know I will regret this dive into the boiling water.

It looks like they need an established transition program and are subject to more or less continuous blood testing.

This article sums up the NWSL's policy and raises some good questions and concerns. One of them is the testing procedures.

So far, I appreciate the discussion here.

I have no problem with my daughters competing against athletes who are trans women or trans girls. I do not believe that there are adolescent boys or young adult men who will go through the process of living as a girl or woman just to catch a look at other girls/women in the locker room or for a competitive advantage. If someone identifies as a girl or woman and lives as a girl or a woman, I think she should compete in girls' or women's athletics. The issue involves a relatively small number of trans athletes so a policy of inclusion seems the most reasonable to me.

I don't have a high degree of confidence that this is a forum conducive to reasonable discussion of this topic.

(FWIW, I am a parent of one D1 woman soccer player and two HS girl soccer players (my first child is a boy (well, now a man) and is not really relevant to this discussion))
I know millions of reasons, but let's not go there tonight. Oh boy, this is a tough one and I took the bait. Crush believes under 11, go co-ed. 12 and above, we shall take each case by itself, male or female. I empathies with everyone and I want to bring peace and harmony and FAIRNESS. The Lia one is a no for me because we need standard of rules of when Lia is offically I girl and Lia needs to get rid of something before I even listen but if Lia goes all the way and is making strides to be who she wants to be, the Pro's can interview and ask more Qs. I love you all and I want to help everyone through all this. I coached my dd U6 co-ed team and it was a gr8t joy. We lost every game but the kids had fun.

NWSL is dealing with adults. It’s closer to reasonable for them to request a specific medical procedure (gonadectomy or androgen suppressants) as a condition of playing in their league. And they do require it.

I wouldn’t want to out that kind of pressure on a kid. You don’t want to say “we’ll let you play, but only if you push transition faster than you find comfortable”.

NWSL is dealing with adults. It’s closer to reasonable for them to request a specific medical procedure (gonadectomy or androgen suppressants) as a condition of playing in their league. And they do require it.

I wouldn’t want to out that kind of pressure on a kid. You don’t want to say “we’ll let you play, but only if you push transition faster than you find comfortable”.
I know a dear friend whose dd became a yound man at 12 and then a man and is super happy. Hannah became Nick and looks and acts like a male 100%. I have not met a ds who became a girl but I know their out their and all humans should be handled with love and care. However, we need some standards, some definitions and that is fair. I think all know what I mean. Case by case and treat each person with dignity and no judgment. Openness and transparency is key. We can do this everyone.

I'm going to regret biting on this thread...

Let's say for discussion sake that we accept what you're suggesting. What does the NWSL policy look like:

1660177679560.png

The hard line in the sand here is the max testosterone level of 10nmol/L and the declaration that the athlete identifies as female.

You're saying you're good with this?

Let's say for discussion sake that we accept what you're suggesting. What does the NWSL policy look like:

View attachment 14555

The hard line in the sand here is the max testosterone level of 10nmol/L and the declaration that the athlete identifies as female.

It's a great question and one that is argued over and over. Human biology is entirely too complicated to leave it up to one marker to determine fairness in sports.

Please do not mention any specific child or team. It is common enough to be an issue, but we can discuss the fairness questions without making life hard for some kid.

the rules should increase in severity (outright ban, certain time post surgery, certain time post hormone treatment) based on the level. An eight year old in ayso Rec who cares. An Olympic athlete is a very different story. Higher scrutiny for solo over team sports.

View attachment 14555

It's not worth arguing this one.

You're trying to apply logic to a topic that's 100% emotional.

No matter what you say those on the other side will press against it.

Back