I’ve come to believe there truly is a phenomenon called Trump Derangement Syndrome.
People who adopt a deranged loyalty to Donald Trump.
We’ve all by now heard about and even watched the video showing the implosion of Senator Eric Schmitt (R-MO). From Hawks to Hawkeyes in seven minutes of nationwide embarrassment, and a hearing long obsession with catering to Trump and propagating the Big Lie; ignoring the massive and deadly insurrection that sought to tear the guts out of Congress and shred the U.S. Constitution.
As Schmitt’s shabby and shoddily put together attempt at “gotcha” crumbled like the GOP’s backbone the expression on the face of Sen. Katie Britt (R-Alabama) pretty much summed it up, from the Republican perspective.
Senator Britt sat there gape jawed.
I’m not going to rehash or repeat some of the clever and erudite commentary on this event.
But as I watched the scene unfold, yes I was watching the hearing in real time, it occurred to me that the show trial approach to such hearings gives evidence to a theory I learned long ago. A theory I have long held since my days as a college student of political science.
With the exception of the likes of the McCarthy hearings of the 1950s and the Watergate hearings, the significance of Congressional hearings is generally in inverse proportion to the attention they gather in the press.
Do I believe that Trump should have been impeached? Yes. Both times. I also believe he should have been convicted both times. But the outcome was a forgone conclusion both times.
What did the impeachments accomplish? Apart from setting Trump apart as the only president to have been impeached twice? Neither impeachment moved public opinion very much at all. Either in favor of, or in support of, Trump.
Trump was elected to a second term and earned $2.2 billion during the first year of his second term.
Thus, my assertion that the important hearings, at least at the outset, are data driven and focused on the knowledge and experience of those called to testify or to give witness.
Not in the food-fight hurling of ad hominem attacks. Or in grandstanding.
The best hearings and those that result in good, solid legislation and meaningful oversight are boring.
These hearings also attract legislators who want to legislate and serve their constituents; to serve the country.
They rarely attract legislators who want to attract attention to themselves.
When is the last time you heard of, or watched, a meeting of the Senate Subcommittee on Fisheries, Waterways and Wildlife?
But if you’re concerned with clean water or protecting wetlands, this is the go to committee.
What I saw yesterday, was a hearing that was convened by the Republicans to serve only one constituent. Donald Trump. And to speak to only one group of Americans. The MAGA base.
This hearing had absolutely nothing to do with persuading anyone. And everyone in that room, including Jack Smith, must have known there would be no concrete results, just a lot of posturing and vapid pontificating.
Regardless of one’s opinion of Jack Smith, he was the only person in the room, including Democrats, who consistently and persistently maintained his composure.
Why? I don’t know definitively. But I suspect it’s because he’s dealt with people for years who have a deranged loyalty to Trump. And he knows what Trump did on January 6th. He knows what Trump did with all of those classified documents in Mar-a-Lago.
And no ad hominem attacks, no deflections, no name calling will change the facts on the ground.
Trump fomented an insurrection, that had deadly consequences.
Trump illegally removed classified documents from the White House and stacked them in a bathroom at his luxury resort residence.
But as I say, more often than not, the more showy the congressional hearing, the more shallow the results.
This, in my judgment, should be a guiding principle if the Democrats take the majority in the House and possibly the Senate: pick your battles carefully.
The goal should not be to grab headlines, but to force proverbial heads to roll.