Thinking of making a move to an ECNL team for next year

Ugh that is so expensive. I recently read an article somewhere about youth soccer in Spain and how they just play local. Even like the Barcelona youth, they mostly play local non La Liga youth teams. Is American soccer SO advanced that we need kids traveling across the continent for "quality games"?

Maybe it won't work for other areas of the country, but surely in SoCal, we can keep it local and still have kids compete against other kids their level??
Geographically the US is 20x larger than Spain. Olders traveling across the country for showcases is to allow players to play in front of colleges/scouts in other parts of the US...not because we do not have enough good teams to play against in our region.

often the team manager and that's one of the reasons they volunteered
I'm a team manager and I can't wait to hand off the job after this season. I suggest you volunteer to be a team manager so that you can see firsthand how TM's do not have a say in personnel decisions (at least at my club). If your club/coach is influenced by whiny parents then it's probably best to find a new club where that isn't an issue.

Geographically the US is 20x larger than Spain. Olders traveling across the country for showcases is to allow players to play in front of colleges/scouts in other parts of the US...not because we do not have enough good teams to play against in our region.

I dunno with all the video footage & streaming now my player and several on his team where recruited by several organizations from other areas that didn't attend live or make events.

They may have been watching previously or also taking with coaches but a standout player can get plenty of offers or interest without traveling cross country.

I'm a team manager and I can't wait to hand off the job after this season. I suggest you volunteer to be a team manager so that you can see firsthand how TM's do not have a say in personnel decisions (at least at my club). If your club/coach is influenced by whiny parents then it's probably best to find a new club where that isn't an issue.
TM should never call a parent a "whiny" parent. Their lies the problem. Most coaches hide behind folks like you rainbow unicorn. I also agree 100% TMs have no say. They do what their told and say what their told to say.

I dunno with all the video footage & streaming now my player and several on his team where recruited by several organizations from other areas that didn't attend live or make events.

They may have been watching previously or also taking with coaches but a standout player can get plenty of offers or interest without traveling cross country.
My pals dd is playing top D1 and never played in a travel league. She got great grades and sent her High School video highlight and GPA with SAT score and she is playing soccer and going to college for free and did her parents saved over at least $50K for not doing the travel league. GK and stayed local to play local save thousands.

My pals dd is playing top D1 and never played in a travel league. She got great grades and sent her High School video highlight and GPA with SAT score and she is playing soccer and going to college for free and did her parents saved over at least $50K for not doing the travel league. GK and stayed local to play local save thousands.
I do agree that in Socal we should not have to travel (very far) to play games. There's enough local clubs/teams to make everyone happy.

However I don't mind the travel + other than some of the numbnut parents + ridiculous drama.

How do you explain the top ranked teams that are stacked?

A club isn’t going to last long if it allowed this to occur for too long. I think the poster nailed it that spoke about a lot of people’s inability to gauge talent. Likely the complainers are the ones that swear their little angel is the best player and the only reason that little bitch stole her playing time is because her parents bribed the coach.

I’m not saying it hasn’t happened, but it’s not endemic nor prevalent.

I agree about the putting in extra time concept and the coach seeing the results of it.To avoid the appearance of conflicts, the coach shouldn’t be the one making a penny off of it.

What does it mean when the club president's a team manager or a director comes in to coach a team?

Is that a major red flag parents are problems or does it mean its going to cost even more to see the field?

FWIW, we experienced a dramatic shift in the Pay-to-Play scenario when a new ECNL Director / Coach replaced our ECNL coach earlier this year. As I understand it, for as long as anyone can remember, our club had a strict policy (likely not written but certainly enforced) that coaches could not offer private paid training to their own players. That all changed with the departure of our coach and the incoming replacement director/coach. Within a month of joining, parents of all three teams being coached started receiving text messages about "additional technical training" offered by the coach at a flat rate of "$40 CASH" per session regardless of how many players attended. The text messages and paid sessions have continued twice a week since August. The text messages read, "I have had some inquires about additional sessions..." and "In a couple of sessions I can already see an immediate improvement in passing, touch and technical proficiency." The club's ECNL teams all practice 3 days a week. It would seem that the technical aspects of the game could be covered in those sessions. Instead, the normal practices are spent on fitness (running) and unsupervised scrimmages. Based on playing time and ability, it is abundantly clear that the players who are attending the private paid sessions are getting a disproportionate amount of playing time!

100 % agree- Coaches should not be allowed to have paid private training for their own team players...that's a conflict of interest.

FWIW, we experienced a dramatic shift in the Pay-to-Play scenario when a new ECNL Director / Coach replaced our ECNL coach earlier this year. As I understand it, for as long as anyone can remember, our club had a strict policy (likely not written but certainly enforced) that coaches could not offer private paid training to their own players. That all changed with the departure of our coach and the incoming replacement director/coach. Within a month of joining, parents of all three teams being coached started receiving text messages about "additional technical training" offered by the coach at a flat rate of "$40 CASH" per session regardless of how many players attended. The text messages and paid sessions have continued twice a week since August. The text messages read, "I have had some inquires about additional sessions..." and "In a couple of sessions I can already see an immediate improvement in passing, touch and technical proficiency." The club's ECNL teams all practice 3 days a week. It would seem that the technical aspects of the game could be covered in those sessions. Instead, the normal practices are spent on fitness (running) and unsupervised scrimmages. Based on playing time and ability, it is abundantly clear that the players who are attending the private paid sessions are getting a disproportionate amount of playing time!

100 % agree- Coaches should not be allowed to have paid private training for their own team players...that's a conflict of interest.
Welcome to how one gets dd in the game. Not all Docs do this so I dont want to hurt anyones ego or trigger a coach or papa bear. Its a fact that this is going on and has been going on. I saw it with my eyes. 3 days is plenty to develope players without conflicts of interst and dad brown nosing with his money. I hope this gets dealt with. Its so unfair. Good luck to your player :)

Lived through the exact situation for 2+ seasons. Add in one additional wrinkle. Not all parents were invited to private sessions with the coach. This was done to make those involved player and parent feel more special but it was also a way to signal to certain players/parents that you're on the way off the team which both perpetuated + reinforced the privates.

We did a couple of the sessions with the coach + decided that the pay to play level wasn't what we're interested in. After we started shopping around to other private type coaches and found another person outside of the team/club that was a much better fit and are still working with them to this day.

The good of privates with your coach...
- The players involved did improve
- The coach was able to focus on 3-4 players vs 15+

The bad of privates with your coach...
- Who starts and playtime will always be questioned
- The coach has too much power/leverage over players

Lived through the exact situation for 2+ seasons. Add in one additional wrinkle. Not all parents were invited to private sessions with the coach. This was done to make those involved player and parent feel more special but it was also a way to signal to certain players/parents that you're on the way off the team which both perpetuated + reinforced the privates.

We did a couple of the sessions with the coach + decided that the pay to play level wasn't what we're interested in. After we started shopping around to other private type coaches and found another person outside of the team/club that was a much better fit and are still working with them to this day.

The good of privates with your coach...
- The players involved did improve
- The coach was able to focus on 3-4 players vs 15+

The bad of privates with your coach...
- Who starts and playtime will always be questioned
- The coach has too much power/leverage over players

As I understand it, when certain parents of one of the teams complained about the paid private sessions, they were removed from the group text by the coach. Not surprisingly, the compliant (read: non-complaining) parents continued to receive the twice weekly texts to attend the private sessions. The end result was the departure of the TM and child - a standout player on that team.

As I understand it, when certain parents of one of the teams complained about the paid private sessions, they were removed from the group text by the coach. Not surprisingly, the compliant (read: non-complaining) parents continued to receive the twice weekly texts to attend the private sessions. The end result was the departure of the TM and child - a standout player on that team.
Pretty standard response (player leaving) when there's perceived favoritism especially if it's because the coach is running privates with their team.

Almost forgot to mention. The team has to be winning for the coach doing privates with their players to work. This is because nobody wants to pay extra to learn from a coach that loses every week.

One last thing. Once the word is out that a coach is coin operated + has a winning team + is involved in whatever league is considered the best it will attract the worst type of parents. Ones that could care less about the club or other players on the team + will pay whatever it takes to give their kids minutes. As soon as that coach leaves or the players age out + they'll leave. (unless they have a guarantee that the new coach is coin operated as well).

Pretty standard response (player leaving) when there's perceived favoritism especially if it's because the coach is running privates with their team.

Almost forgot to mention. The team has to be winning for the coach doing privates with their players to work. This is because nobody wants to pay extra to learn from a coach that loses every week.

One last thing. Once the word is out that a coach is coin operated + has a winning team + is involved in whatever league is considered the best it will attract the worst type of parents. Ones that could care less about the club or other players on the team + will pay whatever it takes to give their kids minutes. As soon as that coach leaves or the players age out + they'll leave. (unless they have a guarantee that the new coach is coin operated as well).
Oh, one last thang. The Doc/Coach who offers cash privates, usually has the connection at the next level as well and we know what all these pay to play parents want. Paying extra gets you his recommendation. If you complain and speak up, well then your going to get bad marks for not willing to pay to play in order for dd to get to the mecca of girls soccer.

Just a comical follow up.

Contacted the two closest ECNL coaches near me to check out some team training. On my first stop guess what? My golfing pals were the only parents shooting the shit with the coach before practice.

Just a comical follow up.

Contacted the two closest ECNL coaches near me to check out some team training. On my first stop guess what? My golfing pals were the only parents shooting the shit with the coach before practice.
Sounds like you have an in + they can intro you to the coach if you'd like to go forward with that team.

I wouldnt necessarily be concerned that 2 parents were buddies with the coach. But I would wonder why they're the only ones. Is the team full of drop and go parents? Are the other parents so fed up with the coach that they're shopping around + this is why they're not chatting?

Different coaches have different styles of interacting with players/parents. Finding one that syncs with your expectations will make eveyone much happier.

It's a conflict for a coach to do privates with their players but it happens all the time and it does makes a difference in getting more playing time. Sad but true. Good for players that genuinely want to work hard to get better.

Back