Thinking of making a move to an ECNL team for next year

It's a conflict for a coach to do privates with their players but it happens all the time and it does makes a difference in getting more playing time. Sad but true. Good for players that genuinely want to work hard to get better.

I do privates for my team players, but charge zero. Sometimes I combine non-team players who pay with the team players during the private/small group sessions. I do agree that it is a conflict of interest, and just shady, to charge your own team players extra money.

I do privates for my team players, but charge zero. Sometimes I combine non-team players who pay with the team players during the private/small group sessions. I do agree that it is a conflict of interest, and just shady, to charge your own team players extra money.
When I had to deal with the coach doing privates with their players I honestly feel that they were trying to make players better but at the same time making extra $$$ on the side.

Initially I dont believe the privates determined starts or minutes. But over time the parents started grouping together + not attending if one in the group didnt start. Also before and after sessions parents were in the coaches face telling him how wonderful he was/is. Over time they wore the coach down with $$$ and compliments.

In the end 50% of the privates parents left the team when they aged out + the new coach made it clear that privates with the coach wouldnt happen anymore. Is that a normal level attrition? Dont really know. But I do know that privates with players caused all kinds of problems with parents.

When I had to deal with the coach doing privates with their players I honestly feel that they were trying to make players better but at the same time making extra $$$ on the side.

Initially I dont believe the privates determined starts or minutes. But over time the parents started grouping together + not attending if one in the group didnt start. Also before and after sessions parents were in the coaches face telling him how wonderful he was/is. Over time they wore the coach down with $$$ and compliments.

In the end 50% of the privates parents left the team when they aged out + the new coach made it clear that privates with the coach wouldn't happen anymore. Is that a normal level attrition? Don't really know. But I do know that privates with players caused all kinds of problems with parents.
If you want to be your best, you need to train with the best and by the best private trainer out there and that could be the the coach as well. If you want to beat out the rest of the best on da team & make sure you start all the time or at least start 25% of the time, well, you need to pay a little extra, for the extra training to guarantee the play time. I know one of the best Coaches in the game that is the best with the trifecta for coaching youth soccer. Club fees/Per Diem (Unlimited Roster Spots) and Private Training Revenue. I have no problem with it now by the way. It's out in the open for all to see and within the rules of the game. I hated it because I had no extra $$$ to play, pay to play and my kid was super small, puny and was never going to grow up to be a top player in Socal. She was all dried up by the time she was 13. Good luck you guys with your player(s).

Sorry, this was a typo. I meant "who play with the team players".

Back