Surf ENCL vs. Slammers Koge

Owner funding and player development money are separate and distinct. Obviously, one is money for owners and the other is money for players.
From the article, US soccer has spent $20M on NWSL since 2013, spends $1M annually to run it and $1.7M to subsidize salaries. I think any rational read of that is that US soccer has spent millions funding the development of the female game in the US. It may not be where you want them to spend it, but that's immaterial. US teams cares about the NTs, youth and senior, not the youth game except indirectly. So they care about the 0.01% or something like that.

The path to a NT spot is via the national pyramid in every country. You start at the bottom and work your way up. If you are good enough, you will be spotted / scouted by a better team and/or get opportunities. In the US the best players play in the best leagues (locally), which generally on the girls side is ECNL or GAL - there may be an odd state that doesn't offer that. US soccer have local scouts but they can't practically get to every game, so they will hit the big ones and rely on their local network for players to watch etc. To evaluate a player, you need to see them against the best talent available, so for girls that would be ECNL or GAL.

If you want to be outside that, then that's your call, but don't complain if that closes doors because you are closing them, not anyone else.

From the article, US soccer has spent $20M on NWSL since 2013, spends $1M annually to run it and $1.7M to subsidize salaries. I think any rational read of that is that US soccer has spent millions funding the development of the female game in the US. It may not be where you want them to spend it, but that's immaterial. US teams cares about the NTs, youth and senior, not the youth game except indirectly. So they care about the 0.01% or something like that.

The path to a NT spot is via the national pyramid in every country. You start at the bottom and work your way up. If you are good enough, you will be spotted / scouted by a better team and/or get opportunities. In the US the best players play in the best leagues (locally), which generally on the girls side is ECNL or GAL - there may be an odd state that doesn't offer that. US soccer have local scouts but they can't practically get to every game, so they will hit the big ones and rely on their local network for players to watch etc. To evaluate a player, you need to see them against the best talent available, so for girls that would be ECNL or GAL.

If you want to be outside that, then that's your call, but don't complain if that closes doors because you are closing them, not anyone else.

"the best players play in the best leagues" is not always true.

"the best players play in the best leagues" is not always true.
True, but it is more true than not. On the girls side in particular, a girl with talent and a potential for a college scholarship (title IX blah blah) should play in the best league for the max exposure and the most potential gain. You can try outside that, but that's a harder path. Some might choose a harder path, but shouldn't complain if its harder, 'cos ...

How much have they spent on MLS?

One more thing…none of this relevant; your analysis is a total red herring!

Please restrict your analysis to the fuckton of money the Nike/Adidas has contributed to Project 40 and Generation Adidas; how much of this pot of money have females received?

True, but it is more true than not. On the girls side in particular, a girl with talent and a potential for a college scholarship (title IX blah blah) should play in the best league for the max exposure and the most potential gain. You can try outside that, but that's a harder path. Some might choose a harder path, but shouldn't complain if its harder, 'cos ...

That inevitably screens out good players who cannot afford (money and/or logistics) to hook up with the best leagues.

One more thing…none of this relevant; your analysis is a total red herring!

Please restrict your analysis to the fuckton of money the Nike/Adidas has contributed to Project 40 and Generation Adidas; how much of this pot of money have females received?
Why would I restrict myself? Feel free to provide the breakdown you obviously have an issue with.

That inevitably screens out good players who cannot afford (money and/or logistics) to hook up with the best leagues.
Sure, but clubs offer scholarships and if a player is exceptional, they will find a way to get them on teams. If they are good, but no better than an existing paying player, then they lose out. FWIW I think the $ / P2P system in youth soccer is crap, but its not going to change.

Why would I restrict myself? Feel free to provide the breakdown you obviously have an issue with.
There are different “pots” of money. The money that you are talking about comes from a separate and distinct pot. So, it’s not relevant to the discussion.

The only thing my complaint is concerned with is Nike/Adidas Project-40/Generation Adidas money given to federation for player development. From my accounting, females have not received one penny from this pot of money.

There are different “pots” of money. The money that you are talking about comes from a separate and distinct pot. So, it’s not relevant to the discussion.

The only thing my complaint is concerned with is Nike/Adidas Project-40/Generation Adidas money given to federation for player development. From my accounting, females have not received one penny from this pot of money.
So what! Your wiki link has MLS as part of the equation / program and that's a male league.

Sure, but clubs offer scholarships and if a player is exceptional, they will find a way to get them on teams. If they are good, but no better than an existing paying player, then they lose out. FWIW I think the $ / P2P system in youth soccer is crap, but its not going to change.

"they will find a way" is a fantasy landscape full of rainbows and pink sunsets.

Please share - it may have come from the USSF/SUM/MLS fund mind.
I have no idea. I have filed a complaint because it’s a clear as mud to me and I feel something ain’t right. I suspect USSF gave MLS waaaay more money than NWSL though.

"they will find a way" is a fantasy landscape full of rainbows and pink sunsets.
Not really, happens all the time. Clubs find ways to have unicorns/goats/whatever you want to call them, play on their teams. Will some of the aformentioned get missed..sure. But many wind up playing. The P2P community can absorb the possible extra cost to win more games.

On the boys side, hopefully the MLS can deliver on the MLS Next venture.

Not really, happens all the time. Clubs find ways to have unicorns/goats/whatever you want to call them, play on their teams. Will some of the aformentioned get missed..sure. But many wind up playing. The P2P community can absorb the possible extra cost to win more games.

On the boys side, hopefully the MLS can deliver on the MLS Next venture.
Your analysis doesn’t account for those that “get lost in the sauce” never to be found again. Sir, you are only looking at one side of the coin.

Your analysis doesn’t account for those that “get lost in the sauce” never to be found again. Sir, you are only looking at one side of the coin.
Misrepresentation of my post. I didn't analyze anything and admitted that some if not many will get "lost in the sauce". Happens in every youth sport. There's never been a neat and packaged pipeline for talent.

Besides, you don't really wan to listen to anyone. Plenty of folks on here with YNT/League/Scout/development experience. My oldest went through the system, bounced back and forth, worked her butt off. She came out the other end of the funnel rewarded with a P5 school, NT callups but not one NT appearance. Bottom line is she wasn't good enough or she wasn't what they were looking for at the moment. She's fine with that.

What you are trying to get answers for is a vague and muddy subject at best. So much subjectivity involved. Luck, talent, connections, timing, character, personality - it all matters. The algorithm isn't clear and will never likely be clear. You should have taken my advice and trekked down to Carson yesterday. The entire YNT staff was in attendance. I heard it was a good day for some players, not so good for others. Kinda how it goes.

Misrepresentation of my post. I didn't analyze anything and admitted that some if not many will get "lost in the sauce". Happens in every youth sport. There's never been a neat and packaged pipeline for talent.

Besides, you don't really wan to listen to anyone. Plenty of folks on here with YNT/League/Scout/development experience. My oldest went through the system, bounced back and forth, worked her butt off. She came out the other end of the funnel rewarded with a P5 school, NT callups but not one NT appearance. Bottom line is she wasn't good enough or she wasn't what they were looking for at the moment. She's fine with that.

What you are trying to get answers for is a vague and muddy subject at best. So much subjectivity involved. Luck, talent, connections, timing, character, personality - it all matters. The algorithm isn't clear and will never likely be clear. You should have taken my advice and trekked down to Carson yesterday. The entire YNT staff was in attendance. I heard it was a good day for some players, not so good for others. Kinda how it goes.
You minimized the experience of those that are failed by the system while at the same time, exaggerating how good of a job the system does at helping those in need.

Back