Surf Cup

Sorry, but welcome to the ignore club! Switching the field to the wing and/or hitting the 9 up top is not just booting the ball. Clearing the ball out of the box is how you avoid getting scored on. Sorry, but enough with idiocy here! Go sell your boys clubs to whoever else will listen! Just do me one favor and build the men's team to the point where they can actually play in the olympics!
My daughter once played for a futsal team that put "pretty" skills above scoring. They lost to a flight 2 field team in a gymnasium. It was as emberassing as could be seeing girls that couldn't make the teams we played on the field beat us in a gymnasium to try and look pretty. Sorry, but I don't care how it looks. I care how effective your skills are when pressured!

I'm starting to feel like "we play possession soccer" is an excuse for losing. Which clubs play pretty soccer against strong defensive teams in a crowded 9v9 field? If you aren't possessing much of the soccer ball and can't connect passes due to pressure, are you really playing posssession soccer? Or is just the act of trying to pass possession style soccer now?
If you are playing and under intense pressure and not able to connect passes, you are playing at the wrong level. One of the most difficult aspects of prioritizing possession soccer development with the appropriate amount of pressure is getting parents to buy in for longer than a season. The pressure of winning gets in the way of giving kids valuable repetitions of trying to control the ball, decision making, and connecting passes under pressure in my opinion.

If you are playing and under intense pressure and not able to connect passes, you are playing at the wrong level. One of the most difficult aspects of prioritizing possession soccer development with the appropriate amount of pressure is getting parents to buy in for longer than a season. The pressure of winning gets in the way of giving kids valuable repetitions of trying to control the ball, decision making, and connecting passes under pressure in my opinion.
I respectfully disagree. Considering blues and slammers had trouble connecting passes against each other, by your argument they shouldn't be playing with each other. See how that doesn't make sense? They can't both be out of each other's level.

I think the athleticism(Defense) of flight 1 girls at this age is superior to the technical level of the girls individually as well as the passing ability of these teams. As they continue to develop (and the field gets bigger) the individual skills and passing ability will match if not surpass the athleticism that these top teams have. Once that happens, you'll see who the true possession style teams are, and not just the ones that claim to be. Like I said before, I think every coach claims to be a possession style coach who focuses on developing players. I dont know of any coach that openly says their strategy is kickball. And to those that claim to play possession style soccer but lose by like 5+ goals, you aren't playing pretty soccer, that's when you know you are at the wrong level.

This is one of the best examples of how power soccer is beaten with the Spanish style of building from the back and passing. “Death by passing” as one of the announcers says.

I like your attention to details bimmer. A coach has to use his resources to the best of his abilities with the styles he knows imo. With 10 year old girls just imagine that complexity, but I think you already do and work with them. Am I wrong?
[/QUOTE]

Thank you, but I am not a coach, just a parent who watches for details that I feel are relative to the players abilities and skill level. I think at the age of 10 the game must remain as simple as possible. Two things that I feel are super important for this age, are receiving the ball with the backfoot and having the girls play with their head up.

There are of course other building blocks that continue from there (first touch, body profile, etc.) but the first 2 concepts are the corner stones that I look for them and judge players by it. I laugh and shake my head as to how impressed I was when I saw U6-8 players who had a "big kick." I was very ignorant to this game.

[QUOTE="Bimmerdep, post: 402148, member: 6164"
I like your attention to details bimmer. A coach has to use his resources to the best of his abilities with the styles he knows imo. With 10 year old girls just imagine that complexity, but I think you already do and work with them. Am I wrong?
[/QUOTE]

Thank you, but I am not a coach, just a parent who watches for details that I feel are relative to the players abilities and skill level. I think at the age of 10 the game must remain as simple as possible. Two things that I feel are super important for this age, are receiving the ball with the backfoot and having the girls play with their head up.

There are of course other building blocks that continue from there (first touch, body profile, etc.) but the first 2 concepts are the corner stones that I look for them and judge players by it. I laugh and shake my head as to how impressed I was when I saw U6-8 players who had a "big kick." I was very ignorant to this game.
[/QUOTE]

I agree. They will pick up the other development some of these people keep preaching to the choir about. No one is saying to just kick it, but it takes a player to find and the one passing to connect. As the anticipation, finding, and connection come together, they learn to move, get open, and connect. When they all learn this and can constantly create an open player and dribble out of pressure, it's a beautiful game. Most of these girls are learning all the basic instincts to do this and will develop this. They still miskick, put too much weight on passes, shoot over the goal box 10 feet away, make heavy first touches, etc. Some of the expectations in here make me laugh! Not saying they won't get there soon, but they are 10.

There is so much irony in here. The most joysticking, yelling coaching I've ever seen was at Futsal. 100% possession style futsal. These coaches joysticked more than any coach I've ever seen and they yelled a lot. I'm not opposed to tough coaching, but my daughter absolutely hated it. She would quit soccer completely if I made her stay there. She was not alone by any stretch! It's a great skill, but I think a lot of the opinions here stem from this crowd.

Soccer is different than futsal and while it can give advantages with touch and dribbling out of pressure, there are enormously more factors involved. This discussion made me think back, because athleticism was the excuse for some of their team's losses and that was on a gym floor not a field. My point is the hypocrisy of winning not mattering supposedly. Ohhhhhh, it mattered big time at these events. This crowd may not look at field soccer tournaments the same way they do at futsal tournaments.

The irony is how many girls in that final played on a futsal team that just had a big international tournament! This supposedly "ugly" kickball game was brought to you by many girls that were in that tournament. My point is the one that others have made and we keep making. Some teams can force you into "kickball" or a loss. Neither team wanted to lose that day even though many of the girls play futsal? Of course, some will blame club coaches, winning, etc., but understand that these same futsal teams are 100% devoted to winning at scrimmages and at tournaments just like field soccer. People really make me laugh!

There is so much irony in here. The most joysticking, yelling coaching I've ever seen was at Futsal. 100% possession style futsal. These coaches joysticked more than any coach I've ever seen and they yelled a lot. I'm not opposed to tough coaching, but my daughter absolutely hated it. She would quit soccer completely if I made her stay there. She was not alone by any stretch! It's a great skill, but I think a lot of the opinions here stem from this crowd.

Soccer is different than futsal and while it can give advantages with touch and dribbling out of pressure, there are enormously more factors involved. This discussion made me think back, because athleticism was the excuse for some of their team's losses and that was on a gym floor not a field. My point is the hypocrisy of winning not mattering supposedly. Ohhhhhh, it mattered big time at these events. This crowd may not look at field soccer tournaments the same way they do at futsal tournaments.

The irony is how many girls in that final played on a futsal team that just had a big international tournament! This supposedly "ugly" kickball game was brought to you by many girls that were in that tournament. My point is the one that others have made and we keep making. Some teams can force you into "kickball" or a loss. Neither team wanted to lose that day even though many of the girls play futsal? Of course, some will blame club coaches, winning, etc., but understand that these same futsal teams are 100% devoted to winning at scrimmages and at tournaments just like field soccer. People really make me laugh!

So "more athletic" is the reason for a loss in futsal and "development" is the reason for a loss in field soccer. I think you can live in both worlds and futsal is awesome for touch and passing, but don't forget that field soccer is different in so many ways except that most people and coaches always aim to win regardless what they say.

I get so annoyed watching surf play the holier than thou development card when i watch them roll out the ball the left side and try to play it up the left sideline for the 13th time in a row when that move was cut off after the 3rd time. Thats blind ignorance one dimensional soccer not pretty soccer and I've got to believe incredibly frustrating for the girls who ive watched struggle to get the ball over midfield against a quality opponent on the big field. Some nice passes connected in the face of the inevitable high press but no creativity, no adaptive play ...

Back