Surf Cup

Tophat out of Atlanta is a great club, girls only club at (least they were when my sister played for them in the 90s )

no idea how good this 2011 team is , but my guess is that they have played this Solar team before

schedules out! Exciting outcome to see some of the best 2011 squads join!
It's a shame SC Blues Sarabia is in the Super Black group. They made the semi-final of Surf Cup Arizona and have a nice resume since Fall 2020 holding their own against more than a few of the teams in the Best of the Best group. Win the Super Black and next year they can't be denied.
Does Surf only take the 1st team from a club regardless of the merits of the 2nd team? SC Blues 2nd team has beaten numerous club's 1st teams leading up to Surf Cup.

It's a shame SC Blues Sarabia is in the Super Black group. They made the semi-final of Surf Cup Arizona and have a nice resume since Fall 2020 holding their own against more than a few of the teams in the Best of the Best group. Win the Super Black and next year they can't be denied.
Does Surf only take the 1st team from a club regardless of the merits of the 2nd team? SC Blues 2nd team has beaten numerous club's 1st teams leading up to Surf Cup.

There is no logical reason for Sarabia's Blues to not be in the best of the best. Legit competition!

Sarabia could’ve easily replaced other teams from “best of the best” group but unfortunately, we don’t have any saying. Something tells me CDA Slammers Cruz also didn’t have a choice as we always see Cruz and Sarabia compete top teams. My guess… Surf made these decisions based on the out of state teams joining the tournament. But, don’t underestimate the Super Black group. Teams from out of state are coming to Cali to represent… not just to spent over 2k to see their team get blown out. I’ll be cheering for the SoCal teams. Represent strong young ballers!

Best of the Best
Group A

[1] SoCal Blues 2011 SC Blues Mulligan-Rennie (CalSouth)
[Unranked] Washington Premier FC Washington Premier FC G11 A (Washington)
[28] City SC Carlsbad City SC G2011 Pre Academy Walker (CalSouth)
[18] Legends FC Girls U10 LEGENDS FC G2011 (CalSouth)

Group B
[55] San Diego Surf Academy Select 2011 (CalSouth)
[Unranked] Eastside FC Eastside FC G11 (Washington)
[53] NTH-Tophat NTH-Tophat 2011 Gold (Georgia)
[6] Mustang Soccer Club Girls 2011 Elite (CalNorth)

Group C
[13] CDA Slammers FC CDA Slammers FC HB G11 Elite Crowley (CalSouth)
[Unranked] Crossfire Premier G11 A (Washington)
[83] Rebels Soccer Club Rebels G11 Elite (CalSouth)
[48] Eagles G2011 Jubilee (CalSouth)

Group D
[2] Solar Soccer Club Solar 2011 Shepard (Texas)
[73] Heat FC Heat FC 2011 GC (Nevada)
[Unranked] Slammers FC Slammers FC G2011 JB (CalSouth)
[117] Sporting California Arsenal Sporting California Arsenal Pre ECNL 2011 (CalSouth)

Group A: Blues
Group B: Mustang
Group C: Slammers
Group D: Solar

Semifinal: Solar over Blues
Semifinal: Slammers over Mustang

Final: Solar over Slammers

Super Black
Group A

[276] NTH-TOPHAT NTH-Tophat 2011 Gold II (Georgia)
[Unranked] ISC Gunners ISC Gunners G11A (Washington)
[206] Pleasanton Rage 2011 Elite (CalNorth)
[565] San Diego Surf Academy 2011 (CalSouth)

Group B
[98] MVLA Madrid Blue (CalNorth)
[377] SDSC SURF SDSC NAVY PRE-GA (CalSouth)
[152] Beach FC Beach FC SB G11 Diaz (CalSouth)
[145] CDA Slammers FC CDA Slammers FC G11 Cruz (CalSouth)

Group C
[67] California Odyssey Soccer Club COSC 11G Red (CalNorth)
[Unranked] Seattle United G11 Copa (Washington)
[49] San Juan Soccer Club Spirits 2011 Blue (CalNorth)
[222] Albion SC Academy - Whittaker (CalSouth)

Group D
[34] So Cal Blues G2011 So Cal Blues Sarabia (CalSouth)
[170] Utah Soccer Alliance USA Premier 11G - KL (Utah)
[1058] MVLA Soccer Club 11G Madrid White (CalNorth)
[236] SD Force FC G2011 Academy - Wallace (CalSouth)

Group A: Gunners
Group B: MVLA
Group C: SJSC Spirits
Group D: Blues

Semifinal: Blues over Gunners
Semifinal: SJSC Spirits over MVLA

Final: Blues over SJSC Spirits

Surf Cup was a great venue! I saw a lot of 2011 girl's teams play. All of those mentioned in here along with Legends were impressive. One team really stood out to me though, because I've seen their 1 year older team and I see the vision with the club with what I saw. They did not make the finals and you don't hear a lot about them.

San Diego Surf impressed me a lot. Possession style passing that may have cost some goals, because they are still developing it. Their 2010's just show where they will be though. I'm impressed by the devotion to control the ball before the desire to win. I hate losing more than I like winning, but hats off to those girls who were a joy to watch.

The final Blue's Victory over the HB Slammers was a battle. Grit and grind in every direction. Not pretty like Surf, but grit and grind can be very effective. Really hard, good soccer without drama and/or bad behavior. Great scene across the board imo!

Blues/Slammers HB final was an ugly game of kickball. The funny part is that parents barely clapped at the final whistle (maybe because it was such an ugly game?). A lot of talent between those two teams and was disappointing not being able to watch their full skill on display.

Blues/Slammers HB final was an ugly game of kickball. The funny part is that parents barely clapped at the final whistle (maybe because it was such an ugly game?). A lot of talent between those two teams and was disappointing not being able to watch their full skill on display.
I heard the same thing from another parent who was there.

At this age level, there is always some degree of kick ball and semis and finals are played differently. Some teams like HB Slammers play the long ball, because they have fast feet and solid defense.

The Blues and the Slammers HB have very athletic, fast, and aggressive players, so the instincts, style, and strategy are designed to win especially in the finals and semis. I don't find it disappointing in the least. Pressure and power can disrupt organized play pretty quick. I find it just different, because you can find moments with good passing and possession.

I do appreciate teams that focus on style and possession, but every team also wants to be accepted to tournaments and win. I'd rather win ugly than lose pretty any day, but as a spectator, It's nice to see pretty soccer.

Surf Cup was a great venue! I saw a lot of 2011 girl's teams play. All of those mentioned in here along with Legends were impressive. One team really stood out to me though, because I've seen their 1 year older team and I see the vision with the club with what I saw. They did not make the finals and you don't hear a lot about them.

San Diego Surf impressed me a lot. Possession style passing that may have cost some goals, because they are still developing it. Their 2010's just show where they will be though. I'm impressed by the devotion to control the ball before the desire to win. I hate losing more than I like winning, but hats off to those girls who were a joy to watch.

The final Blue's Victory over the HB Slammers was a battle. Grit and grind in every direction. Not pretty like Surf, but grit and grind can be very effective. Really hard, good soccer without drama and/or bad behavior. Great scene across the board imo!
Great to hear there are clubs out there who are trying to keep the beautiful game beautiful. Once they develop the skill set it is a formidable style. I enjoy seeing the kids play with their head up, not just running down the sideline for twenty yards bypassing teammates in an attempt to get into the box to take a shot.

On a side note, Solar from Texas brought a strong team but in my opinion lacked creativity. Big, tall and fast at the top... send it to her... hope she scores. Once they reached the semis they found themselves face to face with defenders that were equally fast, and aggressive resulting in a scoring shut down. Congratulations to Blues for being "Best of the Best" (among the teams accepted of course).

Great to hear there are clubs out there who are trying to keep the beautiful game beautiful. Once they develop the skill set it is a formidable style. I enjoy seeing the kids play with their head up, not just running down the sideline for twenty yards bypassing teammates in an attempt to get into the box to take a shot.

On a side note, Solar from Texas brought a strong team but in my opinion lacked creativity. Big, tall and fast at the top... send it to her... hope she scores. Once they reached the semis they found themselves face to face with defenders that were equally fast, and aggressive resulting in a scoring shut down. Congratulations to Blues for being "Best of the Best" (among the teams accepted of course).
o_O

No worries, you can always join Blues Cup. Both teams will be there to compete! Hopefully our little ones don’t disappoint you there as well.

No worries, you can always join Blues Cup. Both teams will be there to compete! Hopefully our little ones don’t disappoint you there as well.

Yeah, I saw plenty of speed, power, and skill at The Blue's - Slammer's final. I also saw plenty of hard pressed challenge on the ball all over the field.

Long balls take incredible skill to settle or one touch deflect away from the goal or kick out to a forward player. Wait til headers come in the picture!

Both of these teams have firepower, but The Blue's Girls especially can shoot outside the box with power and precision. You want to compete with the Blues then you better clear the ball around your box. They did the same against The Slammers who have incredible grit. There is strategy involved to win and rankings are starting to show up for these ages. Winning matters.

I just meant to applaud The girls at The San Diego Surf. In no way should anyone be disappointed with the Blues, The Slammers, or any other team. The rough draw was for The Legends who had to face the Blues in pool play imo, but at least they got to the big show unlike other high quality teams.

I will leave with a positive note here. We are extremely fortunate to have the best competition in the country right here at home. I have met a lot of very cool, passionate parents who have become good friends now. I love seeing all these girls grow, develop, and show good sportsmanship. This is shaping their passion and love for the sport. I love it!

Yeah, I saw plenty of speed, power, and skill at The Blue's - Slammer's final. I also saw plenty of hard pressed challenge on the ball all over the field.

Long balls take incredible skill to settle or one touch deflect away from the goal or kick out to a forward player. Wait til headers come in the picture!

Both of these teams have firepower, but The Blue's Girls especially can shoot outside the box with power and precision. You want to compete with the Blues then you better clear the ball around your box. They did the same against The Slammers who have incredible grit. There is strategy involved to win and rankings are starting to show up for these ages. Winning matters.

I just meant to applaud The girls at The San Diego Surf. In no way should anyone be disappointed with the Blues, The Slammers, or any other team. The rough draw was for The Legends who had to face the Blues in pool play imo, but at least they got to the big show unlike other high quality teams.

I will leave with a positive note here. We are extremely fortunate to have the best competition in the country right here at home. I have met a lot of very cool, passionate parents who have become good friends now. I love seeing all these girls grow, develop, and show good sportsmanship. This is shaping their passion and love for the sport. I love it!

I love watching pretty soccer, but you have to put the ball in the net to score a goal and you have to prevent the other team from putting one in your net to win. There is no third score for artistic skill.

I love watching pretty soccer, but you have to put the ball in the net to score a goal and you have to prevent the other team from putting one in your net to win. There is no third score for artistic skill.
I agree, if you can play pretty soccer and win, good on you, but good, tough, fast teams (with skill) like Blues Mulligan/Rennie and Slammers HB Crowley can make good teams look mediocre pretty quickly. In a Surf Cup final where you have the defending champs in Slammers HB and the favorites in Blues Mulligan going toe to toe you can't ask for much more. Both teams were looking for a result and to win the cup in that game. Give both teams credit for making the other "not look pretty". I'll tell you what though, both those teams compete as hard as any around and won't back down to anybody. For all the talent and skill that those teams possess, their greatest quality is their toughness, grit, and competitive spirit and I'm sure that was on full display in the final.

"Rainbow Unicorn" Calling the game ugly was a bit harsh. Hard fought, gritty and defensive would be more accurate. These two teams know each other fairly well and have grown used to facing off in the finals. The 9v9 aspect has definitely added to the intensity.

I have stuck around to watch and none of their games have ever been disappointing. What I really would like to see is other teams challenge for the top spots. Hopefully Blues Cup will give us a different final four, and final.

Back