So Cal Soccer Leagues 2020-2021

15CFE2CC-6388-4AC0-AABE-E7360C24C792.jpegI took some time to make a de facto list of how the pyramid may look for the upcoming season. This is MY discretion and I’ll be explaining the reasons for why I picked it like this. I like to brag to people that I’m extremely knowledgeable when it comes to youth & adult soccer even though nobody knows who I am. US Soccer sanctions themselves, US Youth Soccer & US Club Soccer to run the sport in the country.US Soccer’s MLS-EYDP will in theory be the best league and under it will be the Elite Academy League where most of the MLS-EYDP B teams will go.US Club Soccer will have the ECNL at the top with the ECRL under it (don’t have to state why since it’s obvious). In think ECRL teams will not compete in the USCS National Championships, so the NPL West will be the tier below because the team list shows clubs who already have an ECNL/ECRL team. Other clubs in the NPL West will field their A or B team so this league is going to be mixed. The So Cal NPL & Southwest NPL leagues fall a tier below NPL West due to the number of slots each league offers to the USCS National Championships.
US Youth Soccer has their National League at the top with the Conferences falling a tier below. The Pacific Conference is the CRL (I know there are still parents who are confused about this). Cal South leagues are in the tiers below with Coast, SCDSL, & Presidio being the biggest 3 leagues in my opinion.
The list was with the tiers going down not sideways so for example I don’t think the EA League is the same level as the ECRL. Leagues are subjective and there will be good and bad teams in every single league, in every single bracket, and every season because that’s how the sport is, it’s unpredictable.

The list was with the tiers going down not sideways so for example I don’t think the EA League is the same level as the ECRL. Leagues are subjective and there will be good and bad teams in every single league, in every single bracket, and every season because that’s how the sport is, it’s unpredictable.

How many of these will survive after there's no soccer until Q1/2021?

" I like to brag to people that I’m extremely knowledgeable"

So show it.
You’re probably an angry parent who got mad that maybe your league isn’t where you thought it was on the pyramid lol. I’m only 24, grew up in the club system, run my own soccer club by my self so i actually DO know also know well enough that I educate parents on not falling for marketing ploys. Like how Santa Monica Surf stated that the “EA League is the old version of the DA” for example. Or how a team in Coast called Academia Futbol Central LA brag about how they go to the MIC Cup in Spain every year but don’t tell people they’re a silver level club and they lose all 3 games in the group stage usually every year.

You’re probably an angry parent who got mad that maybe your league isn’t where you thought it was on the pyramid lol. I’m only 24, grew up in the club system, run my own soccer club by my self so i actually DO know also know well enough that I educate parents on not falling for marketing ploys. Like how Santa Monica Surf stated that the “EA League is the old version of the DA” for example. Or how a team in Coast called Academia Futbol Central LA brag about how they go to the MIC Cup in Spain every year but don’t tell people they’re a silver level club and they lose all 3 games in the group stage usually every year.
Espola doesnt have a kid that plays youth soccer, he's just a creepy old dude that lurks in forums about kids. ignore him.

View attachment 8558I took some time to make a de facto list of how the pyramid may look for the upcoming season. This is MY discretion and I’ll be explaining the reasons for why I picked it like this. I like to brag to people that I’m extremely knowledgeable when it comes to youth & adult soccer even though nobody knows who I am. US Soccer sanctions themselves, US Youth Soccer & US Club Soccer to run the sport in the country.US Soccer’s MLS-EYDP will in theory be the best league and under it will be the Elite Academy League where most of the MLS-EYDP B teams will go.US Club Soccer will have the ECNL at the top with the ECRL under it (don’t have to state why since it’s obvious). In think ECRL teams will not compete in the USCS National Championships, so the NPL West will be the tier below because the team list shows clubs who already have an ECNL/ECRL team. Other clubs in the NPL West will field their A or B team so this league is going to be mixed. The So Cal NPL & Southwest NPL leagues fall a tier below NPL West due to the number of slots each league offers to the USCS National Championships.
US Youth Soccer has their National League at the top with the Conferences falling a tier below. The Pacific Conference is the CRL (I know there are still parents who are confused about this). Cal South leagues are in the tiers below with Coast, SCDSL, & Presidio being the biggest 3 leagues in my opinion.
someone who is extremely knowledgeable should know that there is a difference between boys leagues and girls leagues. you have boys ecnl and girls ecrl under them. doesn’t seem like you are very good with details my friends. i know it’s just your opinion but perhaps you can learn something from espola.

someone who is extremely knowledgeable should know that there is a difference between boys leagues and girls leagues. you have boys ecnl and girls ecrl under them. doesn’t seem like you are very good with details my friends. i know it’s just your opinion but perhaps you can learn something from espola.

I'm still ready to learn something from someone who is "extremely knowledgable".

One thing I am sure we would all like to learn is what club he is from.

Was your playing time before the publication of all the warnings about concussions?

You do know there’s no Boys ECRL logo out at the moment right? So I thought folks were smart enough to see girls ECNL logo is just a placeholder, unfortunately you didn’t.

I'm still ready to learn something from someone who is "extremely knowledgable".

One thing I am sure we would all like to learn is what club he is from.
Don’t worry about what club I’m from all you should know is I started my own to avoid all the politics that go on with other organizations. Successful
How many of these will survive after there's no soccer until Q1/2021?
I think the majority of them will stay afloat because for the most part they’re closed leagues so it’s easier to get organized with the DOCs and make something happen.

You do know there’s no Boys ECRL logo out at the moment right? So I thought folks were smart enough to see girls ECNL logo is just a placeholder, unfortunately you didn’t.

I admit there is a lot of aggressive attitude expressed in this forum probably because many posters feel safe hiding behind anonymity, but you will go a lot further in building your reputation here if you don't look at every conversation as an argument.

I will withhold further judgments about you until I see your response.

I admit there is a lot of aggressive attitude expressed in this forum probably because many posters feel safe hiding behind anonymity, but you will go a lot further in building your reputation here if you don't look at every conversation as an argument.

I will withhold further judgments about you until I see your response.
I don’t get what you’re trying to say? You came at me first trying to make fun of me but when I’m rebutting and replying to why I made my list the way I did now I’m being aggressive? Lol Okay sounds legit

All of this is pretty speculative right now because of COVID, player movement (including out of soccer) and club shakeups. Having said that, here are a few observations:

- This is only about boys soccer. It's pretty obvious, but you don't say that explicitly. For girls, ECNL would be at the top and the Girls Academy would be the only possible competitor, but it's brand new and hard to say how many of the former DA players it retained. DPL is the league below GA.
- For most clubs, ECRL is a LOT weaker in boys than the original poster seemed to suggest. That's because Boys ECNL wasn't necessarily strong in some of these clubs last year and their second teams could be Flight 2 or Silver-level teams in some clubs.
- on the other hand, Boys ECNL generally will have wide variation in quality this year if we have any games. That's because some of the Boys ECNL teams are former DA teams (although some will be losing players to MLS league teams), while returning Boys ECNL teams have a wide range of quality depending upon age group, with the worst teams pretty weak, relatively speaking. From top to bottom the gap could be large.
- The Elite Academy teams could also have a pretty wide degree of quality. The ones that are not associated with a club that has an existing MLS team may actually be better than the second teams of the MLS clubs. It will likely be a wider degree of quality in EA than in ECRL. The top EA teams could be competitive in ECNL, but just weren't granted access as a club, while the bottom could be lower-tier ECRL quality.
- The Premier, Discovery, and even Gold/Championship levels of CSL and SCDSL will likely have teams that could beat teams in any of these leagues. This is particularly true for Premier, since CSL has some smaller clubs in LA and Southeast LA where the boys are very strong. Some or most of those teams could be in CRL too. Some of these teams (e.g., Paramount. Kickers, Laguna etc) are just as likely to feed players to LAFC/Galaxy as they are to any of the teams in-between and they can re-load when they lose players because their coaches are dedicated recruiters and know their neighborhoods better than anyone. There are also strong teams popping up from these areas all the time that are strong, often with an affiliation to a larger brand like TFA.

All of this is pretty speculative right now because of COVID, player movement (including out of soccer) and club shakeups. Having said that, here are a few observations:

- This is only about boys soccer. It's pretty obvious, but you don't say that explicitly. For girls, ECNL would be at the top and the Girls Academy would be the only possible competitor, but it's brand new and hard to say how many of the former DA players it retained. DPL is the league below GA.
- For most clubs, ECRL is a LOT weaker in boys than the original poster seemed to suggest. That's because Boys ECNL wasn't necessarily strong in some of these clubs last year and their second teams could be Flight 2 or Silver-level teams in some clubs.
- on the other hand, Boys ECNL generally will have wide variation in quality this year if we have any games. That's because some of the Boys ECNL teams are former DA teams (although some will be losing players to MLS league teams), while returning Boys ECNL teams have a wide range of quality depending upon age group, with the worst teams pretty weak, relatively speaking. From top to bottom the gap could be large.
- The Elite Academy teams could also have a pretty wide degree of quality. The ones that are not associated with a club that has an existing MLS team may actually be better than the second teams of the MLS clubs. It will likely be a wider degree of quality in EA than in ECRL. The top EA teams could be competitive in ECNL, but just weren't granted access as a club, while the bottom could be lower-tier ECRL quality.
- The Premier, Discovery, and even Gold/Championship levels of CSL and SCDSL will likely have teams that could beat teams in any of these leagues. This is particularly true for Premier, since CSL has some smaller clubs in LA and Southeast LA where the boys are very strong. Some or most of those teams could be in CRL too. Some of these teams (e.g., Paramount. Kickers, Laguna etc) are just as likely to feed players to LAFC/Galaxy as they are to any of the teams in-between and they can re-load when they lose players because their coaches are dedicated recruiters and know their neighborhoods better than anyone. There are also strong teams popping up from these areas all the time that are strong, often with an affiliation to a larger brand like TFA.
Very nice comprehensive summary. Yes this is just boys leagues I should’ve specified that. I’m not concerned about the girls that’s why since I dedicate my time to the boys & men’s side of the game but the girl’s pyramid is probably even more crazy than this!!

ok if that’s the only way your extremely knowledgeable mind could come up with to show that then you do you, my friend. i’m sure you’ll go far with that. how is your club doing by the way? are you at the top of the pyramid yet? you do know that’s not a pyramid that you’re showing, right? of course you do, my extremely knowledgeable friend.

ok if that’s the only way your extremely knowledgeable mind could come up with to show that then you do you, my friend. i’m sure you’ll go far with that. how is your club doing by the way? are you at the top of the pyramid yet? you do know that’s not a pyramid that you’re showing, right? of course you do, my extremely knowledgeable friend.
Lmao you’re actually making me laugh . My club is good by the way thanks for asking. We’re not looking to climb the pyramid we just play for fun, hopefully make a deep US Open Cup run when things go back to normal. It obviously isn’t a pyramid but you’re over here trolling by trying to be too literal it’s okay tho I guess people don’t have better things to do lol.

The only pyramid in youth soccer is a marketing one, all the League are jumbled and go sideways for the most part. All illusions and marketing for the most parts to make the parents feel better and open their checkbooks. Kids just want to play.

Doesn't matter what league, school, or program name you call it what matters is the coaching, training, playing, and development that each player should be getting. A development pyramid would be more appropriate. Leagues don't develop players.

If you want to talk pro or semi yeah there is some resemblance of a pyramid but it has more to do with economics vs level of comptance. When there is true promotion/regulation maybe us soccer will have a real pyramid until they we have closed self serving leagues where economics drives the bus.

Conclusión: someone puts the list of all the youth organizations with some form of unscientific ranking and others get their feelings hurt because their club is at the bottom? Just put your ranking to see how it stacks up.

Back