San Diego Section DI Power rankings

San Diego Section sets up its DI playoffs by selecting the top 8 teams in the Power Rankings to compete in the Open Divisio, and the remaining 12 in a DI Playoff. There are only a couple of weeks left, so things are heading down to the wire.

Boys side --

1674859342546.png

1674859389661.png

Can someone explain to me why some schools have a much better record but are ranked much lower than others? For example on the girls side Del Norte has a better record than Westview but Westview is ranked higher. And poway's record is much worse than rancho Bernardo's but yet Poway is higher? This is our first year playing high school soccer and I don't understand how rankings works. So basically everybody makes the playoffs? Can you post the link for these?

Can someone explain to me why some schools have a much better record but are ranked much lower than others? For example on the girls side Del Norte has a better record than Westview but Westview is ranked higher. And poway's record is much worse than rancho Bernardo's but yet Poway is higher? This is our first year playing high school soccer and I don't understand how rankings works. So basically everybody makes the playoffs? Can you post the link for these?
The San Diego Section Power Rankings system assigns a point value to each game played, and the ranking is the average of those points over the season. The most points available for a game is 50 (for a win against a D I team with a 75% or better record) and the least is 34 ( for a loss against a D V team with a record below 25%).

As for "everybody makes the playoffs", that is only true in D I, which splits the 20 teams into an 8-team Open playoff and a 12-team D I playoff. For the lower divisions, usually only the top 12 teams in a division (out of the typical 20 teams in a division) make the playoffs, but there have been some 16-team playoffs and "playin" games added to 12-game playoffs in some divisions in recent history.

In my opinion, the most obnoxious point of the Power Rankings system is the practice of removing the rankings from the Section website on the day that the selection committee meets to lay out the playoff pairings and schedule. It's almost like they have something to hide.

Power Rankings - CIF San Diego Section (cifsds.org)

Division assignments available here --- Divisions - CIF San Diego Section (cifsds.org)

The San Diego Section Power Rankings system assigns a point value to each game played, and the ranking is the average of those points over the season. The most points available for a game is 50 (for a win against a D I team with a 75% or better record) and the least is 34 ( for a loss against a D V team with a record below 25%).

As for "everybody makes the playoffs", that is only true in D I, which splits the 20 teams into an 8-team Open playoff and a 12-team D I playoff. For the lower divisions, usually only the top 12 teams in a division (out of the typical 20 teams in a division) make the playoffs, but there have been some 16-team playoffs and "playin" games added to 12-game playoffs in some divisions in recent history.

In my opinion, the most obnoxious point of the Power Rankings system is the practice of removing the rankings from the Section website on the day that the selection committee meets to lay out the playoff pairings and schedule. It's almost like they have something to hide.

Power Rankings - CIF San Diego Section (cifsds.org)

Division assignments available here --- Divisions - CIF San Diego Section (cifsds.org)
Good information. Thank you. How does a school get dropped from D1 or promoted to D1?

Good information. Thank you. How does a school get dropped from D1 or promoted to D1?
At the end of each season, all teams are ranked in order by some algorithm -- it used to be the Maxpreps rankings, but they may be using the Section's Power Rankings by now. Each team's performance is computed over the last few years (3 or 5, I don't remember which) more heavily weighted toward the most recent years. The teams with the lowest scores (with 1 being the best possible) are placed in the upper divisions. There are some constraints, such as that a team cannot move up or down more than one division each year, and I believe teams can request or refuse a promotion in unusual circumstances (such as being a new school).

If you open the Divisions page linked above, you can see the ranks each team got after last season --

1675115460994.png

On the same page the Divisions are listed there is another tab named "worksheet." It shows the the past three years ranking results, and the percentage/formula used, somewhat. I believe the ranking is determined but the power rankings score as espola said. If you go to the power rankings page, and click on the teams schedule it will show all the points from the chart they use.

On the same page the Divisions are listed there is another tab named "worksheet." It shows the the past three years ranking results, and the percentage/formula used, somewhat. I believe the ranking is determined but the power rankings score as espola said. If you go to the power rankings page, and click on the teams schedule it will show all the points from the chart they use.
...and the worksheet also has the notes on why some teams swapped Divisions.

Who actually won the game between Del Norte and Westview on 1/18/23?

0E9C01A7-EB26-4F53-8249-C40BBAFA554C.jpeg
889CD609-530C-48A1-85B6-44AD286C9230.jpeg

Del Norte is killing it. Westview is still doing well despite the forfeits. Surprised to see Mt. Carmel doing so well too. Great for them. But on the flip side.. what happened to Poway?

With only a few games left, any predictions? I say Torrey Pines and Cathedral. Those two schools always have consistently strong programs.

With only a few games left, any predictions? I say Torrey Pines and Cathedral. Those two schools always have consistently strong programs.
Not only are they consistently strong, but they are also in the string along Del Mar Heights Rd of Torrey Pines, Cathedral, Canyon Crest which is less than 2 miles total distance.

The Maxpreps page shows two consecutive forfeits by Del Norte, so it smells like that.

View attachment 15537

Schedule - Del Norte Nighthawks (San Diego, CA) Girls Varsity Soccer 22-23 (maxpreps.com)
The Maxpreps page now shows 3 forfeits. In the Power Rankings Schedule page for those teams the games still show as wins for De Norte, and aso as 50-point wins for those 3 opponenets. I will run some rough numbers to see what the impact of converting those to losses would be on the standings. It is more than just dropping Del Norte a few spots, since changing their WLT record would make De Norte a less valuable opponent for every team that has played them.

1675441118245.png

The Maxpreps page now shows 3 forfeits. In the Power Rankings Schedule page for those teams the games still show as wins for De Norte, and aso as 50-point wins for those 3 opponenets. I will run some rough numbers to see what the impact of converting those to losses would be on the standings. It is more than just dropping Del Norte a few spots, since changing their WLT record would make De Norte a less valuable opponent for every team that has played them.

View attachment 15560
Wonder how this will affect the rankings
And how did they get into that mess in the first place?

Back