San Diego Section DI Power rankings

From what I've seen in my DD's points, it does change when the teams record changes and moves them into a new percentage level on the chart. I've seen the points from earlier in the season change on Ties we had earlier in the season. One score went up, one went down.
The Power Rankings are similar in intent to the NCAA RPI calculations, but with some differences. Awarding more points for opponents in the higher divisions tends to conserve the calculations from past years' performances, whereas the NCAA treats all opponents (200+ in both men and momen soccer) as essentially equal and just ignores contests against other opponents (D2, D3, or NAIA). I also don't think that the PR calculations are sophisticated enough to remove the impact of the game being measured (if you play a team that is right at 75% and beat them, that lowers their strength in the calculation, even though they are still at 75% against other opponents). There is also no Opponents Strength of Schedule factor.

The Power Rankings are similar in intent to the NCAA RPI calculations, but with some differences. Awarding more points for opponents in the higher divisions tends to conserve the calculations from past years' performances, whereas the NCAA treats all opponents (200+ in both men and momen soccer) as essentially equal and just ignores contests against other opponents (D2, D3, or NAIA). I also don't think that the PR calculations are sophisticated enough to remove the impact of the game being measured (if you play a team that is right at 75% and beat them, that lowers their strength in the calculation, even though they are still at 75% against other opponents). There is also no Opponents Strength of Schedule factor.

I have seen the points allocated in our PR change when teams records change from Level 2 to Level 3 or vise versa throughout the season. The Divisions points are obviously set for the season, but the teams Level is dependant on their win-loss record, the changes in points of early season games have corresponded to the teams change in the Level threshold throughout the season. Many of the teams we have played throughout the season have been moving back and forth across the 50% win-loss threshold throughout the season. So it does appear that it does impact the calculation of all games played during the season. It would not be difficult to to calculate, if they are using Excel, which it appears they do, the win-loss (Level Factor) formula (calculations) are automatic, and would recalculate every time you entered the results from the current weeks games. I'll know for sure at the end of this week. Six of the teams we played this season are teetering on the 50% win-loss mark and most are scheduled to play each other this week, so regardless of which team wins or loses, it's a no win situation for us, unless they all tie each other; three of them we played twice this season, so the results of this week will have a huge impact on the teams PR score. Two of the teams could move above the 75% Level, but not likely.

Should be rescinded, but won't be.
Del Norte hasn't lost a league game on the field. They're by far away the best team, proven by on-the-field results. They have taken care of business, both with or without the freshman (she sat out for 3 games).
Tough loss for DN last night against SM. (Did the freshman play?) They are teetering on the edge of Open Div playoffs. Why did CIF decide to keep the forfeits from earlier in the season if they decided to reinstate the player that caused them? Seems like CIF is sending mixed signals.

Tough loss for DN last night against SM. (Did the freshman play?) They are teetering on the edge of Open Div playoffs. Why did CIF decide to keep the forfeits from earlier in the season if they decided to reinstate the player that caused them? Seems like CIF is sending mixed signals.

I believe player eligibility can be restored within the season after a first offense once the player sits out the required number of contests based on the violation. A second offence carries a 1 year ineligibility status. From the outside looking in, it appears the player sat out the required number of games, and is now once again eligible; the team forfeited the contests in which the player was ineligible. The CIF and media statements that the player is now "reinstated" is probably purposefully vague to make it sound like they are now taking the high road, as this has media attention. While the reality is, the rules and consequences were enforced In Accordance With the Green Books black and white. The player was always going to be reinstated, as I assume as a Freshman, this is the first offence.

So the CIF San Diego Power Rankings updates seem odd to me. Maybe I am just impatient, but I can't help but feel suspicious when things appear to be inconsistent. It may just be that whoever inputs the numbers and updates the calculations doesn't do all the Divisions at the same time. What I am looking at is on the girls side. Last week El Camino's win-loss record went 8-2 (8/10=0.8=80%, I think this is right), moving them from a DII Level 2 team to a DII Level 1 team. As of today, none of the previous games points have been adjusted for any of the teams they have played. Yesterday, Del Lago Academy's win-loss record went 8-9 (8/17=0.47=47%), moving them from a DIV Level 2 team to a Level 3 team. First thing this morning, all the previous games points adjusted for all the teams they have this season. I would expect the results of last weeks inputs to the Power Rankings system to update prior to last nights inputs. Espola posted earlier, the data gets pulled off the site on 11Feb, so there is no way to verify all the data was updated correctly. The inconsistency of updates and effects makes me suspicious of the accuracy of the Power Rankings.

Can anyone post the link to the CIF SD Section Brackets?

In the Southern Section, Oaks upset Milliken, Mira Costa over Temecula Valley and Redondo Union over Huntington Beach last night.

I believe player eligibility can be restored within the season after a first offense once the player sits out the required number of contests based on the violation. A second offence carries a 1 year ineligibility status. From the outside looking in, it appears the player sat out the required number of games, and is now once again eligible; the team forfeited the contests in which the player was ineligible. The CIF and media statements that the player is now "reinstated" is probably purposefully vague to make it sound like they are now taking the high road, as this has media attention. While the reality is, the rules and consequences were enforced In Accordance With the Green Books black and white. The player was always going to be reinstated, as I assume as a Freshman, this is the first offence.
Ahhhh. So the news reports that their involvement helped get the player’s eligibility reinstated when it actually had no effect whatsoever? That’s super shady.

Maybe that news crew should dive deeper and ask why CIF has the rule in the first place. (Does anyone know?) I always assumed it was to prevent overtraining, but it seems to be overly restrictive if that was the intent.

So the CIF San Diego Power Rankings updates seem odd to me. Maybe I am just impatient, but I can't help but feel suspicious when things appear to be inconsistent. It may just be that whoever inputs the numbers and updates the calculations doesn't do all the Divisions at the same time. What I am looking at is on the girls side. Last week El Camino's win-loss record went 8-2 (8/10=0.8=80%, I think this is right), moving them from a DII Level 2 team to a DII Level 1 team. As of today, none of the previous games points have been adjusted for any of the teams they have played. Yesterday, Del Lago Academy's win-loss record went 8-9 (8/17=0.47=47%), moving them from a DIV Level 2 team to a Level 3 team. First thing this morning, all the previous games points adjusted for all the teams they have this season. I would expect the results of last weeks inputs to the Power Rankings system to update prior to last nights inputs. Espola posted earlier, the data gets pulled off the site on 11Feb, so there is no way to verify all the data was updated correctly. The inconsistency of updates and effects makes me suspicious of the accuracy of the Power Rankings.
So strange. I assumed the PR just ran off a database with calculations that were updated automatically when new data was entered. What else would “System Calculated” mean?

In order to verify the info is accurate (based on the point system they have published), you’d have to do a lot of drilling down into individual team results. (What a pain!)

Maybe we need to screen shot all of the data Friday night / before the site gets taken down to see how many back room deals are made on Saturday. Hahahaha

What I am looking at is on the girls side. Last week El Camino's win-loss record went 8-2 (8/10=0.8=80%, I think this is right), moving them from a DII Level 2 team to a DII Level 1 team. As of today, none of the previous games points have been adjusted for any of the teams they have played. Yesterday, Del Lago Academy's win-loss record went 8-9 (8/17=0.47=47%), moving them from a DIV Level 2 team to a Level 3 team. First thing this morning, all the previous games points adjusted for all the teams they have this season. I would expect the results of last weeks inputs to the Power Rankings system to update prior to last nights inputs. Espola posted earlier, the data gets pulled off the site on 11Feb, so there is no way to verify all the data was updated correctly. The inconsistency of updates and effects makes me suspicious of the accuracy of the Power Rankings.
How is win % calculated? MaxPreps shows El Camino at 8-2-5 with a 70.00 Win %. (Do tied games count as 1/2 a win maybe?)

Today's games, boys side --

#8 Rancho Bernardo at #1 San Dieguito Academy
#6 Del Norte at #2 San Pasqual
#15 Carlsbad at #7 Torrey Pines
#14 Coronado at #13 Point Loma
D3 #2 Bishop's at #20 Francis Parker
#8 Cathedral Catholic at #18 Canyon Crest

There is also a league game between Canyon Crest Academy and Oceanside that shows up on Maxpreps schedules as Oceanside winning 1-0 on Jan 19, but does not appear in the Power Rankings game schedules.

Today's games, boys side --

#8 Rancho Bernardo at #1 San Dieguito Academy
#6 Del Norte at #2 San Pasqual
#15 Carlsbad at #7 Torrey Pines
#14 Coronado at #13 Point Loma
D3 #2 Bishop's at #20 Francis Parker
#8 Cathedral Catholic at #18 Canyon Crest

There is also a league game between Canyon Crest Academy and Oceanside that shows up on Maxpreps schedules as Oceanside winning 1-0 on Jan 19, but does not appear in the Power Rankings game schedules.
Great minds think alike…. How do you find the Power Rankings game schedules? (I was checking in MaxPreps).

Great minds think alike…. How do you find the Power Rankings game schedules? (I was checking in MaxPreps).
On the right-hand side of the Power Rankings page, there is a "View Schedules" tab for each team that links to the games played and the point value assigned to each.

I hope to capture the rankings tonight after the last games have been reported and before they are taken down. I don't know how wide that time window will be.

On the right-hand side of the Power Rankings page, there is a "View Schedules" tab for each team that links to the games played and the point value assigned to each.

I hope to capture the rankings tonight after the last games have been reported and before they are taken down. I don't know how wide that time window will be.
When I click on the View Schedules links, they only show past games with results. The View Schedules pages don’t show future scheduled games for me. (I had to look in MaxPreps to find those.)

Back