Private coaching

I recall that there were a coupke discussions about private coaching on the old forums but don't recall all the different points. As a fairly bew club parent, I am curious when others feel private coaching is necesary or worth the expense. When should a parent mot look into this?

I have come to realize that more people do this than admit. I know some fanilies send their kids to the Catalyst Training Center prior to HS or new club tryouts, others find coaches to help hone skills. I understand it has much to do with personal prefferences, but what are your opinionsabout when and how much? How do you even go about finding someone if most families don't even want to admit is (so no recs).

I think it has a lot to do with the skill level of the player, what their soccer goals are (be a starter, just be a better player, play in college, etc.), and the families time and financial commitment. It also has to do with the ability of the trainer. My DD trained a couple times with some club coaches that had 10-12 girls out at a time and she got nothing out of it. That is just a coach trying to make some extra $$. Then she did 1-on-1 and 3-on-1 training and actually improved in all areas (speed, agility and skills). This is where the finances come in since 12 to 1 ratio was $15 per session and the 1-1 and 3-1 was $30 to $45 per session. My referee pay is what paid for her training. She still trains at Catalyst.

If you ask most parrents on your childs team they will tell you what private training their child is doing and with who. At younger ages, getting additional training on proper technique and more touches on the ball can be extremely helpful with your childs early developement to get them to a more competative level, (if they are trying to achieve that).. I recommend you ask Parrents who your child is already friends with if it would be possible to join in any privates or additional trainings their child may be taking part in., Odds are they would welcome it, as all younge players enjoy playing with there friends and Parrents like the discounted rate they will recieve by having one more attend the trainings. Try it out and measure the results for yourself. Ask the parents what results they have gotten.
In olders Its my opinoin, its very important to have some periodic private training/coaching. As most of us parents lack the ability and soccer knowledge necassary to properly assit in furthering our childs developement for them to achieve their goals. Very few of us parents can identiy and help them work on weaknesses and issues with their game as they get older..
Few thing i will say about privates is to shop around and look for someone who your child will work hard for, and who can connect and modivate your child. Also if your going to look to join with other players ensure thay are at or above your childs skill level. And lastly, be realistic on how much time and money you and your child are willing to invest before starting..
Private coaching isnt a must do, in my opinoin. It's like private tutoring in School, You have to look at your Child s level and what your child is looking to achieve.
My DD attends privates periodically , mostly because i lack the ability to instuct or assist her properly at her now level of play. And if my DD later is having trouble in her AP Calculus classes, ill be looking for a tutor and ill be asking parents if i can join with their Child to reduce the Cost of that.....

It sounds like you have a fairly young player. I think it's important that it still feels like fun for a young athlete.
If you are making them wake up at 6:00 am on a Sunday, they likely won't enjoy going. If you are making them skip their best friends birthday party for a private training, they won't enjoy going.
How often does your player grab a ball and just knock it around the yard/street/house? If she has friends over and they are playing outside do they ever grab a soccer ball? Do they play soccer at recess?

It sounds like you have a fairly young player. I think it's important that it still feels like fun for a young athlete.
If you are making them wake up at 6:00 am on a Sunday, they likely won't enjoy going. If you are making them skip their best friends birthday party for a private training, they won't enjoy going.
How often does your player grab a ball and just knock it around the yard/street/house? If she has friends over and they are playing outside do they ever grab a soccer ball? Do they play soccer at recess?

Hello timbuck,

I have two kids who I might consider this for, 11 and 15. My 11 year old just started club and wants badly to improve and be a solid starter. His brother would like to help him when he can, but will be starting cross country next week and goes to a pretty tough high school. For my 15 year old, his goial is to improve as much as possible and then decide if he can tryout for professional teams or play in college. He is very serious about soccer and pretty much plays with friends or by himself daily. He started club at a later age (14) but adapted to the pace and level, earning a starting position. While I fully understand the tiny percentage of players who can actually go beyond college ball, I just want to be supportive of him.

If you ask most parrents on your childs team they will tell you what private training their child is doing and with who. At younger ages, getting additional training on proper technique and more touches on the ball can be extremely helpful with your childs early developement to get them to a more competative level, (if they are trying to achieve that).. I recommend you ask Parrents who your child is already friends with if it would be possible to join in any privates or additional trainings their child may be taking part in., Odds are they would welcome it, as all younge players enjoy playing with there friends and Parrents like the discounted rate they will recieve by having one more attend the trainings. Try it out and measure the results for yourself. Ask the parents what results they have gotten.
In olders Its my opinoin, its very important to have some periodic private training/coaching. As most of us parents lack the ability and soccer knowledge necassary to properly assit in furthering our childs developement for them to achieve their goals. Very few of us parents can identiy and help them work on weaknesses and issues with their game as they get older..
Few thing i will say about privates is to shop around and look for someone who your child will work hard for, and who can connect and modivate your child. Also if your going to look to join with other players ensure thay are at or above your childs skill level. And lastly, be realistic on how much time and money you and your child are willing to invest before starting..
Private coaching isnt a must do, in my opinoin. It's like private tutoring in School, You have to look at your Child s level and what your child is looking to achieve.
My DD attends privates periodically , mostly because i lack the ability to instuct or assist her properly at her now level of play. And if my DD later is having trouble in her AP Calculus classes, ill be looking for a tutor and ill be asking parents if i can join with their Child to reduce the Cost of that.....

Thank you, this is helpful. Funny enough, I have found that some parents do not want to share this info. It has been the players who have mostLy shared whether they practice with a private coach. Some parents, though. Not all.

Thank you, this is helpful. Funny enough, I have found that some parents do not want to share this info. It has been the players who have mostLy shared whether they practice with a private coach. Some parents, though. Not all.

Ouch. Maybe find another team with parents that are supportive of all players and not the ones that are trying to protect their kids spot on the team.

Ouch. Maybe find another team with parents that are supportive of all players and not the ones that are trying to protect their kids spot on the team.

LOL. We did this season. In honesty, the parents weren't too bad. I only sensed that one or two moms were stand offish or competitive. I mostly ignored it.

Did you find a trainer for your kids? Where do you live? I know a few in the north San Diego county area.

Been going to Burgi Hoffman at Premier Youth Soccer Academy for about a year and a half. His training is great (always current on methods), his pricing is beyond reasonable and his camps are great as well. If you are in South OC I highly recommend him - as long as you are serious and the type of person who wont miss sessions.

We've done them and then not done them. At some clubs, it's almost mandatory, at least if you want to get in front of the "right" coaches. A true pay to play system. Our current club doesn't push them and my kid hasn't done them. And her game's still fine and improving.

I'd probably agree that as players get older, getting one-on-one coaching is important. Same goes with any sport really. Technique, small details become very important at that stage.

Only caveat to my input is that if you're a goalie, you MUST get training. Fortunately, most clubs offer keeper training as part of the program.

My opinion on private training is do it if your player is serious about getting better and getting to the next level (could be going from Tier 2 to Tier 1, going from a smaller club to a more recognized "big" club, moving from rec to club, etc.). I also think that the private trainer should be someone who is not your current coach. More than that, the private trainer should be outside of your current club.

The private trainer I use for my dd does not even coach at her age group or in the SCDSL league. As a result, he does not see her outside of private training. I like the idea of having different coaches with different teaching methods working with her.

There is no one size fits all solution to this.

Any recommendations on private coaches in the Long Beach or surrounding area? Thanks in advance

We've done them and then not done them. At some clubs, it's almost mandatory, at least if you want to get in front of the "right" coaches. A true pay to play system. Our current club doesn't push them and my kid hasn't done them. And her game's still fine and improving.

I'd probably agree that as players get older, getting one-on-one coaching is important. Same goes with any sport really. Technique, small details become very important at that stage.

Only caveat to my input is that if you're a goalie, you MUST get training. Fortunately, most clubs offer keeper training as part of the program.
You partially right. Many clubs do offer goalkeeper training, but it's normally once a week and in a large group, so goalkeepers still need private training and I would say more than players in any other positions.

San Diego. Central.

In San Diego? Gabe Arrendondo at Rebels if you have a DD under 12. No one better at developing touch and comfort on the ball with both feet to point where it's unconscious and effortless. Not a yeller and screamer either. Kids very comfortable with him and his demeanor. You can always tell a GA product when you see them around so cal. Both my DDs did privates with him and still do occasional "touch ups". Both on Surf ECNL now. Can't recommend the guy enough.

Hello timbuck,

I have two kids who I might consider this for, 11 and 15. My 11 year old just started club and wants badly to improve and be a solid starter. His brother would like to help him when he can, but will be starting cross country next week and goes to a pretty tough high school. For my 15 year old, his goial is to improve as much as possible and then decide if he can tryout for professional teams or play in college. He is very serious about soccer and pretty much plays with friends or by himself daily. He started club at a later age (14) but adapted to the pace and level, earning a starting position. While I fully understand the tiny percentage of players who can actually go beyond college ball, I just want to be supportive of him.
Your 15 old needs a realistic assessment from someone not trying to sell you anything as to where he is at development wise. The vast majority of boys who go on to play in college are training too many times a week to run cross-country. I am sure there are a few exceptions but the boys who play soccer in college tend to play on the academy teams and other very competitive teams; they just don't have time for other sports once they get to high school.

Back