Get ready folks

soccer4us

SILVER ELITE
Back to July 31st cut off for age groups is incoming next year or so. The responses will be glorious when that is announced!

Back to July 31st cut off for age groups is incoming next year or so. The responses will be glorious when that is announced!

There has been a lot of smoke on this topic. Do you have any intel that strongly suggests this is happening?

There has been a lot of smoke on this topic. Do you have any intel that strongly suggests this is happening?
For now, I'm not sure if the older teams will be allowed to finish their careers out or not. My sources have confirmed it's happening but not sure on the exact time/how many ages would be grandfathered in to finish with current teams.

For now, I'm not sure if the older teams will be allowed to finish their careers out or not. My sources have confirmed it's happening but not sure on the exact time/how many ages would be grandfathered in to finish with current teams.
When is the announcement?

U14 is the last year when players are all in Middle School

U15 is when the trapped players are in Middle School and the rest of the team is in High School.

If ECNL was to grandfather teams they'd do it to U15 and up.

I think changing to school year is a mistake + a waste of time. Trapped players are generally better than their grade level classmates. If I was a recruiter I'd prioritize trapped players over grade level equivalents. Parents are the ones that like to complain about all the perceived issues trapped players have to persevere.

Any idea when they are going to announce the change?

ECNL only or USYS? How about MLS and GA?
It’s not going to be mls next. The problem is the mls academy teams compete with Europe which is by calendar year. So they are required to go by birth year. Nonacademy Mls next teams therefore will have to remain calendar year because they exist to serve the academy teams.

It’s not going to be mls next. The problem is the mls academy teams compete with Europe which is by calendar year. So they are required to go by birth year. Nonacademy Mls next teams therefore will have to remain calendar year because they exist to serve the academy teams.
That just sounds like a can of worms that one Academy will not switch because maybe 10% of their teams play in Europe sometimes… Also any team that’s not academy can’t just stay CY of governance says GY. Just sounds like it’s easier to stay GY than to change things up for some but not all.

That just sounds like a can of worms that one Academy will not switch because maybe 10% of their teams play in Europe sometimes… Also any team that’s not academy can’t just stay CY of governance says GY. Just sounds like it’s easier to stay GY than to change things up for some but not all.
It’s not just 10% of the academy teams. Academies are flying out to Europe for tournies and friendlies and European teams are coming here to play in their tournaments. It’s necessary to see how a particular academy stacks with the European academy, and to be certified eligible to play in some European activities it must be cy. It was the entire reason for the switch in the first place. The next teams are something different but they are there to serve as fodder for the academy teams and so play by their rules. The governance for mls next is the mls so they don’t care gy makes it easier to harmonize or to do college recruiting….they only care about developing the pros which in Europe is done by cy

I think changing to school year is a mistake + a waste of time. Trapped players are generally better than their grade level classmates. If I was a recruiter I'd prioritize trapped players over grade level equivalents. Parents are the ones that like to complain about all the perceived issues trapped players have to persevere.
Exactly. These ”trapped” players are in the best situation. If it’s being done to help the trapped players it’s ridiculous. If for example your on a 2010 ECNL team right now and your a 2029 your in an amazing spot. 80 to 90% of your team is in high school trying to make varsity and your getting extra training chillin in 8th grade. Next year you will go to high school and play varsity no doubt. Then you will get an extra looks for recruiting for college since your a year behind but your club team isn’t. It’s a ridiculous place to be in and not really fair honestly. If you argue they get screwed that last year of club who cares. The high level player was already recruited.

Exactly. These ”trapped” players are in the best situation. If it’s being done to help the trapped players it’s ridiculous. If for example your on a 2010 ECNL team right now and your a 2029 your in an amazing spot. 80 to 90% of your team is in high school trying to make varsity and your getting extra training chillin in 8th grade. Next year you will go to high school and play varsity no doubt. Then you will get an extra looks for recruiting for college since your a year behind but your club team isn’t. It’s a ridiculous place to be in and not really fair honestly. If you argue they get screwed that last year of club who cares. The high level player was already recruited.
If you’re talking about maybe the top 30% of trapped players I would agree but most ECNL teams trapped players are subs or just not rostered as often. The other 70% want the opportunity for their kid to develop and showcase with their grade. Which is why if they make the change many trapped players will immediately take the option to go down for better development.

I personally think it should stay BY but ECNL should add late development clause for trapped players. Give each team 3 spots they can use if it’s in a players best interest to do so.

You can always play up. Changing to grad year gives the trapped player the option to play down with his grade. He can still choose to play in his calendar-year team.

If you’re talking about maybe the top 30% of trapped players I would agree but most ECNL teams trapped players are subs or just not rostered as often. The other 70% want the opportunity for their kid to develop and showcase with their grade. Which is why if they make the change many trapped players will immediately take the option to go down for better development.

I personally think it should stay BY but ECNL should add late development clause for trapped players. Give each team 3 spots they can use if it’s in a players best interest to do so.
I agree that ECNL should just copy the MLS Next playbook and give late bloomers 3 spots to play down. This will solve the issue of most trapped players with minimal impact on the current BY.

Also the problem is kids who fall into the trapped player policy are under represented in the majority of youth soccer league for girls especially ECNL. Yes a trapped player on a 2011 team might be better than a player on 2012 but that November 11 player on average is a sub or fighting to make the roster while their Q1 2012 counterpart is getting lots of playing time, coaches attention, ODP team play. This system mixed with American culture to win/develop is terrible for the majority of kids not born January to June.

So has not been finalized yet? What makes you so confident US soccer will decide to switch.
I would say I've heard it from enough people "in the game". Directors of big club and of big league organization in CA. I really hope it's wrong but I believe it. Where there is smoke there is....in most cases. If it's not set by the end of 2024 then I'll believe I'm wrong. I think rumors will get stronger in November as that board meeting gets closer. Otherwise, it sounds like it's happening sometime in the near future. Of course, I bet many clubs don't fully change and still keep teams as is especially the HS ages.

Back