GA 2020-2021 Season

I don’t spread rumors.....I only know with 100% certainty that ECNL is supposed to make an announcement within a week.
So you have no idea? Please, if anyone knows the truth, it's you. Come on, give us some choice morsels. Do you have any rumor mill from the IE? I'm bored so just trying to get you to give up what you already know to be true is my hope. Can you at least tell us if you think SW ECNL will be the #1 league in socal for 2021/2022?

If the camps, call ups, etc. are not the path to national team, how are players identified then? How was Rose Lavelle found? Or Sam Mewis? Do their dads and moms know someone?

Or are you saying that is the path, but that getting called up is the easy part? And from there, the real work starts...

I guess if you are comparing the two: Getting there VS staying there, getting there is easier. Getting there is still is still an arduous undertaking, statistically reserved for the very few.

In Rose Lavelle's case, she's been on the YNT circuit since at least 2013 (freshman in college) and played in her first senior team game in 2017. Sam Mewis played on the U17 and U20 YNTs.

If the camps, call ups, etc. are not the path to national team, how are players identified then? How was Rose Lavelle found? Or Sam Mewis? Do their dads and moms know someone?

Or are you saying that is the path, but that getting called up is the easy part? And from there, the real work starts...
It is absolutely the path, but the funnel narrows, and players develop at different times. There are a hundred+ kids of any birth year called to youth camps at U14. Over the next 4-9 years, many more kids come in and out of the pool. If you didn’t stand out enough or get noticed or advocated for in club, then maybe you emerge in college. Then there are even more players being tracked by YNT that haven’t gotten called in yet. But there are maybe 1-2 players of any birth year on the full WNT. So you can see why most youth players don’t make the full WNT, the same way most college football players don’t make the NFL. It doesn’t mean the choices are bad - it means the funnel narrows.
Almost all full WNT players were in the YNT system, including Lavelle and Mewis.
So ya, getting called up is when the real work starts!

I like that. A prediction or statement with a date. Hope you are right. Need something soccer related to talk about.
I only want to talk soccer. 2021/2022 is looking really nice for my goat bro. HS Soccer is not looking good for this year so were all in with club. Time to make some soccer noise. Time to put up or stfu, right? Rankings for next season will be a blast. What's going on in AZ? 4 teams bro? Shales, how many Vegas teams 2021/2022 ECNL? I'm so back for soccer. I gave up politics for good ((I took the bait and never will again)) and through it in the trash. I only live for myself, my wife, my kids and soccer soccer soccer and more soccer. I'm taking this sport head on for 16 more months Hound :)

It is absolutely the path, but the funnel narrows, and players develop at different times.
Do you work for US Soccer? I’m relatively certain the notion of player development after 15-16 is a fallacy. Maybe clubs promote that players develop at different times to hustle parents out of their hard earned money but a 15 year old with 2 left ain’t gonna develop at 17 because of great coaching.

I haven’t seen any proof of late bloomers, so why do folks insist on promoting this foolishness?

I think @Soccer43 called this one. At best, US Soccer has their eyes on a few and the others are just practice cones. No need to give false hope.

Do you work for US Soccer? I’m relatively certain the notion of player development after 15-16 is a fallacy. Maybe clubs promote that players develop at different times to hustle parents out of their hard earned money but a 15 year old with 2 left ain’t gonna develop at 17 because of great coaching.

I haven’t seen any proof of late bloomers, so why do folks insist on promoting this foolishness?

I think @Soccer43 called this one. At best, US Soccer has their eyes on a few and the others are just practice cones. No need to give false hope.
Pay to cone.

Watch this YouTube video, expert would disagree with you on identifying talent, when and how best to do it.

I guess if you are comparing the two: Getting there VS staying there, getting there is easier. Getting there is still is still an arduous undertaking, statistically reserved for the very few.

In Rose Lavelle's case, she's been on the YNT circuit since at least 2013 (freshman in college) and played in her first senior team game in 2017. Sam Mewis played on the U17 and U20 YNTs.
Yes, and not in a U14, U15 or U16 camp - haven’t taken the time to do all the research yet but there are several in the full team that were not in the YNT system at all

Yes, and not in a U14, U15 or U16 camp - haven’t taken the time to do all the research yet but there are several in the full team that were not in the YNT system at all
Here are the first national team years listed for each currently rostered full WNT player. This doesn’t really tell us when they first entered the YNT system. These players were most likely tracked for a good while and were part of training centers and combines before they got their first call up to a team. Depends how you define “youth system” but I would say all of them were part of the youth system.
Jane CampbellU15
Abby DahlkemperU17
Tierna DavidsonU20
Crystal DunnU17
Julie ErtzU15
Lindsay HoranU17
Rose LavelleU18
Carli LloydU21
Catarina MacarioU14
Kristie MewisU17
Sam MewisU17
Alex MorganU20
Casey MurphyU20
Alyssa NaeherU16
Kelly O'HaraU16
Christen PressU20
Margaret PurceU17
Megan RapinoeU20
Becky SauerbrunnU16
Casey ShortU20
Sophia SmithU17
Emily SonnettU18
Lynn WilliamsU23

The first GA showcase starts day after tomorrow for us. Some say Scouts will be there. Others say no. My kid ready to focus on the game at hand and ignore who is or isn’t watching.
Appreciate the input on YNT call ups etc. yeah my kid checks some boxes but agree that the funnel is so tiny.

i know someone who’s kid is a top so cal swimmer- top of the US swimming pyramid - except that the pyramid has a flat top with thousands of swimmers with times that are 1/10ths of seconds apart. At the top of that flat topped pyramid, there’s a greased flagpole. That’s where the Olympic hopefuls are trying to scramble up!

Guess making USNT in soccer might be similar.

The first GA showcase starts day after tomorrow for us. Some say Scouts will be there. Others say no. My kid ready to focus on the game at hand and ignore who is or isn’t watching.
Appreciate the input on YNT call ups etc. yeah my kid checks some boxes but agree that the funnel is so tiny.

i know someone who’s kid is a top so cal swimmer- top of the US swimming pyramid - except that the pyramid has a flat top with thousands of swimmers with times that are 1/10ths of seconds apart. At the top of that flat topped pyramid, there’s a greased flagpole. That’s where the Olympic hopefuls are trying to scramble up!

Guess making USNT in soccer might be similar.
Best attitude ever bro. The greats never take opponent lightly and always bring it. The last three years in socal has sucked. 9-1, 12-2, 8-0 and so on scores was and is horrible for many who demand competitive games. I for one would go cray cray if the games were not competitive.

Watch this YouTube video, expert would disagree with you on identifying talent, when and how best to do it.

After watching the long video, I am confident Rasmus Ankersen would agree with my position. His position seems to be consistent with the education department at Cal and their Academic Talent Development Program. If you reference Howard Gardner’s theory of multiple intelligences you’ll see that sports/athleticism is an area of intelligence that can be developed. I think we agree on the theories but differ on the application. I maintain that it’s obvious by 16 who has the genetics and drive to succeed. My takeaway from Ankersen’s presentation was:
1). The best athletes probably have a genetic advantage;
2) The best athletes have a supportive environment (ex: Ethiopian distance runners);
3.) Talent that shouts is easy to identify (ex: Usain Bolt). but can be expensive and arrogant;
4.). There’s also talent that whispers.

A coach can spot talent that whispers by identifying the critical factors for success. According to Ankersen the critical factor for success is an athletes willingness to do extra work outside of structured practice. He gives the example of Simon Kjaer that was lazy and arrogant but improved by doing extra work after receiving psychological treatment. He also talks about Osafa Powell who wasn’t performing well but had a lot of potential because he never had professional coaching.

I think Ankersen’s presentation is consistent with my position. So, I would love to hear how/why you think this research is applicable to high achieving club soccer players that have benefited from professional and motivational coaching for the entirety of their sports career?

If we were talking about folks being identified from AYSO or Latino leagues, the analysis would be similar to Powell in that they are average performers who’s potential could be maximized with professional coaching but I don’t see how this applicable to club soccer and letter leagues.

I think the problem with club soccer and the letter leagues is that there are several players with the drive and environment but many lack the genetics.

Here are the first national team years listed for each currently rostered full WNT player. This doesn’t really tell us when they first entered the YNT system. These players were most likely tracked for a good while and were part of training centers and combines before they got their first call up to a team. Depends how you define “youth system” but I would say all of them were part of the youth system.
Jane CampbellU15
Abby DahlkemperU17
Tierna DavidsonU20
Crystal DunnU17
Julie ErtzU15
Lindsay HoranU17
Rose LavelleU18
Carli LloydU21
Catarina MacarioU14
Kristie MewisU17
Sam MewisU17
Alex MorganU20
Casey MurphyU20
Alyssa NaeherU16
Kelly O'HaraU16
Christen PressU20
Margaret PurceU17
Megan RapinoeU20
Becky SauerbrunnU16
Casey ShortU20
Sophia SmithU17
Emily SonnettU18
Lynn WilliamsU23
Thanks for saving me time in doing the research! For the most recent additions to the roster there is nothing younger than U17 level except for Macario. I am talking about the U14, 15, and 16 camp call-ups being somewhat meaningless. If you want to define “Youth System” as training centers and scouting at tournaments then every soccer player in country is in the youth system. I am talking about the holy grail of a call-up to an actual YNT camp.

Thanks for saving me time in doing the research! For the most recent additions to the roster there is nothing younger than U17 level except for Macario. I am talking about the U14, 15, and 16 camp call-ups being somewhat meaningless. If you want to define “Youth System” as training centers and scouting at tournaments then every soccer player in country is in the youth system. I am talking about the holy grail of a call-up to an actual YNT camp.
Me and one of the oldest coaches in OC had some great talks about these "so called" call ups. It was only used to steal goats from clubs that didnt fit the new philosphy the old GDA shoved down our faces and wallets. The world is watching they told us. We need to destroy the Blues way to play and ECNL. 99% of the parents and kids got robbed with so many lies, its a been one big lie. Using The List to get kids to leave a club for another club who now had control of who and why one makes the U14 National Team is powerful. Meaningless in the holy grail of the top squad is true, but it's has much value I have learned that is very meaningful to certain clubs and their parents. This is business 101 class 43 and having the power & control on who makes The List is what drives market share. Trust me, I lived it and took really good notes. Emails, texts and videos. It's all right there for anyone who wants to look.

Yesterday, I watched the Anelka documentary on Netflix. It was interesting when Anelka was explaining to his kids that he went to Clairefontaine at 13 and I believe Henry commented that by 14, 15, 16 it’s clear who has what it takes. This morning, I also watched CoCo Gauf (16 y/o) get defeated in the Australian Open. I wonder what data or research USSF has to justify their position or is the development timeline being adversely influenced by the club soccer lobbyists?

Recent like Sophia Smith? She was playing for the U17 national team by 15 years old and called into U23 camp by age 16. Her first camp invite was a U14. The dates listed above are the first time players played for a national team. There aren’t always competitions at the younger ages.

Back