Essential Economics for Politicians

We have to know all history, not selectively.
Who's being selective? You still haven't answered what the fundamental differences between Roman and modern American monetary policies are. Like E-nanke said I've gone from 4th Century to 1890 and beyond from Europe to the U.S. to South America. Please let me know what relevant history I've left out.

You are missing the cause of the Boom and Bust cycle. Did you know that Canada has never had a financial crisis? They've (Canada) had recessions which are not the same as a Boom and Bust cycle that lead to all U.S. financial crisis from the depression to present day. Recessions are healthy corrections to the market when not bailed out by inflating the money supply through so called quantitative easing. How perverted that, in the U.S., inflating money supply causes booms followed by bust that rely on a rescue plan that further inflates the money supply through so called quantitative easing.
Cite a country with a central bank whose directors are appointed by the government hardly supports your argument.

Who's being selective? You still haven't answered what the fundamental differences between Roman and modern American monetary policies are. Like E-nanke said I've gone from 4th Century to 1890 and beyond from Europe to the U.S. to South America. Please let me know what relevant history I've left out.
The 44 recessions before the Fed was created.

You are missing the cause of the Boom and Bust cycle. Did you know that Canada has never had a financial crisis? They've (Canada) had recessions which are not the same as a Boom and Bust cycle that lead to all U.S. financial crisis from the depression to present day. Recessions are healthy corrections to the market when not bailed out by inflating the money supply through so called quantitative easing. How perverted that, in the U.S., inflating money supply causes booms followed by bust that rely on a rescue plan that further inflates the money supply through so called quantitative easing.

Canada has had a centralized banking under a government system that the WSJ has called "liberal democracy". Are you sure you want to pursue this? It's a big deviation from your usual position of free market conservatism.

Canada has had a centralized banking under a government system that the WSJ has called "liberal democracy". Are you sure you want to pursue this? It's a big deviation from your usual position of free market conservatism.
"Liberal" here doesn't mean progressive as opposed to conservative. It means protection of minority and individual rights.

I would love to pursue it! How about you? Why did WSJ call it a "liberal democracy"? Post the link if you like. That way someone can read and explain it to you. I doubt that a deviation will arise.

Ah yes, Calomiris and Haber wrote the book I have referenced here before, "Fragile by Design". So, where is the deviation. I don't see any. You should read the linked paper in the article that you link or the book "Fragile by Design" . It is chocked full of banking and economic history. Thanks for bringing this up.

Where is the free market capitalism you are so fond of?

Calomiris and Haber Podcast interview on Fragile by Design:

So the basic idea of the book is that banking systems are fragile by design because it is impossible to take politics out of bank regulation. And it's impossible to do so because there are inherent conflicts of interest between government and banking systems such that banks need governments and governments need banks. Those conflicts of interest basically boil down to three features. First, governments simultaneously regulate banks and borrow from banks. Second, governments simultaneously use their police power in order to enforce debt contracts on behalf of banks; but people who are being, let's say, forced out of their houses because they've defaulted on a mortgage are voters, and so when banking crises occur governments often have reasons to not enforce those debt contracts. Third, governments are in charge of liquidating failed banks. But the biggest group of creditors to a bank when a bank is liquidated are its depositors--who are voters. And so governments have incentives to change the rules of government deposit insurance for political ends--so often extend deposit insurance beyond its statutory limits. Because of those three basic inherent conflicts of interest, it's extremely difficult to remove politics from banking. Governments have, or parties inside the government have inherent reasons for wanting to use the banking system for their own ends, and at the same time, bankers need the government in order to do things like enforce debt contracts. There's no getting politics out.

http://www.econtalk.org/archives/2014/02/calomiris_and_h.html

Good question. Read above.

What does that have to do with Canada?

Canadian government has a long history of interfering with Canadian industry, ostensibly to help the Canadian workers and investors - agriculture, railroads, aircraft, automobiles, lumber, mining, fishing...

What does that have to do with Canada?

Canadian government has a long history of interfering with Canadian industry, ostensibly to help the Canadian workers and investors - agriculture, railroads, aircraft, automobiles, lumber, mining, fishing...
Ostensibly? Please continue.

Back