East County Surf ousts Director of Football

Jason Aldous appears to be out at East County Surf. What rumour have you heard as to why?
I seem to remember someone saying that ECS and LegendsSD (formerly Sharks) would be the way to the future. I said we'll see, the one constant I've seen in youth soccer over the years is change.

Hopefully these are both changes in the right direction. East County has talent, and LegendSD is only being held back by legacy leadership.

Good club at the u littles with their top teams competing at F1 level

My very informal rankings would have them somewhere between 6-10 out of all San Diego county clubs , which is pretty good.

E64 ain’t a draw to keep players in once 11v11 starts

EC gets heavily pouched by all sides. SDSC Surf, Rebels, Surf Del Mar and legends SD. Not sure how any leadership can remedy the situation? Girls get into GA? Boys into EA? Not sure what they could do otherwise. Maybe girls get into ECNL RL SoCal? However, I feel ECN RL SoCal to be the equivalent of E64.

EC gets heavily pouched by all sides. SDSC Surf, Rebels, Surf Del Mar and legends SD. Not sure how any leadership can remedy the situation? Girls get into GA? Boys into EA? Not sure what they could do otherwise. Maybe girls get into ECNL RL SoCal? However, I feel ECN RL SoCal to be the equivalent of E64.
In Socal for girls the general process is do well in SOCAL league and use the results to get into either DPL or ECRL. From there do well in DPL or ECRL and leverage that to play in GA or ECNL.

With ECS there seems to be a lack of focus in leadership and cohesion to a single goal. Unless you consider E64 the single focus goal.

The east county teams remind me of Oceanside Breakers. They have leadership and players that love soccer but they don't really care about leagues or traveling to play.

Did you know that Oceanside Breakers was founded in 1977? They've been being themselves and just doing what they do for a long time. San Diego Surf was also founded in 1977 and look where they are now. Different clubs have different priorities.

In Socal for girls the general process is do well in SOCAL league and use the results to get into either DPL or ECRL. From there do well in DPL or ECRL and leverage that to play in GA or ECNL.

With ECS there seems to be a lack of focus in leadership and cohesion to a single goal. Unless you consider E64 the single focus goal.

The east county teams remind me of Oceanside Breakers. They have leadership and players that love soccer but they don't really care about leagues or traveling to play.

Did you know that Oceanside Breakers was founded in 1977? They've been being themselves and just doing what they do for a long time. San Diego Surf was also founded in 1977 and look where they are now. Different clubs have different priorities.
One of my DD played there for a year a couple years ago. At the time it was the second team for that age division. The following year the top team had all fled to SD Surf Del Mar and my DD was playing up a year and we left to SDSC Surf. Partly the issue is half the parents as well. More than half the parents were not interested in competing in top tournaments, or playing as often, cared to move to flight 1, or had an understanding what happens when teams move on to 11vs11 and clubs move on to GA, Ecnl etc. The point being is if parents don’t really care to compete at a higher level what is the club to do as well? The more competitive kids/parents and talent that moves to clubs with GA and ECNL and it ends up leaving EC further behind the curve. Therefore, the parents are as much to blame as the director. Totally open to hearing another perspective on this issue. On another note I also find it hard to believe SD can seem to field a 3rd competitive ECNL team sharks now legends? Is the pool really just not that deep as it is compared to Orange County?

EC Surf had it in their hands, but threw it away. A few years ago they were accepted into the DPL, EC Surf and DPL made the social media announcements, and teams were put together. Then a couple months later, the new "Elite 64" rushed to the market, and the gullible EC Surf executive board decided to drop DPL for E64 🤦‍♂️. It was obvious to many that the team selections were not being made by the coaches, but instead determined by the parents sitting on the executive board and coaching for the club. A lot of good players recognized the situation, and went to play elsewhere.

After about 6 months of E64 League play, the top players that remained recognized the league was a marketing ploy, and not an Elite group of clubs; most of the top players then moved to clubs with GA/ECNL. Then many of the quality coaches jumped ship because they were not able to make player movement/changes within their own teams. EC Surf still has some good players and coaches, but the teams are not what they were. If EC Surf wanted to salvage their current situation they would drop E64 like a bad habit, and convince SOCAL League to add their top teams (E64) to this years ECRL SoCal group before the League play starts. The longer they wait to move on from E64 the worse it is going to be for them.

Unfortunately switching the Director of Football is not going to change much at the club. JA is the owner/controlling member of the club. The Executive Board needs to be changed out completely. They should open up the board positions via elections with the family of each player in the club getting a vote.

EC Surf had it in their hands, but threw it away. A few years ago they were accepted into the DPL, EC Surf and DPL made the social media announcements, and teams were put together. Then a couple months later, the new "Elite 64" rushed to the market, and the gullible EC Surf executive board decided to drop DPL for E64 🤦‍♂️. It was obvious to many that the team selections were not being made by the coaches, but instead determined by the parents sitting on the executive board and coaching for the club. A lot of good players recognized the situation, and went to play elsewhere.

After about 6 months of E64 League play, the top players that remained recognized the league was a marketing ploy, and not an Elite group of clubs; most of the top players then moved to clubs with GA/ECNL. Then many of the quality coaches jumped ship because they were not able to make player movement/changes within their own teams. EC Surf still has some good players and coaches, but the teams are not what they were. If EC Surf wanted to salvage their current situation they would drop E64 like a bad habit, and convince SOCAL League to add their top teams (E64) to this years ECRL SoCal group before the League play starts. The longer they wait to move on from E64 the worse it is going to be for them.

Unfortunately switching the Director of Football is not going to change much at the club. JA is the owner/controlling member of the club. The Executive Board needs to be changed out completely. They should open up the board positions via elections with the family of each player in the club getting a vote.
Just to throw some gas on the fire. You should check out the formerly Sharks BOD, can you say construction buddies and associates of SMs dad? There's a reason SM has been able to fail as long as she has.

Just to throw some gas on the fire. You should check out the formerly Sharks BOD, can you say construction buddies and associates of SMs dad? There's a reason SM has been able to fail as long as she has.
Eight posts into an EC Surf thread and your already talking about the Sharks? 🤣🤣🤣. Show us where the bad Shark hurt you; it's possible you could use some profesional therapy to get over whatever happened between you and the Sharks.

One of my DD played there for a year a couple years ago. At the time it was the second team for that age division. The following year the top team had all fled to SD Surf Del Mar and my DD was playing up a year and we left to SDSC Surf. Partly the issue is half the parents as well. More than half the parents were not interested in competing in top tournaments, or playing as often, cared to move to flight 1, or had an understanding what happens when teams move on to 11vs11 and clubs move on to GA, Ecnl etc. The point being is if parents don’t really care to compete at a higher level what is the club to do as well? The more competitive kids/parents and talent that moves to clubs with GA and ECNL and it ends up leaving EC further behind the curve. Therefore, the parents are as much to blame as the director. Totally open to hearing another perspective on this issue. On another note I also find it hard to believe SD can seem to field a 3rd competitive ECNL team sharks now legends? Is the pool really just not that deep as it is compared to Orange County?
I am under the impression that what was Shark’s will be the only ECNL as it was before just under the Legends branding. In that aspect I don’t think much will change. Other than, they can now officially can say they have ECNL in San Diego. With that being said I feel that could be a significant contender for Surf SD.

Eight posts into an EC Surf thread and your already talking about the Sharks? 🤣🤣🤣. Show us where the bad Shark hurt you; it's possible you could use some profesional therapy to get over whatever happened between you and the Sharks.
It's a direct correlation.

Both clubs have the same issue poor leadership.

JA has been fired

Ask most referees about EC Surf spectators and they will tell you they are some of the most uninformed and obnoxious in SD county. Most of their coaches are not ones to yell at the referees, so it is surprising their spectators are so out of control. Hopefully new leadership get the spectators under control.

Ask most referees about EC Surf spectators and they will tell you they are some of the most uninformed and obnoxious in SD county. Most of their coaches are not ones to yell at the referees, so it is surprising their spectators are so out of control. Hopefully new leadership get the spectators under control.
I can't speak for youth soccer, since my son never played youth soccer in EC. He did play HS soccer for one year and part of the reason he no longer plays is due a certain element of bad behavior that is shared by both player and parent. We had parents threaten refs on the field and wait for them after the game. The coach did little to address the situation and excused it as passion.

On another note, East County has plenty of great soccer players, but the EC clubs haven't been able to get their act together to retain those players and develop competitive teams.

I can't speak for youth soccer, since my son never played youth soccer in EC. He did play HS soccer for one year and part of the reason he no longer plays is due a certain element of bad behavior that is shared by both player and parent. We had parents threaten refs on the field and wait for them after the game. The coach did little to address the situation and excused it as passion.

On another note, East County has plenty of great soccer players, but the EC clubs haven't been able to get their act together to retain those players and develop competitive teams.
To clarify HS in EC.

Back