D1 changes

The key here is what a P4 increases first. My guess is football and basketball since they are the money makers. That would be 22 more scholarships for men. Title IX means they need to add another 22 scholarships to women, subtract 22 from other men's sports, or a combination of both. Getting rid of the men's soccer team completely saves 10 spots. Add 2 to womens Softball, Track, Soccer, Tennis, Volleyball and golf and and you are done.
Clear for P4 schools. But what about all the D1 schools that don't have big, profitable football programs, like most Big West schools. What is the impact there?

Here is the revenue-sharing cap estimates from the plaintiff's economic expert. Again, these are only estimates and will likely change, but it's interesting: Year 1 at $23.1 million & escalating to nearly $33 million in Year 10.

Attachments

• 20240726_175508.png
    20240726_175508.png
    69 KB · Views: 41
Clear for P4 schools. But what about all the D1 schools that don't have big, profitable football programs, like most Big West schools. What is the impact there?
An important note in the settlement:

Not defendants - schools and conferences in G5, FCS, etc - are bound by the roster limits, reporting system & enforcement mechanism *only* if they choose to share revenue with athletes. They can opt-out.

What I read is 22% cap on revenue shared. That doesn't include scholarships etc.

The lawyers are aiming for 50% of total revenue shared at some schools. All athletes are group as a single entity and money is shared equally. This is problematic because with too many athletes the money that goes to football players is diluted. That's the most important sports. Just have enough female athletes for title ix. Cut all other mens sports. Pay market rate for football players.

Steve Berman, co-lead counsel for the athletes, said reaching a near 50/50 revenue split was their intent during negotiations.

"That was what was in our heads, yes," Berman said.

The 50/50 split calculation considers all athletes at the school as one group rather than on a sport-by-sport basis. For example, it is highly unlikely that football players -- who generate the majority of revenue for most schools -- will receive 50% of the money that the football team generates. Some of those benefits have to be shared equitably due to Title IX regulations. The settlement does not provide detailed instructions on how to apply Title IX to these new benefits, leaving some potentially tricky decisions up to each individual school.

Expect tough times for the Big West, WCC, and WAC who will be on the hook for 250K per school for the next 10 years. Even P4 schools might have some difficulties with possible bills of 600K per year. I don't see many schools adding any scholarships.

There is a fantastic analyst that i follow on Twitter. He has the absolute best breakdowns and graphics that are made for everyone to understand. @TJAltimore 263395-a8f799d5157c941be08b270f2891aaec.jpg263397-3ceecc9948028c865ddfa57ad5cb7708.jpg263396-a7ccc9b35ba578c1967d3e09c95c2768.jpg263399-f87f71c3e45a651627c2b1f9182409ea.jpg263398-2d3c89fce369b2240bc4d6c74fd21c97.jpg

Expect tough times for the Big West, WCC, and WAC who will be on the hook for 250K per school for the next 10 years. Even P4 schools might have some difficulties with possible bills of 600K per year. I don't see many schools adding any scholarships.

$250k is 1% of a $25m athletic budget. Doesn't seem like end of the world. However, agree that increased scholarships are still unlikely.

Imma need some help understanding this. Men's lacrosse just went from 12.5 scholarships to 48??? How the hell are schools going to fund that? Do lacrosse teams (besides maybe Notre Dame) even have 48 players on the team? I'm so confused.
48 is now the roster limit. It's up to the school to give as many scholarships as they wish up to 48. Until now rosters were open for all sport except footbal which was capped at 85 but scholarships were capped for each sport.

12.5 was the max allowable equivalent scholarships per school. School could split that up anyway they wanted, partial or full.

There is no longer a limit on scholarships only max rosters for each sports. The school can determine how many of those on roster are getting aid.

The rich will stockpile the best players and pay them. All the other schools will be canon fodder.

All of this speculation is fun, but I just talked to the men's head soccer coach of a P5 school and all he could say was, "nobody knows what's going to happen".

That's like the most "coach" take I have ever heard. Classic šŸ˜

Good news or bad news is this all has to come to a conclusion before NLI signings and the portal window becase you can't sign NLIs or cut kids to make the roster limits if you wait longer.

So it won't be long now before Coach knows exactly what he is in for for 2025-26.

Imma need some help understanding this. Men's lacrosse just went from 12.5 scholarships to 48??? How the hell are schools going to fund that? Do lacrosse teams (besides maybe Notre Dame) even have 48 players on the team? I'm so confused.
Give 48 to the men (36 more) means you would have to give 36 more to the women.

Sorry, I am new to the party here. In a nutshell, what's going on here? Too lazy to read through everything. :D
Instead of getting a 1/4 scholarships to play college soccer, kids are now possibly getting no scholarships. So in other words, we should just play soccer for the love of the game and not worry about college soccer.

What?! Where were you $80,000 ago?
I tried to sound the alarm back when my dd was in 8th grade and just won a Natty. My gosh, we had this thing called "College night" and all the 6th, 7th and 8th graders were invited. The great Olivia had committed to NC and all the parents were told, "Hurry the hell up and have your dd send email to coaches so they can make offer." I was shocked with the pressure they put on these little girls. I know my kid was just playing for the love of the game and not the college deal. I was pissed off in 2017 but I'm not anymore. Wow, things have sure changed.

Instead of getting a 1/4 scholarships to play college soccer, kids are now possibly getting no scholarships. So in other words, we should just play soccer for the love of the game and not worry about college soccer.
There might seem like all kinds of escape routes in the new NCAA revenue sharing contract but there's a natural checks and balances happening with players no matter what colleges do.

NIL has opened the door to agents representing players. If Colleges choose to screw over players and continue to not pay them they're going to force players into creating a players union. Once a players union is in place all players will strike as a whole and if their demands aren't met there will be no college bowl games for a season.

NCAA is trying to get colleges to continue to work together giving student athletes as little a possible but making it seem like the world. If colleges get greedy it will push players into retaliating.

College sport is very confusing for students and parents.
1) Playing sports to get money (scholarships)?
2) Playing sports to get to better schools (better than your high school academic results)?
3) Playing sports for recreation and health reason?
4) Playing sports as a stepping stone to pro career?

I think some students are not clear with their goals.
If it is for pro career, definitely should transfer if not enough playing time.
If it is for money, just go to whichever college gives you free tuition. Sitting on the bench is even better so you can focus on your academic.

Back